Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

5 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

For a debut I thought Salisu did very well particularly when he's been out so long and never even played in this league before

You forgot your 'MLG note'... "Yes, I know it wasn't a league game but it was between two premier League clubs you tart (no offence)"

:)

Oh what a novelty it is to be sitting her basking in a decent Saints win for once. I've been finding lockdown pretty tough recently, and our terrible form really hasn't helped in lifting my mood, but I actually feel more positive and generally alive this evening than I have since before Xmas.

Thank you Saints. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Nope. Give Salisu a run for me and let's see what he can do. The others we know about and they all make plenty of costly mistakes so let's take a proper look at Salisu.

He did ok tonight - no more. Let’s not get all he’s the next best thing since sliced bread. He will get his chance again but not on Sunday.

• Like 2

Just now, Teddeer said:

Nope. Give Salisu a run for me and let's see what he can do. The others we know about and they all make plenty of costly mistakes so let's take a proper look at Salisu.

Tbf, Salisu made two mistakes that could/should have been costly tonight.

He’s 21 years old and is still learning another new culture and new football league. He’s clearly had some problems assimilating, be that injury and/or whatever reasons. He looked good in patches tonight but is clearly in an early stage of his development. Plenty of promise there but I think Ralph knows what he’s doing with him and won’t rush him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Oh what a novelty it is to be sitting her basking in a decent Saints win for once. I've been finding lockdown pretty tough recently, and our terrible form really hasn't helped in lifting my mood, but I actually feel more positive and generally alive this evening than I have since before Xmas.

Thank you Saints. 

< MLG MODE >

We've nearly won as many games as we've lost in 2021 (4 won, 5 lost)...

Edited by trousers

On Salisu, he certainly dispelled any fears I had, from his prolonged absence, of him being a dud. He had a mostly reassuring and confident debut; there were a couple of shaky moments toward the end when Wolves' subs had come on, but his firmer moments during the rest of the game were, I think, far more pronounced. Among the flashes of impressive ability I saw were: good pace, control, passing, tackling, aerial ability, strength, energy, stamina (after a year out!) and generally good awareness. His biggest problem, until that butt clenching moment when he badly missed the ball in the 6yd box, was trying to do a bit too much now and then. I think we've got ourselves a bargain there. 

Edited by VictiAbNonem

A fine riposte from Saints to the last two games. If we are prioritising the Cup over the league, then it showed. But it also showed we have a very good first XI and a couple of decent options from the bench too when all are fit. We still have Theo and Diallo (who looks extremely promising) plus the on loan Minamino to add back in and things start to look a bit more rosy. Salisu showed some real promise and it was only to be expected that there were moments of rustiness and adjustment to the pace of the English game. I never thought I'd see Fraser Forster attempting to play as a sweeper keeper but clearly some good work has been done on dragging him away from his line. Same again on Sunday chaps (and that includes retaining Fraser in goal!).

• Like 3

Great result. Just hope that puts us back on track in the league, although knowing Saints we'll probably do what we did against Arsenal after we knocked them out if the cup. Hope I'm wrong.

Thought that Fraser played well. He'd be in my starting 11 on Sunday. Not sure what Salisu thought he was doing. That very nearly cost us our lead. Redmond doesn't look like he could hit a barn door at the moment. 

41 minutes ago, trousers said:

You forgot your 'MLG note'... "Yes, I know it wasn't a league game but it was between two premier League clubs you tart (no offence)"

:)

Ooo. I've been MLG'd by Trousers.! But like Sheaf Saint I'm feeling more positive, not to say a little bit tipsy, so I can magnanimously* wave a hand and say 'whateves'. 

* did I really spell that correctly without checking? I deserve another beer, time for a Proper Job, I feel..

• Haha 2

good display. I'm old enough for the FA Cup to still be important. Gutted not to have been at the grounds for these cup wins - they can live long in the memory when you go on a run. It's our year and that draw confirms it.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

good display. I'm old enough for the FA Cup to still be important. Gutted not to have been at the grounds for these cup wins - they can live long in the memory when you go on a run. It's our year and that draw confirms it.

This.

I haven't watched the last couple of league games, but made sure to watch the cup match. Solid performance and Saints have a decent chance. 

21 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Personal question Chez... are you old enough..?  I've reached the age where I'm surprised that in 1976 many people posting here weren't born!

I was a few months old, but it's now scary that I'm hiring people who were only a couple of years old when Matt Le Tissier was playing and they certainly have no idea of how good he was in the Alan Ball season.  Time is a bitch. 

40 minutes ago, Chez said:

I agree entirely.  It is why 1984 and Adrian Heath is so difficult for me.

You know the phrase ... "if your name is on the cup".

