Salisu

Saint Garrett

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Not seen that. Tell me more. Where and when? 

I guess if you are not being picked, as he hasn't been, by and large, by all three managers, then it's understandable you'd be looking at other options going forward. I see your point though. The optics are not great. However, if he has been putting the effort in in training, and doing his job and being professional, there is nothing for Selles (or anyone else) to call him out about. He's perfectly entitled to go on holiday. So long as he hasn't gone AWOL.

Judging by his wife's Instagram she was in Spain for a couple of weeks and then he was there at least on 27th March in Seville because there's a picture with him in.

I checked to see if he had an account, which I couldn't see, but hers was the top result so had a look through recent photos, and then some older ones because she's fit.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Refusing to sign a contract extension so being frozen out ahead of summer sale. Think he claimed an injury after the international break which the management doubted, which proved the final nail in his particular coffin.

If the rumours are true then he's an absolute dick. Bordering on acting like a mini VVD, only with about 50% less talent.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Refusing to sign a contract extension so being frozen out ahead of summer sale. Think he claimed an injury after the international break which the management doubted, which proved the final nail in his particular coffin.

There's lots of players refusing to sign new contracts and still playing and other players who have moves lined up (one of which has taken Salisu's place in the squad) so I imagine that the contract thing is the very start of the issue and the injury thing sounds plausible. 

7 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

There's lots of players refusing to sign new contracts and still playing and other players who have moves lined up (one of which has taken Salisu's place in the squad) so I imagine that the contract thing is the very start of the issue and the injury thing sounds plausible. 

Perhaps the other players are still putting it in, whilst this bloke milks his “injury”. 

9 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps the other players are still putting it in, whilst this bloke milks his “injury”. 

This blows my trumpet. 

There’s nothing worse than working with some slag that thinks she’s too good or can’t be arsed to pull her weight. 

Thats on top of taking an eternity to actually play for us after she signed. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

And if such players want a better move then they should put on a good showing of themselves.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's kind of odd that he's going to end his time here in the same peculiar way as he started his time here. AWOL with no detail on where he is.

Yeah we spent fucking ages helping him settle in and now just as long settle out, hope we've already agreed a decent price with someone and get rid nice and early 

• Like 2

Deleted all Instagram posts, which is the modern player's way of announcing they're transferring from one club to another, if there was any doubt. Seemed a bit of a prat on social media anyway, posing for pictures and showing off his riches like some egotistical Lemina.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

Commitment sounds all wrong. Get rid. Want him out early, but how much more will we get than the £11m we paid for him? His stock was high 18 months ago but it must have gone down over the last few months. Reckon HarvSFC;s assessment is spot on with this kid. Too rich too quick.

How do you think he felt when Bednarek gets recalled to replace him?

11 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

he missed the international games due to injury, so the injury could have been genuine, but he has obviously got a move sorted and his head is already there.  

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Dam shame we didn't sell him to Newcastle when we had the chance. I suspect we'll get buttons this summer in comparison

We should have offered him a contract extension and £100k plus a week surely?

We'd be in the Champions League by now and no mistake 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Clearly thinks he’s been done over by the club. Don’t like that attitude at all, but clearly something has gone on in the background that we don’t know about. I’ll try and see if my contact at staplewood knows anything about it. 

Clearly always been something up with him, was there ever any proper transparency about why he was locked away for so long after he joined?

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

Clearly thinks he’s been done over by the club. Don’t like that attitude at all, but clearly something has gone on in the background that we don’t know about. I’ll try and see if my contact at staplewood knows anything about it. 

Someone on here said he wasn't refusing to play; it was the club's decision not to play him, and contract related.

He's on 68 appearances. Could he be due a bonus or pay bump at 70 or 75 perhaps, and the club have decided to save a few pennies as he's off in the summer anyway.

Just idle speculation. Good luck to him. Might not have been all we hoped he was going to be, but at his best his commitment to blocking shots with any available body part was a thing of masochistic beauty.

It's hard not to draw parallels between him and Lemina. I can see why the club signed him, and he's clearly really talented. But attitude will most likely hold him back. He's had some monstrous matches for us like against Man City, but the big clubs aren't gonna sign you on the back of a few excellent performances. If you look at his entire time here, he's maybe had 3 months of consistent performances. No big club is gonna sign him on the back of that. VVD spent far longer putting in monstrous performances for us, Lovren had an entire season, Alderweirald consistent as well. Salisu is just flashes. Will probably end up somewhere like West Ham 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Someone on here said he wasn't refusing to play; it was the club's decision not to play him, and contract related.

He's on 68 appearances. Could he be due a bonus or pay bump at 70 or 75 perhaps, and the club have decided to save a few pennies as he's off in the summer anyway.

Just idle speculation. Good luck to him. Might not have been all we hoped he was going to be, but at his best his commitment to blocking shots with any available body part was a thing of masochistic beauty.

If true and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was, then that’s an absolute disgrace. 

He’s a decent defender. Nothing special, middle of the road PL cb. 

I’ll Wish him well if and when he moves on. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

It's hard not to draw parallels between him and Lemina. I can see why the club signed him, and he's clearly really talented. But attitude will most likely hold him back. He's had some monstrous matches for us like against Man City, but the big clubs aren't gonna sign you on the back of a few excellent performances. If you look at his entire time here, he's maybe had 3 months of consistent performances. No big club is gonna sign him on the back of that. VVD spent far longer putting in monstrous performances for us, Lovren had an entire season, Alderweirald consistent as well. Salisu is just flashes. Will probably end up somewhere like West Ham 

Salisu has the raw ingredients to be a top defender but he has far too many brain fart moments. I think he will end up back in Spain or even take the money in the KSA league. I don't necessarily think he has that burning desire to be the best he can be. I seem to recall he was extremely shy when he moved to saints and took him ages to settle. Wasn't it many months later he did his first media interview for the club? 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He and ABK could have been something special in different circumstances, talented and complimentary.  

Agree. I think they will both go on to be top drawer CBs.   Salisu was mucked around by being asked to fill in at LB so much and ABK obviously held back by injury.   Both capable of playing well in top level Clubs.   ABK surely to the Bundesliga and Salisu to La Liga.

• Like 1

I don’t think he’s refused to play. I think it’s the club/managers decision not to play him.

Maybe he’s said he’s sees his future elsewhere, and who could blame him. That’s the impression I get - but then you have to look at the likes of Elyounoussi who Selles cradles like a long lost child.

I think Salisu wants to play but won’t be selected by Selles. Gut feeling. I’d be pissed off too. But I wouldn’t go about it that way.

From what I gather when he first joined there was a lot of homesickness and he initially struggled to settle. So he made appearances in the B team and that along with a couple of niggling injuries knocked him back until the later part of the season.

I think his injury will magically disappear when he joins his new club, the one he signed for verbally months ago. Just like a lot of them. Mercenaries, who don't give a toss. Just looking for the next club. Same happening at Leicester. Big problem for lower table small to medium sized clubs. Billy big boots players with agents who won't put it in too much in case they get injured (looking at you, JWP) and mess up their big move. Convinced Salisu and his agent are off to Newcastle or somewhere, and thus is refusing to play. Wish there were journalists who would at least ask the question. All we get is silence from the club and soft journos tickliing their tummy. Pathetic.

Have long felt that one of our biggest problems this year has been 'bad eggs' stinking out the place. People like Che (just a suspicion), and mouthy ones in the dressing room disturbing the peace and shredding morale. Hence why Selles played the nice, safe boys like Elyanoussi and Walcott. Selles couldn't stand up to them, so they walked all over him and he resorted to the Ralph-esque tendancy of just shrugging and picking his mates. We need the opposite. Someone with a clear vision and takes no shit. Hope the board pick someone like that, not another Euro-yes man or 'name' player tinkering in management.

Salisu came in looking like a player with the right ingredients who had the ability to improve and become a more complete CB. However our coaching team seem to have the knack of making players look worse over time, I think that is where things went wrong. Please remember that those players that he was compared against VvD, Loveren and Alderweirald all came in a little older and having played at decent level prior to joining us and clearly having already some credentials. Those kind of players are now cut off from available so we have to go a little younger to get a chance that means 19 y/o attackers and midfielders and 21-22 y/o defenders.

I think Salisu had his career hampered by us. Maybe it was better for his future not to be seen playing in a relegation side.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DT said:

I think his injury will magically disappear when he joins his new club, the one he signed for verbally months ago. Just like a lot of them. Mercenaries, who don't give a toss. Just looking for the next club. Same happening at Leicester. Big problem for lower table small to medium sized clubs. Billy big boots players with agents who won't put it in too much in case they get injured (looking at you, JWP) and mess up their big move. Convinced Salisu and his agent are off to Newcastle or somewhere, and thus is refusing to play. Wish there were journalists who would at least ask the question. All we get is silence from the club and soft journos tickliing their tummy. Pathetic.

Have long felt that one of our biggest problems this year has been 'bad eggs' stinking out the place. People like Che (just a suspicion), and mouthy ones in the dressing room disturbing the peace and shredding morale. Hence why Selles played the nice, safe boys like Elyanoussi and Walcott. Selles couldn't stand up to them, so they walked all over him and he resorted to the Ralph-esque tendancy of just shrugging and picking his mates. We need the opposite. Someone with a clear vision and takes no shit. Hope the board pick someone like that, not another Euro-yes man or 'name' player tinkering in management.

that's some take. No idea why you think JWP has not been giving his all. Has he not been be working hard enough or putting his body on the line?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Chez said:

that's some take. No idea why you think JWP has not been giving his all. Has he not been be working hard enough or putting his body on the line?

Sorry. Got carried away. Just so angry about it all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DT said:

He played the likes of Moi and Walcott because they knew the triggers in Ralph’s 4222, and because Moi is reliable defensively over the others. No other reason. 

Your take on JWP couldn’t be further from the truth, 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dman said:

If true and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was, then that’s an absolute disgrace. 

He’s a decent defender. Nothing special, middle of the road PL cb. 

I’ll Wish him well if and when he moves on. 

Agree, and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the club because Saints have a long history of that sort of thing, right back to no longer selecting Alan McLaughlin because of a final instalment clause allegedly due to Swindon. Mind you, they’d already messed him up by playing the poor bloke out of position. 

With Salisu, he’s a very decent one on one defender but his distribution will always be slightly short of the very top level in my view. Has many of the materials there but in a decent team that moves the ball a lot quicker, you’d see some dangerous mistakes. At his next club that can be improved but as Wenger used to say, you can improve certain aspects but not the core ball skill or raw pace. He’s quick for a CB which will attract Europa League level sides but he’d have to really evolve with ball at his feet for CL. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The JWP hatred/dislike is getting a bit ridiculous now. It’s hilarious to read.

Yes he’s not been world class but he has still be one of our stand out players for other reasons, alongside the likes of Lavia and dare I say it Bednarek.

Hatred? Really?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yes he’s not been world class but he has still be one of our stand out players for other reasons, alongside the likes of Lavia and dare I say it Bednarek.

Streets are cold dog GTA .gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

it’s not hatred per say, it’s that we know he can do better than what he’s produced this season. 

Everyone can moan at the completely terrible players but did anyone really expect anything from AA, Diallo?

Edited by SotonianWill

16 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Agree, and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the club because Saints have a long history of that sort of thing, right back to no longer selecting Alan McLaughlin because of a final instalment clause allegedly due to Swindon. Mind you, they’d already messed him up by playing the poor bloke out of position. 

With Salisu, he’s a very decent one on one defender but his distribution will always be slightly short of the very top level in my view. Has many of the materials there but in a decent team that moves the ball a lot quicker, you’d see some dangerous mistakes. At his next club that can be improved but as Wenger used to say, you can improve certain aspects but not the core ball skill or raw pace. He’s quick for a CB which will attract Europa League level sides but he’d have to really evolve with ball at his feet for CL. 

Agreed he isn’t a bad defender, he has many good qualities. For the Championship we may need a tougher presence alongside Bednarek. Lyanco possibly for the Haka he produces every game to inflict fear into opponents or Cooper (Mil) Dickie (Qpr) Worall (won’t join us now but that type of defender) 

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not as good as Che's statement, this one feels much more PR/generic.

Written by his media team imo . That really doesn’t sound like it’s come from someone writing in their second language.