Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

I've always liked Stu's off the ball running and willingness to carry the ball and drive forward, however the question should be asked as to what does this actually do for us, especially if the end result is often that he loses the ball, all be it having got opponents to work hard and commit. Every now and then that head down and drive forward leads to him losing it in a relatively bad area and we are in trouble. Basically, is he as good as we want to believe and can we do better in that attacking midfielder area?

If we get a flood of teams from the Prem trying to buy him, then you know you should be keeping him. The fact he's being advertised tells you we need to drum up interest. 

We needed to reboot - and we are getting one. Players like Bednarek, Stu and Redmond (all on considerable wages no doubt) leaving are the price your pay for that.

4 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

To be fair back then he was a hell of a lot better than the winger we played as striker who was going to be the new Henry !

My point being is AMN just another player who thinks he would be better in another position , despite what the manager/coach says ? Doesn’t sound like he would knuckle under for our team , Walcott had his chance failed then got sold .

2 minutes ago, bennyev said:

If Romeu, Jan and Stu or Eli leave we’re gonna be seriously short on experience. 

As was discussed at length in the fans forum, experience is not what concerns the management, its all about player quality and if we have to buy young and very inexperienced to get that quality (and on budget we do), so be it.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Ralph confirmed in press conference that Che will not be leaving 👍🏼

that was made clear at the fans forum. I think some people pointed to the fact the words used were "he wouldn't be leaving on loan to Everton" so he might still be sold, but the clear impression was that he was going nowhere.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

We’re not going to sell Che Adams in this window, absolutely not happening, it’s not even worth talking about ffs 🤦🏻‍♂️

Now confirmed by Ralph….perhaps the hard of thinking on here will drop the ridiculous hand wringing now, it was obvious he wasn’t going anywhere…….oh ffs, they’ve moved on to Stuart Armstrong 🙄🤣

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Chez said:

I've always liked Stu's off the ball running and willingness to carry the ball and drive forward, however the question should be asked as to what does this actually do for us, especially if the end result is often that he loses the ball, all be it having got opponents to work hard and commit. Every now and then that head down and drive forward leads to him losing it in a relatively bad area and we are in trouble. Basically, is he as good as we want to believe and can we do better in that attacking midfielder area?

If we get a flood of teams from the Prem trying to buy him, then you know you should be keeping him. The fact he's being advertised tells you we need to drum up interest. 

We needed to reboot - and we are getting one. Players like Bednarek, Stu and Redmond (all on considerable wages no doubt) leaving are the price your pay for that.

When did we last win a game without him? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Now confirmed by Ralph….perhaps the hard of thinking on here will drop the ridiculous hand wringing now, it was obvious he wasn’t going anywhere. 

Some people just need to worry. For these people, supporting us is an excellent choice as there is plenty to piss your pants over, should you feel like it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Now confirmed by Ralph….perhaps the hard of thinking on here will drop the ridiculous hand wringing now, it was obvious he wasn’t going anywhere…….oh ffs, they’ve moved on to Stuart Armstrong 🙄🤣

Some people like commenting on speculation, doesn’t really make them “hard of thinking” and it was entirely plausible that he could leave. Great news that he isn’t. No real need to act like a twat though 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

Replace Stu with Redmond and it's the same story.

But, can we afford and attract players who work hard off the ball, are always willing to drive forward with the ball, can get us into dangerous positions, who rarely lose the ball, and offer more goals or assists? If you took Stu and added 10 goals a season or regular assists, he wouldn't come here or stay with us for long.

Interesting news around Stu and Elyounoussi. I remember we were keen to offer Elyounoussi a new contract a few months back, so he's obviously rejected that and we're looking to cash in.

If we lose him, Stu and Redmond then we can look forward to a nice revamp of our number 10 positions in the next 6 days....! We'd be giving ourselves a lot to do in a short space of time though.

Recap on who we are looking to dump -

Bednarek (we'd need to replace him)

Romeu (we'd need to replace him)

Redmond, Elyounussi, Theo, Stu (We'd need to replace them)

So that would mean potentially 5 or 6 new additions in 6 days, as we need full back cover and a striker before anyone leaves as it is. Can't see it.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

that was made clear at the fans forum. I think some people pointed to the fact the words used were "he wouldn't be leaving on loan to Everton" so he might still be sold, but the clear impression was that he was going nowhere.

What was made clear at the fans forum was that he wasn’t going to Everton on loan. That’s what was said, so that’s what was made clear. What has been made clear today is that he isn’t being sold this summer, because that’s what was said. In-between those two statements 2 things have changed, firstly our formation and secondly his form. 

He’s back in the plans now and that’s great for all concerned at this stage but let’s not rewrite history. He didn’t play great in pre season and hardly has a backlog of goals to rely on and therefore whilst he was out of the team he/his agent/the club/Everton all explored the possibility of a deal that could be done that would suit everyone. A loan was ruled out, Everton didn’t commit to a permanent deal and he upped his game and is back in the team. Hence we’ve changed our tune. Lets not act like it’s been clear all along he was staying because that simply isn’t true.

There’s no commitment to a long term deal yet, I’m sure that is a fluid situation based on his form and I wouldn’t be surprised if come January he’s out the team again that a deal might be looked at again. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I agree but its usually to the centre of the field where he then loses it and we get countered for a goal

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Interesting news around Stu and Elyounoussi. I remember we were keen to offer Elyounoussi a new contract a few months back, so he's obviously rejected that and we're looking to cash in.

If we lose him, Stu and Redmond then we can look forward to a nice revamp of our number 10 positions in the next 6 days....! We'd be giving ourselves a lot to do in a short space of time though, given that we need a new striker as it is.

Be careful what you refer to as "news".

The Che situation is puzzling.  If I understand it correctly:

- Che hasn't been in full training.

- He's been involved in matches, showing his importance to us.

- He played against Cambridge when if he's not been fully fit to train I'd query the necessity of playing this match.

- If he is for sale, then we need 2 strikers and we're apparently struggling to get 1 over the line.

It all points to Che not leaving.

Edit: and the boss said he's not leaving!! 🤣

Edited by notnowcato
presser
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Great player to break the lines, but has a tendency to hold on to the ball for too long though which ends up with either a great move slowing down, or getting tackled and countered.

Armstrong's deteriorated quite a bit since his long lay off last year and I think those diminishing physical attributes have highlighted his limited footballing ability a bit more. Last summer when he was linked with a move away it was viewed as a potential terrible move by myself, but this summer I'd be open to it and getting better in, in return. Although, my hopes were pinned on Hudson-Odoi. Double barrelled surname and think he'd have given us the same as Bertrand and Romeu have/did after their moves from Chelsea.

Glad to hear we have finally said that Adams is not for sale.

One for MLG (for when he returns)

Just heard Alex Crook say "my sources at Southampton say he is not for sale".  So, the quote from Ralph at the press conference then.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not really related to us but just seen that Arkadiusz Milik is signing for Juve on loan with an £8m option to buy. Seems fantastic value when you consider the prices being quoted for some players with much less experience. I’d take a player like that in a heart beat.

2 minutes ago, Mikey88 said:

Not really related to us but just seen that Arkadiusz Milik is signing for Juve on loan with an £8m option to buy. Seems fantastic value when you consider the prices being quoted for some players with much less experience. I’d take a player like that in a heart beat.

Thought he had just signed for Marseille? 

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just heard Alex Crook say "my sources at Southampton say he is not for sale".  So, the quote from Ralph at the press conference then.

How the fuck has he ended up as TalkSports 'Transfer Guru'? He's almost as bad as the chuckle brothers on Sky Sports news with their constant ''It's our understanding that we're making it up as we go a long, but we will endevour to use big words and look important in our suits so that it sounds ligitimate''

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we lose him, Stu and Redmond then we can look forward to a nice revamp of our number 10 positions in the next 6 days....! We'd be giving ourselves a lot to do in a short space of time though.

Recap on who we are looking to dump -

Bednarek (we'd need to replace him)

Romeu (we'd need to replace him)

Redmond, Elyounussi, Theo, Stu (We'd need to replace them)

So that would mean potentially 5 or 6 new additions in 6 days, as we need full back cover and a striker before anyone leaves as it is. Can't see it.

This entirely. In a Football Manager world that might happen but that is a lot of squad depth to replace and integrate very, very quickly. We all know Bednarek and Elyounoussi aren't starting eleven players but they're still decent squad players.

