The Athletic article about Saints' mystery injuries around 60mins

Saint NL

Well...  let's not pretend Saints are alone using such a tactic...if indeed they do.

Fans will recall the notorious home game  v.  Wolves  in September '21....

(we lost 0-1 despite having more possession and more shots 18-5).

In the last 30 minutes, Wolves players were dropping like flies (the game ran to 97 minutes) 

and what had been a big Saints superiority was disturbed by successive stoppages.  

The other point ....  (naturally enough)... is not everyone can run for 45+ minutes without a break,

and not every club  has a Ward-Prowse, who never seems to stop and regularly clocks up more

distance than the rest of  " the Prem. World."   Not everyone is a robot, and some can't run at all. 

I see no reason why ...a 60 second  " water break / Covid pause ... (call it what you will) couldn't 

be incorporated into the playing time and used as a time for subs. to come on en masse.. instead

of  the continual  stop / starts every few minutes which interrupts the flow of play.

IF.. this " accusation "  proves to be correct, will we see Referees being told to book players for 

feigning injury, along with time-wasting  and "diving " in the penalty area.?  

I can’t imagine it’s as much of a secret as we think it is, I think a commentator referenced it during a game not too long ago as something he’d noticed. However, it does seem a bit of a weird thing for a Saints reporter to write about, given it’s quite clearly a tactic rather than coincidence. 

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Was called out here weeks ago. Annoying that the athletic have grassed it up though. Although I’m sure other clubs didn’t miss the fact the players were taking in gels etc.

I thought this, I bet the club are absolutely delighted that Sheldon keeps banging on about it. 

The trouble is, Sheldon is a bit of a dud and his content is pretty average, so a little scoop like this I’ve no doubt is his Crown Jewels. 

The magic sponge/spray didn’t gain its title because it’s actually magic…

This isn’t a revolutionary thing and I could write the same article about the other 19 Premier League clubs and feigning injuries. We see it every week as fans and always have done in the modern game.

We’ve just been taken over… Surely there’s something more interesting to write about?

21 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Does the article actually delve into the circumstances for each player who went down? How many of the 14 were impact injuries from opponents?

What do you mean exactly by impact injuries?  Can we objectively define if the impact is sufficient for the need of medical attention?  How certain are we that the player is not already managing an injury that the impact was on and if so, what is the scale of that injury and what value of impact is required for it to then require medical attention?  With that in mind, if the answer is 10 how the f**k does that help you, exactly? 

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

An injury caused by the opponent and therefore less likely to be Saints playing for a break and a chat between 60 and 70 mins.

No analysis is required here.  I appreciate subjectivity is your idea of hell but it's all around us or so I believe.

It's clearly a tactic, we are not alone in applying it.  Klippety and others have been doing it for ages.

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

No analysis is required here.  I appreciate subjectivity is your idea of hell but it's all around us or so I believe.

It's clearly a tactic, we are not alone in applying it.  Klippety and others have been doing it for ages.

Which has also been acknowledged by Frank Lampard in his press conference today 

I cant imagine why the FA would be interested in our scientifically informed use of gel packs etc. other than perhaps to guide other clubs at various levels in the pyramid on best practice. The FA has no role in the way clubs in the Premier League behave other than when they have to deal with disciplinary issues brought to their attention by match officials. As you say they should concentrate on their actual role - such as dealing with the mobbing of referees and the constant whining to refs. Those are disciplinary issues. 

Portsmouth's finest reporter on Saints, Dan Sheldon, has had the effect he wanted with his article in The Athletic. He's also circulated it to a lot of national newspapers. Was it also him who spread the recent stories about Ted Bates' statue? 

"Frank Lampard comments on controversial Southampton move with FA keeping tabs"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/frank-lampard-southampton-everton-t

[Post edited 17 Feb 18:10]
Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Nordic Saint said:

Portsmouth's finest reporter on Saints, Dan Sheldon, has had the effect he wanted with his article in The Athletic:

"Frank Lampard comments on controversial Southampton move with FA keeping tabs"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/frank-lampard-southampton-everton-t

[Post edited 17 Feb 18:10]

Wtf? Players have been going down for a rest since I can remember watching the game. Why are we now being focussed on?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Wtf? Players have been going down for a rest since I can remember watching the game. Why are we now being focussed on?

Because of a football reporter from Waterlooville, called Dan Sheldon, who seems to be on a campaign against Saints.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Haha 1

This was another of his recent articles:

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl to consider retiring once contract expires in 2024 - The Athletic

He sends them to all of the national papers and they do seem to get quite a lot of coverage, as any negative gossip about a football club is always welcome.

Edited by Nordic Saint

1 minute ago, egg said:

Can't believe people are upset by this non story. The FA have said nothing, and won't be able to stop players going down and staying down after getting a whack. 

And as mr lampard has said - it’s been going on for years - which to me means we are only playing catch up to the teams that have been doing it for years

Just now, Toadhall Saint said:

And as mr lampard has said - it’s been going on for years - which to me means we are only playing catch up to the teams that have been doing it for years

Indeed, it's been happening for years. Zero chance of doing anything about it, and proving that players are feigning. 

The bottom line must be to anyone who hasnt cancelled this athletic subscription scam to do so asap

Dan Sheldon shouldnt be allowed anywhere near St Marys, clear grass, mugging us off to the nationals with this revalation.

I dont care if other clubs do it, you dont have grass journalists like him around st marys.  Hes a total wazzock 

Edited by SaintsLoyal
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Diving to gain a goal scoring opportunity has been a problem in this sport for decades and nothing of substance has been done about it. Think this little titbit will be filed under the 'mildly interesting' category in similar fashion to how it was received back in the autumn, and those outside our catchment area bubble will move on swiftly to other matters.

As for The Athletic, whether you care for them or not, now that the NYT have acquired them (overshadowed by Wordle lol) I expect it won't be too long before they will start swinging the axe on the less popular sections of their site, which will no doubt include reporting on the likes of us.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

I'd never really had an issue with Dan (other than the obvious drop off in quality/communication since Carl left) but I just can't possibly see the point of this article?

How is 14/24 (approximately 58%) of games where a notoriously high pressing team pick up an injury in that time frame news worthy? We've actually scored 5 goals past the 70th minute this season, only Burnley and Norwich have fewer so it begs the question even further what was the point?

Really strange behaviour trying to dig out the team you're meant to be making engaging content for. I'm sure you could spot similar patterns in other teams in the league (Wolves in particular), but nobody would waste their time on such shite. Drawn the short straw with this bloke looking at the other clubs representatives.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

I've always found Sheldons features/articles a bit... ''well, yeah I knew that....why did I just read this for 5 mins? I've learned nothing new''

Carl Anka was on a different level with his content.

On this specific one it's another non article with means nothing and tells us nothing new, as clubs have been doing this for all time. Why our own reporter has decided to specifically name and shame us is beyond me though.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

Does this Dan guy ever have anything positive to say about Saints? I don't understand why he was employed at the Athletic to cover us. Surely no Southampton fans are interested in his negative, low quality articles? I cancelled my subscription months ago.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1