Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

10 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If that's the benchmark fee for a starting England International midfielder, what chance have we got of getting upwards of 60m for JWP? If we are selling that is

A good chance, just for his free kicks alone  he's gotta be worth 70m

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If that's the benchmark fee for a starting England International midfielder, what chance have we got of getting upwards of 60m for JWP? If we are selling that is

Contract length has a big impact on transfer price

- Phillips expires 2024

- Ward-Prowse expires 2026

That puts Saints in a stronger negotiating position if an offer came in for Ward-Prowse than Leeds have had with Phillips.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

No chance.

It is understood that Aston Villa and Crystal Palace first expressed interest in the player last month, and this week both Arsenal and Southampton have been in contact with Lens regarding the player's availability.

Also as a FYI Lens just bought a defensive midfielder for 5mil

https://www.eyefootball.com/news/50433/Premier-League-sides-queuing-Cheick-Doucoure.html

Edited by Convict Colony

17 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Contract length has a big impact on transfer price

- Phillips expires 2024

- Ward-Prowse expires 2026

That puts Saints in a stronger negotiating position if an offer came in for Ward-Prowse than Leeds have had with Phillips.

Leeds' negotiating position seemed pretty strong. Two years to go, only 26 (a year younger than JWP) and first choice England player. I thought the deal would £50m+

My guess is his (Philips) agent hinted that he'd walk on a free in two years time, and like all clubs, Leeds can't allow that...its financial suicide...

...so, as you say, having those extra two years on JWP contract does make a big difference because we cant be held to ransom by the player threatening to walk on a free. When he's 31 we probably aren't worried about that happening.

That said, maybe £45m is all we'd get for JWP. We shall see...or maybe not.

Edited by Chez

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Leeds' negotiating position seemed pretty strong. Two years to go, only 26 (a year younger than JWP) and first choice England player. I thought the deal would £50m+

My guess is his (Philips) agent hinted that he'd walk on a free in two years time, and like all clubs, Leeds can't allow that...its financial suicide...

...so, as you say, having those extra two years on JWP contract does make a big difference because we cant be held to ransom by the player threatening to walk on a free. When he's 31 we probably aren't worried about that happening.

Would be highly disappointed if that's all we get fit him. Wouldn't be worth our while selling at that price 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

What deadwood have we got rid of?

None really. Forster was fist choice. Not sure he was deadwood. 

We seem to have added bodies that we didn't have gaps for - an extra keeper and extra CB.  Its normally one in and one out. With Simeu a year older, you could argue there's another body added to the first team squad. There has to be some departures coming, doesn't there?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

It is understood that Aston Villa and Crystal Palace first expressed interest in the player last month, and this week both Arsenal and Southampton have been in contact with Lens regarding the player's availability.

Also as a FYI Lens just bought a defensive midfielder for 5mil

https://www.eyefootball.com/news/50433/Premier-League-sides-queuing-Cheick-Doucoure.html

Would say all three of those would be ahead of us in terms of attractiveness. Palace will have the Vieira factor.

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Would be highly disappointed if that's all we get fit him. Wouldn't be worth our while selling at that price 

and I doubt we'd sell him for that. It feels like a similar situation to Zaha. We want £70m and other teams would like to buy, but not at that price, so he goes nowhere.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

We seem to have added bodies that we didn't have gaps for - an extra keeper and extra CB.  Its normally one in and one out. With Simeu a year older, you could argue there's another body added to the first team squad. There has to be some departures coming, doesn't there?

Hopefully quite a few...

Bednarek, McCarthy, Stephens, Djeneppo, Redmond,Walcott, Long, NDundulu. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Would say all three of those would be ahead of us in terms of attractiveness. Palace will have the Vieira factor.

yeah i dunno, am guessing though players also look can they start asap or get in there quickly, also teams could have a few targets and are just putting the feelers out where as we could be saying you are no.1 target for midfield, your a gun, come to us

Edited by Convict Colony

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

yeah i dunno, am guessing though players also look can they start asap or get in there quickly, also teams could have a few targets and are just putting the feelers out where as we could be saying you are no.1 target for midfield, your a gun, come to us

One of our bigger USP's atm

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Forster, Lewis so far.

Redmond, Walcott, Moi, Beg all said to be off. Okay maybe we haven't "got rid" of them yet but there seems to be a fair amount of effort to do so.

Watson and SKD  and the other one whose name now escapes me have gone as well

34 minutes ago, Chez said:

and I doubt we'd sell him for that. It feels like a similar situation to Zaha. We want £70m and other teams would like to buy, but not at that price, so he goes nowhere.

Zaha did go somewhere but ended up back at Palace , he should stay there and apply himself and have a good end to his Prem days !

52 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't know where all this talk of deadwood comes from.  The deadwood was Hoedt, Lemina, Vesty, Cedric, Gunn, Carillo & Boufal who all departed last summer.  We don't have any deadwood now.  We have a few who are increasing their distance from the first team and may decide to seek their fortunes elsewhere but most want to be a here and fight for a place.

We have 3 keepers leaving (Forster, Lewis and Beach) and have replaced (Caballero, Lis and Bazunu).  AMK is a likely replacement for Bedders.

Perfect balance so far.

• Like 1

Personally, I can’t see us getting Doucouré.

Lavia on loan would be a good singing that would add competition.

Svanberg seems to be over. Not overly fussed either way, YouTube makes anyone look good. Even Djenepo looked good on YouTube!

I’d rather we got Sangaré buy the door has definitely closed with him now he’s linked with bigger clubs.

Waiting for Liam Delap to sign on loan for the season, I think that’ll be announced in the next couple of weeks.

11 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Personally, I can’t see us getting Doucouré.

Lavia on loan would be a good singing that would add competition.

Svanberg seems to be over. Not overly fussed either way, YouTube makes anyone look good. Even Djenepo looked good on YouTube!

I’d rather we got Sangaré buy the door has definitely closed with him now he’s linked with bigger clubs.

Waiting for Liam Delap to sign on loan for the season, I think that’ll be announced in the next couple of weeks.

Everything I’ve read re: Doucoure is he’s off to palace.

We can’t get both Lavia / Delap on loan, so we’d have to decide which one we want / who wants the move the most.

On 22/06/2022 at 06:13, Saint_clark said:

For the last two seasons we've conceded 60+ goals, been amongst the most conceded in the league. I'm glad they've made keeper and defense the priority. 

Keeper yes has been sorely needed for years. But equally we haven't had a quality player on the left in yonks - Salisu aside, the other mediocre players have at least had purple patches from time to time.

During Ralph's entire period in charge, we've signed Walcott on a free and Djenepo to reinforce a position that was clearly not strong enough in the squad he inherited.
With the best will in the world, Walcott is Talksport bound and Djenepo has hardly got a game and rightly so.

I think if we want to kick on we have to improve our #10 options.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

They have also sold a youth player to Leeds for just £5 million, so I'd imagine there is an element of part exchange there going on. 

• Like 1

On Tv Aiden McGee saying that the Calvin Phillips sale dealings were done a month ago (before the end of the season). That Leeds didnt want to risk the loss of negotiating power a relegation would have brought.

10 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Everything I’ve read re: Doucoure is he’s off to palace.

Yep. Pretty sure the reason he’s wearing that shirt is that Djenepo is a fellow Malian and they’re probably mates. Every report and search result says Palace. Would be nice to be wrong though. 

36 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Yep. Pretty sure the reason he’s wearing that shirt is that Djenepo is a fellow Malian and they’re probably mates. Every report and search result says Palace. Would be nice to be wrong though. 

Without encouraging the “wish we were palace” posts, they’ve really upped their recruitment game in the last couple of seasons.

Seemingly we were interested in Awoniyi recently so would be interesting if that changed or he picked Forest over Saints and others.

Had a release clause so fee no issue. Guarenteed starts there probably appealing.

Suprised we havent been more strongly linked to #10s and strikers seeing as we potentially need 3.

Last summer it looked like we had missed out on Brandon Williams, if reports were true. He ended up at newly promoted Norwich, got relegated and we ended up with a much better player in Tino Livramento. Hopefully, it's a repeat scenario.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

JWP has more in his locker and is in his prime. But anyway Saints would probably be delighted if no 60+ million bids came in for him this summer, especially as he's our best player and poster boy for the academy. 

We've already spent circa £20 million which is refreshing but I'd be surprised if we're already buying with the intention that we're going to get good money for JWP. That doesn't sound like a good business model.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarkSFC said:

Hopefully quite a few...

Bednarek, McCarthy, Stephens, Djeneppo, Redmond,Walcott, Long, NDundulu. 

If we can find anyone to buy them. If they don’t get similar terms elsewhere  (and, Bednarek apart, suspect this group won’t) they may be content to just sit out their contracts. Not sure McCarthy is available is he? 

8 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

If we can find anyone to buy them. If they don’t get similar terms elsewhere  (and, Bednarek apart, suspect this group won’t) they may be content to just sit out their contracts. Not sure McCarthy is available is he? 

Hopefully does not meant expecting. But that is who I'd like to see go. I only expect Bednarek and Walcott and/or Redmond. McCarthy doesn't appear to be on the market but should be. 

These new owners "might" be willing to take a hit on 2 or 3 players to help clear the decks rather than having players sitting in the squad offering little to the group. Who knows🤷‍♂️

Being Saints fans = hope is eternal. I'm hoping things improve this summer😂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

JWP has more in his locker and is in his prime. But anyway Saints would probably be delighted if no 60+ million bids came in for him this summer, especially as he's our best player and poster boy for the academy. 

We've already spent circa £20 million which is refreshing but I'd be surprised if we're already buying with the intention that we're going to get good money for JWP. That doesn't sound like a good business model.

We had a €17m net spend surplus last summer so the money so far would I assume be that plus monies saved from big wage departures Lemina, Bertrand, Vestergaard, Ings and Hoedt. Best part of £15m a year saved there last summers signings won’t be on anywhere near their wages. 

Assume we’re looking to cash in on Bednarek to raise some more plus hopefully find buyers from Walcott, Redmond, Djenepo 

early days but nice to see us being proactive but the I remain to be convinced that the sell to buy days are over just yet.

22 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

JWP shows no sign of wanting to leave, unlike all the others who couldn't get out quick enough-Lallana Van Dyke etc--Prowsie is the image of one club loyalty- MLT with the bonus of a brain--to get rid of him even at £75m would say something awful about the Club, the owners and about what is happening to the game we love. Keep him! He is our own and the iconic figure of who we are.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SW11_Saint said:

Anyway, trying to sell McCarthy to another football club would be as futile as trying to sell sand to a Bedouin tribe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Seemingly we were interested in Awoniyi recently so would be interesting if that changed or he picked Forest over Saints and others.

Had a release clause so fee no issue. Guarenteed starts there probably appealing.

Suprised we havent been more strongly linked to #10s and strikers seeing as we potentially need 3.

It seemed to go cold, so maybe we didn't feel he was worth the release clause we were quoted. I don't think guaranteed starts would have been an issue, any new striker we sign will be first choice from day 1 as we have no one else!

I reckon we're looking for more mobility and pace up top.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

It seemed to go cold, so maybe we didn't feel he was worth the release clause we were quoted. I don't think guaranteed starts would have been an issue, any new striker we sign will be first choice from day 1 as we have no one else!

I reckon we're looking for more mobility and pace up top.

Ive not seen much of Awoniyi but seems like he does have those attributes, backed up by the reports on him today.

Considering he just scored 15 goals in the Bundesliga, is 24 and was available for less than £18m it seems a good deal.

Very intrigued to see who we go for as this signing needs to hit the ground running because JWP aside our output from midfield in terms of goals is so poor.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Chez said:

2 years is the last resort time a club should be selling a player imo - at least if you rely on player trading to make significant income.

If you know a player wants to leave or won't renew, you can't afford to let them stay longer financially.

Saints should certainly be operating on that basis given our strategy. It's why I am wondering whether we should be shifting salisu as he is yet to sign a new contract and next summer his value will have dropped a lot (with 1 year left) / our position will be significantly weaker. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dellman said:

JWP shows no sign of wanting to leave, unlike all the others who couldn't get out quick enough-Lallana Van Dyke etc--Prowsie is the image of one club loyalty- MLT with the bonus of a brain--to get rid of him even at £75m would say something awful about the Club, the owners and about what is happening to the game we love. Keep him! He is our own and the iconic figure of who we are.

Lallana didn't want to leave either, until he did. All the chat at the time was of him being a one-club man and yet it goes out of the window when Klopp comes calling. Appreciate the sentiment of your post otherwise.