Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

TWar

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud
3 minutes ago, santolijador said:

Thought he was pretty decent, shades of a left-sided Kieran Trippier - solid in defence, a little bit less exciting than our other options going forward, but nonetheless a good squad player and will have a role to play in the coming games/years 

I thought he looked alright going forward 11 v 11 but naturally less so when we switched to a back 4 and had Adam Armstrong in front of him. Overall did well, we seem to have gone from being shite in the full back positions to it being arguably our strongest area 

Decent squad player. Solid but unspectacular. Just the sort of person you need around to cover injuries and suspensions while giving an option for rotating when necessary.

Full back is such an important position we really don't want to be going back to playing a CB or Djenepo there.

Unfortunately for Perraud there's a chance that Small will hurdle him for a first team place at some point because he seems to have the pace and dribbling ability the modern full back needs especially in the system we play.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He was good yesterday, not brilliant but sound. He is a better defender than Tino (as is KWP) but not as good attacking (though his crosses are on par). If he can get the attacking side of his game right then we have a very good left sided full back. 

I do wonder if we wouldn't be better off having kwp in his natural rb position with peraud on the left and trying tino higher up. I'd really like to see us try that some time. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I do wonder if we wouldn't be better off having kwp in his natural rb position with peraud on the left and trying tino higher up. I'd really like to see us try that some time. 

You, me, and every other Saints fan.

• Like 4

Might have said it before (but can’t be bothered to look it up) Perraud is one of Lawrie Mac’s “roadsweepers” no fancy Dan stuff just a workhorse with a good paced engine to get up and down the line, when he gets to the goal line you know he is looking whip the ball over into the mixer. 
I like him and it does add more fuel to the fire for giving KWP and Tino a spin up the right, that would likely make our right side a nightmare for the oppos.  To my mind the left back position wouldn’t be weakened with Perraud. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Might have said it before (but can’t be bothered to look it up) Perraud is one of Lawrie Mac’s “roadsweepers” no fancy Dan stuff just a workhorse with a good paced engine to get up and down the line, when he gets to the goal line you know he is looking whip the ball over into the mixer. 
I like him and it does add more fuel to the fire for giving KWP and Tino a spin up the right, that would likely make our right side a nightmare for the oppos.  To my mind the left back position wouldn’t be weakened with Perraud. 

Agree with you.  Quite bizarre (in a good way) the Club has two top quality RBs a very competent LB and a young LB in Small rapidly putting himself into the frame.

19 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I raised this suggestion a little while ago and was shot down by someone who said it wouldn’t work as Tino’s strength is running from deep. 

It appears that our full back (livermento, KWP, Perraud, varley and Small) is strongest in our recent history. They can be our power house, running up and down on the left and right all day and getting substituted after half time when they are tired. To fully utilise our strong full back, we need a target man with good headers. 

On 29/12/2021 at 08:32, VectisSaint said:

He was good yesterday, not brilliant but sound. He is a better defender than Tino (as is KWP) but not as good attacking (though his crosses are on par). If he can get the attacking side of his game right then we have a very good left sided full back. 

Rather have a defender who is better at defending than a defender who is not so good at defending but better at attacking. The clue for me is in the word 'defender'.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Maggie May said:

I raised this suggestion a little while ago and was shot down by someone who said it wouldn’t work as Tino’s strength is running from deep. 

Think I'd rather see Tino sprinting into space down the right from a ball played down the line than trying to pick his way through a crowded area where he is often dispossessed or forced to turn back and recycle the ball. For me his danger is as a marauder pushing back the opposition full back and he has the skill and pace to do that whilst helping cover his full back partner. His attributes are a bit wasted at present because I don't think he's a great defender although he may improve on that front. He is made to play in front of KWP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maggie May said:

It may have been me. His asset is running from deep and dragging us up the field. For me, that gets nullified by him starting 30 yards up field, and in a position that's alien to him. That said, I reckon he could do a job up and I wouldn't mind seeing it, especially in a 4141 where the wide men have a different role. 

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

How did he get on tonight, guys?

Tenacious, committed, solid in the tackle.

Playing the other side to KWP or Livramento with them flying forward at speed shows up his comparative lack of pace but there's not much he can do about that.

56 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

A very tenacious little player. Doesn't have much in his locker technically from what I've seen, but he doesn't half get stuck in and isn't afraid of the battle. Bit of a warrior/fighter and you need players like him in and around the squad.

This.

I'm a fan. He's so committed and energetic. Seems a team player. Bit of a niggly little shit too, which we need.

Good signing.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

A very tenacious little player. Doesn't have much in his locker technically from what I've seen, but he doesn't half get stuck in and isn't afraid of the battle. Bit of a warrior/fighter and you need players like him in and around the squad.

Rewind 25-30 years and this would perfectly describe a certain other Saints LB, who went on to become a club legend.

I was very impressed with Perraud last night. And with KWP showing what we have missed defensively on the other side AND contributing to our attack, I would be very surprised if Tino automatically gets his place back when he's fit.

With a back 4 of Perraud, Salisu, KWP and any one of Bednarek, Stephens or Lyanco, our defence looks so much better than it was this time last year.

• Like 2

I was surprised he was getting some stick after the Swansea game, as all the games i’d seen him it I thought he was decent. Maybe we’ve become used to some very good full backs in our recent history, we’ve set the bar a bit high. Pleased to see plenty of praise for him last night, he was great.

Such a good depth option. Having a player who would a genuinely fine starter for midtable sides behind two fullbacks who can push for europe (KWP and Tino) is absolutely mad as an upgrade from last season when we had to play Bertrand as first choice LB and our depth options were out of position CBs.

The answers to what were Ralph & Pep discussing…

Pep, have you seen Sterling?

Ralph, it looks similar to euros but to be honest I normally pay by card

Pep, I meant my international winger Raheem 

Ralph, I will ask the kitman to look in Perrauds pocket

Pep, also Girlish has asked can he have a signed Romeu shirt?

Ralph, tell him to ask Oriel nicely 

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

I don’t know why I bump this thread up occasionally - But is the little fella underrated ?

Feisty, tenacious, incredible cross on him, good passer of the ball. Better defensive players out there but it's good enough for what we need. And he should improve as he settles more into the English game. Wouldn't be surprised to see him getting in the French squad if he keeps this form up.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice