Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice

TWar

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Signs 4 Year Contract

Looks good. Slightly suprised its a 4yr deal not 5 though.

We seem to frequently get into the issue of them only having a year left and being forced to sell for less than you would ideally like, i.e Clyne, Wanyama, Hojbjerg, Vestergaard, Ings.

4 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Looks a bit too much like Cedric for me to get excited about 

There is a passing likeness!

Was anyone excited when Cedric joined? I don't recall any real interest around it.

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

There is a passing likeness!

Was anyone excited when Cedric joined? I don't recall any real interest around it.

That was because everyone was in meltdown because we'd sold another player to Liverpool with Cedric seen as a cheap replacement for Clyne

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

We seem to frequently get into the issue of them only having a year left and being forced to sell for less than you would ideally like, i.e Clyne, Wanyama, Hojbjerg, Vestergaard, Ings.

Don't we frequently get into the issue of signing shit players that have contracts that go forever as well that we can't shift for any money? Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carillo.

Giving everyone five year deals would be insane.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Don't we frequently get into the issue of signing shit players that have contracts that go forever as well that we can't shift for any money? Hoedt, Lemina, Elyounoussi, Carillo.

This. Plan should be 4 year deal, then after year 1 if they look the business offer them an extra year with a pay rise. So protects the value of the player if they’re good, and doesn’t leave us totally marooned if they’re shite.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Thats true, but if you are confident that you are recruiting the right players then 5 is clearly better than 4, especially for the younger players.

For example, Daka and Soumare both signed 5 yrs for Leicester, meaning they have no pressure of needing to think about selling for 3 years, and the players values will be at their highest then.

For us, someone like Salisu now has 3 years left, his optimal sale time would be at the end of this season, which is really his first full season.

I guess a way around it is to look to extend after a year if these guys do well...but there is little incentive for the player to do that unless the pay rise is significant.

Just seems silly as a club that relies on sales so heavily to get backed into a corner so often and end up selling players for less than they are worth when they get to one year remaining.

Appreciate in this case it is very premature to think of it, but 4yrs seems to have become a norm at Saints for these type of sjgnings, probably for the reason you say.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Thats true, but if you are confident that you are recruiting the right players then 5 is clearly better than 4, especially for the younger players.

For example, Daka and Soumare both signed 5 yrs for Leicester, meaning they have no pressure of needing to think about selling for 3 years, and the players values will be at their highest then.

For us, someone like Salisu now has 3 years left, his optimal sale time would be at the end of this season, which is really his first full season.

I guess a way around it is to look to extend after a year if these guys do well...but there is little incentive for the player to do that unless the pay rise is significant.

Just seems silly as a club that relies on sales so heavily to get backed into a corner so often and end up selling players for less than they are worth when they get to one year remaining.

Appreciate in this case it is very premature to think of it, but 4yrs seems to have become a norm at Saints for these type of sjgnings, probably for the reason you say.

It's premature to assume those two signings for Leicester are guaranteed success stories. They've splashed cash before on flops. I looked up Slimani, £28m mega signing - total flop, and you've guessed it, five year contract. Zip appearances and loan after loan after loan.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's premature to assume those two signings for Leicester are guaranteed success stories. They've splashed cash before on flops. I looked up Slimani, £28m mega signing - total flop, and you've guessed it, five year contract. Zip appearances and loan after loan after loan.

Yeah of course, every club has those. But the high profile players they have sold they have got big money for because they were protected by long contracts. 

Chilwell signed a new contract shortly before moving to Chelsea, Maddison already done similar hence the ludicrous fee quoted for him. Same with Grealish.

Closer to home I think Callum Wilson signed a new contract every yeat at Bmth for about 4yrs in a row and same with Dunk at Brighton.

No easy answer, just an observation seeing as our last few sales and likely ones this summer are for players with just one year left - leaving us with no real power.

26 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Of course you’d be confident you were signing the right players, you wouldn’t sign someone for £15m at £50k a week if you thought they were a load of shite. 4 years seems about right for most clubs. 

The stories and write ups around this lad are very impressive. I can't say I've seen much of him myself, but he's seemingly someone we've tracked for a while - as well as clubs on more of an upward trajectory than us, so that's a positive.

Looking forward to seeing how he does. We certainly needed more down the left hand side and this should give us that.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

20210702_190539.jpg

That successful dribbles disparity and success % are insane. Looks like a new way to advance from the back so we don't need to always hoof long or go sideways.

1 hour ago, TWar said:

That successful dribbles disparity and success % are insane. Looks like a new way to advance from the back so we don't need to always hoof long or go sideways.

I'm hoping the biggest difference will mean our attacks don't always come down the same side. We've been too predictable, all the opponents have to do is stick one of their mids to the left to defend against KWP and we're 80% less dangerous.

Welcome Romain. That's one right back (assuming Valery has no future here) and now one left back in the squad. One more versatile full back required or, even better, one of each.

Sweepstake on the next positional signing? I'm going with... striker. 😛

18 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Welcome Romain. That's one right back (assuming Valery has no future here) and now one left back in the squad. One more versatile full back required or, even better, one of each.

I'll go another fullback. I think we'll get Williams in on loan soon as it makes sense for everyone to have him in for the preseason including United.

21 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

2 minutes ago, TWar said:

I'll go another fullback. I think we'll get Williams in on loan soon as it makes sense for everyone to have him in for the preseason including United.

Agree with TWar.  Versatile fullback, I think.

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Hmmm I would have thought the league would be a factor.

Course it is. Some people can’t see beyond “stats”. 

I have t got a clue if the blokes any good, I’ll watch him play and then decide. I know it’s old fashioned, but that’s the best way. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Course it is. Some people can’t see beyond “stats”. 

I have t got a clue if the blokes any good, I’ll watch him play and then decide. I know it’s old fashioned, but that’s the best way. 

Exactly. That table also doesn’t include the two keys stats that determine how good a footballer someone is;

- how many bollockings does he give to teammates on average per match

- how many footballs has he taken in the face during the season

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Dusic said:

This is good news. We have learned from past mistakes thank goodness.

Under the circumstances this is a good, exciting signing who should go straight into the starting 11. It will be very interesting to see how he links up with Redmond or whoever is in front of him. Where he’s come from is an irrelevance, it’s how he applies himself and while I liked Bertie, I’ll not miss the apparent lack of energy that was part of his on-field persona.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Under the circumstances this is a good, exciting signing who should go straight into the starting 11. It will be very interesting to see how he links up with Redmond or whoever is in front of him. Where he’s come from is an irrelevance, it’s how he applies himself and while I liked Bertie, I’ll not miss the apparent lack of energy that was part of his on-field persona.

He’ll go into the first 11 as he’s the only left back we’ve got 🤣

• Haha 1

Welcome saint romain you have huge potential, I hope you achieve it with us.  Hope you aren't our only significant signing though, our club needs at least four new signings if we are going to avoid a repeat of the second half of last season.  

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romain Perraud - Official: Loan to Nice