Joe Aribo

Matthew Le God

Looks a decent signing on paper - best case scenario he has a decent couple of years here then gets snapped up by one of the big 6. Worst case he’s another Djenepo.

The cynic in me is curious why Gerrard  didn’t try to take him to Villa if he was that good and the price that low 🤔

2 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Looks a decent signing on paper - best case scenario he has a decent couple of years here then gets snapped up by one of the big 6. Worst case he’s another Djenepo.

The cynic in me is curious why Gerrard  didn’t try to take him to Villa if he was that good and the price that low 🤔

Because they have McGin, Countinho, Leon Bailey and Buendia for starters?

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

Just now, bpsaint said:

Probably because Aston Villa already spent circa £100m on attacking midfielders, Emi Buendía, Leon Bailey and Philippe Coutinho. That doesn't mean Gerrard wouldn't have liked Aribo, just they probably feel they've spent enough already.

20 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Maybe he's quite good but not that good?

I see him being a bit like Stuart Armstrong for us - he won't get a big move but he'll be a good player for us. Hopefully

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Maybe he's quite good but not that good?

I see him being a bit like Stuart Armstrong for us - he won't get a big move but he'll be a good player for us. Hopefully

As other's have said, the only reason is because Villa already have multiple number 10's. Why would they need him? They're paying bucket loads for their existing ones as well, so they're not going to become bench players overnight.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Joe Aribo - Official: Signs 4 year contract
5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

As other's have said, the only reason is because Villa already have multiple number 10's. Why would they need him? They're paying bucket loads for their existing ones as well, so they're not going to become bench players overnight.

I still think Villa are looking for a better quality of player regardless of the fact they already have good personnel in that position.

I'm excited to watch Aribo and think he can come good but his stats are not that amazing in a weak league. He'll need time to up his game, like Armstrong did

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Interesting that he said he told Hasenhuttl his preferred position is on the right behind the striker.

Armstrong's best role too, but he is unreliable injury wise and good to have a left footed option there.

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I can already see the Mane-like pile-on when he has a couple of erratic games

It sounds like your racist, we pile on everyone if their shit and if they are not it's a fluke. No doubt you knew manea was mustard from day 1, yet you forget the reason we got him was he was raw, inconsistent and we helped him become the finished article so he could go to Liverpool. We gave him shit cos he was shit not cos he was anything else.

• Like 1

Good player at a very good price, also adds some versatility and I think he also has leadership ability too

We really are having one of our best ever windows here

It’ll be interesting to see where he is employed, I imagine either as a CM as part of a 3, or as a No.10 in either a 4222 or 433

Either way Im really impressed with this buy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

He talks about Southamptons history briefly in his video, then says:"it's a good plan, what's to come next".

Interest piqued.

He mentioned pushing for Europe in his interview too. Wonder if that's something that the owners are trying to aim for and have told him so. That or I'm just looking too much into and it's just his aspirations but I'm excited to see the owners plans anyway. Everything has been positive so far.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Interesting that he said he told Hasenhuttl his preferred position is on the right behind the striker.

Armstrong's best role too, but he is unreliable injury wise and good to have a left footed option there.

That’s good, can’t wait to see him spend the season on the left wing then.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Aribo was pretty average in his first season at Rangers. Better in the second season, Gerrard's last, but even better last season. Villa have a few decent attacking players already too.

3 hours ago, Dusic said:

Is Stuart Armstrong all that? I like his attitude, power running, engine etc. But he does run into blind alleys and gives the ball back. We don't win without him, but we don't win with much either.

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Is Stuart Armstrong all that? I like his attitude, power running, engine etc. But he does run into blind alleys and gives the ball back. We don't win without him, but we don't win with much either.

In comparison to our other attacking midfielders then yes he absolutely is all that. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, stknowle said:

In comparison to our other attacking midfielders then yes he absolutely is all that. 

perhaps worth its own thread...

...that's not a ringing endorsement. Our other attacking midfielders aren't exactly `above average'.  As I said, there is a stuff to like, but he is one dimensional and his output last year was shit and he deserved a bit of criticism IMO. We (fans) like him, so he got a pass, but I am racking my brain to recall stand put displays in the Prem, especially as the side struggled? We he good in our purple period? I honestly cant remember.

• Like 1

On the face of it this could be the signing of the window, but there’s reason to be wary in that it’s an incredibly low fee in relation to other deals.  The vids of his tricks etc are reason to be optimistic though.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

Jason Euell impact? 🤔 Hopefully a different Jason Euell who has the honour of being the ownly player to be given a standing ovation when he was subbed, because everyone was so relieved he had finally been taken off.

Anyway. That aside been very impressed with him everytime i've seen him, could be a great signing and a great price as well

• 2 weeks later...

Rangers fan here guys,  I'm obviously no expert and your clubs scouts etc know alot more than me about players etc.  I hope I'm wrong here but I don't think aribo will improve your starting 11, at £6 million though no one will loose sleep over it.  

He can go missing quite a bit,  like for weeks on end.  We can get away with carrying someone up here most weeks as the gap between the top 2 and the rest is huge.  It's a different scenario playing in the epl where you can't really afford passengers as it will end up with the team dropping points.  Hel find himself dropped if he doesn't get that out his game.

Really hope I get proved wrong as its benifitcial for us aswell if he does well down there.  I'm just no sure if he'd good enough for that week in week out.  Time will tell though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rfc1872 said:

Rangers fan here guys,  I'm obviously no expert and your clubs scouts etc know alot more than me about players etc.  I hope I'm wrong here but I don't think aribo will improve your starting 11, at £6 million though no one will loose sleep over it.  

He can go missing quite a bit,  like for weeks on end.  We can get away with carrying someone up here most weeks as the gap between the top 2 and the rest is huge.  It's a different scenario playing in the epl where you can't really afford passengers as it will end up with the team dropping points.  Hel find himself dropped if he doesn't get that out his game.

Really hope I get proved wrong as its benifitcial for us aswell if he does well down there.  I'm just no sure if he'd good enough for that week in week out.  Time will tell though.  

We conceded over 60 goals last season quite often the whole team disappeared especially last 14 games 🙂

• Sad 1

On 10/07/2022 at 03:30, hans gruber said:

Watched all Glasgow derbies last season. I thought Aribo looked very good and had a very good work rate. I think he will be a decent signing.

Would also take Ryan Kent in a heartbeat too.

Kents the one I'm most bothered about.  Not sure if it's going to be this season he goes,  I'm praying we get one more season out him.  He's the one player we have where on his day he makes world class players look silly.  Every team up here puts 2 on him now though.  When we play good sides in Europe and they don't dbl up on him he runs riot.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

We conceded over 60 goals last season quite often the whole team disappeared especially last 14 games 🙂

Early days yet, of course, but Aribo hasnt done anything yet to make me think he wont be anything but a bag on average player to join the growing ranks in the club.
Hopefully a bit more about him compared to Shane Long perhaps but that is not a wonderful baseline to judge.

18 minutes ago, saintant said:

Ryan Kent would be perfect as a moneyball type signing - as Ally McCoist says he just needs to improve his gaol scoring record. Very good player and well worth a punt in my opinion.

It was a friendly, but it's still real madrid.  Kent has done this against top sides in Europe in real games.  He's going into his last year now contract wise.  I'm hoping he signs and we get 1 more year out of him. Hel have a realistic buyout clause inserted as he holds the aces going in the talks with only having a year left.  

• Like 1