Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

TWar

4 hours ago, TWar said:

I get what your saying, in actuality it is good to be able to do both, the threat of a pass can give room to dribble and the threat of a dribble can open up angles to pass. I was just saying the "give it to Matt" strategy of the past doesn't work so well with a compacted centre of the pitch, funnel out wide, tactical fouls on the half way line sort of play that football is now.

Also regarding Saint-Maximin, yeah he has three goals and four assists this season and exactly the same last season. That means across the two years Redmond has one less g+a in significantly fewer minutes, Armstrong has two more g+a in fewer minutes, even Walcott only put up one less this season and he has played much less. ASM is the very definition of flatters to deceive for me. Flashy to watch but very rarely leads to anything.

Not quite sure what a congested middle has to do with getting the ball to flair players and asking them to take people on rather than probe defences with passing. We are talking about wide players here, usually faced by full backs and when games open up, full backs without cover. Tactical fouls ain't some new thing by the way. Jimmy Case was the master at it. You get yellow cards for it now, when you didn't in Matt's day. In fact you can't get away with much these days, so its easier than ever for skill players. The long and short of it, is that there is no point signing flair players if you don't get them to demonstrate that flair. And if you aren't getting them to try it, a lot, then they end up like Redmond, going into his shell a bit too much.

Saint Maximin scored three goals and five assists in 18 starts (according to transfer markt) for one of the worst sides in the league.  Stats aren't everything. Beat ten players, lay it off to someone who misses from a yard and you don't get a `1' added to your assists. Doesn't mean you aren't effective. My eyes tell me he is . He took us to pieces for starters, setting up two goals and completely turning Newcastles fortunes around after they had looked relegation certainties while he was injured. 

Would you not swap him for Djenepo, Theo or Redmond?

• Like 1

Ok back to Romain.

On their forum they are saying it will be around 12mil euro for him, OG Nice have a sell on % and apparently the only thing holding it up at the moment is the % sell on amount we are agreeing with them before it is signed.

Speculation is that salary is 140k a month - he was on 60k a month at Brest.

Also the dudes over there are talking about it would be good to take Valery as they need a RB as well apparently - yes please.

13 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Ok back to Romain.

On their forum they are saying it will be around 12mil euro for him, OG Nice have a sell on % and apparently the only thing holding it up at the moment is the % sell on amount we are agreeing with them before it is signed.

Speculation is that salary is 140k a month - he was on 60k a month at Brest.

Also the dudes over there are talking about it would be good to take Valery as they need a RB as well apparently - yes please.

Any news on who’s gazumped us?

28 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not quite sure what a congested middle has to do with getting the ball to flair players and asking them to take people on rather than probe defences with passing. We are talking about wide players here, usually faced by full backs and when games open up, full backs without cover. Tactical fouls ain't some new thing by the way. Jimmy Case was the master at it. You get yellow cards for it now, when you didn't in Matt's day. In fact you can't get away with much these days, so its easier than ever for skill players. The long and short of it, is that there is no point signing flair players if you don't get them to demonstrate that flair. And if you aren't getting them to try it, a lot, then they end up like Redmond, going into his shell a bit too much.

Saint Maximin scored three goals and five assists in 18 starts (according to transfer markt) for one of the worst sides in the league.  Stats aren't everything. Beat ten players, lay it off to someone who misses from a yard and you don't get a `1' added to your assists. Doesn't mean you aren't effective. My eyes tell me he is . He took us to pieces for starters, setting up two goals and completely turning Newcastles fortunes around after they had looked relegation certainties while he was injured. 

Would you not swap him for Djenepo, Theo or Redmond?

The issue with a congested middle is that if you imagine two holding midfielders in front of two centerbacks and two fairly narrow wingbacks the areas in and around the box are congested. For example, imagine we are up against newcastle. If ASM manages to nutmeg JWP and run round him then the space behind him is likely occupied by a CB or Romeu as there is very little room to manoeuvre for an attacking player. The gaps are instead left out wider, forcing the player to cut wide and try to cross.

