Romeo Lavia - Official: Signs for Not Liverpool

Saint Garrett

https://theathletic.com/news/southampton-close-to-completing-romeo-lavia-deal/JeEBru3A4gk4/

JeEBru3A4gk4_JeEBru3A4gk4_Unphm2GIMeJe_o

Southampton are close to completing a deal to sign Manchester City teenager Romeo Lavia, The Athletic understands.

The Athletic reported earlier this month that Southampton and Leeds United were both interested in the 18-year-old but it is understood Ralph Hasenhuttl's side have won the race to sign the midfielder.

Manchester City were reluctant to let him depart, but view a potential deal as a way to offset their move for Leeds midfielder Kalvin Phillips. City will have the option to buy back Lavia.

Lavia, who plays as a holding midfielder, is well regarded at the Etihad and some at the club believe he will one day be at the required level to play in their first team.

The Belgian made his senior debut for Pep Guardiola’s side in last season’s Carabao Cup against Wycombe Wanderers and also featured in the FA Cup.

Southampton have already signed goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu for £12 million from Manchester City, although that could rise to around £15 million if potential add-ons are met.

Goalkeeper Mateusz Lis and defender Armel Bella-Kotchap have also sealed moves to St Mary's.

Joe Shields, Manchester City's head of recruitment and talent management, is also expected to make the switch to Southampton as the south coast side's new head of recruitment.

Talks to hire Shields are progressing well and he could join before the transfer window ends.

He will replace Martyn Glover, who is joining Leicester City.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 3

We need a true CDM alongside JWP. Don't know much about this lad other than city rate him highly, their fans seemed miffed about him leaving and the secret scout on twitter stated city were signing the most in demand youth midfielder in Europe when they signed him from Anderlecht back in 2020.

On paper seems ideal signing. 

Be nice to compliment these youthful signings with a bit of experience. Young players will be inconsistent so we need to make sure that when they are that the team can still find ways to win. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

He was in the City U18 side that played against Everton in the FA youth cup last year so my nephew will know him. I'll drop him a message to ask about him. He was absolutely right about Tino after all.

Got a reply already...

image.png.cf7849530e3a87d20fb551e9107e6c61.png

• Like 12

47 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He won't be starting, he'll be competing/rotating with Romeu. Its possible he falls behind Diallo at times next season. He's only 18. 

I thought that about Tino last year, wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s straight in. 

• Like 2

We absolutely needed another player who can play DM, as the amount of times we had to drop Stu there last season was silly.

I see our options as JWP/Diallo and Romeu/Lavia at this point. I really wanted us to sign somebody to push Romeu and based on the City reaction to the deal, they seem to believe that's pretty likely.

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

We absolutely needed another player who can play DM, as the amount of times we had to drop Stu there last season was silly.

I see our options as JWP/Diallo and Romeu/Lavia at this point. I really wanted us to sign somebody to push Romeu and based on the City reaction to the deal, they seem to believe that's pretty likely.

Romeu and Romeo 🤪

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Appy said:

I thought that about Tino last year, wouldn’t surprise me at all if he’s straight in. 

All well and good, but I thought it was bizarre how often Tino was played last season given his age and look how that turned out. These lads need some protection and bring along in a way that takes into account their age. I wouldn't expect an 18 yr old to be a mainstay of the team straight away. Would have thought he'll supplement Romeu. We'll see

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

He won't be starting, he'll be competing/rotating with Romeu. Its possible he falls behind Diallo at times next season. He's only 18. 

Why do people have a fixation on age?  If you're good enough, you're old enough surely?  Verstappen was 18 when he won his first Grands Prix.

4 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why do people have a fixation on age?  If you're good enough, you're old enough surely?  Verstappen was 18 when he won his first Grands Prix.

Obviously though at 18, no player has ever been in their prime or close to it. Some things just come with experience and I think that's why people are worried. Not me, from what I can see he's quality.

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Obviously though at 18, no player has ever been in their prime or close to it. Some things just come with experience and I think that's why people are worried. Not me, from what I can see he's quality.

Boris Becker won Wimbledon aged 17.

Like I said, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Being older doesn't always make you 'better' (Shane Long).

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Boris Becker won Wimbledon aged 17.

Like I said, if you're good enough, you're old enough.

Being older doesn't always make you 'better' (Shane Long).

And as others have alluded to already, youthful energy is more desirable than experience in the system that Ralph wants to play anyway. Older, wiser players don't necessarily fit the model so well.

This guy is an enormous talent, City just don't have space for him and now they've gone and signed Phillips. By all accounts they didn't want to sell him, but it seems as if the player now feels he's ready to make his mark at a club.

I thought this would only ever be a loan, but to be getting him permanently is very, very impressive.

25 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This guy is an enormous talent, City just don't have space for him and now they've gone and signed Phillips. By all accounts they didn't want to sell him, but it seems as if the player now feels he's ready to make his mark at a club.

I thought this would only ever be a loan, but to be getting him permanently is very, very impressive.

There will surely be a buy back clause. In many ways this sort of deal works better than loan deals

Love how people quote world class performers like Boris Becker. I wonder how many other 17/18 year olds burnt out and never made it or took 5 /6 more years to reach the top if they ever did.

I don't expect an 18 year old to come into this struggling team, hit the ground running and consistently produce, especially if he isn't the only young player we'll have in the team.

Him and Romeu could work well together with Romeu being a good mentor.

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It makes me wonder though, is this guy 1/2 as good as Phillips then? Trying to gauge how good he is or else surely City would have wanted him as their 2nd choice DM.

It's a win-win for them too really, if he turns out a Championship player then they make £10m, if he is a world beater than they get him for £50m-ish which is nothing for them.

I wonder why they wouldn't want to take a Broja route and just loan him to us unless there is more in the offing

Just now, nta786 said:

It makes me wonder though, is this guy 1/2 as good as Phillips then? Trying to gauge how good he is or else surely City would have wanted him as their 2nd choice DM.

It's a win-win for them too really, if he turns out a Championship player then they make £10m, if he is a world beater than they get him for £50m-ish which is nothing for them.

I wonder why they wouldn't want to take a Broja route and just loan him to us unless there is more in the offing

Broja had just signed a 6 year contract so Chelsea were under no pressure to sell, Lavia only has a year left on his contract and doesn’t seem to want to extend so a loan seems pointless for City

5 minutes ago, nta786 said:

It's the contract situation which has seemingly driven the sale, so this was their last chance to get some sort of fee. This is how the big clubs work though isn't it, they prefer to buy the oven ready players as they can't be arsed to wait for 'potential'.

If we had mega owners we could probably go and buy all the ready made players, but we don't, so this is the next best option for us. The most talented youth players, maturing together at similar ages could be a proper masterstroke. We do still need some experience though.

23 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's the contract situation which has seemingly driven the sale, so this was their last chance to get some sort of fee. This is how the big clubs work though isn't it, they prefer to buy the oven ready players as they can't be arsed to wait for 'potential'.

If we had mega owners we could probably go and buy all the ready made players, but we don't, so this is the next best option for us. The most talented youth players, maturing together at similar ages could be a proper masterstroke. We do still need some experience though.

Yes, when this is completed, city will have got around £40m for players who never play for them. (inc the players to Leeds?)

Business model right there

Edited by AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Yeah right.  Just like they didn’t want to sell Gunn.

2 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

And all the others that have been a rip roaring success.

Balance is all wrong if we just continue to buy promise over experience.

Broja and Livramento weren't just promise, they were already good enough. Perhaps the club think Lavia, Bazunu and Bella-Kotchap are aswell.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Romeo Lavia - Official: Signs for Not Liverpool