Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

Forster

KWP Bednarek Vestegaard Bertrand

Armstrong JWP Romeu Djenepo

Ings Adams

Time to draw a line under that and move on. 

If Armstrong and KWP are fit- get them straight in.

I think Minamino is cup-tied, which is very annoying as he would have been handy.

See the last 5 meetings against Wolves below:

23.11.20 PL Wolves Southampton 1 : 1
18.01.20 PL Southampton Wolves 2 : 3
19.10.19 PL Wolves Southampton 1 : 1
13.04.19 PL Southampton Wolves 3 : 1
29.09.18 PL Wolves Southampton 2 : 0

Wolves themselves before their midweek game against Arsenal (and at time of writing now) hadn't won in 8 PL games.

Two off-form teams then to some extent but for me the season is in danger of petering out if we don't go through to the next round, and this is a tough ask away at Molineux.

Time to change the formation as it simply isn't working at the moment.

FF deserves a run of games, I'd change other things too. Give people like Watts and N'Lundulu some game time ahead of the under performing first teamers like Adams and Redmond 

• Haha 1

Before the current very bad run I really thought we might be in with a shout of winning the FA Cup. Sadly, that optimism has melted away as we have disintegrated. Injuries and officials have not been kind to us but we just seem to have lost that spark and verve. Now, we play a very conservative game and prefer to continually pass back and recycle the ball for no apparent reason.  Forget the 9-0 and today's debacle and get back to taking risks instead of the boring, tedious rubbish we have resorted to. I always admired Ralph for the fact that he would rather go for wins than try to eke out draws. Why are we having to watch this joyless football now? Be braver and go for wins.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Whilst it’s lovely to think that we should give others a chance due to some terrible performances, the reality is an off form Adams or even Redmond is better than anything we have at youth level.

This is a free hit, chance to be the last 8 in a winnable cup and we should play our very best team and hope they play their way back to form,

This is also no time to put Salisu in - he needs at least one B game - we should be able to play the team that gave us so much success in the 1st half of the season finally - remember that back 4 with Rom and JWP in front and how solid they looked ?

The one exception is Forster, he’s played well in the other cup games and deserves not only to play this, but after McC shaky performances of late a chance to show he can be no 1.

Win this and confidence returns - we’ll then see better league form.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

If we don't see Salisu in this game then I think it's fair to assume he doesn't actually exist.

I cant see him playing in our most important remaining fixture. Though now we're probably out of the title race I dont see why we wouldnt chance him in the league.

Salisu surely has to play if he is fit, Bednarek needs a rest.

Also thought JWP and Bertrand looked tired today but there isnt anyone to cover for either of them.

Even if Armstrong is fit I would leave him for the league game. But if he has a muscle injury he will probably miss both.

Could we even see the return of the back 3/5 that Ralph went to at HT today?

Edited by Dusic

Would be madness to change formation and go to three at the back based on recent results. The 4222 worked great for us in 2020. It isnt the problem, its players making silly mistakes is the problem. We need to persist with it, but obviously change some personnel.

Would like to finally see Salisu. Wouldnt want to risk rushing KWP back, we are paper thin at RB and need him for the remaining league games. McCarthy, Bednarek, Stephens and Redmond can all do one after today's shambles. Takumi cup tied. What has happened to Obafemi? Ings and Adams have been poor recently, but we've nobody to replace them beyond big Dan.

Forster

Ramsey    Salisu    Vestergaard   Bert

Djenepo     JWP     Romeu      Tella

Ings     Adams

14 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Really want to win this, FA Cup our best (and indeed only) chance of getting Europe next season.

What possible good would a Europa League campaign do our very thin squad?

If we win the FA Cup I'm sure I, like most, couldn't give a  toss about qualifying for Europe, it will be only the second thing we've ever won and we'll all be in beer comas for months. 

Wolves need to get back into form so who better to help them out than Saints? We seem to love putting an end to opposing team's dodgy runs and records. 

• Like 1

No doubt there's a Wolves forum where their fans are saying "Saints are in a terrible run of form, who better to help them out than Wolves?"

Salisu will start and have a stormer which will prove all the experts wrong. Ings will remember how to score and we'll comfortably win the game.

• Like 1

We should be putting out as strong a team as we can and be trying to progress in the competition. The league season is going to peter away to nothing but we are not going down so the cup is what we have left. Wolves not easy but they are having as drab a time as we are.

I'd be fine with some changes from yesterday of course: Forster in goal no problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFC-TID! said:

Would like to see -

Forster

Berty, Salisu, Vesty, KWP

Djenepo, Romeu, JWP, Armstrong

Adams, Ings

Got to give it go, nothing to lose, give Salisu a go, more minutes for Rom and Vesty. 

Just want to see some urgency and positivity!! 

I’d rather our FBs played in their natural positions, swapping them over seems a tad risky. Agree with the rest though. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Haha 1

absolutely have to go for this now, league campaign is over; there will be no top 7 and no relegation. Hopefully KwP is back. Wolves need to get their league season going so would expect a weakened line up from them.

Maybe give Ings a rest and bring off of the bench.

Wolves 0-1 Saints 

2 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

Would like to see Jankewitz involved in this match.  Build his confidence.

I get the sentiment, but we have no idea if he’s a player. None of his contemporaries have shown any sign of making the grade. I think it’s more important to win this game, or try to, than to take any unnecessary risks. Bench by all means.

41 minutes ago, gammon cheeks said:

Like to see us play with a bit more urgency and more direct foorball ....more pressing further up the pitch and less meaningless sideways and back to the centre backs... just my opinion

It is not meaningless. We played that way throughout all the good times in 2020. It is done for a good reason, explained in this video...

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Really want to win this, FA Cup our best (and indeed only) chance of getting Europe next season.

Who cares about Europe if we win the FA Cup......People think that’s the prize these days, not actually winning the cup.......

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Who cares about Europe if we win the FA Cup......People think that’s the prize these days, not actually winning the cup.......

Completely agree. Europe is a bonus but the fa and League cup are the only things we've got a hope of winning and I'd love for us to win something meaningful in my lifetime.

• Like 2

Despite being in the 'clamouring to see Salisu play' club, I'm in two minds as to whether we should blood him in this game...

Now that we've slipped back into our more 'natural' mid-table position in the league, arguably FA Cup games become more  important than PL games and, as such, we should play our strongest possible line-up in this game.

On that basis, and making a few assumptions on who'll be fit, I reckon we should go with:

Forster

KWP - Bednarek - Vestergaard - Bertrand

JWP - Romeu

Armstrong - Djenepo

Ings - Adams

Bench: McCarthy, Stephens, Salisu, Jankewitz, Redmond, Tella, Chauke, Watts, N'Lundulu

5 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think Salisu needs to play in this game. He'll possibly have come up against Willian Jose before in La Liga before. It's a free hit, if we win great, if not, is anyone seriously expecting us to win the cup anyway? In my view ideal opportunity to give him a start.

This approach saddens me. Remember that great Poch season when we threw the Sunderland 5th round game but not a fan alive who doesn’t remember the amount of merit payment we received for finishing 8th or was it 7th that season? Who gives a shit.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

41 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Completely agree. Europe is a bonus but the fa and League cup are the only things we've got a hope of winning and I'd love for us to win something meaningful in my lifetime.

Exactly. I want to win the cup because I want us to win a cup. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I think Salisu needs to play in this game. He'll possibly have come up against Willian Jose before in La Liga before. It's a free hit, if we win great, if not, is anyone seriously expecting us to win the cup anyway? In my view ideal opportunity to give him a start.

Why is the cup game "a free hit" but our remaining 16 league games aren't?

Our league games from here on in are completely inconsequential.

Thursday's match is our only current match with anything riding on it at all.

This game is tight as our relative league positions recent records and demonstrate. For both teams it is more or less season over if they lose. The cup gives us our best chance of any success this year. We can afford to drop a few league points. As Ralph himself said "they can't take our 29 points away from us".

We have to make this game our priority IMHO.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Why is the cup game "a free hit" but our remaining 16 league games aren't?

Our league games from here on in are completely inconsequential.

Thursday's match is our only current match with anything riding on it at all.

We aren't going to win the competition, let's be realistic. We aren't going to make any real money from a cup run and our current squad is too threadbare to maintain a run in a European competition. I would love us to win it, but my priority would be league points as a higher finish would guarantee extra income. 

22 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

We aren't going to win the competition, let's be realistic. We aren't going to make any real money from a cup run and our current squad is too threadbare to maintain a run in a European competition. I would love us to win it, but my priority would be league points as a higher finish would guarantee extra income. 

To just blindly think we can't win the club so let's fuck it all off just so we can finish, like, tenth is such an utterly depressing mindset. "Extra income". Extra fucking income. Someone book the open top bus.

Extra income for what? To have the funds for maybe finishing ninth in the following season (as long as we get knocked out of the cups early enough because we can't win them of course).

Fucking depressing way to look at our club.

A cup winning side would be heroes for a generation in our city. But, hey, extra income. Gee.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Sorry Poch, completely disagree. Of course we are capable of winning it, it's knockout competition FFS. If we get past Wolves and get a favourable draw we could be in the semi finals before you know it. The big boys have bigger fish to fry (PL and CL), and (apart from City) are inconsistent. Remember when relegated Wigan beat City in the final?

Go for it, play the strongest possible team in the Cup and rest players for league matches if necessary. Even if we lose a couple more league matches 9-0 and finish 17th, but win the cup, I'll be over the moon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Sorry Poch, completely disagree. Of course we are capable of winning it, it's knockout competition FFS. If we get past Wolves and get a favourable draw we could be in the semi finals before you know it. The big boys have bigger fish to fry (PL and CL), and (apart from City) are inconsistent. Remember when relegated Wigan beat City in the final?

Go for it, play the strongest possible team in the Cup and rest players for league matches if necessary. Even if we lose a couple more league matches 9-0 and finish 17th, but win the cup, I'll be over the moon.

I was about to post exactly the same as this, even another semi final would be a big lift and a landmark moment for the history books. We'd need luck with the draw , but I remember giving up in 2018 when drawn away in the quarter final to "Wigan or Manchester City " , turned out we played league one Wigan was a cracking trip that. 

Slight chance fans could be back for the final , I'm sure all our season ticket holders could fit into half of Wembley socially distanced. 

• Like 3

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic