Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

52 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

To just blindly think we can't win the club so let's fuck it all off just so we can finish, like, tenth is such an utterly depressing mindset. "Extra income". Extra fucking income. Someone book the open top bus.

Extra income for what? To have the funds for maybe finishing ninth in the following season (as long as we get knocked out of the cups early enough because we can't win them of course).

Fucking depressing way to look at our club.

A cup winning side would be heroes for a generation in our city. But, hey, extra income. Gee.

I would love us to win it, but for a club like us the extra few million or so for say 14th opposed to 9th could be the difference to getting two players or three players this summer. Would rather we make steady improvements in the league, building up a proper squad before tackling another European campaign. Small squads like ours are just not sustainable for European football.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

19 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's all academic as we don't have a snowball's chance of winning anything at the moment.

Yet another post you wouldn't have seen 2 months ago... 

#onlytrollswhenwerelosing

Edited by trousers
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I would love us to win it, but for a club like us the extra few million or so for say 14th opposed to 9th could be the difference to getting two players or three players this summer. Would rather we make steady improvements in the league, building up a proper squad before tackling another European campaign. Small squads like ours are just not sustainable for European football.

As I say, depressing.

Getting excited about Premier League place money and the theoretical concept of buying three players not two players is a more appealing concept than our club actually winning the FA Cup in a few months time?

Honestly it is an absolutely mental way to think.

• Like 3

Personally I'm all for winning a trophy. Any 'jaunts' into Europe on league placing for clubs of our size are fleeting and not long-term.

A trophy is long-term, it's always there. It's in history.

We need to win more silverware, our cupboard is embarrassingly bare really. I think we should have won something during the Koeman or Poch years tbh, we were well placed for something - but what happened? We started putting weak teams out in the cup because we felt we had a chance of 'Top 4' and wanted to concentrate on the league - and yes, we got into Europe under Koeman, but were knocked out in the early rounds which put a mockery on 'resting players' for the league so we could finish 7th.

Silverware over league placings every single time for me.

I wouldn't have swapped those Arsenal results around by the way, if we were going to win one of them I was hoping it was the FA Cup game.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

If we won the cup we'd be in Europe which would be a bigger financial boost than finishing 9th instead of 14th.

Plus we'd have actually won something which is surely the point of playing in the first place. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

If we won the cup we'd be in Europe which would be a bigger financial boost than finishing 9th instead of 14th.

Plus we'd have actually won something which is surely the point of playing in the first place. 

There's a few on this forum that espouse the view that getting knocked out of cups as soon as possible, not getting into Europe yet, not achieving anything yet is some magic secret that then turns us into some mega team in some indefinite point in the future. That we gradually gradually gradually eventually get to a point where we are permitted to win a trophy or get into Europe.

Even though it doesn't work like that for any club our size.

Call me crazy but how about we win something as soon as we possibly can? 

• Like 3

History would suggest they did seeing as we were in the old Second Division in 76. Being only three when we won the Cup, not really sure am best placed to answer that one.

So you can’t even remember us ever winning a major trophy (like me) and you’d rather we throw the towel in so we can concentrate of finishing 10th in the league? Jesus wept. 

I looked it up.

It's £1.9 million per place in the league.

Each team in the Europa group stage gets £2.92 million. Plus you get £570k for any group games won and £190k for a draw. Let's say we win 2, draw 2 that's an extra £1.5 million. 

Qualify from the group and you get about another £1.5 million. 

Add in a load of extra ticket revenue, sponsorship, merch sales etc and it's easily the same as finishing a few places higher. Plus we'd have won something. 

Edited by The Cat

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I looked it up.

It's £1.9 million per place in the league.

Each team in the Europa group stage gets £2.92 million. Plus you get £570k for any group games won and £190k for a draw. Let's say we win 2, draw 2 that's an extra £1.5 million. 

Qualify from the group and you get about another £1.5 million. 

Add in a load of extra ticket revenue, sponsorship, merch sales etc and it's easily the same as finishing a few places higher. Plus we'd have won something. 

Give me the excitement of the fight for 9th over Europe and a cup win any day.

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

What a choice, the excitement of another two legged tie against Midgetland or winning the FA Cup......

Edited by SW5 SAINT

I see little point in Ralph not trying something different in defence for this game and that difference is Salisu. Has to be. Rest of the team needs to be the strongest possible...pointless going into the game with kids....however the question is who is truly fit and who wants to step up to the plate?

I’m not sure we have enough about us to win this game even with our strongest team at the moment and that’s down to being tactically too damn predictable. Huge game form this perspective and for confidence. Ralph gets this right and we win 2-1...get it wrong and it’s more like a 3-1 loss.

9 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Absolutely mental.

11 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You’re not a footfall fan 

Sorry to butt in on the ever-enduring Cup v League debate, but we really have to look at the next two games together.

I don't think all our players are capable of two games in four days at the moment. Plus Minamino is Cup-tied.

I'm guessing Armstrong (if fit), Djenepo and Ings at least won't play two full games. 

Forster will play in the Cup, and unless something remarkable happens, McCarthy will be back in the league. At CB there's an argument for sticking with Vestergaard plus Bednarek for both games to let them rebuild the partnership, but I can't imagine that we won't use at least Stephens and maybe even the lesser-spotted Salisu in one game. That's guesswork since Bednarek looks tired and I'm hoping Vestergaard hasn't had a reaction. 

Bertrand, Romeu and JWP have to play twice. No options. Probably the case too with Adams and Ings for at least a start. I'd like to see Tella get some time.

At RB I'm praying KWP will be back, but think he'll be saved for the league. We can't afford to let JWP play there as no-one fit to cover DM. St Maximan destroyed Stephens and Bednarek and Traore will do the same. Think it'll have to be Stephens anyway and tell JWP to double up on him.

Then I'd play Djenepo and Redmond in the Cup, Minamino and Armstrong in the league.

Just hope we get no injuries/suspensions and no ET.

Sixth Round and 3 points incoming. Sorted.

Edited by Shroppie

I feel a bit sorry for Bednarek, he has played every game of late with different back four partners in most matches. He's getting dogs abuse for the two own goals and a couple of other mistakes but tbf prior to that he was up there as MoM in quite a few games !

He must be knackered and possibly a bit disillusioned right now !

He could do with a break but it's unlikely he'll get one 😦!

• Like 2

Simply has to be our strongest possible team, with perhaps a few rotated who are having a rough time of it atm. The cup is now all we have to play for to salvage this season. 

forster

KWP (I pray, or we have no chance)

Vestergaard 

Salisu 

Bertrand 

JWP

Romeu

Minamino? / Djenepo 

Armstrong? / Redmond 

Adams 

Ings

Their pace out wide worries me if KWP isn’t fit. 

2 teams in poor form, could go either way which I can’t call. 

Edited by SKD
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Imagine qualifying for Europe but not being able to go to any of the away games due to Covid. That would be the typical luck of a Saints fan.

I would take that sort of ‘luck’ all day long.

Although a lot of discussion is being had above- yes we should go for the FA Cup and rightly so it’s a bit sad that in the last 12  FA Cups only 1 team outside the top 6 has won it (Wigan famously in 2012 ofc)

However for as long as we are in the cup I will believe we can win it whilst remaining cautious at the same time- it will be a tough order 

14 hours ago, trousers said:

Yet another post you wouldn't have seen 2 months ago... 

#onlytrollswhenwerelosing

It looks like trolling but actually wasn't.

Right now we don't seem to know how to win. Of course as players return from injury things might improve but bear in mind that we had a pretty strong side out on paper on Saturday and couldn't fashion a point against 9 men. It's not all about individual self confidence either, if players stop believing that Ralph's methods can deliver success that's the hidden danger. Setting aside this last disastrous week isn't it only 1 win from the last 10 PL games? Rather worrying I wold have thought.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CB Fry said:

As I say, depressing.

Getting excited about Premier League place money and the theoretical concept of buying three players not two players is a more appealing concept than our club actually winning the FA Cup in a few months time?

Honestly it is an absolutely mental way to think.

It is mental,  but it sort of sums up where football has traveled over the recent 10-15 years and I think it echos the thinking of the Board. I agree it is depressing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

I would happily take another 9-0 beating in the league if we manage to scrap through to the next round with the winner come from a deflection off Ings left nut. 

I’d take one for a cup win. Not for another QF or whatever round this is next.

• Like 1

Need to get a positive result, even if its just for some confidence...

I'd be tempted to give Salisu a start, if he's fit enough, Bednarek is having a bit of a mare atm, and Stephens is just an awful defender. Though might have to play him at RB if KEP isn't back.  Is Armstrong back?

Forster; KWP/Stephens Vestergaard Salisu Bertrand; JWP Romeu; Armstrong Ings Adams Djenepo

17 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Bonkers, have a word with yourself!

Some of our key players badly need a rest but we’ve already fucked up our league campaign and we probably won’t go down so I would go full strength in this one. Our priority has to be to actually try and win something, whilst it’s unlikely it’s far from impossible. Plenty of teams have proved that before.

On 07/02/2021 at 14:00, Toussaint said:

I get the sentiment, but we have no idea if he’s a player. None of his contemporaries have shown any sign of making the grade. I think it’s more important to win this game, or try to, than to take any unnecessary risks. Bench by all means.

Just checking if you're linking these things, what has his contemporaries got to do with how good he actually is? From the current crop, he is the one most likely to go on to something of prominence.

I think he had a rash rush of blood v Utd, and you may be right about being on the bench for this game, but I hope he is given more chances.

quite simply, this is the biggest game we have left, lose this and it really could be a dire end to the season. The league is done, we are not quite good enough to finish top 7, and there are 3 teams so bad that even one of them will be lucky to get to 29 points. I'm hopeful Ralph knows this; from the team he picked in the last round I think this game will be taken very seriously.

• Like 1

Think if Salisu is fit to start now is as good a time as any, with him alongside Vestergaard it would give us a defensive partnership who perhaps have experienced less of a knock to their confidence from the last 2 league results than our other options. Not holding my breath but I think KWP would make a world of difference, especially with Vesty back to ping him balls.

On 07/02/2021 at 19:09, Lee On Solent Saint said:

While this makes sense in theory, we didn't see any higher spending last summer on the back of an 11th place finish than in the 16th and 17th places from the 2 previous seasons, though Covid might be a factor.

Surely though, what we all would love to see is Saints to win a trophy, even if the subsequent Europa campaign goes tits up?

On 07/02/2021 at 13:15, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't have swapped those Arsenal results around by the way, if we were going to win one of them I was hoping it was the FA Cup game.

Sorry S-Clarke...watched the game with an Arsenal fan friend - both of us would rather have had the league points than the Cup win. Goes without saying I'd love to win the cup again, but seriously, with our squad and form...against a Man Utd or Man City playing to win? It's a fantasy at this point... take the 3 points and preserve our Premier League status priority No.1, 2, and 3. After that abysmal performance against Newcastle and the way the last three games have panned out my optimism is at an all-time low...sorry, but I'm just hoping we don't get any more injuries in a very long-odds attempt at the Cup.

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Sorry S-Clarke...watched the game with an Arsenal fan friend - both of us would rather have had the league points than the Cup win. Goes without saying I'd love to win the cup again, but seriously, with our squad and form...against a Man Utd or Man City playing to win? It's a fantasy at this point... take the 3 points and preserve our Premier League status priority No.1, 2, and 3. After that abysmal performance against Newcastle and the way the last three games have panned out my optimism is at an all-time low...sorry, but I'm just hoping we don't get any more injuries in a very long-odds attempt at the Cup.

Don’t be such a drama queen, we are going through a bad patch but anyone can win the cup on the day. 

Our problem at the moment is that due to injuries and a mental fixture schedule, Ralph’s high tempo style has completely come unstuck. Champions League will be back soon so we will be back to a game a week, get our key players back fit and we will be  a decent side again.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Just checking if you're linking these things, what has his contemporaries got to do with how good he actually is? From the current crop, he is the one most likely to go on to something of prominence.

I think he had a rash rush of blood v Utd, and you may be right about being on the bench for this game, but I hope he is given more chances.

I am linking, he was the last one to make the team out of a very unremarkable crop, that leads me to the conclusion Ralph has doubts about him. Its as much about managing my own expectations.  I haven't seen him play, if you have and you rate him, fair enough.

I want him to do well, I just don't want to take risks in this game. We need to end the losing streak and start rebuilding the lost confidence and we need to give ourselves the best chance. If he plays he plays, I will cheer him on from my recliner.

• Like 2

Not sustainable in English football especially loaning 3 players mid season

Our squad is no smaller than Man City. Obviously we have nowhere near the depth and quality but we could do a fair bit better if we could finally offload the dross accumulated by Reed and Wilson.  If we can offload Forster, Lemina, Hoedt, Moi, Long (what were they thinking) and don’t keep Walcott we’ve suddenly got some wiggle room on the wage bill. Easily enough for a couple of half decent fullbacks and an attacker, possibly Minamino.

Do that and half a dozen Europa League games suddenly looks plausible.

You've taken a bit of a coating in here for this one! I sympathise. I don't agree, but it is the same view I had years ago (almost word-for-word) when Koeman was here. The league is fickle, though. We're not gonna win it, because it's geared for teams with the biggest bank accounts, and any 'success' in the league (and the financial benefits that go with it) are fleeting as far as our memories as fans go. From a business perspective, it's definitely better for the club, but for us as fans, you need excitement. My best two memories in recent years? Long's goal at Anfield, and Gabbi's equalizer at Wembley.

This club needs trophies. Not at all costs like our neighbours, but they need to be prioritised. The cup provides magic which can sometimes even eclipse the lack of investment or quality in a team, because the cup is a sprint; the league is a marathon. Sprints are exciting!

• Like 1

Forster

KWP-Salisu-JV-Bertrand

Redmond-JWP-Romeu-Djenepo

Ings-Adams

Severely lacking in midfield options so guess it'll have to be that (but Minamino/Armstrong wide when back available). Djenepo likes to get stuck in so task him with being first line of defence in dealing with Traore. 

Need a goal from at least one of the front two to end their baron runs. 

Wolves been blunt in attack for a while now but can't see us keeping a clean sheet. 1-1 and we go through on pens AET. 

On 07/02/2021 at 23:50, SW5 SAINT said:

Who cares about Europe if we win the FA Cup......People think that’s the prize these days, not actually winning the cup.......

They're clearly both good things. Winning the cup and then getting into Europe. They're both good. Make sure you don't watch any of the European games should we get there after winning the cup, 'cause who cares ey?

At the moment 1545 its snowing quite heavily here in North Shropshire. Wolves are only 25 miles away down the A41. I will keep an eye on their site and the local Express and star to see if there are any problems with their selections.According to neighbors who are Wolves supporters they are not in the least confident for Thursday any more than we are with our injury and selection problems. Watch this space.

Edited by hasper57saint
Mis spelling

16 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Appreciate your opinion, but I just cannot get into that mindset. Why are people worried about the league and not getting points etc?

We are as safe as houses, not even within a sniff of being in a 'battle', so to me...this seems like the perfect opportunity to put all eggs in the cup basket. Put the strongest 11 out in the FA Cup as opposed to the league. 

Finishing 11th or 10th, or winning the cup....not really a tough call!

Edited by S-Clarke

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic