Saints Kits Season 2022/23

Master Bates

13 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

image.thumb.jpeg.efca491678fc2beb19c1e510231dda0b.jpeg 

Pretty awful, looks like a non-league kit. Concept isn’t too bad, but Hummel have made a total and utter hash of the actual design.

Even this could have been improved with a few tweaks - would have preferred a v-neck and collar, and thin red panels on the sides would have helped too. Very poor. 

• Like 1

It's... OK. It looks a bit like you're wearing a white shirt over a red t shirt, but I quite like the geometry style pattern rather than just plain white. I actually prefer red-dominated shirts (or 50/50) although the 125 year Sash was my favourite shirt which contradicts that, but this is... OK. I usually get one of the shirts for Christmas from the missus so I await to see what the others look like.

12 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

Pretty awful, looks like a non-league kit. Concept isn’t too bad, but Hummel have made a total and utter hash of the actual design.

Even this could have been improved with a few tweaks - would have preferred a v-neck and collar, and thin red panels on the sides would have helped too. Very poor. 

It's crying out for more red.

New kit.jpg

New kit 2.jpg

• Like 10

2 hours ago, tunit said:

Yeah but staggered with the away kit. So we're getting a new kit each year but keeping the kit for two years.

They used to do that, but it caused issues when sponsors/kit manufacturers changed. You could put a new sponsor on an old shirt, but the sponsors don't like that.

30 minutes ago, aintforever said:

New kit.jpg

New kit 2.jpg

The second of these two would be great. Just that lil touch of red, it’s stripes but not stripes! That looks good. Why can’t whoever decided on what we now have see it? So Simple. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

We seem to have a mixed identity when it comes to kits. We're obviously not the only club that are in this position.

Personally, I would love to see us permanently adopt the sash to set us apart from everyone else.

Dunno, I kind of like the idea of changing it up. I’m not a big fan of stripes, though the 1989/90 stripes kit was one of our best ever. I’m in favour of mixing it each year with a sash, rank xerox, halves, quarters, or something new like this year. Also would be good to see if Hummel do something with the 1976 home kit, that was a very decent non-traditional stripes effort.

Barcelona do this, IMO very well.

DA84-C786-6398-4-BB1-8-C82-26116-DD72594

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Dunno, I kind of like the idea of changing it up. I’m not a big fan of stripes, though the 1989/90 stripes kit was one of our best ever. I’m in favour of mixing it each year with a sash, rank xerox, halves, quarters, or something new like this year. Also would be good to see if Hummel do something with the 1976 home kit, that was a very decent non-traditional stripes effort.

Haven't Hummell already hinted at the 76 style candy stripes are due for a revival?
I'm with you, really like mixing it up, evenly sized stripes are my probably my least favourite (and isn't there a stat about no-one in stripes having won the league or cup for ages?

Liking the Barcelona variations, my favourite is #24, pretty much what we have now without the fading, would love us in a red and white#9 &  #20 as well. Just no hoops - ever!

4 hours ago, aintforever said:

New kit.jpg

New kit 2.jpg

Both are infinitely better than what they’ve produced, but #2 with some simple panelling on the sides makes it look SO much better. Why don’t they engage with fans doing these concept kits?! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

Both are infinitely better than what they’ve produced, but #2 with some simple panelling on the sides makes it look SO much better. Why don’t they engage with fans doing these concept kits?! 

For all his other criticisms, Rupert put this to the vote.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Yup Barca do it well, but then they're world class and we, ahem, aren't quite at that stage! 😃

The more I see it the more I dislike it. Can't stand the thick black stripes. The red band down the middle needs to be wider.

The 2 mock ups pictured above with the red sleeves or the red stripe under the arm look much better. 

This will be the first kit in over 30 years that I'll not order upon release.

Like others, I'll wait until it's £20 and pick one up just for the collection. I'd never wear that! 

11 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

The more I see it the more I dislike it. Can't stand the thick black stripes. The red band down the middle needs to be wider.

The 2 mock ups pictured above with the red sleeves or the red stripe under the arm look much better. 

This will be the first kit in over 30 years that I'll not order upon release.

Like others, I'll wait until it's £20 and pick one up just for the collection. I'd never wear that! 

Weird isn't it?  I think it's one of the better kits of the last 30 odd years.  Certainly better than the bra efforts, the all red thing we had when we first got promoted and the horrendous pony tick kit.  All a matter of opinion though and I virtually never buy/wear kits so doubt I'm the target demographic anyway.

• Like 1

It’s a bit like Groundhog Day here. Everyone moans because the new kit is taking a long time to be launched and then when it arrives, half think of a better design and the other half quite like it.  

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is how they perform in the pitch.  If we have a good season this kit will become legendary.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Didn't wear stripes at the start of the club and didn't wear thick stripes in their most successful decade of league football.

Does that mean as Saints fan isn't allowed to say "stripes all the way", then?

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 15:11, The Kraken said:

I'd argue that the 78-80 is the best and every shirt afterwards is an overfussy and poorer imitation. Some of the non striped shirts are absolutely horrible. Variety for sure, and the changing styles are of their moment, but shown like that, they all look pretty crap in comparison.