A very enjoyable game for once, starting with a large gin and tonis ant kick off to steady the nerves, a delicios spag bol and a glass of Italian red at half time, and another large glass of red during the second half to savour the win with, followed by a near perfect draw for the nexr round.

If that's 5.30 kick offs let's have more.

Seriously on a footballing note, we played well enough, I don't publicly criticise players only praise good performances, (There are plenty on this board who seem to be incapable of anything but destructive criticism.) 

It was a pleasure to watch a well refereed match, you hardly knew he was there and his decisions were good and fair.

However I just cannot understand why when Wolves bring on dangerous attackers, and we are in a one nil lead with ten minutes or so left Ralph doesn't add a defender. For me Stephens for Redmond was a substitution crying out to be made, particularly with Traore on the field..

• Like 2

Good solid win, Salisu decent enough job done - one fucking horrible error luckily didnt cost us but will attribute that to lack of game time. Hopefully he gets a good run in the team and show us why we spent big (for us) on him.

Bournemouth away next round, won't be easy but semi-final on offer!

Ings got lucky with his job but hopefully will kick him on after a bit of a barren spell, sometimes strikers just need a lucky goal.

10 minutes ago, Shance said:

I've never seen him do a single thing against us. In fact, every time I see him play he looks average. 

Traore rinsed us the other season (might've only been last season - it seems so bloody long ago) when Wolves came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at our place.

His form this season has been way off, though. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cambsaint said:

However I just cannot understand why when Wolves bring on dangerous attackers, and we are in a one nil lead with ten minutes or so left Ralph doesn't add a defender. For me Stephens for Redmond was a substitution crying out to be made, particularly with Traore on the field..

I'd suggest it's because adding a CB would invite them on to us. Ralphs philosophy is to defend further up the pitch as far as possible and stop attacks before they can develop.

I thought we dealt well with Traore. The moment he got the ball there were two defenders on him shepherding him to the touchline and niggling at him. He never got up a head of steam.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

I'd suggest it's because adding a CB would invite them on to us. Ralphs philosophy is to defend further up the pitch as far as possible and stop attacks before they can develop.

I thought we dealt well with Traore. The moment he got the ball there were two defenders on him shepherding him to the touchline and niggling at him. He never got up a head of steam.

Absolutely right. Traore is a bit like Antonio. Let them build momentum and they will destroy you. Block them before they get a run going and they are far less impressive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cambsaint said:

A very enjoyable game for once, starting with a large gin and tonis ant kick off to steady the nerves, a delicios spag bol and a glass of Italian red at half time, and another large glass of red during the second half to savour the win with, followed by a near perfect draw for the nexr round.

Seriously on a footballing note, we played well enough, I don't publicly criticise players only praise good performances, (There are plenty on this board who seem to be incapable of anything but destructive criticism.) 

It was a pleasure to watch a well refereed match, you hardly knew he was there and his decisions were good and fair.

I agree about what you say about subs

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Thank you Saints. 

It is a good feeling, isn't it?  This virus has turned our world upside down and it is very hard not knowing when we can get our lives back. We will get through this. In the meantime, you take care of yourself.

Armstrong MOM for me. Salisu was fine and will improve as he adapts to pace of top teams. Armstrong, Redmond and Bertram all missed good chances and we do need to improve our finishing still. Agree with others that Jon Moss had a very good game again and he must be the most improved PL Referee this year.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I agree about what you say about subs

And let’s supposing Wolves did get an equaliser then it means we are playing extra time in a defensive set up.

I always prefer to keep attacking as it stops the opposition pushing further to attack us and if they do we hit them on the break for a second.

11 hours ago, Teddeer said:

To play Salisu, who before Wolves game had not played all season, on Sunday with such a short gap between games would be utter folly. Especially with his injury record.

I thought Redders had a reasonable game. Plenty of hard work as well. Team played confident short passing out of tight defensive positions.

3 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

And let’s supposing Wolves did get an equaliser then it means we are playing extra time in a defensive set up.

I always prefer to keep attacking as it stops the opposition pushing further to attack us and if they do we hit them on the break for a second.

You are probably right on refection

I thought Stuart Armstrong was MOM by a mile - cant understand why it was given to Ings!  Salisu was OK - but shouldnt play on Sunday. Dont think we would have beaten a full strength Wolves side but that isnt our problem. The defence looked better i think because of having KWP back - RB and LB cover should be No1 priority in the summer! I dont think Redmond should have played as a striker - surprised he wasnt subbed.  I dont think its the right sort of game for Djnepo either but he was OK - with Redmond not being productive in the final 1/3 as well its easy to see why we arent scoring goals. Our best forward line is Adams and Ings.  We got through and have a good chance for a semi final at Wembley. Overall - 7/10!

