Newcastle 2-2 Saints - Match Thread

Saint Matty 76

Just now, Badger said:

Bit of a recurring theme with us though

Not so much the first half of last season! Or the second half of the season before.

Getting the draws against Man Utd and Newcastle shows we might be getting a bit more grit to keep hold of results as well.

Stuart Armstrong coming back into midfield will probably help a bit in terms of keeping control of midfield as well, once he recovers from injury.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

We can't afford to have players that won't pull the trigger. Djenepo needs to be dropped.

He's looked quite lively so far this season but I agree, you can't be starting if you're not confident enough to take a shot there, 'wrong' foot or not.

Edited by niceandfriendly

Well that was an emotional roller coaster for 1 point. We were brilliant first half - best 30-35 minutes I think I've seen us play - beautiful football with everything but the finish. Djnepo had to score of course. Of course we've all seen this movie and yet again we conspire to concede early in the second half - unbelievable how often that happens. 

Can't fault Ralph. He put out the team most of us wanted and made substitutions early. Salisu MOTM. Livramento a star, no question. JWP I thought had a terrible game, forgiven by the penalty at the end but otherwise ponderous and guilty of the giveaway that led to the first goal. Don't understand the negativity around Armstrong - I like to see strikers shooting on sight and it wasn't that he missed an obvious pass. McCarthy had a good game for all the stick I normally give him.

That might just turn out to be a very important draw psychologically.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Ah ok cool. Then it’s a very useful stat IMO. Far better than shots on because you could have a few scuffers count as on when they were never gong in and the other team hit a post or two.

Exactly - the team who had 6 shots on target from 40 yards each because they were out of ideas, probably didn’t deserve to win the game over the team that has 0 shots on target because their striker missed an open goal from a yard out. But shots on target stats would say it was 6-0 to the team taking potshots. xG gives more context rather than just raw numbers.

• Like 1

I feel that all 3 games have been enjoyable to watch from a Saints perspective. We’re at least trying to move the ball and score. Yes we’ve conceded a few poor goals (perhaps due to attacking in numbers, perhaps not). 

Last season after the Liverpool win I felt we didn’t have that belief and were very ponderous and still gave up some shocking goals.

Hopefully we can get a win on the board soon. It’s about time we caught WHU on a bad day.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 4

Pleased with the point but whilst we are wasteful in front of goal and sloppy at times at the back we're always going to struggle to win games , frustrating. 

Was always going to be a tough start with West Ham and Man City up next can't expect much, perhaps one point, when will the first league win come? 

44 minutes ago, captainchris said:

This game was typical Ralph.

Too many players too far advanced. This happens time after time after time… Ralph has shown he is incapable of addressing this simple issue.

Two players up front who are marked and the rest of the team ending up too far forward to try and get the ball to them. We need one up front and control midfield ensuring there is always cover (something Ralph is obviously oblivious to) 

Sorry but Ralph’s coaching is seriously limited. We continue to demonstrate identical mistakes game after game, year after year.

We are turning the corner on recruitment, however not sure that Ralph is advancing at all….

but to be fair on that observation bambi on ice should have had 2 in the first half and the game was over. Newcastle are poorer than us thats for sure, and we just

seem to loose concentration at the wrong times putting ourselves under pressure.

We paid the price for not being clinical when we were so on top we were embarrassing them. Not sure why we can't get through the first ten or so minutes after half time without conceding a goal - that needs to be addressed. We have to take more care of the ball when attacking because we are so easy to break against when we give away soft possession. McCarthy did nothing wrong today so no blame on him. Positives were that we played some super football in the first half although the killer ball was largely lacking, plus the fact that heads didn't drop after we went 2-1 down and credit to Redmond for a slide rule pass to get Armstrong through leading to the penalty.  Salisu is getting better and better and, if Lyanco is any good, they might make a very good partnership at the heart of the defence and the latter will certainly give us more options with his skill on the ball and passing range.

• Like 2

That was two points dropped today because of gross stupidity on the part of several individuals. Ralph - Picking Djenepo was an act of faith that backfired. Appalling in front of goal, Give him a ball and let him kick it around in the road, Redmond, Armstrong and Brouja are better.

Stephens strolling forward out of defence leaving a big gap. All he has to do is play Livramento early and hold his defensive cover with Salisu. Dropped us and Salisu in it multiple times, Somebody needs to tell the idiot that he is part of the problem and not VVD. 

Diallo bursting out of midfield and losing the ball. Romeu for all his good work spoilt it by losing the ball time after time in advanced position leaving the back two / one vulnerable to the long ball. Like Stephens the defensive midfielders need to pass it forward and be disciplined and hold their positions shutting down any potential break.  

Elyanoussi showed awareness, clever control and did well to get on the end of Redmond's cross. Brouja looks like a player that plays around the box unlike Adams who despite covering the hard yards threatened little.

McCarthy had a better game. Still two close in goals conceded.

We should have won that but I think the team will evolve with maybe three or four of last weeks team v MU dropping down.

Edited by derry
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I’m no Doctor, but I’d go see one about that last word syndrome you have. 

Oh the ironing. Also why would you see a doctor about an issue that somebody else has? That's odd, but I suppose Docs are used to dealing with all sorts.

Edited by niceandfriendly

2 minutes ago, Hamilton Saint said:

During the radio commentary Adam Blackmore was talking about Ralph sending a message onto the pitch at about 75 minutes, via a small piece of paper. It got sent in turn to Walker-Peters, Salisu, and Romeu.

I am curious; did anybody find out what that was all about?!

It probably said read the match thread on here and how embarrassing some of our ‘fans’ are.

Have a read through it’s gut wrenching how some come out with this shit Ralph in Bruce’s pocket!!

• Like 5

I thought that was an excellent game of football. End to end stuff and Saints should have won it but a point away will always do. Salisu my pick he was immense.

There is no mystery to why Saints concede in the 2nd half so often. The midfield and FBs play so far up the field that as they tire the defence is over exposed, with usually just two of them back there. In the PL you are going to have the likes of bleeding Ronaldo running at you with two whippets in support. It is inevitable that goals will be conceded. Am I being too optimistic in hoping they'll address this issue.

As others have observed Tino is an awesome talent, but he is an 18 yo lad who was playing his second game in a week. KWP could have easily taken his place after 60 mins with Perraud. It is all very well having talented youngsters but you need to look after them.

Next 3 games look ghastly but need to get them over and done with.

Edited by macca155
  • Like 6

Just now, Give it to Ron said:

It probably said read the match thread on here and how embarrassing some of our ‘fans’ are.

Have a read through it’s gut wrenching how some come out with this shit Ralph in Bruce’s pocket!!

Yeah, those comments were ridiculous. Ralph had Bruce's number all game, he tactically outdone him. We were just let down by our finishing in the main, simple as that.

But tactically Bruce was nowhere near.

I do wonder why players like Allan Saint Maximin, Adama Traore and other rapid players like that look amazing against us, yet over the season their underlying stats against other teams are largely average.

Or maybe they are just 1 in 5 games type players and it always seems to be against us.

Feeling pretty positive.

Last season we'd have conceded 4 in the second half. We're showing more resilience and fight.

Enjoyed the game. But for some dodgy finishing JennyPo gets a couple; but for a good save from Macca we concede another.

Good entertainment, and we're making progress.

Fans sounded great too.

21 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I do wonder why players like Allan Saint Maximin, Adama Traore and other rapid players like that look amazing against us, yet over the season their underlying stats against other teams are largely average.

Or maybe they are just 1 in 5 games type players and it always seems to be against us.

Largely because, apart from Romeu, we have players in the middle of the park who can't tackle so these type of opponents are allowed to get up a head of steam which is when they are dangerous. Also, we constantly give the ball away cheaply when high up the pitch leaving us exposed to the long punt over the top.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Feeling pretty positive.

Last season we'd have conceded 4 in the second half. We're showing more resilience and fight.

Enjoyed the game. But for some dodgy finishing JennyPo gets a couple; but for a good save from Macca we concede another.

Good entertainment, and we're making progress.

Fans sounded great too.

McCarthys stop was referred to on the clubs twitter as a brilliant reaction save, but to be honest it was a good height and 9/10 keepers arent beaten by that header at their front post. 

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Let me put this another way for the blind folks. We do not coach players to

kick with both feet. Try watching games in more depth and without blinkers on. 

I would like to know how often you are at Staplewood watching as we coach and train our players. 

We played Everton away..we never get a point there..we didn’t..we played Man U at home..they’ve got a weekly wage bill that dwarves ours..got a point..we played Newcastle away..we haven’t got anything there for a few years..got another point..I’ll take that  so far.

• Like 2

Good performance undone by lack of concentration in places. Before the game a point would have been a good outcome, should have won it though, almost lost it, got the deserved point - credit JWP for a cool head under pressure with the pen. 
still conceding too many goals - 6 in 3 games now, we haven’t solved the too easy to score against problem yet…

6 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

We played Everton away..we never get a point there..we didn’t..we played Man U at home..they’ve got a weekly wage bill that dwarves ours..got a point..we played Newcastle away..we haven’t got anything there for a few years..got another point..I’ll take that  so far.

The other way of looking at it is we threw the game Away against Everton, missed a decent chance to beat Man United and threw the game away again today. Arguably we should have won all 3 this season 

• Like 1

Big thumbs up to Ely. Not been a fan previously as he tended to hide in games, however he looked excellent pre season and deserves some recognition for definitely upping his game….He has lots of natural ability and can be a significant player for us if he keeps up the involvement and presence in games.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

It's all rubbish. Just watch the game. I guess anyone born after 2000 would appreciate XG, anyone else can just ignore it. 

I've been watching football since the 70s and I appreciate it. 

Clearly not one you consider during the game but provides interesting insight afterwards. 

3 hours ago, captainchris said:

Let me put this another way for the blind folks. We do not coach players to

kick with both feet. Try watching games in more depth and without blinkers on. 

Eh? All professional football clubs train their players to use both feet, watch any video of a training session and you'll see ball work where they need to control and pass with both feet or shooting drills with their wrong foot, but there will always be players who are just very one footed.  They will have some level of competence to control with both feet and do simple passes with their weak foot, but often shooting people will always try to use their strongest foot wherever possible, you see this at all levels of football. 

But then Djenepo is right footed, its not his weak foot that was the issue it was his confidence in front of goal, he missed a sitter from a yard and then the next chance we he should just be shooting on his strongest foot he for some reason decided to cut back into the defenders. He needs a goal basically. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

The other way of looking at it is we threw the game Away against Everton, missed a decent chance to beat Man United and threw the game away again today. Arguably we should have won all 3 this season 

Oh no.please not you.

Edited by wadesmith

Djenepo shouldn't be starting games. He's a sub that you bring on for the last 15-20 mins. Redmond has to start in that position for our next game. Walcott's just another sub. Moi looking like a vastly improved player and decent cover for S. Armstrong, who I can't wait to see back in the first team. We look much better when he plays. At least our strongest 11 seems to be taking shape now. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SaintTex said:

more like Norwich is unlucky starting the season with Liverpool, City, and Leicester.

Have a look at Norwich's second goal against Leicester which was chalked off. A beautifully headed ball into the corner of the goal which the keeper had no chance of saving. For the life of me can't see why it was disallowed. VAR and the ref showing big club bias?

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Djenepo shouldn't be starting games. He's a sub that you bring on for the last 15-20 mins. Redmond has to start in that position for our next game. Walcott's just another sub. Moi looking like a vastly improved player and decent cover for S. Armstrong, who I can't wait to see back in the first team. We look much better when he plays. At least our strongest 11 seems to be taking shape now. 

Disagree. Djenepo should start and Redmond should come on as a sub as happened today. Djenepo was unlucky with the sitter and wasn't far away with the curler. He was dangerous in the first half. Redmond is better as an impact sub and should start only against lower tier opposition.

1 hour ago, Singapore Saint said:

Disagree. Djenepo should start and Redmond should come on as a sub as happened today. Djenepo was unlucky with the sitter and wasn't far away with the curler. He was dangerous in the first half. Redmond is better as an impact sub and should start only against lower tier opposition.

Could be one of those where he just needs the one goal to boost confidence and he could go on a run. I do like the way he's been playing this season, just his finishing has been infuriating so far.

2 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

I get the impression that Djenepo starts as Ralph prefers his left back covering.

He tried KWP as left back today and probably felt it might of been a gamble in doing so.

IMHO when Ralph realised that it’s better to put both Tino and KWP on the same right flank we will be flying again. He just needs to find the correct combo on the left and it might just involve S Armstrong.

Shame about the clearance pass off the post straight to their forward for the Newcastle second goal. Was that Livramento? Should have either been blasted out or passed to a Saints player. On such moments the match turns. Well done to Saints for keeping on fighting to the end when tired heads could have dropped.

66% possession and 11 shots without scoring in the first half was more down to the panic Toon defending than simply

blaming Djenepo for missing when so close in, and on another day we might easily have gone in 2 or 3 goals up.

Yet another instance of our all-out attack in the first 45 , not being able to keep it going into the second half.

Good performances from Livramento that auger well for the future.  Despite conceding two goals , both Stephens

and Salisu look to be forming a good CB partnership,  and Walker Peters didn't look out of place at LB. 

After his two season sojourn at Celtic,  Elyounoussi  has earned  his place in the start line-up and we may finally

be on the way to getting our money's worth on his deal.  Huge disappointment conceding second goal after 91 mins.  

but although not scoring, Adam Armstrong contributed to the result through sheer determination and it was left to

" Super-Prowsey "  to  do the business and get us a well-earned point.