10 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Journalistic bullshit at it's finest. He blocked me some months ago when I quizzed him on whether Ings' and Bertrand's contracts were due to be announced anytime soon. 😂
Mr Blobby is probably just an ITK as him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Some people like commenting on speculation, doesn’t really make them “hard of thinking” and it was entirely plausible that he could leave. Great news that he isn’t. No real need to act like a twat though 

Interesting though that it’s almost entirely negative “speculation” they comment on.  Not calling them bed-wetters, melts, snowflakes etc, just saying…………..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

Interesting though that it’s almost entirely negative “speculation” they comment on.  Not calling them bed-wetters, melts, snowflakes etc, just saying…………..

Dunno where you get that from. People comment on potential signings, team formations, Nottingham Forest, random ex players no one cares about.  Pretty much everything as you would expect. So you’re just saying what exactly? That you only notice the negative? That’s a shame.

47 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I agree but its usually to the centre of the field where he then loses it and we get countered for a goal

Agree,  and unlikely to fight to regain possession.   Exciting when his runs work,  and can change the tempo of a game as a sub,  but liability at times. 

We should have a lot better for starting 11.

59 minutes ago, Appy said:

Don’t think Ralph is that keen on Stuart Armstrong as others have suggested, he does give the ball away cheaply too often. 

Wasn't so long a go ralph called him our most important player so not sure where that is coming from.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

By not revealing his source it makes him feel like a journalist. Stealing a living...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

How the fuck has he ended up as TalkSports 'Transfer Guru'? He's almost as bad as the chuckle brothers on Sky Sports news with their constant ''It's our understanding that we're making it up as we go a long, but we will endevour to use big words and look important in our suits so that it sounds ligitimate''

And the fuckers talk very slowly for dramatic effect and so they drag out little content. I can’t fucking bear to watch them anymore.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RobM said:

Replace Stu with Redmond and it's the same story.

But, can we afford and attract players who work hard off the ball, are always willing to drive forward with the ball, can get us into dangerous positions, who rarely lose the ball, and offer more goals or assists? If you took Stu and added 10 goals a season or regular assists, he wouldn't come here or stay with us for long.

we need a player that is either Redmond, with a little more Stu, or Stu, with a little more Redmond.

Getting quality is certainly tough, and the management has explained how they will do it, buy young inexperienced types that have the quality. ..they hope.

Edited by Chez

2 hours ago, Chez said:

This is true. He's wildly overrated on account of having one really good attribute - his ability to drive through the midfield in transition.

Unfortunately the rest of his attributes aren't at the same level. The end product after an impressive drive isn't there - he's a mediocre passer, his decision making is ponderous and muddled, his finishing ratio is about two bangers per season to a hundred shanks. 

Being somewhat versatile, he'd be a decent squad option in normal times. But I don't think he's anything special at all. Doesn't start for Scotland - not a team blessed with creative riches.

That said, I'd start him all day every day ahead of Elyounoussi.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Ralph Hasenhuttl says Southampton "will definitely not sell" striker Che Adams this summer.

Adams, who has been strongly linked with a move to Everton, has also been of interest to Leeds United and Nottingham Forest.

Speaking to the media, Hassenhuttl addressed the rumours and said: "I can categorically say that he's our player and he's staying with us.

"We will definitely not sell him this summer."

On the Scotland international's start to the season, he added: "He has a big impact when he comes on.

"He showed against Cambridge he can score goals. It's a sign of him feeling confident."

If this isn't definitive I don't know what is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

What was made clear at the fans forum was that he wasn’t going to Everton on loan. That’s what was said, so that’s what was made clear. What has been made clear today is that he isn’t being sold this summer, because that’s what was said. In-between those two statements 2 things have changed, firstly our formation and secondly his form. 

He’s back in the plans now and that’s great for all concerned at this stage but let’s not rewrite history. He didn’t play great in pre season and hardly has a backlog of goals to rely on and therefore whilst he was out of the team he/his agent/the club/Everton all explored the possibility of a deal that could be done that would suit everyone. A loan was ruled out, Everton didn’t commit to a permanent deal and he upped his game and is back in the team. Hence we’ve changed our tune. Lets not act like it’s been clear all along he was staying because that simply isn’t true.

There’s no commitment to a long term deal yet, I’m sure that is a fluid situation based on his form and I wouldn’t be surprised if come January he’s out the team again that a deal might be looked at again. 

Fair enough.

The question at the forum was specifically about him going out on loan, seen on twitter, and to me the response was clear, he was going nowhere full stop. Yes, the word `loan' was used in the answer, but it wasn't a carefully prepared answer or him choosing his words carefully to leave room for manoeuvre. To me, he was saying he was going nowhere. That was my take when I watched the forum, but I must say you make some fair points and the fact there is no long term deal in place this summer is quite telling. 

Loads of people saying `we should not sell, madness' etc, but yet to have one person answer my question (asked several times) : would you give him a five year £100k a week contract now? If not, what would your plan be? Two years left of his contract, and his value will start to reduce, unless of course he has a stormer this season. Do you gamble on that or look to sell (which may have been what we were trying to do - who knows)

8 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Ralph Hasenhuttl says Southampton "will definitely not sell" striker Che Adams this summer.

Adams, who has been strongly linked with a move to Everton, has also been of interest to Leeds United and Nottingham Forest.

Speaking to the media, Hassenhuttl addressed the rumours and said: "I can categorically say that he's our player and he's staying with us.

"We will definitely not sell him this summer."

On the Scotland international's start to the season, he added: "He has a big impact when he comes on.

"He showed against Cambridge he can score goals. It's a sign of him feeling confident."

If this isn't definitive I don't know what is. 

its very definitive. So we allow his contract to wind down to one year then and hope he scores 20 goals to firm his selling price up. Maybe along the way we offer a new contract...

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

Fair enough.

The question at the forum was specifically about him going out on loan, seen on twitter, and to me the response was clear, he was going nowhere full stop. Yes, the word `loan' was used in the answer, but it wasn't a carefully prepared answer or him choosing his words carefully to leave room for manoeuvre. To me, he was saying he was going nowhere. That was my take when I watched the forum, but I must say you make some fair points and the fact there is no long term deal in place this summer is quite telling. 

Loads of people saying `we should not sell, madness' etc, but yet to have one person answer my question (asked several times) : would you give him a five year £100k a week contract now? If not, what would your plan be? Two years left of his contract, and his value will start to reduce, unless of course he has a stormer this season. Do you gamble on that or look to sell (which may have been what we were trying to do - who knows)

I'll have a go.  Apparently he's on 30k a week at the moment - I'd have no problems upping that to 65k and an extension of 3 years (so I suppose technically that's a 5 year deal).  Probably makes him a bit more difficult to sell but would hope that's about where he is in terms of what he's worth.  I think he's a decent player anyway although appreciate not everyone agrees. 

If he doesn't sign then I guess could probably go a bit higher but it's difficult to know what other players are on our radar and who would be likely to come.  I don't know what other players are on or what kind of money we have to spare so makes it a bit difficult to answer.  I think Che is important to us and there's every chance that we could replace him with worse so, yeah, keep him and give him a new contract, there's your answer (well, my opinion anyway). 

It seems to mw that we have 3 categories of players.

Players we want to keep.

Players we would sell if a very good offer came in

Players we would like to move on.

Which category each player is in is only known by the club.

The media speculate , often based on what is not said or interpretation of what is said and mostly get it wrong. 

Agents will try to offer players to other clubs,  but it all depends on which group they are in whether a transfer is possible. 

Of course circumstances can change , as can the resolve of the club, and the categories might be quite fluid but very little of what we read can be taken as true.

5 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Players we want to keep.

The media speculate , often based on what is not said or interpretation of what is said and mostly get it wrong. 

Agents will try to offer players to other clubs,  but it all depends on which group they are in whether a transfer is possible. 

Of course circumstances can change , as can the resolve of the club, and the categories might be quite fluid but very little of what we read can be taken as true.

Surely that's the case at any club?

• Like 3

Just now, Baird of the land said:

I’d definitely prefer to keep Stu over elyounessi. If someone came in with a very good bid then I could perhaps understand losing him at this point.

Anyone who would prefer to keep Ely over Stu is either mentally ill or a skate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

Anyone who would prefer to keep Ely over Stu is either mentally ill or a skate.

Would go as far as prefer but I can see Ely is more reliable for team shape, possession etc.  

Personally think Redmond may offer marginally better balance of all three,  but this shows how week we are in this role.   

• Confused 1

I think people are seriously overreacting to the Armstrong stuff, it was a throw away comment in a tweet that we may listen to offers. It doesn't mean we've said he can leave and are actively pushing him out of the door.

You’ll see so much stuff like this in the final week of the window, and I’d say maybe 5% (maybe less) is total bollocks and just created to drive up interest in tabloids and the chuckle brothers on SSN.

I'm not surprised to see a certain poster getting his knickers in a twist over it though.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Players we want to keep.

You should be on Sky Sports mate - that level of analysis is seriously lacking in their coverage.