• Like 2

Aside from missing an absolute sitter that was a sublime performance from Armstrong. Always available and intelligently playing between the lines he was a constant threat to Wolves. He is brave enough to back himself to take players on and very often gets past them. Now and then he gets caught out trying to be positive but I would prefer this to some of the others who nearly always resort to taking the easy option. His goal was superbly taken with a sweet strike that went in off the far post. We certainly miss his energy and drive when he doesn't play.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 2

At the end of the game I thought we had moved through it with a minimum of effort, after an opening flurry of activity the game seemingly dropped to a pace that suited us, to conserve energy and bide our time. 
I have a customer up in Wolverhampton and all the lads in there are season ticket holders at Molineux, so just for a bit of fun we have a WhatsApp group for our games (they use it for their own games too - which is quite amusing) they weren’t to happy with their teams performance and a bit of falling out of love with Nuno seems to be building up there. 

Thought Salisu did pretty well for a first outing, especially given how long he has been out from competitive football, on first viewing seems to have all the tools in his box to be a fine addition to the squad.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cambsaint said:

Stephens? Please don’t even think about it. Why would you want to disturb a settled defence? Besides, it was the running from the front players that helped to keep Wolves further upfield. Once you start dropping back in you4 own box you’re inviting trouble.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul.Studio said:

I thought Stuart Armstrong was MOM by a mile - cant understand why it was given to Ings!  Salisu was OK - but shouldnt play on Sunday. Dont think we would have beaten a full strength Wolves side but that isnt our problem. The defence looked better i think because of having KWP back - RB and LB cover should be No1 priority in the summer! I dont think Redmond should have played as a striker - surprised he wasnt subbed.  I dont think its the right sort of game for Djnepo either but he was OK - with Redmond not being productive in the final 1/3 as well its easy to see why we arent scoring goals. Our best forward line is Adams and Ings.  We got through and have a good chance for a semi final at Wembley. Overall - 7/10!

Me too re Armstrong (except for his open goal miss). Forster was also good, but having KWP back makes a massive difference to the shape of the side and its ability to press. Will be good to have Minamino available again to drop Redmond but fear that Djenepo will be the fall guy 

Armstrong was fantastic, regardless of the miss, and would have been MOM for anyone who could think beyond McManaman's 'Ings score goal, Ings best player' banality. McManaman's other brilliant insight that made me smile was some comment about how we should bring Vestergaard's pace on to counter Traore. Yeah. That'll do it Steve. 

Salisu has got some rough edges to round off but looked to me to be quick, strong, and to read the game really well. He made a lot of important interceptions simply by anticipating the play and getting himself in the right position to deal with it before it happened, something some of our other CBs seem to struggle with. 

Moss was excellent. Traore should just about be climbing out of Bertrand's pocket. Still intrigued to see what happens with Forster when he actually has some proper shots to save (the low ones away from him and anything requiring a real stretch or quick readjustment of his feet/ body being his real achilles heel when we last properly saw him). 

Need to make sure we don't get cocky against Bournemouth. If we keep our heads on and treat them with the same respect as we would anyone else, we'll beat them and then it's getting interesting. 

Sod the league. We'll finish 10-15th and that's fine. Let's go balls out to win the FA Cup. Man Utd in the final please. 1976 revisited. Revenge for Gabby and the League Cup. Revenge for the Mike Dean show clusterfuck the other night. Magic. 

14 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Thank you Saints. 

Me too. Hadn't realised how low Saints results get me until this morning when I woke and remembered last night's. Long may it continue

2 hours ago, Teddeer said:

Aside from missing an absolute sitter that was a sublime performance from Armstrong. Always available and intelligently playing between the lines he was a constant threat to Wolves. He is brave enough to back himself to take players on and very often gets past them. Now and then he gets caught out trying to be positive but I would prefer this to some of the others who nearly always resort to taking the easy option. His goal was superbly taken with a sweet strike that went in off the far post. We certainly miss his energy and drive when he doesn't play.

I completely agree about Armstrong, one of our unsung heroes who usually makes a classy thoughtful contribution to our games and deserves more praise than he gets.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Stephens? Please don’t even think about it. Why would you want to disturb a settled defence? Besides, it was the running from the front players that helped to keep Wolves further upfield. Once you start dropping back in you4 own box you’re inviting trouble.

I agreer about unsettling a winning side, but look how many games we've lost from winning positions. Particularly Man U where an extra defender may have at least saved a point. The high press must be physically and mentally exhausting and possibly the reason for mistakes in the last quarter,, but its only my opinion.

If you're legs get short of oxygen they ache, but if your braingets short which it does much quicker than muscles you make mistakes.

Edited by cambsaint
addition required