Transfer deadline day chat

Pilchards

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I did think that the new owners would want to make a signing or two. I'm a bit surprised if we don't pull at least one out of the bag. 

Our transfer method nowadays is a bit more sophisticated than pulling something out of the bag--that was old Harry's style. The present squad is shaping well, the bench is stronger. A GK is promised in the summer. OK by me! 

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I did think that the new owners would want to make a signing or two. I'm a bit surprised if we don't pull at least one out of the bag. 

Looks like they have been trying (Anjorin, Broja, that PSG young lad), but if they aren't available I'm ok with us not doing anything. Rather wait for the right player and if that's the summer, so be it.

Very important summer coming up that's for sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Our transfer method nowadays is a bit more sophisticated than pulling something out of the bag--that was old Harry's style. The present squad is shaping well, the bench is stronger. A GK is promised in the summer. OK by me! 

It's a figure of speech obviously... 

Semmens said in the summer that there was money left over for January should we need it. Fortunately, we haven't needed it. With those funds + the takeover saved over for the summer, if that allows us to sign a match winning goalkeeper (Johnstone's not that, he was the cheap Gao option), an attacking midfielder in the mould of a young up and comer like Anjorin, Broja, or a £30m equivalent striker if he's not obtainable, plus signing Salisu up to a new contract then that will be a brilliant summer.

If we lose Broja and then need to sell JWP/Salisu in the summer to finance incomings, then it'll be the same old Southampton with nothing changing. We'll see! It could be an exciting one for once and I really hope it is.

P.S. Has is been confirmed whether Guan and K Billy were Les Reed and Ross Wilson?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

If we lose Broja and then need to sell JWP/Salisu in the summer to finance incomings, then it'll be the same old Southampton with nothing changing. We'll see! It could be an exciting one for once and I really hope it is.

Be prepared to be disappointed, which by the way is your own doing. The model won’t change as such, expect us to buy potential and sell at the right time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

After all these years, why i bother even to log in on transfer day is quite bewildering. I should be booked for time wasting

It ain't all over until the fat lady sings, and I believe she's still trying to get ready...Fat GIF

... and then after that we await the acceptance of the deal sheet. 😁 Premier League Goal GIF by Play Sports

It's not a day to be sat glued to SSN as a Saints fan but I still hold some hope we can pull something out the bag late on. We don't need it necessarily but if the right player became available...

45 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Semmens said in the summer that there was money left over for January should we need it. Fortunately, we haven't needed it. With those funds + the takeover saved over for the summer, if that allows us to sign a match winning goalkeeper (Johnstone's not that, he was the cheap Gao option), an attacking midfielder in the mould of a young up and comer like Anjorin, Broja, or a £30m equivalent striker if he's not obtainable, plus signing Salisu up to a new contract then that will be a brilliant summer.

P.S. Has is been confirmed whether Guan and K Billy were Les Reed and Ross Wilson?

Was that a thing? 😆

I'd honestly love to know who they were, though.

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Still no "there's no business tonight" tweet from Adam Blackmore yet. So that says to me that there's still time for four or five incomings.

At least. And news of a stadium expansion. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Still no "there's no business tonight" tweet from Adam Blackmore yet. So that says to me that there's still time for four or five incomings.

This is the only reason I think we might still be trying something. Anything now is a bonus though. But this was what it was like with Theo and Ings, just completely out the blue late on. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Here's one Newcastle missed out on ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60197741

"Roberto Carlos' brilliant, swerving free-kick for Brazil against France in 1997 is one of the most memorable goals in the history of football.

It's no wonder then that a pub team in Shropshire could hardly believe it when they learned the World Cup-winning full-back will play for them in a Sunday league match.

The Bull In The Barne won the services of Carlos - now 48 - in a 'dream transfer raffle' on eBay meaning he will appear as a substitute at one of their Shrewsbury & District games in February.

"You pay £5 to enter the raffle for a chance to have a pro sign for your team. One of our lads said in a group chat 'let's just give it a go' and we ended up winning it," striker and club secretary Matthew Brown told BBC Radio Shropshire."

I heard the Skates borrowed a fiver and tried, but alas didn't win. 

5 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

For any #SaintsFc fans still wondering (despite the hints from me this month) if they are going to do any business tonight, 

I can tell you that Ralph Hasenhuettl and Martin Semmens are busy watching Pompey on Monday Night Football 😉😁

Stand down …

We're signing that young lad that's missing from the Charlton line up then? 😉

13 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

For any #SaintsFc fans still wondering (despite the hints from me this month) if they are going to do any business tonight, 

I can tell you that Ralph Hasenhuettl and Martin Semmens are busy watching Pompey on Monday Night Football 😉😁

Stand down …

Bazunu is going to be our new GK isn't he? Right sort of age and parent club 😂

Ah well, it’s not like we were desperate to bring someone in. January would have been a good time to bring in another youth prospect as it would have given them time to bed in ready for next season but if they ain’t available then not much we can do. The Anjorin thing seemed strange though, I mean if his agent/Dad really was at staplewood then you’d assume we’d have been at least close to some sort of agreement with Chelsea. Wonder if we were trying to make Broja permanent and flip the loan to Anjorin instead?

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Nothing says ‘pushing on to the next level’ like not bothering about trying to improve the squad. Bit disappointed tbh

I'm sure we have our targets, we know who we want and the likelihood is that they're not available in this window.

I don't think we're a club who will ever throw a deadline day signing in just because it looks exciting. There are loads of clubs who lap that up, but those clubs don't really have a philosophy. I'm content with how we operate, January is a bonus window to fill up emergency holes really....it should ever be seen as a window to 'take you to the next level', if it is...then the club has got it all wrong in the first place.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'm sure we have our targets, we know who we want and the likelihood is that they're not available in this window.

I don't think we're a club who will ever throw a deadline day signing in just because it looks exciting. There are loads of clubs who lap that up, but those clubs don't really have a philosophy. I'm content with how we operate, January is a bonus window to fill up emergency holes really....it should ever be seen as a window to 'take you to the next level', if it is...then the club has got it all wrong in the first place.

Fair enough. Shame about the Chelsea lad. Looked exciting. 

3 minutes ago, wadesmith said:

Encouraging first window from new owners. Not ‘overloading’ club with new players. Maintaining ‘consistent squad throughout season’, why rock the boat? .Showing we won’t bullied by agents. Sustainability. I like what I see so far!

To be fair, I reckon the fact that there's been no media speculation of teams making offers for JWP is probably due to us being a bit better off now.

1 minute ago, Stu Man Do said:

Shame about the kid from Fulham, doubt we ever really had a chance but not sure these big moves are good for early career development. 

would have liked a new Lallana type but we should be ok until the summer.

£8M rumoured price. No real chance when competing against Liverpool. I expect they will look to loan him out next season or two to a premier league to build up his experience as still so young.