Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

Good performance I thought, lacking end product in the first half but Wolves never really looked like scoring.

Bertrand and Salisu were excellent, Djenepo was very good first half but dropped off a little, Fraser was solid - it was really weird watching him sweeping outside his box after so many years glued to his line!

Special mention to Jon Moss - no big decisions but after the terrible refereeing of the last few games, he was outstanding by comparison!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Forster was miles better than McCarthy has been for a long time - knew when to put his foot through it and committed himself when he needed to.

Much better team performance. Didn't think Redmond was as bad as everyone else seems to think. Salisu looked good albeit with a few iffy moments. Armstrong was a class above tonight.

• Like 1

Nice to get back to winning ways. Hope we can repeat the feat at the weekend.

you can definitely tell why the club bought salisu. He’s very much a work in progress in terms of his all round play but in the long term will hopefully offer a bit more pace at cb.

nice to get a var decision go for us.

nice to see Tella back from injury with a bright cameo.

not a fan of Redmond as a striker.

Far better second half and a deserved win. Good persistence from Tella to set up Armstrong who made up for missing an open goal with a very assured finish off the far post. Salisu looked very accomplished apart from the odd mistake which is understandable on his debut. Foster did all that was asked and should replace McCarthy on Sunday.

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread
7 hours ago, suewhistle said:

The last few games watched on dodgy streams I've promised myself a drink at the end but then been too bleh and all desire had passed. Tonight I'm thinking of changing my approach and starting the game half cut, a bit like my normal pre-match pub anaesthesia when going to St. Marys. Wonder if it will work...

It worked! Hic.. Plus the added advantage of being a bit more zen throughout the game..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Far better second half and a deserved win. Good persistence from Tella to set up Armstrong who made up for missing an open goal with a very assured finish off the far post. Salisu looked very accomplished apart from the odd mistake which is understandable on his debut. Foster did all that was asked and should replace McCarthy on Sunday.

One straight forward save and one good interception. No reason to drop McCarthy

• Like 1

Nice one. An excellent display that you worried would be undone by our usual failure to turn possession into chances and chances into goals. 

Armstrong I thought was great, Salisu really encouraging despite a couple of iffy moments, Forster looks like a new man (unhesitating well timed charge off the line to clear the ball, WTAF), and Tella showed in his brief cameo tonight why the club rate him and most on here haven't in his appearances so far. MOM for me though has to be Moss - a considered, uncontroversial, non-look-at-me-I-AM-IN-CHARGE, let the game flow performance from a ref who has previously demonstrated himself to be a bit incompetent but who ruled it fantastically tonight and - crucially - was big enough to accept when he'd got something wrong.

• Like 1

“Big win, deserved I think.

A little bit easier when you have alternatives off the bench and gives more chances for picking a strong side.

Kyle is back, and the last game he played was our win, and since then didn’t win. Salisu has the hardest time of all players with long injury but very happy he showed immediately he can help us.

VAR hated us in the past, so i didn't believe it [Ing’s goal] was a goal! 
it is always tight against wolves as you don't get clear chances but longer game was going more chances we had and we had bigger chances so it was a deserved win

Armstrongs goal was a decisive goal and Tella also immediately showed up which is good to see”

Ralph’s words above. 

Just now, nta786 said:

“Big win, deserved I think.

A little bit easier when you have alternatives off the bench and gives more chances for picking a strong side.

Kyle is back, and the last game he played was our win, and since then didn’t win. Salisu has the hardest time of all players with long injury but very happy he showed immediately he can help us.

VAR hated us in the past, so i didn't believe it [Ing’s goal] was a goal! 
it is always tight against wolves as you don't get clear chances but longer game was going more chances we had and we had bigger chances so it was a deserved win

Armstrongs goal was a decisive goal and Tella also immediately showed up which is good to see”

Ralph’s words above. 

Thanks, didn't hear the interview. 

He's right about Tella. What a cracking cameo. Full of energy and did so well for the goal. In fact, he did more when he was on than Djenepo did all game. 

Very happy with that result, hope we can repeat this on Sunday :)

We deservedly got the VAR decision in our favour for Danny's goal. Brilliant persistence from Tella for Armstrongs lovely finish. Salisu was very solid tonight. Armstrong and Bertrand outstanding. I thought Redmond did well, was unlucky with the shot that the Wolves keeper saved well. And Fraser was very assured with everything he needed to do. For me he starts on Sunday. Ralph got his tactics spot on :)

Looking forward to the draw now :)

Drawn away to Bournemouth - great draw for us COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1