Back in the day a 442 had 4 wider players and 4 central players behind the 2 strikers with a sizable gap between the more attacking CMs and the CBs, this allowed for gaps in the half spaces and between the lines which a tricky player can exploit. Nowadays people don't play with a 442, they more often play a 433, a 4231 (which we play a version of with the 4222), or with three atb. These systems don't leave gaps in the half spaces to exploit, and have center midfielders sat very deep with almost no gap between them and the CBs, making dribbling players a lot more challenging. Dribbling players is still a very important and heavily utilized skill but it doesn't occur from simply beating a man, you now need to set up a situation with an overload and then exploit it.

Regarding ASM, I probably would swap him for those three but they are a very low bar. I wouldn't swap him for Armstrong and I would hope the midfielder we bring in is better than he is.

Edited by TWar

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Any news on who’s gazumped us?

Dont think anyone else has looking at what they are saying, maybe just strategy from Brest to get leverage to increase the sell on %.

Looking around looked like Leeds and Newcastle were interested as well but I think we tried to get him in Jan and have Ibra, close to france etc so unless they offer ++ wages suggest this one could be done, but who knows.

Just read an article in Le Figaro from Feb where they likened him to Bixente Lizarazu - take that all day long.

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Dribbling players is still a very important and heavily utilized skill but it doesn't occur from simply beating a man, you now need to set up a situation with an overload and then exploit it.

Isn't beating a man one of the things that *creates* overloads? 

5 hours ago, TWar said:

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-romain-perraud-leeds-5508631

Still hopeful but won't be through till the end of the month as we are a way off. That does not sound at all hopeful.

Who writes this crap? Diallo didn't need a work permit and the rules have changed so the Sangaré issue is irrelevent. Ironically, we probably would have been able to get a work permit for Sangaré this year with the new rules.

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Isn't beating a man one of the things that *creates* overloads? 

Its both really, if you beat a man then you often can double up on the next man, however if the next man is unoccupied they can double up on you. It's about building numerical superiorities and finding space using them I guess. From what I understand anyway.

On 09/06/2021 at 22:25, Cartman said:

Who writes this crap? Diallo didn't need a work permit and the rules have changed so the Sangaré issue is irrelevent. Ironically, we probably would have been able to get a work permit for Sangaré this year with the new rules.

Tom Leach. Anyone who thinks that we wouldn't have got the work permit issue straightened out before entering negotiations is a bit dumb. There are clear rules and points that can be totalled up, it is really quite cut and dried whether a player meets the criteria or not. If it was borderline I would imagine we would have done some investigations before proceeding too far. 

What do Wikipedia know that we don't?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romain_Perraud

Does that make me ITK? (Hahahaha)

(Just seen that Wiki has changed again - it was showing that he is left back for Southampton FC - it has reverted to his own club so apologies as this message now makes no sense at all and my ITK status is in tatters!!!🤣)

Edited by Saint Keef

Diallo was his former team mate & for me there's lots of question marks over diallo already, he hasn't looked great, lots of casual loose passes from him giving away possession, he is in a new league though and only 22 

Edited by Mr X

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Diallo was his former team mate & for me there's lots of question marks over diallo already, he hasn't looked great, lots of casual loose passes from him giving away possession, he is in a new league though and only 22 

When he first played I thought he looked exciting. I camt remember if that was with Romeu or not but certainly since Romeu has been out and he played more often he has certainly looked less exciting. Like you say a fair few loose passes but it also looked to me like he was trying to hard to implement whatever instructions RH gave him and as a consequence was less free. He clearly has some skill and I think he will be better as a box to box type rather than a sitter. If he plays a bit further up the pitch we might see more of his talent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

When he first played I thought he looked exciting. I camt remember if that was with Romeu or not but certainly since Romeu has been out and he played more often he has certainly looked less exciting. Like you say a fair few loose passes but it also looked to me like he was trying to hard to implement whatever instructions RH gave him and as a consequence was less free. He clearly has some skill and I think he will be better as a box to box type rather than a sitter. If he plays a bit further up the pitch we might see more of his talent. 

Yeah, Diallo definitely isn't a destroyer.  I see him as competition to JWP rather than Romeu.

• Like 1

I have a feeling Ibrahim Sangare, who PSV beat us to (for moving too slowly?!) before we turned our attentions to Diallo, was perhaps more physical but still able to play when on the ball. He's 6ft 3in and seemed to have a greater physical presence than Diallo. No idea how he got on at PSV but I wonder if he was more of the destroyer we were after.

4 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I have a feeling Ibrahim Sangare, who PSV beat us to (for moving too slowly?!) before we turned our attentions to Diallo, was perhaps more physical but still able to play when on the ball. He's 6ft 3in and seemed to have a greater physical presence than Diallo. No idea how he got on at PSV but I wonder if he was more of the destroyer we were after.

incorrect. We had a deal agreed but we failed to get a work permit. 

35 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Maybe that's what Sangare perceived as us moving too slowly?

Perhaps, certainly sounds like it, we had a deal agreed, tried to secure a work permit, failed, maybe we appealed, in the meantime PSV swoop in a nick him. 

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

god, reading the comments from Ralph is depressing, we may 2 or 3 including loans. I really am surprised that Ralph hasnt unearthed some gems from his Austrian and German footballing background

also disappointed that a manager from oversees hasn't been able to recommend more players, that are within our price range from his former league. Maybe everyone good is just too well known across europe.

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

also disappointed that a manager from oversees hasn't been able to recommend more players, that are within our price range from his former league. Maybe everyone good is just too well known across europe.

Probably has but likelihood is we can't afford them. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chez said:

15 minutes ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

How can you not afford players in your price range? 🤔

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

`probably has made recommendations, but those players are all out of our price range'? Could be, but you'd hope he'd be aware of some players coming to the end of contracts etc. that would be affordable. Maybe he wasn't involved in the scouting/transfers, although not sure why that would be the case. If you live and die by your players and the players you bring in, then surely you'd be all over that?

30 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

This seems to have gone very quiet, only new stories on him in recent days are basically saying Leeds aren't going for him or have moved onto other targets. 

My guess is that we have got an agreement him but one or both parties want it done after the end of June.  Possibly for accounting purposes, or perhaps he will receive bonuses if he stays at Brest until after the end of June (the typical end of a football contract year).

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

This somewhat makes sense considering that it’s gone relatively quiet after lots of daily updates.

Yeah, fair play to Hampshire Live calling both it and the timescale. The post far too often to the point they just keep reposting things but their new information does seem to be pretty reliable.

21 hours ago, Alanh said:

My guess is that we have got an agreement him but one or both parties want it done after the end of June.  Possibly for accounting purposes, or perhaps he will receive bonuses if he stays at Brest until after the end of June (the typical end of a football contract year).

Yeh good point, think all contracts go till 30th June so yeh probably loyalty bonus or something, also never sure on when the window actually opens for international transfers. 

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh good point, think all contracts go till 30th June so yeh probably loyalty bonus or something, also never sure on when the window actually opens for international transfers. 

The summer transfer window will open on Wednesday June 9, 2021 for Premier League clubs and it will run for 12 weeks until 11pm BST (6pm ET) on Tuesday August 31. That means transfers deals can be officially concluded before Euro 2020 kicks off on June 11.

He is also currently on holiday, as are lots of players, so the medicals and formalities can be sorted once they return.

Regarding Perraud, from everything I have read this seems like a very good signing - encouraging.

On 18/06/2021 at 10:23, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Apparently he's in contention to represent France at the Olympics in Tokyo subject to permission from saints. I'm sure Ralph will want him in for preseason. 

The Synchronized Swimming is usually finished within the first week so hopefully he'll be touching down at Eastleigh by the end of July. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice