Brandon Williams

Matthew Le God

Looking likely to happen soon...

Kyle Walker-Peters- right back

Romain Perraud- left back

Brandon Williams - left & right back

Need a 4th fullback, unless happy for Salisu, Stephens and Ward-Prowse to fill in if injury/suspension crisis occurs. Which is far from ideal and leaves it open for another defensive crisis. Limits our attacking threat not having a natural attacking fullback so I think we need a 4th one.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Versatility for full back positions but with nobody young coming through that still would only give us 3 full back options. Injuries could see us stuffed and playing Stephens, Salisu or someone else out of position. I’d still like us to bring in another full back, especially as Perraud may not settle or KWP continues to pick up niggles as he did last season.

Hopefully a loan with an option if he is a success here.

hope it's a great success should it happen. Hope also that we can get a buy option. Hate to see him do well and then another club then buys him from under our noses a la Toby. Getting ahead of myself here though. As I have said before, he likes to bomb forward and looks very comfortable on the left side and willing to get to the byeline and ing a cross in or cut inside for a shot. No reason why he can't start ahead of Perraud. I agree with others that we should have four fullbacks. One injury and we are immediately stretched. Shame Valery and Vokins have not cut the mustard. 

10 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If Perraud and Williams turn out to be worse than Bertrand and er... nobody, then I'm giving up football to watch women's golf. Having some genuine wide options and not relying solely on KWP will be a breath of fresh air.

Yep. We were so bad down the left side that Ralph had to change us to hybrid back 3-4. Perraud will either sink or swim at this level, but he looks decent going forward and with the ball at his feet, and hopefully gives our team a different dimension. Williams gives options and good cover. Great bit of business of this comes off. 

5 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Can't be any worse than Neco Williams. Glad we've likely dodged that one with this one, plus this Williams has been a very long-term target, so has to be okay if we've sought him for this long, surely?

Elyounoussi was apparently a long-term target as well.

Just sayin'

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

Can't be any worse than Neco Williams. Glad we've likely dodged that one with this one, plus this Williams has been a very long-term target, so has to be okay if we've sought him for this long, surely?

Yeah Neco Williams looked all at sea playing for Wales, not disappointed in avoiding him at all.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Wonder if Williams will start as first choice left back given the commitment to game time also allowing Our new Frenchman time settle in, like we’ve done with Daillo and Salisu 

There's logic to that. United won't want him coming here to sit on the bench. 

If Perraud is as good going forward as has been suggested (dribbling & crossing), but not quite so good at defending (which I think I read) we could use Williams in the back four and use Perraud as a left winger instead of......dare I say it.....Redmond.  And then if either Brandon Williams or Perraud go forward......the other one covers. Bloody genius I tell you!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

If Perraud is as good going forward as has been suggested (dribbling & crossing), but not quite so good at defending (which I think I read) we could use Williams in the back four and use Perraud as a left winger instead of......dare I say it.....Redmond.  And then if either Brandon Williams or Perraud go forward......the other one covers. Bloody genius I tell you!

Or we are doing the same as goalkeeper and rotating every other match? 😉

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Elyounoussi was apparently a long-term target as well.

Just sayin'

Least Williams looked ok for Utd in the EPL. Mo came in from a far weaker league.

I think with Williams we won't be bringing in more fullbacks. Stephens & Salisu can both cover full backs if we lose two of our first teamers.

Edited by skintsaint

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Wonder if Williams will start as first choice left back given the commitment to game time also allowing Our new Frenchman time settle in, like we’ve done with Daillo and Salisu 

Surely not. A few on This forum have been banging on like he’s the new coming of Roberto Carlos and the answer to all our questions. 

18 minutes ago, Danbert said:

Looks an aggressive little shithouser from the video

He looks class from that video. A very good defender of the box. I can see why united don't want to sell him. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, SKD said:

Surely not. A few on This forum have been banging on like he’s the new coming of Roberto Carlos and the answer to all our questions. 

Hate it when people get behind our players...

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Hate it when people get behind our players...

Or how about we wait and see what he’s about and adapts, rather than wetting our pants over stats. 

It looks positive, but let’s wait and see. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SKD said:

Or how about we wait and see what he’s about and adapts, rather than wetting our pants over stats. 

It looks positive, but let’s wait and see. 

Positivity isn't "wetting our pants". He was in the L'equipes team of the season, excuse people for actually being excited and getting behind a player.

• Like 1

I don't understand the thinking of a loan as full back cover.

- If he hardly plays then he will get frustrated and probably not want to sign for us even if we want to get him permanently.

- If he does really well then it will be hard to sign him permanently and Utd will ask for more than we can afford.

- If there is no real view of us signing him permanently then why not get someone in who we can develop?

Would be very annoying if next summer we still need to sign full back cover, for about the 6th window in a row.

I also don't think we will sign a 4th full back and think they will consider Stephens, Diallo, Salisu could do a job if needed.

The primary attraction of Williams seems to be that he can play both sides which makes the above more likely.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Dusic said:

- If he hardly plays then he will get frustrated and probably not want to sign for us even if we want to get him permanently.

- If he does really well then it will be hard to sign him permanently and Utd will ask for more than we can afford.

- If there is no real view of us signing him permanently then why not get someone in who we can develop?

Would be very annoying if next summer we still need to sign full back cover, for about the 6th window in a row.

I also don't think we will sign a 4th full back and think they will consider Stephens, Diallo, Salisu could do a job if needed.

The primary attraction of Williams seems to be that he can play both sides which makes the above more likely.

How easy do you think it's going to be to get someone any good to come here as a permanent signing as a back up? You'll either end up with someone not arsed at the end of their career, a Cuco Martina type or some kid who would be a gamble. In Williams we've got a decent premier league player who has made 50 games for Man United, played in Europe and can play both sides. With our limited budget it makes perfect sense to bring in someone like this for a year with a loan fee than spend £5m on a journeyman. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The idea is, as Ings and Vest are likely to leave, we are requiring a massive rebuild this summer including a new starting LB, starting/backup CB, attacking mid, starting forward, two back up fullbacks, and a back up forward (a lot of fans would like a GK too but that's seeming less and less likely). That might take a lot of cash so if we can get a decent loan or two in to cover a couple of those roles (Brandon can cover both back up fullbacks) then we can spend the money more prudently on the bigger issues and deal with more minor issues like our back up fullbacks down the line when we don't have so much on our plate.

Edited by TWar

Underwhelmed at the idea of developing another side's youth talent without us having any chance of buying him, especially if the rumours of play time clauses etc. are true. I also don't think he's particularly good the times I've watched him, but then he has always played on the wrong side at United.

Still, better to have him than play Bednarek at RB again when KWP is injured!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

How easy do you think it's going to be to get someone any good to come here as a permanent signing as a back up? You'll either end up with someone not arsed at the end of their career, a Cuco Martina type or some kid who would be a gamble. In Williams we've got a decent premier league player who has made 50 games for Man United, played in Europe and can play both sides. With our limited budget it makes perfect sense to bring in someone like this for a year with a loan fee than spend £5m on a journeyman. /

don't mind the idea so much if it meant we get to see a goal like that one again. when was the last time somebody absolutely spanked it in like that? hojberg brighton?

15 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

There is surely no way he is actually on £65k a week?  That sort of money for a 3rd choice full-back is outrageous even by Man Utd's standards.

If it’s any consolation, he’s near the bottom of their top earners.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Lingard joined West Ham midway through a season on 29th January, Saints want Williams for the whole season.

Lingard is a fringe England international who nearly went to the Euros...Williams is still a rookie tbh.

• Like 4

On 07/07/2021 at 16:06, sambosa75 said:

There is surely no way he is actually on £65k a week?  That sort of money for a 3rd choice full-back is outrageous even by Man Utd's standards.

Put another way, his annual salary is £3.38million. Obscene.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2021 at 10:32, DT said:

Put another way, his annual salary is £3.38million. Obscene.

I think that this is the way that player earnings should be quoted. Saying that their wage is x amount per week is nigh on meaningless. It dates back to when people were paid weekly and a player's wage bore some connection to average wages. Who the heck is paid weekly these days. Annual salary is the way to go when discussing players' earnings

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, St_Tel49 said:

I think that this is the way that player earnings should be quoted. Saying that their wage is x amount per week is nigh on meaningless. It dates back to when people were paid weekly and a player's wage bore some connection to average wages. Who the heck is paid weekly these days. Annual salary is the way to go when discussing players' earnings

Surely quoting a weekly wage that is likely to be more than most people's annual salary has more meaning than quoting £xmillion which is beyond the reach and meaningless to the average football fan?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely quoting a weekly wage that is likely to be more than most people's annual salary has more meaning than quoting £xmillion which is beyond the reach and meaningless to the average football fan?

When I read £65k a week, I didn't think too much about it. When I read the £3.38m a year figure, it hit home just how much these young pros, yet to establish themselves are earning. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 18:52, Chez said:

When I read £65k a week, I didn't think too much about it. When I read the £3.38m a year figure, it hit home just how much these young pros, yet to establish themselves are earning. 

And as I've pointed out before, the media quoted weekly wages are usually what the player takes home after tax etc - presumably football works that way because of so many foreign players who move from country to country and want to know what they'll actually get, regardless of the local tax rules. 

So £65k a week actually equates to a salary well over £5 milion a year before tax etc.  Top players are on £10mill, £20mill, or even £30 million a year if the figures quoted for Kane at City are true.  And we wonder why clubs go bust!

On 15/07/2021 at 18:52, Chez said:

I just read somewhere Kane could get £350000 per week I think the Average Weekly Wage in the UK is about £600 so to earn £350000 the average person would have to work for approx 12 years 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Tone said:

And as I've pointed out before, the media quoted weekly wages are usually what the player takes home after tax etc - presumably football works that way because of so many foreign players who move from country to country and want to know what they'll actually get, regardless of the local tax rules. 

So £65k a week actually equates to a salary well over £5 milion a year before tax etc.  Top players are on £10mill, £20mill, or even £30 million a year if the figures quoted for Kane at City are true.  And we wonder why clubs go bust!

What's your source for this? Sounds like an urban myth. 

How would the net figure be known with any certainty? 

And you can work out average salary from club accounts reporting on salary mass, and it's not 40%+ higher than it should be (which it would be if all football wages noted were net of tax).

And what if the tax rate changes? The club has to gross up the salary to deliver the quoted net figure? Nah, that's bull.

So I reckon you're wrong, mush.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 1