Barca lost something as an entity when they put a sponsor on their shirt. They were something a little different and better in my eyes...

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Never mind the kit, this bold and brave stuff is the biggest load of nonsense i ever seen, we Pay someone to come up with this crap

It's desperate and I'm not even sure this kit is `bold'. Slightly different perhaps, but bold? 

Like the previous Hummel kit, it looks cheap and a bit tacky if you ask me.

I am really disappointed in the kits so far. I thought Hummel would bring a touch of class, and solid, but inventive design, but like Under Armour, they have created a dogs dinner of a home kit. I don't know where its going wrong, maybe its design by committee, but its poor design. 

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

It's desperate and I'm not even sure this kit is `bold'. Slightly different perhaps, but bold? 

I am really disappointed in the kits so far. I thought Hummel would bring a touch of class, and solid, but inventive design, but like Under Armour, they have created a dogs dinner of a home kit. I don't know where its going wrong, maybe its design by committee, but its poor design. 

Ultimately responsibility rests with the dickhead at the club that makes the final selection, I'm pretty sure in a video released last season they said they gave the club a few designs to select from. 

Edited by Badger

12 minutes ago, Chez said:

Have to admit, I’m a little disappointed with the quality of Hummel’s output. They have done some really smart kits for other clubs last season and the one before, but ours are not IMO all that great so far. If you’re designing a shirt for a PL side it shouldn’t be a generic template, which ours don’t seem to be, and as such the sponsor application should be incorporated in the design rather than a cheap looking stick on logo. That’s the worst thing about this kit IMO. Pretty much any shirt sponsor makes the kit look worse, but just sticking it on over the design just looks like an afterthought.

Expected better from Hummel, I don’t dislike either of the Hummel home kits but I don’t much like them either.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Traditions change. Our original kit was not stripes, it doesn't always need to be stripes.

Technically the first kit of Southampton FC was stripes 😉

But I very much agree with you, it doesn’t always need to be stripes and IMO it shouldn’t be, we should mix it up a bit.

• Like 3

Have said before am all for trying now and then variations but it surely has to be striped based? Our last few efforts really have been either too fussy and red backed or nothing to do with a striped theme..  our latest is a plain white shirt with a thick red line and even that is on the front only!! Somebody actually designed it, got paid!!! Maybe black sock variation might just save it this season but poor IMO.. 

From the super Kitclassics....

southampton.png

Personal favourites are... 1980-85 away, 1980-84 home, 1987-89 home, 1885-87 home, 2018-2020 3rd, 2013-14 home.

When I'm not keen on one of the non stripe ones, stripes would do fine, even though they aren't among my favourites.

As 87-89 has similarities to the 1894-96 kit, I'd like to see what Hummel could do with our 1891-94 shirt.

I'm hoping there's a little of the 1980-85 away in this season's away kit.

6 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

southampton.png

Personal favourites are... 1980-85 away, 1980-84 home, 1987-89 home, 1885-87 home, 2018-2020 3rd, 2013-14 home.

When I'm not keen on one of the non stripe ones, stripes would do fine, even though they aren't among my favourites.

As 87-89 has similarities to the 1894-96 kit, I'd like to see what Hummel could do with our 1891-94 shirt.

The bottom 4 rows cover us to 2010....the rest covers our entire history. Highlights the absolute piss take of regular kit changes. 

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The bottom 4 rows cover us to 2010....the rest covers our entire history. Highlights the absolute piss take of regular kit changes. 

Kit changes once a year doesn’t bother me too much, but I don’t buy the kit so it doesn’t affect me much. I think it could perhaps be shifted so that the home kit stays the same for two years, so does the away kit (but the change happens in an alternate year to the home change so between them there’s one change a season) and the third kit can change every year. A small number of clubs this season have kept last seasons kit so as to get in line with cost of living. Wouldn’t be a bad thing going forward.

11 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

southampton.png

You should have seen the message boards and Twitter in 1896. Absolute outrage.

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

You should have seen the message boards and Twitter in 1896. Absolute outrage.

Sadly my Victorian chaperone wouldn't let me join the "No To Stripes!" protest marches. Although I read in the Boy's Own Paper that the Saints fans, correctly dressed in half or quarters shirts, who chained themselves to railings would go onto inspire the suffragettes.

• Haha 1

In order to rip off the gullible fans they produce three new kits every season !

Because of this, they basically have to change the designs otherwise people would perhaps stick with an old one if it was too similar !

There are certain criteria which are essential (ie. colours - red/white/black, PL badge, sponsors name) but beyond that there are limited possibilities for designers to play around with !

They always come up with something and supporters air their views for better or worse but often 50/50 as it is totally subjective and very much a matter of personal taste !

The club will add an element of bullshit to sell as many as possible (this year it is "bravery') but essentially it's just a marketing excercise to make money and nothing else !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Never mind the kit, this bold and brave stuff is the biggest load of nonsense i ever seen, we Pay someone to come up with this crap

That's a bold statement to make.  And very brave of you to post it on here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1