Everton vs Saints - Match Thread

Chapel End

40 minutes ago, Mr X said:

If our team is that bad and our players so awful how did we have our best ever start to a season playing some good stuff & being first in the league? (admittedly for like a day) this has to go down as the most colossal collapse in form by a team ever 

Well for starters we were clearly over achieving, but also at full strength our starting eleven is pretty decent. We have collapsed because we have a small squad that cannot cope with the number of injuries we've suffered, combined with a lot of players either losing form or simply burning out and needing a rest, which we can't give them.

4 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

There's no point of rushing him back imo and risking another injury.

Agreed. Bring him back slowly, so he's fully fit for Bournemouth. Likewise any other players nursing niggles or just coming back from injuries. A mix of youth and experience until Bournemouth where we play our strongest team, and also for the semi final and final if we get that far.

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

You are joking, 2 CM positions and we have 3 (first choice) players. Even Diallo is only 21, not exactly experienced and younger than some of the kids that we don't trust. Yes we have some kids but that's not the same as having squad depth. Full backs and CM are the two areas we are short. We should have two for every position.

Indeed. Even Ralph has changed his view on this. Having always advocated a small squad it was notable (press conference) that he commented on the need for a much bigger squad next season, having been caught out this season by the intensity of the fixture list, injuries to key players and the need to rest them. 

Mind you saying you need a much bigger squad is one thing but where will we find the players or money to build it?

Edited by Charlie Wayman

2 hours ago, egg said:

He handed in a transfer request because he wants to play, if not here, then somewhere else. That's very different to not wanting to be here. 

Sort of hints that he has an attitude problem though, as does trying to murder a Man Utd player after just 2mins of his Prem debut.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Sort of hints that he has an attitude problem though, as does trying to murder a Man Utd player after just 2mins of his Prem debut.

Wanting to play and not wanting to sit on his arse hints at a great attitude. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Indeed, so I'm unsure why you think that his asking for a move because he wants to play suggests a bad attitude. 

If you want to play you work hard and if you are good enough you will play. If you want to go to another club and play you hand in a transfer request.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If you want to play you work hard and if you are good enough you will play. If you want to go to another club and play you hand in a transfer request.

So you've now accused the kid of having a bad attitude, not working hard, and attempted murder. Anything else? 

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Maybe he thinks he needs to drop down a level to get game time? Maybe he he is frustrated at the lack of opportunities he’s had so far? Maybe he loves it here but he thinks he’s a long way down the pecking order here and needs to move?

I would say these are more likely reasons than just being a cock with a bad attitude 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Maybe he thinks he needs to drop down a level to get game time? Maybe he he is frustrated at the lack of opportunities he’s had so far? Maybe he loves it here but he thinks he’s a long way down the pecking order here and needs to move?

I would say these are more likely reasons than just being a cock with a bad attitude 

Indeed. Nothing like bypassing the obvious and running the lad down. 

• Like 2

Just now, egg said:

So you've now accused the kid of having a bad attitude, not working hard, and attempted murder. Anything else? 

I said it, along with his actions vs Man U, hinted at him having a bad attitude, I don’t know the lad so obviously don’t know what he is like, neither do you.

If Ralph thinks he’s the best option that’s fine, if he starts Stephens instead that might suggest he thinks the lad is not ready.

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I said it, along with his actions vs Man U, hinted at him having a bad attitude, I don’t know the lad so obviously don’t know what he is like, neither do you.

If Ralph thinks he’s the best option that’s fine, if he starts Stephens instead that might suggest he thinks the lad is not ready.

Possibly not ready, sure, but where you get a potential attitude problem from I have no idea. 

17 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Apart from the most bizarre Premier League debut I have ever seen.

Young kid desperate to play gets his chance finally and desperate to prove himself makes a rash error of judgment. It’s not the first time a young player has done it and won’t be the last. But still let’s put it down to him having a bad attitude. 

• Like 4

It's impossible to comment on any attitude problem. He's just someone who wants to play football and start to build a career, that's all I see.

He was rash and stupid on his 'debut', but I find that hard to even attribute to being a debut or any sort of 'performance' because he lasted 1 min.

I'm assuming aintforever also came to the conclusion that his red card offence was performed on purpose to get back at the club.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Hell, I agree with Attaturk. If that young guy's got any ambition to get anywhere, here's his chance to redeem his f***-up and show everybody he deserves another chance.  Up to him to chase everything, be in the right position and listen to the senior guys directing traffic on the pitch. Playing a miracle ball to release Ings on halfway, who then ghosts past three defenders and belts it into the top left corner of the net in the 92nd minute for a Saints win would be a small bonus. Smiling emoji would now be here if I was into banality. 

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Hell, I agree with Attaturk. If that young guy's got any ambition to get anywhere, here's his chance to redeem his f***-up and show everybody he deserves another chance.  Up to him to chase everything, be in the right position and listen to the senior guys directing traffic on the pitch. Playing a miracle ball to release Ings on halfway, who then ghosts past three defenders and belts it into the top left corner of the net in the 92nd minute for a Saints win would be a small bonus. Smiling emoji would now be here if I was into banality. 

I’d rather we save the injury time winners against Everton for the fa cup semi final, but I like your optimism.

• Like 2

No such thing as a free hit. But my expectations are very low for tomorrow evening. 

No new injuries would be great. A goal would be most welcome. A draw would be fantastic.

But if it all goes south, there will be no bed-wetting from me.

Sheff Utd - Brighton being the next two fixtures.

No excuses. Do our job, and we have a slow stroll to the finish line, and a glimpse of cup glory. 

The season isn't over yet. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I’d rather we save the injury time winners against Everton for the fa cup semi final, but I like your optimism.

I like the cut of your jib. And then an 83rd minute goal in a 1-0 win in the final against United. (Or a 3-2 win with a perfectly good United goal ruled offside. I'm not fussy).

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vancouver Saint said:

Any masochists actually going to watch this?

I'll watch the first half, with Saints as the attacking force with beautiful passing, superb closing down and 2 clear shouts for a Saints penalty not given by a grinning referee with an erection. Then, with the score delicately poised at 0-0 I'll save myself the hurt and switch off just before the second half begins as Rodriguez and Richarlison tear us a new one, as Saints seem to somehow forget how to play basic football and Everton walk away with a 3-0 win. 🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, austsaint said:

I'll bet you end up watching.    As will I.

You might be right Austsaint - but I share Raging Bull's sentiments and may just spare myself the pain - think SNSUN may have the solution, watch the first half end 0-0 or worse, then turn off and get the result later.

I don't think I've ever been as pessimistic or cynical about our chances of winning a game of football - I didn't used to be like this. Covid or a run of 1 point out of 24 and a VAR dice that only rolls one way?

Trying to leave on a positive vibe...maybe this is the game we play even more crap than usual and everything goes our way...win with a wrong-call VAR penalty in the 93rd minute...

OMMMM

Edited by Vancouver Saint

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Our current CM situation is no different to when we first came up and JWP was one of our options

Schneiderlin, Davis, Cork and Hammond. JWP quickly rendered Hammond superfluous, but we sure did have 4 senior CMs when we came up. Our current situation is different to when we came up and is stupid, with only 3 (senior) CMs for 2 positions, especially given the system we play where the 2 CMs are integral and hard working. We lost 2 last summer (Hojbjerg and Reed) and only brought in Diallo).

Edited by VectisSaint
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Schneiderlin, Davis, Cork and Hammond. JWP quickly rendered Hammond superfluous, but we sure did have 4 senior CMs when we came up. Our current situation is different to when we came up and is stupid, with only 3 (senior) CMs for 2 positions, especially given the system we play where the 2 CMs are integral and hard working. We lost 2 last summer (Hojbjerg and Reed) and only brought in Diallo).

That and the full back situation is why we have collapsed so spectacularly, god help us is JWP picks up an injury, which wouldn't be surprising because he must have played every minute of every game and looks in desperate need of a rest.

Money is obviously tight so I guess it's a balance between quality and quantity, buying decent cover means you have less to spend on the first XI and `R~a;lph has taken a bit of punt.

If we can't win let's at least turn up second half....even that would be progress, you never know keep it nil nil first half sneaky goal in the second half (don't care how or if we deserve it) and shut up shop, we need to win ugly without the tippy tappy in defence 

Edited by Mr X

Hammond never even made the match day squad in the Premier League, he was loaned out to Brighton in the summer transfer window after JWP had started one League game, against Man City. Morgan, Cork, Davis and 17 year old JWP (who’d never played a league game before) were our options that year.

We quite clearly didn’t lose two in summer either, Reed was never here, he spent the whole of last season at Fulham. We sold Hojbjerg and bought Diallo, it was a straight forward one in - one out.

7 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We quite clearly didn’t lose two in summer either, Reed was never here, he spent the whole of last season at Fulham. We sold Hojbjerg and bought Diallo, it was a straight forward one in - one out.

We did lose Reed last summer, we sold him, currently shining in the Fulham midfield.....

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit

If we could have afforded to keep Reed then maybe we would have, and still been able to buy KWP and Diallo, but I get he also was pushing to go and play, he's not a kid anymore, and to stick about as 4th choice would not be a good career move for him lets be honest.

It's just unfortunate that Smallbone is out for the season, and Romeu for 3 months, Diallo has missed a huge amount of games too.  The club also had eyes on Jankewitz as 5th choice CM, so you can't blame the club for letting Reed go.  He's just having a good season at Fulham, so question marks are inevitable.

But it was irrelevant really, as we needed the money cos we're skint.

I assume that Smallbone would have been viewed as the 4th centre-midfielder. He has certainly played there before (e.g. starting v West Ham away last year, when he was preferred to Romeu). The fact that his appearances have been fairly anonymous in centre mid doesn't mean that he wouldn't have been considered as an emergency for that position. So there is a fair argument for saying we went into the season with 4 potential CMs. It's just very unlucky that two of them suffered season stopping injuries. 

The best game that I have seen Smallbone play was in the first half away at Leicester before he got injured. Rather than CM he played in one of the attacking mid positions, wide on the left, if I recall. I feel that is where is future career may lie, rather than in a defensive role. 

25 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

The best game that I have seen Smallbone play was in the first half away at Leicester before he got injured. Rather than CM he played in one of the attacking mid positions, wide on the left, if I recall. I feel that is where is future career may lie, rather than in a defensive role. 

Yes, I remember thinking that. As for his central midfield performances being anonymous, you're probably right, but he certainly didn't look haplessly out of place which we've seen with other players shoved in there before. Physically a bit light but he moves well and decent technique.

As for watching tonight, I suppose I will succumb to my masochistic tendencies. Fortunately I missed most of the second half of the Leeds game as I had an online lesson to give. In the meantime I shall enjoy this glorious weather.

Tella up front with Ings. Move the ball forward much quicker than of late and hit passes to feet firmly rather than half paced.  Don't commit too many forward at corners or free kicks because we invariably get caught short when our opponents clear and break quickly eg Leeds when Romeu had to make that brilliant last ditch tackle - it happens far too often. Play out from the back but don't take stupid risks and be prepared to put a foot through the ball when required. Mark players particularly when they wander into our box. Tell McCarthy to open his mouth and help out his defenders. When chances come our way be clinical because I doubt we'll get many.  With a large slice of luck we might get something from this tough fixture at a time when every point is vital. Under no circumstances roll over and capitulate without giving absolutely every last drop of sweat - leave nothing on the field.

Edited by Teddeer

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

What would you say was his best performance for us last year?

He was still our player last season. Many players including Diallo, didn’t feature in Saints first team squad last season. No real relevance to the strength, or lack of, of the squad this season

Edited by SW5 SAINT

6 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Anyone guessing the correct team selection/formation today gets a prize.

With no confidence whatsoever, I'm guessing:

Mccarthy

Ramsey Bednarek Salisu Vestergaard Bertrand

Jankewitz JWP 

Redmond Armstrong

Ings

1 minute ago, Shroppie said:

Mccarthy

Jankewitz JWP 

Redmond Armstrong

Ings

Not a bad shout. That line-up might have a chance depending how well the two youngsters acquit themselves.

------------------Macca--------------------

Bednarek - Vestergaard - Salisu - Bertrand

-------------Jankewitz - JWP--------------
Armstrong---------------------------Djenepo

-------------Ings----Adams---------------

Then you have Forster, Stephens, Ramsay, Redmond, Tella on the bench....

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

Mccarthy

Jankewitz JWP 

Redmond Armstrong

Ings

Blimey that sets our stall out somewhat. I doubt he'd put Jankowitz in a 2 man midfield, far too exposed for a second game. Although the first at 2 minutes hardly counts.

Ramsey is all over the club media so he is clearly starting as you surmised.

I think it will be

McCarthy

Ramsey Salisu Vestergaard Bertrand

Moussa JWP Janko Armstrong

Ings Redmond

Edited by macca155

7 minutes ago, Big Ron fan said:

My guess:

Forster

Ramsey Bednarek  Vestergaard Bertrand

Jankewitz JWP 

Djenneppo Armstrong

Ings Adams

Forster won't play, they want rid of his wages so guaranteed he won't be given any encouragement

14 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

------------------Macca--------------------

Bednarek - Vestergaard - Salisu - Bertrand

-------------Jankewitz - JWP--------------
Armstrong---------------------------Djenepo

-------------Ings----Adams---------------

Then you have Forster, Stephens, Ramsay, Redmond, Tella on the bench....

That's a decent call too. But with Djenepo on the right to support Bednarek

• Lighthouse changed the title to Everton vs Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic