Transfer deadline day chat

Pilchards

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

You just know Woods, Howe and Burn will be flogged off next season when Newcastle survive.

Really starting to dislike them!

Not if they're paying them so much that no one will match it.  They'll be stuck with them until the end of their contracts, perhaps subsidising the odd loan move etc.

• Like 1

Would be good if Newcastle sign the Reims striker as surely no need for them to go after Broja in the summer.

Djenepo loan very plausible. Think he started quite a few games at the start of the season, missed big chances vs Newcastle especially and I think Ralph has lost patience with him.

Believe in the summer he has one year left on his contract so imagine we will look to recoup anythingnwe can rather than offer an extension.

• Like 2

Might as well just call this the Newcastle thread…

Ekitike, Burn, Lingard, Targett, Henderson, Carrasco, Diop…anyone I’ve missed? 

Im expecting us to bring in one late player on loan. As we have done over the last few seasons. Might be why Moussa has been linked away…

Edited by Saint Garrett

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we had someone lined up, then yeah...let him go, option to buy and forget about him.

Weirdly though, we've not had him for a month and I've not missed him at all. So maybe we do feel as if we can risk it.

I think we've got enough depth in that position to see us through the season without him.

He showed a bit of early promise but if he hasn't managed to make the adjustment to the PL after 2.5 seasons then he never will IMO. Wouldn't be at all bothered if we let him go.

Djenepo will have one year left on his contract in the summer and it's likely he would only get a handful of appearances here and there at Saints until then. To maximise his sell price in the summer it makes good sense for him to have a (hopefully) productive loan spell somewhere else. He hasn't been a dreadful signing, glimpses of quality, fun character to have around, put a defensive shift in when asked, but it's clear he is not going to be the player we hoped he could be - certainly not in this league. 

1 minute ago, saintrich said:

Djenepo will have one year left on his contract in the summer and it's likely he would only get a handful of appearances here and there at Saints until then. To maximise his sell price in the summer it makes good sense for him to have a (hopefully) productive loan spell somewhere else. He hasn't been a dreadful signing, glimpses of quality, fun character to have around, put a defensive shift in when asked, but it's clear he is not going to be the player we hoped he could be - certainly not in this league. 

Agreed, 3 years here as a bit part player, showed flashes of quality but not really delivered anywhere near consistently. Time to move him on if we can.

If Alli is to go on loan to PL side a few possible clubs about to max out.

Everton - if they get VDB then that’s their two filled. 

Newcastle - likely to use one on Henderson or Lingard. Targett appears to be their second option.

Just now, EBS1980 said:

If Alli is to go on loan to PL side a few possible clubs about to max out.

Everton - if they get VDB then that’s their two filled. 

Newcastle - likely to use one on Henderson or Lingard. Targett appears to be their second option.

Yup - he's not going to go to the other big 5 clubs.  Palace would probably be a good fit for him.

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Agreed, 3 years here as a bit part player, showed flashes of quality but not really delivered anywhere near consistently. Time to move him on if we can.

When he scored this goal just a few games in I thought we were looking at a future superstar.  I remember he and Boufal linked up well for a couple of games, shame.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

When he scored this goal just a few games in I thought we were looking at a future superstar.  I remember he and Boufal linked up well for a couple of games, shame.

He played left back that day too! I liek him, he's got ability for sure, but it's frustrating that he can never get a proper run in the side. One of the few players who can beat people, but seems to have gone backwards this season.

Targett from Villa, Wood from Burnley and Burn from Brighton…….it’s hardly edge of your seat stuff is it?

I have no idea what the foreign guys are like but given one is only 19 and they will need time to adjust and settle it’s not as thrilling as I’m sure the Toon army were expecting

Edited by beatlesaint

4 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Targett from Villa, Wood from Burnley and Burn from Brighton…….it’s hardly edge of your seat stuff is it?

I have no idea what the foreign guys are like but given one is only 19 and they will need time to adjust and settle it’s not as thrilling as I’m sure the Toon army were expecting

Better than what they have, though.

In fairness, all they need to do this window is improve on what they have in a few positions and do enough to stay-up. In summer, they will be attract a higher echelon of player if they're still in the Premier League but the top tier of player won't want to go there yet whilst the threat of relegation is still real. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whelk said:

Other than the Brazilian midfielder from Lyon who I hadn’t heard of but sounds handy, Newcastle signings been massively underwhelming.

They've shored up their defence, weakened a relegation rival considerably, and invested in a decent midfielder and probably some more to come. Easily enough to progress to phase two after staying up. Eminently sensible to me. Next season will be the one where they invest in a higher grade. Basically early Man City.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DT said:

They've shored up their defence, weakened a relegation rival considerably, and invested in a decent midfielder and probably some more to come. Easily enough to progress to phase two after staying up. Eminently sensible to me. Next season will be the one where they invest in a higher grade. Basically early Man City.

I hope these players realise that all they are doing is potentially stabilising the club, and that after next season, assuming they stay up this time, they will be discarded as their "European challenging team" starts to form. If that comes to pass, in 18 months they will all be on the bench or surplus to requirements.

Edited by badgerx16

16 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Can someone explain Newcastles transfer policy? It seems like it’s just ‘bid for any player in a top league and hope he wants to sign’. 

Buy some pretty solid premier league options, whilst weakening rivals and who can hit the ground running straight away.  Bring in a few top young talents from abroad, for the longer term.

6 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Aaron Ramsey linked with Burnley or Rangers....should we not be all over that too 🤷🏼‍♂️. May be 31 but still a great player

The fact Burnley and Rangers are after him tells you all you need to know. Was a good player, on silly money and where does he fit in our team?

• Like 2

Re: Newcastle: be surprised if Any team in the premier league can buy a lot of strangers whack them together with next to no training and expect them to do better than they currently are immediately. Teams in the past that have done this have struggled badly for at least 1/2 season after, i think I remember West Ham and Leicester both being guilty of something like this in the past.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StDunko said:

Not if they're paying them so much that no one will match it.  They'll be stuck with them until the end of their contracts, perhaps subsidising the odd loan move etc.

They could buy out their contracts and let them go as free agents. 

6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I hope these players realise that all they are doing is potentially stabilising the club, and that after next season, assuming they stay up this time, they will be discarded as their "European challenging team" starts to form. If that comes to pass, in 18 months they will all be on the bench or surplus to requirements.

Not sure they'd care, given the wages they'll get in the interim and someone else will offer them a home

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Anything from our preferred journo's about potential incomings or it "being a quiet day at Staplewood"? Normally would have had something to suggest either way by now?

Yes its all quiet at the moment. Hoping we are keeping things close to our chest on some potential incomings.

25 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Poor old Matty Targett. Looks as if he has failed to impress Gerrard.

Actually, I'll rephrase that - Very rich Matty Targett. I hope he screws Newcastle for a very large wedge.

Good luck to him. 

He's just going there on loan so will keep his same wages at Villa surely?