Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

35 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

At the moment 1545 its snowing quite heavily here in North Shropshire. Wolves are only 25 miles away down the A41. I will keep an eye on their site and the local Express and star to see if there are any problems with their selections.According to neighbors who are Wolves supporters they are not in the least confident for Thursday any more than we are with our injury and selection problems. Watch this space.

They must be feeling a lot more confident after results of the last few weeks? 

Big boost for us to have KWP available, I'm not so keen on Salisu coming straight in, especially if it's going to be -5 Poor conditions need to be composed avoid making errors. Wolves Portuguese contingent might not fancy it. 

In recent times I can't recall many good performances up at Molineux , was the last win the 6-0? We've thrown away so many leads against them. 

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Appreciate your opinion, but I just cannot get into that mindset. Why are people worried about the league and not getting points etc?

We are as safe as houses, not even within a sniff of being in a 'battle', so to me...this seems like the perfect opportunity to put all eggs in the cup basket. Put the strongest 11 out in the FA Cup as opposed to the league. 

Finishing 11th or 10th, or winning the cup....not really a tough call!

image.thumb.png.2c00fb65ca280149af037f241bf1b6b8.png

Boy's not wrong.... 😉

Think I took a bit of a hit on this one! Maybe I didn't word my original post too well! Certainly not against us winning anything and it would be fantastic to progress. Think I was just in a depressive rut after watching us get nothing against Villa, torn apart by United and embarrassed against nine men!

Holds up imaginary white flag!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Armstrong pictured in the training gallery on the OS so hopefully he's available for Thursday :)

Ralph often says Armstrong struggles with playing every three days and tends to pick up muscle injuries.

I think he will leave him for Sunday.

Ralph says Mohammed Salisu is also “fit and available to play.”

This feels horribly like the run up to Jankewitz's debut. 

Big hype, where the hell is he .... red card within 2 minutes ....Gulp

I guess if he doesn't play Thursday, we are unlikely to see him this season. Let's just get it over and done with. Oh and maybe cut him some slack.

Two nervous, out of form teams face each other on Thursday. Should be interesting.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Ralph often says Armstrong struggles with playing every three days and tends to pick up muscle injuries.

But he didn’t play at Newcastle..if he’s fit he plays .. one of our in form better players this season ! Fuck the league top six is gone ! 

6 hours ago, JRM said:

They must be feeling a lot more confident after results of the last few weeks? 

Big boost for us to have KWP available, I'm not so keen on Salisu coming straight in, especially if it's going to be -5 Poor conditions need to be composed avoid making errors. Wolves Portuguese contingent might not fancy it. 

In recent times I can't recall many good performances up at Molineux , was the last win the 6-0? We've thrown away so many leads against them. 

Salisu might catch that cold 🥶 feet 🦶 syndrome like Alison had at Anfield mauling against city last Sunday 😬🤭

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Yes I remember Ralph saying that before so I think you could be right there. However Stuart didn't feature against Newcastle so hopefully he is fit for this one :)

Edited by davefizzy14

5 hours ago, disconnect said:

If Salisu does play, we’ve got to expect him to be pretty rusty after so long out and his first game in a new team. Fingers crossed he has a good game if he does play and he can build it from there!

Would rather him not play in this game, bed him in the league games as they are pretty much pointless now. A cup final is a great target from here on in.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Would rather him not play in this game, bed him in the league games as they are pretty much pointless now. A cup final is a great target from here on in.

Indeed. Thursday night is absolutely the worst time to give him his debut after all this time. He's on a hiding to nothing in a one-off event.

Stick with Vest and Bednarek. Jan will be keen to make amends. Give Salisu a go at the weekend.

With KWP back, Diallo, Walcott and Armstrong out then the team pretty much picks itself. The only real decision is what side to play Djenepo and Redmond. As a complete wild card, I guess a youngster could play in one of those positions, Tella, maybe. 

5 hours ago, skintsaint said:

League games are pointless? I mean, I know that is literally true recently but they are surely the priority?

Yep, would much rather see Salisu make his debut in a non-critical game (whilst 'important', league games are no longer 'critical' given we're now inextricably heading for a mid table finish). However, reading between the lines of Ralph's press conference yesterday, I did get the impression that he's strongly considering starting him tomorrow. 

Edited by trousers

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, would much rather her see Salisu make his debut in a non-critical game (whilst 'important', league games are no longer 'critical' given we're now inextricably heading for a mid table finish). However, reading between the lines of Ralph's press conference yesterday, I did get the impression that he's strongly considering starting him tomorrow. 

Probably thinking of taking Bednarek out of the firing line for a couple of matches?

11 hours ago, disconnect said:

If Salisu does play, we’ve got to expect him to be pretty rusty after so long out and his first game in a new team. Fingers crossed he has a good game if he does play and he can build it from there!

I think we should be putting out our strongest team for the cup, as it's our only shot now at winning something. I'll be a bit disappointed if he starts to be honest, having not played a game of football in 7-8 months. Bring him on if we're 2-3 up for some minutes, fine.

44 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, would much rather see Salisu make his debut in a non-critical game (whilst 'important', league games are no longer 'critical' given we're now inextricably heading for a mid table finish). However, reading between the lines of Ralph's press conference yesterday, I did get the impression that he's strongly considering starting him tomorrow. 

We’ve just shipped 18 goals in five games..if he’s not playing Thursday it says little about our due diligence before signing him.

What’s more, Ralph’s priority will be the league so if he plays to the expected level he’ll be in Sunday as well.

56 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

We’ve just shipped 18 goals in five games..if he’s not playing Thursday it says little about our due diligence before signing him.

What’s more, Ralph’s priority will be the league so if he plays to the expected level he’ll be in Sunday as well.

Fair point. I can see pros and cons on both sides of the argument here. I don't think there's a right or wrong approach with which of these two Wolves games Salisu makes his debut in. Just different opinions. Which is why I'm glad Ralph is the manager and I'm not :)

16 minutes ago, LeG said:

Just watched the press conference. Loads of players singled out for not performing, except for one....Redmond. For me, he has been massively frustrating every time he plays. Its been said a million times that he has a lot of ability, but rarely ever uses it? He needs a huge kick up the arse imo. 

I've always been a big fan of NR, but his performances this season have been unforgivably bad.  He's always been a confidence player, but he looks like he's forgotten how to do anything useful in the final third.

28 minutes ago, LeG said:

Just watched the press conference. Loads of players singled out for not performing, except for one....Redmond. For me, he has been massively frustrating every time he plays. Its been said a million times that he has a lot of ability, but rarely ever uses it? He needs a huge kick up the arse imo. 

I can only put it down to confidence. Always too safe and predictable. 

he’s got it in him to be a top player, but generally speaking he has more bad games than good. 

Ralph needs to install that confidence to take a man on, a bit like Djenepo does. It won’t always last work, but I don’t think anyone would give him stick for trying. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

Ralph needs to install that confidence to take a man on, a bit like Djenepo does. It won’t always last work, but I don’t think anyone would give him stick for trying. 

That's the problem though. Plenty on here give Theo stick for losing possession high up the pitch after trying to take 1 or 2 players on. it's the same for Redz but he plays more safe cos he doesnt want to leave his defender exposed on the counter. So Ralph will be happy with his defensive qualities but I do agree with you - he needs to try and beat his man and put a cross in above knee height occasionally. Or just play Djenepo who is much more unpredictable for the opposition (and us) but less disciplined although in recent games it looks like he has been working on his defensive responsibilities.

56 minutes ago, Chickendippers said:

That's the problem though. Plenty on here give Theo stick for losing possession high up the pitch after trying to take 1 or 2 players on. it's the same for Redz but he plays more safe cos he doesnt want to leave his defender exposed on the counter. So Ralph will be happy with his defensive qualities but I do agree with you - he needs to try and beat his man and put a cross in above knee height occasionally. Or just play Djenepo who is much more unpredictable for the opposition (and us) but less disciplined although in recent games it looks like he has been working on his defensive responsibilities.

The difference is, Theo looks like bambi on ice when it comes to anything near end product. For his many faults, Redmond has some technical ability about him. 

you’re right about the idea of Ralph being happy with him though, our system is essentially there to recycle the ball and go back if the break isn’t on. So it is possibly a tactical thing, although he’s done it under many mangers now. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

The difference is, Theo looks like bambi on ice when it comes to anything near end product. For his many faults, Redmond has some technical ability about him. 

you’re right about the idea of Ralph being happy with him though, our system is essentially there to recycle the ball and go back if the break isn’t on. So it is possibly a tactical thing, although he’s done it under many mangers now. 

Bambi on Ice! Walcott's finishing isn't great, but neither is Redmond's - I can't think of any aspect of Redmond's game that is better than Theo's TBH. 

It's amazing how all the commentators and pundits who have actually played the game have been saying how great Theo has been since his move here yet you come on here and people just slag him off. He took on more people in his first few games than I have seen Redmond beat in his entire Saints career. His movement is better, his defensive work is better, he keeps possession better. He's far from perfect but giving him a contact for next season makes way more sense than blowing £20 odd mill on some 'next big thing' from a foreign league who just ends up being shite sitting on the bench for years IMO.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Bambi on Ice! Walcott's finishing isn't great, but neither is Redmond's - I can't think of any aspect of Redmond's game that is better than Theo's TBH. 

It's amazing how all the commentators and pundits who have actually played the game have been saying how great Theo has been since his move here yet you come on here and people just slag him off. He took on more people in his first few games than I have seen Redmond beat in his entire Saints career. His movement is better, his defensive work is better, he keeps possession better. He's far from perfect but giving him a contact for next season makes way more sense than blowing £20 odd mill on some 'next big thing' from a foreign league who just ends up being shite sitting on the bench for years IMO.

That’s not your opinion, that’s just obvious and it’s a straw man argument. Nobody wants that, if we do spend £20m we want to sign somebody good.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SaintSteve said:

Why?

Ralph ≠ Poch

7 hours ago, SaintSteve said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The defence has been apalling and could probably do with heaving a couple of them out.

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

Why?

Ralph ≠ Poch

Indeed. It’s not like we have anything to play for in the league whereas we have an opportunity to get to a cup final. Fortunately Ralph seems to be taking the cup seriously so hopefully will be putting a strong side out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LeG said:

I wouldn't waste your energy. He's not going to change now. It's his character that's the problem - it isn't that he's not trying, it's that he loses belief at any minor setback and spends the rest of the game trying to minimise his mistakes thereafter.

Liverpool away a handful of years back - it might even have been THAT semi final - encapsulated everything Redmond is about. He absolutely terrorised their backline in the first half; he was direct, running straight at the box as soon as he picked up possession, twisting their centre backs inside and out. But ultimately there was no end product and he quickly lost heart.

In the second half he barely touched the ball, and when he did just passed it safely backwards while he went into hiding. It's who he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s not your opinion, that’s just obvious and it’s a straw man argument. Nobody wants that, if we do spend £20m we want to sign somebody good.

Obviously we want to sign someone good but my point is it is easy to spend £20mill+ nowadays and get someone who turns out to be shite. Every signing carries a risk, Walcott on a free might turn out to be the best option even if he’s on relatively high wages.

3 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I wouldn't waste your energy. He's not going to change now. It's his character that's the problem - it isn't that he's not trying, it's that he loses belief at any minor setback and spends the rest of the game trying to minimise his mistakes thereafter.

Liverpool away a handful of years back - it might even have been THAT semi final - encapsulated everything Redmond is about. He absolutely terrorised their backline in the first half; he was direct, running straight at the box as soon as he picked up possession, twisting their centre backs inside and out. But ultimately there was no end product and he quickly lost heart.

In the second half he barely touched the ball, and when he did just passed it safely backwards while he went into hiding. It's who he is.

Remember how he bounced back from being the fan's boo boy to POTY the following season? Would have been very easy to just give up on Saints at that point and look for a move. That would have been the safe option.

He has had a stop start season and I'm sure would be the first to admit he isn't happy with his form.

Do you really know him well enough to judge his character? Or is he just another footballer that plays well when confident and less well in other spells - like most attacking players aside from the really good ones?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Remember how he bounced back from being the fan's boo boy to POTY the following season? Would have been very easy to just give up on Saints at that point and look for a move. That would have been the safe option.

He has had a stop start season and I'm sure would be the first to admit he isn't happy with his form.

Do you really know him well enough to judge his character? Or is he just another footballer that plays well when confident and less well in other spells - like most attacking players aside from the really good ones?

Maybe we do not know his character, but it’s a fair assessment of his characteristics 

2 hours ago, nta786 said:

There would be no better feeling than to beat Everton in the semis and avenge for 1984, followed by beating Utd in the final to shut up our 9-0 demons.

One can dream...

Yep that's a sequence of events I can get excited about. 

Beat Everton last min of extra time. 

Make it happen Ralph. 

Statue of JWP and Gao holding the trophy to be erected outside the Itchen stand. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic