Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

TWar

Dunno why everyone is so worried about his height.

Our approach is to be pressing from the front to try and win the ball back and/or negate these long balls over the FB.

Were are not letting their CM ping balls all over the shop.

Everytime I've seen KWP had a ball pinged over his head 1 of 2 things have happened.  Either he is close enough to recover and pressure the player or he is too far up field and everyone has shifted to the right and the right CB goes out to cover.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Never heard of him but then again I'd never heard of Hoedt, Lemina, Elyonoussi and Djenepo who all turned out to be super stars.

Super stars of the championship or Scottish League maybe! I really find Djenepo frustrating as he has all the attributes of a top player just can't get any kind of consistency ala Redmond! 

Looks a promising player, from what I've read online, in a position where we need it most

Lets hope this one gets over the line.

“Indeed, Romain Perraud rapidly became a fan-favourite at the Stade Charlety, thanks to some Roberto Carlos-esque rockets from outside the box,” wrote Adrien Dryll in a 2019 profile of the player for GFFN.

“He’s starting to become one of the leading left-backs, seen by many people, as the best left-back or one of them in France’s top division,” The Athletic’s Phil Hay said, speaking on his podcast.

“It’s very clear from the performance data that he’s a very attacking left-back, who is good at creating chances, taking shots himself, a threat going forward, but also really good at employing the press, good as part of a team that likes to press aggressively. On those basic pointers, you can see why Leeds are interested.”

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/all-you-need-to-know-about-romain-perraud-leeds-uniteds-next-left-back/

Would be a very good bit of business at around £8m, widely regarded as one of the best LBs in the French league last season. Not sure how I feel about having a full back on each side that can actually cross though?!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Roberto Carlos: 5' 6"

Phillipp Lahm: 5' 7"

Bixente Lizarazu: 5' 7"

Dennis Irwin: 5' 7"

I shouldn't worry about it too much. Quality players find a way.

We struggled with Cedric because he was shit. His height had nothing to do with it.

Two of them never played in the same team...one short FB, no drama, both could be a problem. I didn't realise Irwin was so short though, but he was cracking player. The others weren't shabby either. 

And granted, Cedric was shite. 

3 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Dunno why everyone is so worried about his height.

All the oldies on here think football is best played in a “4-4 fuc*ing 2”

Therefore, the 4 at the back need to be 6ft+

sorry for my “agist” comment

Edited by nta786
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Perraud, 23, played for France up to under-20s level and his performance data — taken from smarterscout,  which gives detailed analytics on players all over the world and gives ratings between zero and 99 across a series of metrics 

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 18.12.17.png

Black-box has it’s defensive filters turned off, I think :) 

Thing we should calm down a bit on this one.

The one who broke the story as being very close is a journalist from le 10 Sport which is as crappiest a source as you can get in France.

Not saying it isn t happening but I wouldn t get our hopes up just yet.

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Black-box has it’s defensive filters turned off, I think :) 

Defending is difficult to quantify stats wise I think, especially for a full back and in the case of Perraud all the reports I had read suggest that Brest used him very high up on the left as their main attacking threat on that side.

It appears he is very effective at pressing, which is clearly a need in a Ralph team.

Seems he is more of an attacking full back which is good, and hopefully they feel his defensive deficits are coachable - thats the market we are in.

Certainly seems a highly rated player in France and has just played a full season as a key player which is a good sign.

3 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Thing we should calm down a bit on this one.

The one who broke the story as being very close is a journalist from le 10 Sport which is as crappiest a source as you can get in France.

Not saying it isn t happening but I wouldn t get our hopes up just yet.

L'Equipe broke it first tbf. https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Romain-perraud-brest-vers-l-angleterre/1259168

1 minute ago, stevy777_x said:

Yes they did but they didn’t say it was very close did they? They just said we were amongst the interested clubs.

Wouldn’t count out Leeds just yet. Plus Bielsa has a hell of a reputation in France

Nah it that link they say "Perraud seems closer to Southampton, which has good relations with the Finistère leaders. The two clubs have already collaborated last summer for the transfer of midfielder Ibrahima Diallo to the Saints , who had approached Perraud this winter. The operation should be completed in the coming days."

