Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread

whelk

Broja's fooked. Good job Ralph - That will help keep his price / the interest down for the summer.

Glad to have the win, but two injuries, one massive for us. And needlessly tired legs for 2 big games. Poor from Ralph today.

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Pfffftttttt.... a hard watch at times that. Obviously great to get through but made hard work of it. Coventry played very well and caused problems on the counter and defended resolutely denying space, especially first half.

One of those games we typically lose tbh so to win - albeit in ET and possibly with Broja injured at a considerable cost - is a bonus.

Edited by jasonb

1 minute ago, LGTL said:

Into the next round, all you can ask for I guess after that starting line up.

I would suggest what else you can ask for is fielding a decent team to start with. Ralph got away with that but we went to extra time so did it really achieve what he was trying to do?

As much as I like him, Ralph dropped a lot of notches with me today. This competition is our only hope this year, and the formula has been known for 100+ years:

Complacency + Arrogance = Upset

He really needs to reign it in before people run out of patience with it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Two good bits of skill to get us the points. At the end, Coventry were coming forward and Long, Armstrong and Redmond looked to control it. But no excuses for the 5 mins before that, when in the lead gifting opportunities for Coventry to equalise. Good 'keeping and an offside kept us in the lead.

I didn;t see the first half, so can;t say if Saints played with more intensity. They seemed to lack drive even when 1 down. Some things to learn form this one, but got there in the end. Yay!

Long's attacking skills are seriously lacking these days, but there aren't many better players than him at defending from the front. His ridiculous tenacity actually made us three or four half decent chances today by forcing the keeper or defenders into rushed mistakes. He gives us so much more than Walcott.

• Like 5

That's as lucky a win as I can remember for Saints.  In Ralph's defense, the many changes were accompanied by a stellar bench. there was always the likelihood we could bolster our way through.  The Lyanco injury was really unlucky and made us v vulnerable. So in the end we needed a lot more luck than anyone would have wished.

So disappointing to see a poor perf from Small. And Redmond was pretty terrible today. He's responsible for about 40% of the times Saints hand over possession.  But Stu Armstrong and KWP pure quality. Wonderful to see tino back. And it's nice to know we have a great backup keeper.  Whew.

• Like 2

Hats off to Coventry, were probably better than us,  and gave it a right good go.  We totally underestimated their quality and very nearly paid the price.  Lots of lessons to be learned today,  not least,  respect the opposition at all times.  Luckily got out of jail today. 

What to make of that? Got the W, so that's the main thing. But at the cost of injuries to Lyanco (hamstring), possibly Livramento (seemed to have a problem with his side/ribs) and Broja (knee).

Horrible performance, generally speaking, and the likes of Walcott, Long and Adam Armstrong aren't good enough to play for us. Or shouldn't be.

Tough debut for the kid, Small. Didn't like his work rate off the ball - too often jogged/walked back into position - but he was actually growing into the game a bit towards the end of the half when he got hooked. All good experience at 17, though.

We need some creative players in the summer. What we've got on the books is garbage.

Bloody hell. That was stressful. Firstly fair play to Coventry, their players gave that everything. Whilst we obviously have a little bit more quality, we could have had no complaints if they dumped us out. If I were a Coventry fan, I would be a little bit disappointed not to progress. We were absolutely there for the taking.

I still have no f**king idea why we started so many reserves when we are 10 points clear of relegation, with a number of really dreadful sides near the bottom. If we go down this season, it won't be because we lose the next few games, it'll be because we absolutely collapse in the dozen that follow. Ask any fan would they prefer 13th instead of 15th in the table, or a long deep cup run where the players give it everything. As it is, our players are probably more exhausted from today.

Still, we are through so hopefully lessons learned. We certainly have learned some things about some of our reserve players! Two bits of quality saved our asses.

1 minute ago, eurosaint said:

End justifies the means !

All that matters in the cup is that you progress to the next round 💪

bring on the big boys….

If Broja and Lyanco are out long term it really doesn't justify that spectacular error of a team selection.

Plus we will be knackered for 2 tough games in a week.

Ralph had a mare today.

• Like 1

We are through by the skin of our teeth which is the main thing. However, Ralph got that completely wrong and, instead of what should have been a comfortable afternoon against a poor side, we've had to slog through an extra 30 minutes with players having to risk injury in order to rescue the game. It needn't and shouldn't have been that way. Coventry are not great but Ralph decided to field a side that was not even the equal of theirs and boy did it show. I'd hope it's a lesson learned but we know Ralph has this stubborn streak in him when he can't resist pressing the self destruct button. He got away with it today but that game could have gone either way. A strong starting line up and we'd have breezed through that and been able to conserve energy. Stuart Armstrong hit a worldie when we didn't look like we had a clue how to break them down and that saved the boss a bigger embarrassment. 

Edited by Teddeer
  • Like 1

Cov were very unlucky not to win that game. But for a screamer from Armstrong we'd of been out. Glad to get through, but making lots of changes, combined with lessor players coming in will always make it tough. 

The obvious conclusion though is we need a new number 10. Very little creativity. And without Broja we have jack up front.

3 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If Broja and Lyanco are out long term it really doesn't justify that spectacular error of a team selection.

Ralph had a mare today.

Better Lyanco than Salisu though (Lyanco is no great loss IMO)- so you could say the team selection (resting and protecting star players) was wise, in a way.

You are also making the assumption that we would have won on the 90 if we started them all. Maybe we would, but equally, you have to give the like of Small their chance at some point.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Red said:

I would suggest what else you can ask for is fielding a decent team to start with. Ralph got away with that but we went to extra time so did it really achieve what he was trying to do?

Manager plays weakened team in FA Cup against lower league opposition and doesn't win as comfortably as he may have done if he'd played a full strength team shocka. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Disapointed that, from what I'm reading, Small didn't have a good game. Hopefully, he'll be taught/ learn from that game. Disapointed about Walcott too. We're probably going to have him for another season, and I'm sure everyone was hoping he'd have more of an impact.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
typo city

12 minutes ago, obelisk said:

The plan was to let the first team have a rest. In the end they had to work extra hard and now Broja looks crocked. Well done, Ralph. 🙄

So want him to play the first team but complain that any of the first team players that come on work too hard and/or get injured? OK.

• Like 1

Well we made hard work for ourselves

At times i wondered who were the home team and who were the Premiership club.

Missed the ET stuff but listened to Blacky and Merry so hear KWP goal and the offside.

looks like we also paying for it with injuries and a knackered squad this week.

Ralph needs to do, and can do, better.

And one more thing.

When did we on this forum decide that one thread will do it, starting 3 weeks ago and including the build up, match and post match thread?

Want to know who said what during the last match, maybe on a Tuesday or Wednesday?  Well trawl through 28 pages to find the beginning.

And what mods decided this was acceptable.

They need to, and can, do better.

Edited by Secret Site Agent
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Ralph had a mare today.

Players can get injured at any time in any game, even in training. Ridiculous to blame the manager.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Secret Site Agent said:

When did we on this forum decide that one thread will do it, starting 3 weeks ago and including the build up, match and post match thread?

Want to know who said what during the last match, maybe on a Tuesday or Wednesday?  Well trawl through 28 pages to find the beginning.

This.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Secret Site Agent said:

This.

+1

I'd like to go back to pre, match and post match threads too. 

• Like 3

I'm really impressed by how Redders has somehow rediscovered his instinctive attacking intent. He went through a long period where whenever he got the ball I'd expect him to pass it backwards or lose the ball. Now he's back to being one of our most adventurous players; he's always looking for an attacking pass or run, and not scared to have a shot if he sees one on. He's really impressed me this season, and had a good game today.

• Haha 3

Don’t think Ralph can be criticised for using squad players that need match time, otherwise what is the point of having them in the squad?  I think the problem was in the number of changes made, the lack of quality in those brought in, but mostly the terrible coaching that underpins such a display. Coventry were better drilled and fitter, which showed in spades in the first half against our also rans.  A Armstrong, Walcott, Long and Redmond to a lesser extent are stealing a living and need replacing at the earliest opportunity. If Broja’s injury puts him out for a sustained time our league position could be eroded meaning a relegation scrap again.

3 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

The general opinion seems to be that Ralph made that win far harder than it needed to be.

He gave squad players a run out that should be able to turn Coventry City over.players were given a chance to impress yet weren't able to,and yet that's the managers fault? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

There is weak and then there is piss poor - Ralph opted for the latter.

It was a poor selection, but in Ralph's defence, he knew he could make 5 subs and had those subs on the bench.  Saints did just enough which, for cup games is probably the right strategy.  And we got to see a few players we hadn't seen for a while.  

Fun game in the end. Ridiculous goal fr Armstrong and the saves at the end before the offside were excellent. 

The Cov fan who ran on the pitch and booted the ball after he thought they had equalised is probably feeling a bit silly now.

Was disappointed with the initial team selection. I don't mind trying the odd thing and giving a couple of fringe players a go buy wholesale changes rarely work. Felt sorry for Small having to make a debut alongside 3 poor CB's as that's not the way to help him develop.

The sub's changed the momentum. Armstrong was out best player other than the machine that is Ward Prowse and the goal was something else. 

Coventry played well going forward up until half time and then faded. The chances they had after that were largely due to terrible defending. None of the CB's come out of that with any credit and the distribution from the back was some of the worst I have seen.

Happy to make it through, hopefully Broja's injury isn't too bad. Didn't look great that he collapsed to the flooron the final whistle and had to be helped off.

Why the EPL schedule a mid week game a few days after a FA cup so that managers have to make such selection choices I really don't know. There are plenty of opportunities in April and May to play mid week when most teams have no cup commitments. But a big mistake not to start with our best players today.

with so many changes today I feel that it is unfair to judge Small, better when he comes into a settled first team.

poor slow ponderous play for the most part except the first 20 mins of the 2nd half.

anyway we are still in the cup COYR.

1 minute ago, jimmysaint7 said:

He gave squad players a run out that should be able to turn Coventry City over.players were given a chance to impress yet weren't able to,and yet that's the managers fault? 

Of course it's his fault. That starting eleven looked crap on paper and even worse on the pitch and plenty of people predicted we'd struggle which proved to be the case.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Manuel said:

It was a poor selection, but in Ralph's defence, he knew he could make 5 subs and had those subs on the bench.  Saints did just enough which, for cup games is probably the right strategy.  And we got to see a few players we hadn't seen for a while.  

And players that we probably hope not to see again in an even longer while. Pick the nucleus of your best players not that shit show.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

And players that we probably hope not to see again in an even longer while. Pick the nucleus of your best players not that shit show.

And obviously would have been good to have got the job done at 90 so the team didn't have to suffer another extra time.  

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 2-1 Coventry - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic