Pre Season 22/23

EBS1980

15 hours ago, LGTL said:

No matter the question, Adam Armstrong has never, and will never, be the answer. 

Disasterous signing. 

Hardly a disastrous signing. 

28 goals in his previous season in a league more competitive that played in by any of the players we've signed this summer. Let's see if we sign anyone with a comparable goal record this year.

Last season we needed a goalscorer and he was one. Is one.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 6

16 hours ago, LGTL said:

No matter the question, Adam Armstrong has never, and will never, be the answer. 

Disasterous signing. 

I always remember Liverpool signing Dean Saunders who thrived on the counter attack running onto through balls , unfortunately Liverpool did not play that style so he didn’t last long there !

2 hours ago, SaintBitterne said:

This thread is very funny😆Dread to think what it would have been like if we had similar results to Everton or Brentford over the past few days

Fans have every right to express their concerns - one goal in 3 games plus very few clear chances created is not what you want with just two weeks until our opening match against Spurs. So far we have shown few signs that we have fixed the problems we saw in the run-in last season and all the indications point to us making the usual very slow start again. Hope Ralph, coaches and players prove me wrong and I do get the fact that these are only friendlies but I did expect to see more from us than I have. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Dman said:

We are worryingly shit 2 weeks out from the start of the season. Young lads will be lambs to the slaughter come the game against Tottenham. 

In short, can’t see hassenhuttl lasting any more than 10 games. 

Gone by xmas - the man is past his sell-by date at saints

After signing Adams and Armstrong - 2 very good championship strikers - we need to spend big money on more.  Because Ralph is unable to get a tune out of them really.  Unable to get a note out of Armstrong!

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 25/07/2022 at 11:35, Wsaint said:

Going to the Monaco game on Wednesday, looks like trains won't be an option so where's good to park? Haven't been in a good few years.

You can park in the Westquay open carpark (by Furniture Village, etc.) from 7pm, (they charge til 8 but you can grab a free hour ticket from 7)

Poorly priced for a friendly - £15 + £1.50 booking fee, goes up to £20 tomorrow. Not expecting too many walk-ups at that price.

Edited by alehouseboys
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

You can park in the Westquay open carpark (by Furniture Village, etc.) from 7pm, (they charge til 8 but you can grab a free hour ticket from 7)

Poorly priced for a friendly - £15 + £1.50 booking fee, goes up to £20 tomorrow. Not expecting too many walk-ups at that price.

I received a Code from Hants Cricket for £5 discount on pre-season matches. Don't know if it works - feel free to give it a go. 

Code is ABFRI 

Edited by Gru
clarify
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

I agree,  price it like they do for women's games, should be £1 for kids, £5 adults, looks like we'll have 7 or 8k there tomorrow night , train strike won't help but shame really 

43 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

So don’t get the logic tomorrow can sit in my ST seat but Saturday have to move to Itchen

Me neither. We are going tomorrow night but are giving Saturday a miss. Our tickets got changed to the Itchen last year and after enduring the first game I got a refund for the second. Couldn't see anything.

3 hours ago, Gru said:

I received a Code from Hants Cricket for £5 discount on pre-season matches. Don't know if it works - feel free to give it a go. 

Code is ABFRI 

Code works, nice one Gru

Edited by bpsaint

On 24/07/2022 at 08:13, CB Fry said:

Hardly a disastrous signing. 

28 goals in his previous season in a league more competitive that played in by any of the players we've signed this summer. Let's see if we sign anyone with a comparable goal record this year.

Last season we needed a goalscorer and he was one. Is one.

Surely the quality of a signing is based on what he has acheived at his current club, not what he did in the past. 2 goals from 28 league and cup appearances from a striker is pretty disastrous.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Likely we'll see Mateusz Lis play in goal tonight and Willy Caballero at the weekend? Only fair to give all four of them a game. Results don't matter so much as game time.

Do you not think in the final two games of pre-season giving more time for the 1st choice keeper with the 1st choice defence is more beneficial than the 3rd and 4th choice keepers playing? I'd guess Bazunu will be 1st choice, so he should really play in at least one of the games if not both.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Do you not think in the final two games of pre-season giving more time for the 1st choice keeper with the 1st choice defence is more beneficial than the 3rd and 4th choice keepers playing? I'd guess Bazunu will be 1st choice, so he should really play in at least one of the games if not both.

I would think you are more likely to see the 1st choice line up Saturday than you are tonight.

49 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Likely we'll see Mateusz Lis play in goal tonight and Willy Caballero at the weekend? Only fair to give all four of them a game. Results don't matter so much as game time.

We don't need to give either of them game time to prepare for them to maybe sit on the bench for a league cup match.

Its not about being fair, we're not running a youth club team.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

In principle 'yes' but with so many newcomers to the squad will RH really know what his likely starting XI is likely to be?

Bazunu carries the hopes and expectations of a large number of fans but in fairness we have not seen Lis in action for 90 mins;  he could be at least as good as the youngster.

With just two pre season friendlies to go we need to see the intensity ramping up. No point strolling around in these two matches and then expect to hit the ground running against Spurs. We should be seeing signs that the starting line up is taking shape and beginning to gel. I'm hoping for a more dynamic approach, would like to see us getting the ball forward much quicker, pressing high up the pitch, creating some presentable chances and scoring some goals. 

19 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

In principle 'yes' but with so many newcomers to the squad will RH really know what his likely starting XI is likely to be?

Bazunu carries the hopes and expectations of a large number of fans but in fairness we have not seen Lis in action for 90 mins;  he could be at least as good as the youngster.

Lis has been signed to be 4th choice/loaned out. We don't need him to be ready to play vs Spurs.

Bazunu has been told he is going to be playing PL games for us, not play second fiddle to anyone. That is the sales pitch we've given Bazunu, Lavia, Bella-Kotchap etc.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Caballero played 90 minutes for the B team last Saturday.

If we're going to line up with 3 midfielders and 3 attackers, I'd like to see Stuart Armstrong as an 8 alongside JWP with Lavia/Romeu behind. Just think we struggle to create chances without a link between attack and defence, and SA is great at picking it up deep and making yards.

looking forward to seeing the new lads play tonight but please not Lis.

Monaco have played more pre-season games than us and have had a good pre-season so far and will be more than a good test for us. I don't want to see RH dicking about with formations and experimental positioning of players 2 games before the season starts. He should know what formation he is going with by now and know who his starting 11 are. Give them the minutes they need.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Who else is going along tonight? Quite looking forward to seeing how some of the new lads look.

Yeah I drove down and am staying over so I can have a few beers. Very much enjoying the childless peace whilst currently sitting in O’Neills. Kids wanted to go Saturday so I’m solo tonight!

Weird team. Bazunu keeps dropping in and out of the match squads, neither centre-back you'd want starting against Tottenham and I thought Redmond's days were done here, despite rating higher than Elyonoussi. Overriding positive is Perraud's playing and it's only pre-season. 

1 minute ago, HarvSFC said:

Weird team. Bazunu keeps dropping in and out of the match squads, neither centre-back you'd want starting against Tottenham and I thought Redmond's days were done here, despite rating higher than Elyonoussi. Overriding positive is Perraud's playing and it's only pre-season. 

We have a game on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Who else is going along tonight? Quite looking forward to seeing how some of the new lads look.

Hard luck, none of them are playing. Only 3 even on the bench. What a strange preseason game, you would expect them to want to integrate the new guys as much as possible.

Edited by VectisSaint