Brandon Williams

Matthew Le God

2 hours ago, benjii said:

What's your source for this? Sounds like an urban myth. 

How would the net figure be known with any certainty? 

And you can work out average salary from club accounts reporting on salary mass, and it's not 40%+ higher than it should be (which it would be if all football wages noted were net of tax).

And what if the tax rate changes? The club has to gross up the salary to deliver the quoted net figure? Nah, that's bull.

So I reckon you're wrong, mush.

It’s not normally paid over as a taxable salary these days. Much of it goes as ‘image rights’ and would therefore be paid to some separate company.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

It’s not normally paid over as a taxable salary these days. Much of it goes as ‘image rights’ and would therefore be paid to some separate company.

Image rights payments are made but they're not the bulk of the salary for the vast majority of players - HMRC clamped down on this. Paul Pogba, Harry Kane, de Bruyne etc. sure, they earn loads of image rights and those will be paid as royalties to a service company, not as PAYE.

Jack Stephens, Alex McCarthy, Nathan Redmond.... they aren't earning the bulk of their salary as image rights, however.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Relevant to this ongoing saga - who was the last player we signed from Utd, either directly, loan or free transfer? I can't think of any players, but there must be?!

It isn't a well trodden path. You have to go back a very long way!

Jim McCalliog in the 1974/75 season

• Like 1

We've had players that played for Man Utd previously (Hughes, Kanchelskis) and obviously some that went from us to them (Shaw, Schneiderlin) but none in recent times between them and us.

Francis Burns in 1972 is one that a quick search brings up.

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't a well trodden path. You have to go back a very long way!

Jim McCalliog in the 1974/75 season

Turned out to be a good buy and played a big part in our 1976 FA Cup win.  He scored the winning goal against Bradford in the quarter-final and in the final, it was McCalliog that laid on the pass to Bobby Stokes for the goal.

26 minutes ago, redkeith said:

I think I would rather have Clyne on a free as cover, less wages, no loan fee.

I forgot about Clyne, very good player and still only 30. I think a lot depends on where his head is at. 

17 hours ago, SNSUN said:

We've had players that played for Man Utd previously (Hughes, Kanchelskis) and obviously some that went from us to them (Shaw, Schneiderlin) but none in recent times between them and us.

Francis Burns in 1972 is one that a quick search brings up.

Yes that is the only one I remember

Seems mad that we will have chased a 3rd choice Man Utd full back for 3 windows in a row and still not signed him.

Hope we have some other options we can move on fast as looks like he will be starting the season in Utd's team.

Unless we go with Djenepo as LB cover til January and go after Williams for a 4th window...

29 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Surely this is dead in the water now. A shame for the lad as he clearly wants to leave, but United seem pretty rubbish when it comes to getting rid/letting go of out of favour players. 

The problem is his wages I'd guess. A reserve team full back on £65k a week won't be easy to move on. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Refusing to pay a £2m loan fee and £65k wages for a player who'd be a backup does not mean the club couldn't afford him... they may just not see the deal as good value.

It's a good deal if it provides us the cover which stops us going down. That £2m would have been seen as a snip then. Let's see if he helps one of our direct rivals stay up instead of ourselves, then we'll see what the good deal was.

As it stands we are in a worse position at full back than last year, given that Perrud is an untested quantity and our only senior LB. The talk from Ralph about Moussa being an 'option' scares the absolute shit out of me, it shouldn't even be being considered.

Edited by S-Clarke

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

It's a good deal if it provides us the cover which stops us going down. That £2m would have been seen as a snip then. Let's see if he helps one of our direct rivals stay up instead of ourselves, then we'll see what the good deal was.

As it stands we are in a worse position at full back than last year, given that Perrud is an untested quantity and our only senior LB. The talk from Ralph about Moussa being an 'option' scares the absolute shit out of me, it shouldn't even be being considered.

Stop wetting your knickers deary. 

As Mathew said, maybe the club think £2m + 65k per week is too much. Something I completely agree with btw. Brandon really isn't that good.

I am sure we will sign someone else as cover for LB. The season doesn't start for another 2 weeks yet. And the window will still be open for a further 2 when it does.

Oh, and yes, let's see where Saints and Norwich sit at the season's end. I sincerely doubt they will be above us - with or without the defensive God that is Brandon Williams......... (Yes, that was sarcasm!)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So the only alternative to relegation is signing Williams?

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Williams is not the only back up fullback on the market. Still a month of the window left.

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Not at all what I was saying. But if we've baulked at paying £2m for Williams, then I'm not sure who else is out there that could be considered as decent value.

I just want us to compete, that's all.

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Having defensive cover, or an alternative, is vital. We often fell apart when we had to change our defence last season. We need full back cover/options and Williams would have given us that. As it is, we've got Valery and Djenepo and of we had to play both of them, plus say Stephens, it'd be carnage. 

Just now, egg said:

Having defensive cover, or an alternative, is vital. We often fell apart when we had to change our defence last season. We need full back cover/options and Williams would have given us that. As it is, we've got Valery and Djenepo and of we had to play both of them, plus say Stephens, it'd be carnage. 

That's exactly it. What worries me is the talk that Moussa is an option at left back, that is already screaming alarms bells to me - setting the ground for ''well, we tried - but Moussa has shown he can play there'' bollocks come 1st Sept.

Hey, maybe we have actually agreed a deal with that Doig fella and we see that as better value - who knows. I just feel pretty flat about it all at the moment.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

We definitely need full back cover but if Williams isn't offering value at £2m then I'm sure there are other players who can do the job.

Remember when we missed out on Sangare and went out and spent more on Diallo? It's never as simple as one player holds the key to everything

• Like 1

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We definitely need full back cover but if Williams isn't offering value at £2m then I'm sure there are other players who can do the job.

Remember when we missed out on Sangare and went out and spent more on Diallo? It's never as simple as one player holds the key to everything

Absolutely, I'm not saying it had to be Williams. I'm just surprised that a £2m loan fee was an issue. Going way back to their promotion year, we took a 7 figure loan fee from Leicester (a championship club then) for a midfielder (name escapes me), and 7 years later we're baulking at not much more for a player who can cover both sides in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Absolutely, I'm not saying it had to be Williams. I'm just surprised that a £2m loan fee was an issue. Going way back to their promotion year, we took a 7 figure loan fee from Leicester (a championship club then) for a midfielder (name escapes me), and 7 years later we're baulking at not much more for a player who can cover both sides in the Premier League. 

We are no doubt paying the price for wasting millions on some really really bad and expensive purchases in the last few seasons and the price we are paying now is that we cant even afford a 2mill loan fee.

This season is going to be a tough watch.

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not at all what I was saying. But if we've baulked at paying £2m for Williams, then I'm not sure who else is out there that could be considered as decent value.

I just want us to compete, that's all.

I get what you are saying. Pretty baffling to me that we would let this one go. Ralph obviously wanted the lad, we've tried to get him for the past three windows. I don't agree with paying loan fees, but sometimes you have to suck it up. Not saying the lad is a world beater, but better to have him playing than the sheer lunacy that is Moussa at left back.

29 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Ordinarily, I'd be reluctant for us to pay a fee to help develop another team's younger players, but removing age from the equation....£2m + 65k pw for a dual-sided fullback (arguably negating the need to sign/have a dedicated 4th FB) for a player we've clearly been actively pursuing for a while, doesn't sound like bad value imo.