Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

The last few games watched on dodgy streams I've promised myself a drink at the end but then been too bleh and all desire had passed. Tonight I'm thinking of changing my approach and starting the game half cut, a bit like my normal pre-match pub anaesthesia when going to St. Marys. Wonder if it will work...

4 hours ago, nta786 said:

There would be no better feeling than to beat Everton in the semis and avenge for 1984, followed by beating Utd in the final to shut up our 9-0 demons.

One can dream...

Everton semi was supposed to be my first away game. But night before my Dad couldn't find the tickets. He tore the house apart overnight but we never did find them. So ended up not going. 

Was gutted at the time. But not as much as those who were there by the sounds of it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Little bastard Adrian Heath ! I was there with my dad and uncles only 10 years old .. Everton fans were atrocious that day 

There is a bit about it in the documentary Howards Way about the Everton team of that era. Quite a  weird story that Kevin Ratcliffe was wearing someone elses shorts that were to small for him in the first half, he was apparently awful. At half time he swapped shorts with Peter Reid as his were baggy and he apparently played superbly for the rest of the game. Howards way is well worth a watch, although they broke my heart that day, i was only 7, it's a good reminder of how football used to be. A pretty crap team can have their fortunes changed by appointing a decent manager who builds a very good team on a small budget without needing oil money.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

At least we now know for cetrain that Salisu exists and is in the country. Hope he can play as well.

I'm a little surprised that Bednarek starts ahead of Vestergaard , but perhaps Vestergaard isn't fully recovered and ready for a full cup tie.

Redmond.... about time he delivered something.

Hope we can win it in 90 minutes because there's not a great deal on the bench to replace tired legs.

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Salisu making a debut in a strong team so okay with that.

Let's hope his debut is more Minamino than Jankewitz.

Talking of Jankewitz, I was expected to see him on the bench (using the "best to get straight back on your bike after a fall" philosophy)... not sure if we can read anything into Ralph exclusing him from the squad. Probably a simple case of thinking his mind isn't in the right place yet I guess

Wolves twitter aren't too happy with their lineup- hasn't quite got the usual names they play but that midfield is strong. 

However, the odds have now dramatically changed and bookies see us favourite to win/qualify after the line-ups were announced!

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Wolves twitter aren't too happy with their lineup- hasn't quite got the usual names they play but that midfield is strong. 

However, the odds have now dramatically changed and bookies see us favourite to win/qualify after the line-ups were announced!

What were we before the line ups?

4 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Little bastard Adrian Heath ! I was there with my dad and uncles only 10 years old .. Everton fans were atrocious that day 

'Inchy' Heath.
We were the better team on the day despite having a half fit Steve Williams.
Created more chances then got done in the final few minutes from a throw in, just in front of us, which should have gone our way.
As a consequence a cross was put in that hit a bit of dislodged turf and flew up at the right height for Adrian Heath.
I think our fans were relatively naughty after the final whistle and the desperation of the day spilt over onto the pitch where they gave a good account of themselves (not that is to be condoned)
We then played Everton at the Dell the following mid week and won quite comfortably.
I would have been confident that the Saints team would have beaten Watford in the Final.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

'Inchy' Heath.
We were the better team on the day despite having a half fit Steve Williams.
Created more chances then got done in the final few minutes from a throw in, just in front of us, which should have gone our way.
As a consequence a cross was put in that hit a bit of dislodged turf and flew up at the right height for Adrian Heath.
I think our fans were relatively naughty after the final whistle and the desperation of the day spilt over onto the pitch where they gave a good account of themselves (not that is to be condoned)
We then played Everton at the Dell the following mid week and won quite comfortably.
I would have been confident that the Saints team would have beaten Watford in the Final.

Remember it well. Finished a 12 hour night shift and travelled straight up,coach driver got lost and we missed the start.

Referred to as the " Ugly face of football " in the papers next day.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Wolves vs Saints - Match Thread
17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Always love watching a debut. At last, we get to see him!

Hopefully we've unearthed a superstar! He's already gone one better than Forren, which is a relief!

Wolves team is a bit odd. Let's see what happens.

Yep always good to watch but I’m not expecting too much - just a solid start

4 hours ago, suewhistle said:

The last few games watched on dodgy streams I've promised myself a drink at the end but then been too bleh and all desire had passed. Tonight I'm thinking of changing my approach and starting the game half cut, a bit like my normal pre-match pub anaesthesia when going to St. Marys. Wonder if it will work...

Well, I've started! A quaffing Moretti to start but ales to follow..

Salisu!! Trousers will be pleased. 🙂 Let's hope Redmond brings his confidence along..

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic