Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

Just now, Saint Matty 76 said:

He seems to have fallen out with Tella so I'd be playing Elyounoussi and Redmond on the wings based on what we've seen so far.

Actually thought Elyounoussi played really well, even if it did take a bit of luck for his first goal to go in. There's no way Djenepo or Walcott should be anywhere near.

Fallen out with Tella? Truth or?

Djenepo "master-class" as usual I'm reading too.

Did McCarthy play well or is he still as shit as he was a week ago?

2 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

No points to add to the most points lost from a winning position league, come from behind twice, completely outplay opponents, 2 VAR decisions go in our favour (wasn't Dean on VAR duty?). Not sure how some people on here think it was predictable or that it was scripted 😂 Good result really but could/should have been better. 

Mike Dean said that was a genuine attempt at the ball no pen, ref to come and have a look. WTF. Tierney came to the monitor, thank goodness. 

And breathe.

With the emotions of the game now over. I’m encouraged by a lot of things Saints are doing but concerned about others.

We attack well but need to be better when we lose the ball. Both goals against came from us really going for it but then not being able to track back and regroup quickly enough. 

It’s a tough one because we want to get players into the box and attack but the lack of pace of Romeu and Stephens means they get caught between trying to tackle and trying to get back and good teams will punish us severely if we remain that open.

• Like 1

Djenepo two great opportunities wasted at this level you need to take those chances..... abysmal finishing... 

Salisu is a unit absolute rock really good at reading the game on another level to Stephens.. 

Livramento won't be with us for long he looks on another level technical ability wise. 

Both strikers were meh today We need a number 10 to link the play. 

Edited by ally_uk
more content
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ally_uk said:

Djenepo two great opportunities wasted at this level you need to take those chances..... abysmal finishing... 

Salisu is a unit absolute rock same as Romeu 

Livramento won't be with us for long he looks on another level technical ability wise. 

Both strikers were meh today We need a number 10 to link the play. 

Livramento will be even better once his stamina improves, which it will.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Fallen out with Tella? Truth or?

Djenepo "master-class" as usual I'm reading too.

Did McCarthy play well or is he still as shit as he was a week ago?

Nothing backing it but he's not had a minute so far has he? Seems strange from playing almost every match in preseason.

He didn't let in an absolute howler so it's progress. 

There was no way in a month of Sundays we deserved to lose that today, we did everything right in that first half in particular. Pressed, attacked, broke, got in behind. It was spot on tactically and Bruce was totally bamboozled.

Sadly we have Moussa in the team who is just not going to do it here, I don't see anything in there other than long legs that he doesn't even know what they're doing. He'd be a great 5 a side player, but I don't rate him.

Tino I thought was a bit selfish today? Held on the ball a little too long at times, but he still oozed class - especially first half. He does tire a bit as the game goes on, but that's to be expected for someone so young.

Elyonoussi, first half in particular, was popping up in some great positions. Yeah, he's slow as all hell but he was clever in his movement today and that created some openings.

Adams and Armstrong didn't really work today, Adams bustled around a bit but lacked any refinement in his game. Armstrong made some runs, but seemed to be outside of the box too much. 

Once Newcastle regrouped, as they were always going to do, we struggled - especially in midfield. Romeu was awful in position as well as positionally I felt, there was too much space in there and it allowed Newcastle to break on us - the gaps between the lines were too large. 

Overall, we deserved something from the game without doubt. Lots of promising play - Elyonoussi, Tino in particular. Need more from Adams and Armstrong in away games like that.

I think we've got something about us, definitely a vibe and verve about how we play. We just need to start taking the opportunities when we are on top.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Mike Dean said that was a genuine attempt at the ball no pen, ref to come and have a look. WTF. Tierney came to the monitor, thank goodness. 

No, genuine attempt means no red. Dean sent him to look at it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Mike Dean fucking cheat against us as usual. He called that a fair attempt to get the ball so no penalty. Good job the ref wasn't a cheat as well. High time Dean was asked to explain his bias against us.

Think Dean was saying it was a fair attempt to get the ball, no red, not that he was saying it was no penalty.

I think the lesson from today is to not get over confident in possession and over commit down the flanks against a strong counter attacking team. One lucky pass through or over midfield and we permit ourselves to be left 2 on 2, and forwards like ASM are always likely to out pace central defenders. ( Though Salisu seemed to match him most of the time ).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We will score always, but we are not good enough to avoid conceding as long as we play this style and with this goalkeeper.

I don't see anything wrong with the goalkeeper today? That wasn't the problem today.

Moussa in particular for the first went walkies and left KWP to do all the defending. Salisu should have probably done better.

2nd goal was a blatant break, they out numbered us and we were caught high. That's why we concede goals and why we always will, we play high and we press from the front. It's risky and there are rewards if the forward players take their chances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Sounds spoiled but we should have won that comfortably. The fact we had 2.7 -0.7 xG and didn't win is a testament to both very mediocre goalkeeping and Djenepo not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.

I get people don't like Mccarthy but what is he supposed to do from a header in the middle of the 6 yard box and a rebound in the 6 yard box. He made a couple of decent saves, its on the rest of the team to be shutting those chances down earlier.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Least we deserved but Jesus christ those two goals we conceded were soft as fuck, just like the 3 Everton goals and Utd goal last weekend. Ralph doesn't know how to stop this team leaking goals. It isn't good enough defensively, nowhere near. 

Ralph is not a good enough defensive coach to play two up front. 
Defensively we have not improved at all under Ralph…

We need the extra man defensively.

2 points dropped and 1 point gained all at the same time. Probably a game we'd have been targeting 3 points for but, given our poor record at St James Park, maybe we should be grateful for the point, especially with the need for a very late equaliser. More work to integrate the new boys over the international weekend and hopefully we can keep improving. Good to see Moi on the scoresheet and making a positive contribution now he's back. Long may that continue.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

In seriousness.  We never ever deserved to lose that.  We do remain soft as shit and it will ensure we remain bottom 6 for much of the season.

Amazing . 2 and a half matches ago you reckoned that we were destined for relegation. Now we are in the bottom 6. At this rate we will be top by Christmas.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

We have to cut out giving the ball away so cheaply when we are attacking. Both Newcastle goals came from breaks after we had been attacking and then needlessly given away possession.

Yep.

#1 surging run by Romeu who couldn’t decide what to do, shot blocked but no one was covering for him and Newcastle broke. JWP should have won the ball but shirked a 60/40.

#2 Diallo ended up wide on the right, tried a pass into the box, straight to them, break and again no one switched on enough to notice a DCM is out of position and to go cover the break.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy_D said:

Feels like this team and tactics has a chance of just clicking at some point and sending us on a pretty decent run of results.

I’m certainly more optimistic for our season than Newcastle’s. They look like they’re reliant on teams like us throwing points at them, rather than ever actually outplaying someone.

I also don't think McCarthy did anything wrong today either. Not his biggest fan at all but he was ok today.

Salisu excellent. Adams and Armstrong didn't really work today, I think AA shoots a bit too much. Romeu and JWP had off days, except that superb penalty so fair play. Moi too was hit and miss, some nice positions and play, some not so.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I’m certainly more optimistic for our season than Newcastle’s. They look like they’re reliant on teams like us throwing points at them, rather than ever actually outplaying someone.

Agreed. Seems strange to say after a game where we've gone behind twice and just managed to nick a draw, but I'd be amazed if Newcastle manage to stay up this season from what I've seen of them so far.

Just now, Jimmy_D said:

Agreed. Seems strange to say after a game where we've gone behind twice and just managed to nick a draw, but I'd be amazed if Newcastle manage to stay up this season from what I've seen of them so far.

They'll be absolutely fine, they'll probably be in and around it, but players like Saint-Maximin and Wilson will ensure they do enough at the other end to keep their heads above. They're the sort of players who can nick you a goal when you're not even in the game, as we saw today. Priceless players.

Thoroughly deserved a point, but should’ve been out of sight by half time - we’ve got to take our chances. Thought Adams, Djenepo and Romeu had poor games today. Armstrong looked desperate to score against his old side.

Really can’t get my head round people having a go at McCarthy today, nothing he could’ve done about either goals - that’s on Ralph for playing suicidal football in the 90th min away from home.

not a fan of Redmond on the whole but give him credit he looked lively when he came on. Elyounoussi looked decent with Tino on the right. Only thing I’d say about Tino is he seems to be shagged after 70 mins each time so maybe we need to freshen things up there near the end 

• Like 2

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Can anyone explain to me what that means? I can guess but I’m not to sure.

XG looks at all the chances by both teams and judges how many they'd normally expect to score based on how good the chances were.

Deserved at least the point. Showed some fight and determination throughout which was good to see.

Redmond excellent when he came on. Nice to see Mo score too. Djenepo just cracks me up, such a funny player. That miss really was hilarious.

Newcastle are pretty crap, they really only have one player who just happens to be very good. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They'll be absolutely fine, they'll probably be in and around it, but players like Saint-Maximin and Wilson will ensure they do enough at the other end to keep their heads above. They're the sort of players who can nick you a goal when you're not even in the game, as we saw today. Priceless players.

I'm amazed one of the so called bigger clubs hasn't offered a big wad of cash for Saint Maximin. Arsenal have blown close to 100M on bang average CB & Gk for instance.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1