Wolves 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

nta786

Shows the difference KWP and Armstrong make to our game, Chalk and cheese tonight with them back. Need an upgrade on Redmond, really has lapsed back into the hopeless category. Salisu did OK, but got caught out twice, can't see him replacing Vest though and can't see them playing together, still good to know we have a decent backup if injuries come back again. Good win. 

Just now, saint lard said:

Am I right in saying that Redknapp has been working back at Bournemouth recently Alongside Woodgate?

That's what they just mentioned on BT Sport, no idea if true or not. 

He lives near so it makes sense for his fingers to be all over that pie.

Excellent performance, look at the match stats which back that statement up.  Thought everyone worked their socks off including Redmond, Moussa and Teller who don’t get much praise on here.

Armstrong outstanding, thought Salisu looked quick and good recovery defender but was lucky not to be punished for couple of errors.  He will improve though, as Vest has.

Final word for Bednarek after a horrible couple of weeks, back to his solid best tonight.

Edited by Forester
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Big decision for Ralph on Sunday then. Keep FF in goal?

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Surely that's a given?  FF has looked rather solid in the games he's been in.

Pretty sure Ralph was asked at the pre-match press conference if Forster could stake a claim for a PL start and Ralph categorically said no, he's going to keep faith in McCarthy regardless (or words to that effect)

• Like 1

Solid performance. Very important to have KWP which also brings more out of Bertrand. Tella looked lively and that's probably the first signs I've seen from him that he may end up good enough. jWP and romeu did well to handle wolves strongest part of their team. 

I did feel we got the rub of the green but fuck me have we earned it. Some refs could easily have given the salisu penalty (and var wouldn't overturn it). Also JWP did 3 fouls in about 10 minutes and avoided a booking. Nothing really game changing our way, but we won our fair share of the close calls. 

I do find it amusing though. When villa beat us they acknowledged they got the slice of fortune, but felt like they deserved it particularly after the decision against City. We get our fortune against wolves. It always seems like the 'levelling out' happens against similar sized clubs. But sure as hell none of us are getting them at old Trafford etc

But we fully deserved the win. If I were a wolves fan I would be livid at their lineup today and they deserved to go out just for that. 

Edited by sydney_saint

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Pretty sure Ralph was asked at the pre-match press conference if Forster could stake a claim for a PL start and Ralph categorically said no, he's going to keep faith in McCarthy regardless (or words to that effect)

That's a pretty bold statement by Ralph. What must FF think? Can't be too motivating for him.

50 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Shows the difference KWP and Armstrong make to our game, Chalk and cheese tonight with them back. Need an upgrade on Redmond, really has lapsed back into the hopeless category. Salisu did OK, but got caught out twice, can't see him replacing Vest though and can't see them playing together, still good to know we have a decent backup if injuries come back again. Good win. 

I agree with all of this except the last point. I think Salisu and Vest would be perfect together.  Vest to bring the ball out and link defence and midfield ( ala ferdinand) and Salisu to be a quick, strong last man ( ala Sol Campbell) but we wait and see.

Armstrong my MoM tonight but my favourite moment  - and Im sure many other peoples - was seeing Fraser flying off his line once or twice to smash it clear.

Agree, Salisu and Vest would make a great central pairing in defence. Salisu is going to be a brilliant player for us. He is a little rusty as you would expect but he showed signs that he is going to be the real deal. Strong in the air, knows his position, spots danger and covers the ground extremely rapidly to snuff it out and he can pass the ball too. Also has the physical presence to cause problems at set pieces. Imagine trying to mark him and Vest from a JWP delivery! Very excited by that debut.

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Agree, Salisu and Vest would make a great central pairing in defence. Salisu is going to be a brilliant player for us. He is a little rusty as you would expect but he showed signs that he is going to be the real deal. Strong in the air, knows his position, spots danger and covers the ground extremely rapidly to snuff it out and he can pass the ball too. Also has the physical presence to cause problems at set pieces. Imagine trying to mark him and Vest from a JWP delivery! Very excited by that debut.

This

20 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

I agree with all of this except the last point. I think Salisu and Vest would be perfect together. 

They are both left-sided CBs. Seriously doubt they would work together. I know some (on here) that scoff at this concept, but time and again it is proven to be the case. Two left-sided CBs do not work. Salisu was brought in to play on the left side, and at the time Vest was playing like a donkey, so seemed a good call, to balance up our defence. But with the new improved Vest Mk2 I don't see Sally Sue getting a look in. My opinion, we will see. I also don't think he did enough tonight to warrant dropping Bednarek or (controversially) Stephens. He did well, but it was no worldy performance.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

They are both left-sided CBs. Seriously doubt they would work together. I know some (on here) that scoff at this concept, but time and again it is proven to be the case. Two left-sided CBs do not work. Salisu was brought in to play on the left side, and at the time Vest was playing like a donkey, so seemed a good call, to balance up our defence. But with the new improved Vest Mk2 I don't see Sally Sue getting a look in. My opinion, we will see. I also don't think he did enough tonight to warrant dropping Bednarek or (controversially) Stephens. He did well, but it was no worldy performance.

Isnt Vest right footed ? Pretty sure he could slot onto the right.

3 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Isnt Vest right footed ? Pretty sure he could slot onto the right.

Also, you know what I like about Djenepo ? It actually looks like he gives he a shit. Like he really wants to do well. Okay, when he runs with the ball no ones got any idea ( including himself) whats gonna happen, but I love that he wants to get involved and look to drive forward. Okay, thats all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Yep, was promising after what went before but I think we'd all agree a full fit vest deserves his place back alongside bednarek. Atm anyway 👍

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Is it only two left footers that don’t work? What about two righties? Same problem, never works?

This board keeps on posting little series of duplicate posts - most odd.

For a debut I thought Salisu did very well particularly when he's been out so long and never even played in this league before. A few dodgy moments, which is hardly surprising but isn't it great to have a CB with some pace?!  Have to disagree with you there Vectis.

Nobody had a bad game, Armstrong  was my MoM, but it was also good to see Tella's coolness for his assist.  To save me going off on an internet search, when is the next round?