Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

TWar

42 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

He was our best player yesterday. Aggressive, huge workrate and not afraid to have a shot unlike far too many others. Having watches MotD last night, they should've had a penalty for one of his challenges and he got away with an assault in the corner but at least he got stuck into them and gave them a rough afternoon

I disagree. Soucek just flung himself to the ground. They do this a lot these forwards.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Perraud has got a good shot on him but that's about it. Really can't see anything that impressive so far.

I have to disagree, he should play every game, especially while Tino is out. He has often been scapegoated by Ralph, particularly after the 0 - 4 away to Villa last season, that wasn't down to him, that was down to the MIA midfield, and they have been playing that way ever since that match. I think our defence is the only part of the team that's at the required level, the suicidal narrow midfield exposes them badly at times. There was so much space out wide again yesterday, sometimes two and 3 man overloads, I'm surprised WHU didn't shred us, they probably would have done if they weren't suffering a Europa hangover. 

28 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I disagree. Soucek just flung himself to the ground. They do this a lot these forwards.

Regardless of whether he flung himself to the ground, doesn't contact equal penalty? Tbf both teams should have had a penalty.

16 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good to see somebody getting stuck in and not letting the opposition settle. Technically, he’s not the best but he’s got a good attitude & a bit of fight about him. Certainly better than watching Djneppo mince about at full back. 

This is what I've always liked about Romain, he's got a bit of aggression about him and isn't afraid to get stuck in like you say.

We don't really have any other players who do that, which is quite shocking in it's self.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This is what I've always liked about Romain, he's got a bit of aggression about him and isn't afraid to get stuck in like you say.

We don't really have any other players who do that, which is quite shocking in it's self.

Wonder if he would have been in the starting 11 at all if Tino had not been injured. KWP at left back

5 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Good to see somebody getting stuck in and not letting the opposition settle. Technically, he’s not the best but he’s got a good attitude & a bit of fight about him. Certainly better than watching Djneppo mince about at full back. 

Agreed. He's a solid defender at this level. Nothing special but good enough for us. 

On the topic of Djenepo, what's happened to him? Done alright as a makeshift left-back in a time of desperation. Signed one of those charitable contracts we like to hand out and then hasn't got near the pitch since. I know it's picking the best of a bad bunch, but surely he should be ahead of Walcott in the attacking pecking order with reports of him starting yesterday and his moments are better than anything Elyounoussi's produced.

Seems like we've tried everyone in attack, but him.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Confused 1

Just now, DT said:

He is an excellent bright spark. Tenacious, skilful, gives his all. Should start every game. Can't get enough of character like his (and Lyanco's) in a young squad (and led by a rather timid  captain)

Agree with this. He's not the best left back in the world, but he's more than good enough for us, and love his passion and application. Will be very interesting to see what happens when we get Tino, Lavia, ABK all fit, and probably at least 1 forward player brought in. Could be a really exciting second half to the season.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd give this a little bump. Fantastic today and coped very well 80% of the time against a very good Raheem Sterling - not going to be facing that quality every week. Such passion when he clears the ball off the line. We're gonna need that if we are to stay up. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I've always loved his aggression and appetite for the game, he's not the best technically and can get caught at times - but he gives 110% every single week and fans love that, can totally get behind players like him.

Yep, all of that, and he wants to score goals and sometimes does.  Nailed on starter for me.    

• Like 4

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Was hoping we would keep him for competition for Manning. Not sure I'd want Larios or Meghoma to step in if needed. I know KWP can play left back, but that would leave Bree in on the right.

You think KWP is staying? We've sold pretty much everyone else....would be weird if he stays.

7 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Was hoping we would keep him for competition for Manning. Not sure I'd want Larios or Meghoma to step in if needed. I know KWP can play left back, but that would leave Bree in on the right.

I don’t think he was ever really likely to stay, especially once Manning came in and effectively made him backup for a Championship team. Whether we like it or not, the likes of Bree and Larios are about the level we’re going to have for cover in that position. Even in the Premier League we only had the likes of Pied, Martina and Fox as cover.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

🚨 Nice’s option to buy as part of Romain Perraud’s loan move is ‘slightly more’ than €10 million #saintsfc @LeMechenoua

I can never see that option being taken up if true

Let's hope that comes through because we're on the bones of our arse here. We need that money so bad

• Haha 1

I quite liked him. He worked hard, got forward and, despite managers moaning about delivery, got a couple of goals.

However, reading between the lines, he wanted away and was part of a vocal enough group, that we had Manning in for a while waiting for him to go. Despite his strengths, it's been clear he wasn't going to get a look in. Playing him at centre half in a losing team was my last memory of him.

We have a replacement, youngsters waiting in the wings to step up, and cover. Perraud is one where I hoped the commitment he showed would lead him to do well for us for seasons, only for the pressures and personalities of that horrible season turn it the other way and make a departure best for all concerned.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Really wanted Perraud to stay I really liked his commitment and aggressive style of play and marauding runs from left back. Good luck to him :)

Thought he could do a decent job for us in the Championship. Liked his aggression and shithousing.

Good luck to him.

• Like 2

We don't need him and Manning. Both are average defenders, but Manning gives us so much more with the ball, is tactically sound, steps into midfield, is creative, and rarely wastes the ball. 

We won't miss Perraud, although I'm grateful for his commitment to the cause. Good luck to the lad. 

• Like 1

He was one of the ones I expected to leave pretty sharpish, surprised it's taken this long. (I guess his injury didn't help).

There are only a handful of players I'd be happy for us to keep from our worst ever PL team, and he isn't one of them.

Worked hard and was committed - so you have to appreciate that, but he was extremely limited and such a downgrade on Bertrand.

Bit of a shrug of the shoulders really, could probably do a job at this level but haven’t seen anything sensational at Premier League level aside from the odd long shot. (We all remember his thunderbolt against West Ham in the cup).

What I mean by that is if we were still in the Premier League and looking to improve your starting eleven, he could easily be one of those positions you’d look to maybe improve.

All the best to him. 🤷🏻‍♂️

As I said early doors in the transfer thread, Perraud was one of the more vocal if the French lads that wanted out af the end of last season (and Diallo) I have also expected Mara and Sully to go too but so far they’re here

We signed Manning as a direct replacement, Im assuming the loan signifies the fact we couldn’t offload Perraud effectively

I was never anticipating him to play any part this year, hopefully he plays well and Nice buy him

5 hours ago, egg said:

We don't need him and Manning. Both are average defenders, but Manning gives us so much more with the ball, is tactically sound, steps into midfield, is creative, and rarely wastes the ball. 

We won't miss Perraud, although I'm grateful for his commitment to the cause. Good luck to the lad. 

Pretty much this. Fairly dispensable at this point and it's becoming apparent when push comes to shove we will opt to jettison a player that was a part of the 22/23 season.

The strategy is becoming pretty obvious at this point -

1. put together a team in RM's image

2. get rid of players that have the stink of last year on them

3. recoup money that was disastrously spent last year 

4. get/retain just enough talent to get us promoted - loanees being a big part of that equation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

As I said early doors in the transfer thread, Perraud was one of the more vocal if the French lads that wanted out af the end of last season (and Diallo) I have also expected Mara and Sully to go too but so far they’re here

We signed Manning as a direct replacement, Im assuming the loan signifies the fact we couldn’t offload Perraud effectively

I was never anticipating him to play any part this year, hopefully he plays well and Nice buy him

Didn't sound that way when he posted on social media after he was injured. Sounded like he fully expected to be back playing for Saints 'next season'. 

37 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Didn't sound that way when he posted on social media after he was injured. Sounded like he fully expected to be back playing for Saints 'next season'. 

I thought it was about as genuine as his tracking back.

1 minute ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Im just sharing what I heard at the end of the season and its pretty reliable

He has definitely been angling to go for a while behind the scenes. His agent was already trying to line up moves (to Bundesliga/Ligue 1) before our season had ended. She also represents Djenepo, so let's hope she's got him something in the pipeline too... :lol:

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

11 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Love his commitment and effort but that doesn't win points. Can't understand how anyone rates him. He and Manning are both awful defensively but Manning is much better than him going forward.

Hes really not. Perraud had 4 goals and 2 assists across nearly 30 PL/FA Cup starts last season. Think he was our 5th/6th top scorer. Manning is doing well, but its a much easier level

Edited by woodsaint1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

He was out best actual left back on the books... Wonder who we've got coming in to cover/replace Manning...

I'm not sure there will be anyone. It might be that KWP switches over with Bree/Holgate at right back. Then there's Meghoma, Djenepo or Larios depending on his injury, at left back.

Shame he obviously doesn't fancy the championship or the wages are an issue but I personally think he's a step up from manning in quality, we've sold well over a 100 million of players now.... There's some solid players but Yet to be genuinely excited by anyone we've bought in so far