9 hours ago, TWar said:

Most fullbacks are around 5'10 or lower:

-Robertson and Trent are 5'9 and 5'10.
-Walker and Cancelo are 5'10'' and 6'0.
-James and Chilwell are 5'9 and 5'10.
-Shaw and Wan-Bisakka are 6'0 (apparently, dunno about that) and 6'0.
-Aurier and Regullion are 5'9 and 5'10
- Tierney and Bellerin are 5'10 and 5'10

KWP and Perraud would be 5'7 and 5'7 which would definitely be a little shorter but not miles off the norm.

All a bit irrelevant if we continue to play 3 at the back, with wing backs. 

Saintsweb at its best. We have a transfer thread for transfer rumors which is mostly people arguing about shit entirely unrelated to transfers. 
We get a rumour so start an extra thread because ... it’s a real rumour?

And the thread descends into people arguing about unrelated shit. Again. 
And no prizes for guessing who’s in the middle of the pointless arguments once again.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

What's the story on work permits and stuff like that now we are out of the EU.

Played 36 out of Brest's 38 games in Ligue Un. Which given it's a top six European league in terms of the work permit criteria should mean he should have no problems. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Saintsweb at its best. We have a transfer thread for transfer rumors which is mostly people arguing about shit entirely unrelated to transfers. 
We get a rumour so start an extra thread because ... it’s a real rumour?

And the thread descends into people arguing about unrelated shit. Again. 
And no prizes for guessing who’s in the middle of the pointless arguments once again.

Oh and dont forget that our yet to be confirmed, may not even sign, new signing....has already been written off by some because hes 5 foot 8 and doesnt meet the "SWF you must be this tall" requirement to ride the left back position  

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Oh and dont forget that our yet to be confirmed, may not even sign, new signing....has already been written off by some because hes 5 foot 8 and doesnt meet the "SWF you must be this tall" requirement to ride the left back position  

Behave. He's not been written off, just the point being made that he's short ish for a defender. 

28 minutes ago, GGalpin said:

Played 36 out of Brest's 38 games in Ligue Un. Which given it's a top six European league in terms of the work permit criteria should mean he should have no problems. 

Surprised it's not started already so thought I'd commence.

Another potentially great signing from Brest, as usual he will have his knockers on here but if there is a chance he can help us up front without needing extra support I think we have an opportunity to really see some long range bazookas from him.

PS - I identified as a woman writing this so dont be a bigot.

16 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Surprised it's not started already so thought I'd commence.

Another potentially great signing from Brest, as usual he will have his knockers on here but if there is a chance he can help us up front without needing extra support I think we have an opportunity to really see some long range bazookas from him.

PS - I identified as a woman writing this so dont be a bigot.

Bravo old chap.

• Haha 1

"As announced last Friday , Romain Perraud (23) will leave Brest to join Southampton, while Leeds also coveted him. Negotiations between the two clubs are continuing and final details related to bonuses remain to be finalized, but the transfer of the left-back, linked to SB 29 until 2025, is expected to exceed € 12m"

Update from L'equipe (https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Transferts-romain-perraud-brest-proche-de-southampton/1260431), hopefully that's close then

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mr X said:

Super stars of the championship or Scottish League maybe! I really find Djenepo frustrating as he has all the attributes of a top player just can't get any kind of consistency ala Redmond! 

this will sound daft, but maybe we need to follow the Alan Ball method of "just get it and give it to Matt" a bit more with our flair players. We don't feed them enough and then when they do get the ball there doesn't seem to be enough encouragement for them to be greedy and just run at players.

We work the ball into the final third, a winger has a full back in front of him, but instead of just trying to beat the player and risk losing it, we chose the `keep the ball and work the chance' method. Passing teams to death to create the space/opening is absolutely fine, but you have to be very good at it. If you have a flair player that can beat a man, then all that work is negated as once a man is beat, then the opponent is in real trouble.

Beating the man in the first place isn't easy. It's probably the hardest skill, but we've had players that can do it like Sane, Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo, but we don't seem to exploit their strength. Confidence is obviously key, but the manager has to give them that confidence - keep playing them, make them the focal point, keep demanding them to run at players...

I appreciate they could lose the ball (and fans will be on their backs quickly) and that can create problems defensively, but look at the difference Maxim makes to Newcastle's attack and he certainly appears to be encouraged to try to dribble and beat men.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chez said:

this will sound daft, but maybe we need to follow the Alan Ball method of "just get it and give it to Matt" a bit more with our flair players. We don't feed them enough and then when they do get the ball there doesn't seem to be enough encouragement for them to be greedy and just run at players.

We work the ball into the final third, a winger has a full back in front of him, but instead of just trying to beat the player and risk losing it, we chose the `keep the ball and work the chance' method. Passing teams to death to create the space/opening is absolutely fine, but you have to be very good at it. If you have a flair player that can beat a man, then all that work is negated as once a man is beat, then the opponent is in real trouble.

Beating the man in the first place isn't easy. It's probably the hardest skill, but we've had players that can do it like Sane, Boufal, Redmond and Djenepo, but we don't seem to exploit their strength. Confidence is obviously key, but the manager has to give them that confidence - keep playing them, make them the focal point, keep demanding them to run at players...

I appreciate they could lose the ball (and fans will be on their backs quickly) and that can create problems defensively, but look at the difference Maxim makes to Newcastle's attack and he certainly appears to be encouraged to try to dribble and beat men.

The issue is, beating a man in an efficient way is not as simple as giving it to someone in space and letting them go. If you beat someone, nowadays their teammate will be close behind them in the danger area ready to clean up and beating two people is very very tricky and very uncommon. You get players like Saint-Maximin for newcastle who can beat a man, but most of the time to get the man alone you end up running past them into a blind alley which is why he has elite dribble numbers but his actual attacking output is pretty mediocre.

To beat a man efficiently you need to create positional overloads and catch teams out, which involves just as much passing around and patience as trying to pass it through a team. You need clever runs to draw that second player out the way so that when Redmond beats the first guy he then has space to work in. Adams is very strong at this, but our attacking mids are not so great at making the most of it.

Edited by TWar

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

The issue is, beating a man in an efficient way is not as simple as giving it to someone in space and letting them go. If you beat someone, nowadays their teammate will be close behind them in the danger area ready to clean up and beating two people is very very tricky and very uncommon. You get players like Saint-Maximin for newcastle who can beat a man, but most of the time to get the man alone you end up running past them into a blind alley which is why he has elite dribble numbers but his actual attacking output is pretty mediocre.

To beat a man efficiently you need to create positional overloads and catch teams out, which involves just as much passing around and patience as trying to pass it through a team. You need clever runs to draw that second player out the way so that when Redmond beats the first guy he then has space to work in.

OK. Beating a man is obviously not as simple as passing it to a man in space. But is it easier to create an actual chance through passing it than creating a chance by beating a man? There is merit in both methods, but if you have skilful players like Djenepo, whose best facet is dribbling, then you have to exploit that or don't bother buying them in the first place.

IMO the best chances, those where you really ought to score, not simply get a shot away, are those when a player has been beaten, forcing another to leave his position and leave a gap for others. This is when you get stats like `one chance one goal' rather than lots of shots from range or under pressure. 

Saint-Maximin's attacking output is pretty mediocre?  I'd take him here every single day of the week.

13 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

We did particularly towards the end of the season, was in game changes. 

13 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

We did, without Bertrand and with Vestergaard,  Stephens and Bednarek it was 3 at the back in possession with wingbacks and 4222 out of possession. 

13 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

You clearly did not watch the last few games then. Your ill informed observation is much appreciated.

Just to clarify

We didn't

We set up as a 4222 as we have done throughout the entirety of the season, there were times in transition that we moved to a 3 back formation with the left sided midfielder becoming more of a wingback but ultimately we didn't set up in a traditional sense as a back 3. It was very much unorthodox and I don't expect us to progress with it really if we sign adequate cover at LB

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Chez said:

OK. Beating a man is obviously not as simple as passing it to a man in space. But is it easier to create an actual chance through passing it than creating a chance by beating a man? There is merit in both methods, but if you have skilful players like Djenepo, whose best facet is dribbling, then you have to exploit that or don't bother buying them in the first place.

IMO the best chances, those where you really ought to score, not simply get a shot away, are those when a player has been beaten, forcing another to leave his position and leave a gap for others. This is when you get stats like `one chance one goal' rather than lots of shots from range or under pressure. 

Saint-Maximin's attacking output is pretty mediocre?  I'd take him here every single day of the week.

I get what your saying, in actuality it is good to be able to do both, the threat of a pass can give room to dribble and the threat of a dribble can open up angles to pass. I was just saying the "give it to Matt" strategy of the past doesn't work so well with a compacted centre of the pitch, funnel out wide, tactical fouls on the half way line sort of play that football is now.

Also regarding Saint-Maximin, yeah he has three goals and four assists this season and exactly the same last season. That means across the two years Redmond has one less g+a in significantly fewer minutes, Armstrong has two more g+a in fewer minutes, even Walcott only put up one less this season and he has played much less. ASM is the very definition of flatters to deceive for me. Flashy to watch but very rarely leads to anything.

8 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Just to clarify

We didn't

We set up as a 4222 as we have done throughout the entirety of the season, there were times in transition that we moved to a 3 back formation with the left sided midfielder becoming more of a wingback but ultimately we didn't set up in a traditional sense as a back 3. It was very much unorthodox and I don't expect us to progress with it really if we sign adequate cover at LB

Ok, if that is what you want to think.

We did set up as 4222, but as I said - was in game changes. We did this for sure in the last couple of games and also i think going back a little further.

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Ok, if that is what you want to think.

We did set up as 4222, but as I said - was in game changes. We did this for sure in the last couple of games and also i think going back a little further.

I wasn't necessarily averse to it, and I am being pedantic

It just felt like a necessary change at the time enforced by a lack of options as opposed to a tactical progression moving forward. Unless Ralph goes with a 3 back formation incorporating two full wingbacks in KWP and AN OTHER (Perraud ?) then I think he'll drop back to a 4222 set up with inside forwards

We'll see

Back on topic I see Perraud as a very interesting talent, not entirely sure of how hard he will be able to hit the ground running considering the disparity in quality between Ligue1 and the Prem but its certainly a position we need to fill and he has the attributes to make it work

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

For the record, since this "Ralph plays in one way, he never used a 3 atb" thing seems to be gathering steam, here are the average positions of the players in our last two matches, Fulham and Leeds (discluding west ham as it wasn't available)

RQy0844wxYBUDxaV3Njt7O8FqZo_cJbkG7uTflnjOgPn8LM-bQcXwzCiajZB1dztiMt_FHc5OodW3Gc=w200-h200-nuxAKq46Ee5IPa2pHbicPfNptpZkxszd4ABpFzN8h70tKrnanTrGc19nEufEg62HFIFEN1Zcni0mAwpF0=w200-h200-nu

You can very clearly see that Vestergaard is playing at the base of a back three with Salisu level with Bednarek/Stephens. Redmond/Djenepo are clearly playing wide in the wingback roles and not in the very narrow "10 position" they normally occupy, playing at a very similar level to KWP. Below are two games from the beginning of the season for comparison.

VS9JF14R05Y_F_Pcq1J87OWxbNdB7AnqMF30YnTiaPMTcA2DnwhTmnLAH4EfwiWxw8SGCZCfws5yn7E=w200-h200-nuk7CH2FrmF97W106OfM4oWXiq34tahl-TJ5jTkhYgHUOWPotTRyqus606-EAjM0aSPSuIkSR4Xkqqcl8=w200-h200-nu

These two are earlier in the season against Fulham and West Ham. You can clearly see the attacking mid much more central, an obvious back two, and Bertrand much higher up.

Watch the game mate, you'll get a much better idea about whats going on that charts and diagrams with average positions on.

Just now, Turkish said:

Watch the game mate, you'll get a much better idea about whats going on that charts and diagrams with average positions on.

People are capable of doing both, and I did watch the game it was clearly a 3atb as this suggested. Anyway, I have moved this post to the manager thread as it has little to do with Perraud.

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I would like to formally announce that I have written off this guy already. Completely, 100% written off.

And when he signs I'll write him off again at half time on his debut.

Phttt ... that's nothing, I've already booed him!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I wasn't necessarily averse to it, and I am being pedantic

It just felt like a necessary change at the time enforced by a lack of options as opposed to a tactical progression moving forward. Unless Ralph goes with a 3 back formation incorporating two full wingbacks in KWP and AN OTHER (Perraud ?) then I think he'll drop back to a 4222 set up with inside forwards

We'll see

Back on topic I see Perraud as a very interesting talent, not entirely sure of how hard he will be able to hit the ground running considering the disparity in quality between Ligue1 and the Prem but its certainly a position we need to fill and he has the attributes to make it work

Yeah, I think Perraud is going to hit the ground running, quite like what ive seen and heard, although vids can be pretty misleading. I think we may see more advance from our wing backs as he will mirror KWP, perhaps with a MF moving back to cover depending which wing back is more advanced - think this will essentially convert as a back 3 temporarily.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I agree mate, watch the game, you get a much better idea of what’s actually happening with your own eyes and EARS as opposed to what others may actually want you to believe.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice