Liam Delap

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I did and many of us groaned every time his name was announced in the team line up. He wasn't very good, just that long throw thingy gave him a bit of publicity.

If he’s a fraction of how good his dad was for us, we’ll have a world beater.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I have to disagree over Rory. He was a decent enough player for us and when he got injured during the 2003 cup run we missed him and his energy. If my memory serves me correctly he never made the cup final and for us he was a big miss. It’s all about opinions so don’t slaughter me for having one!!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I have to disagree over Rory. He was a decent enough player for us and when he got injured during the 2003 cup run we missed him and his energy. If my memory serves me correctly he never made the cup final and for us he was a big miss. It’s all about opinions so don’t slaughter me for having one!!

He was good for us up until that injury, but was never the same player after it.

50 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

The problem he had was he was big money for us, our record signing by some distance but he wasn’t a record signing sort of player, particularly as he started out with us as a right back. Decent enough player but had that used as a stick to beat him with 

If I was weighing up the prospect of signing for a club, then saw that clubs  fans slagging my old man off on their forum, I’d probably avoid it….

Rory Delap wasn’t half as bad as some make out, his transfer price at the time meant that some of our fans expected him to be our very own Michel Platini. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bangkoksaint said:

Agree, I think he broke the same leg twice in a year, and never recovered with us. Credit to him, and even Pulis, for the fact he was able to revive his career on leaving us.

6 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

If I was weighing up the prospect of signing for a club, then saw that clubs  fans slagging my old man off on their forum, I’d probably avoid it….

Rory Delap wasn’t half as bad as some make out, his transfer price at the time meant that some of our fans expected him to be our very own Michel Platini. 

Rory struggled because of the fee, for us back in those days £4m was a hell of a lot of money and straight away the pressure was on him. He wasn't a superstar and he didn't rip up any tree's, but he wasn't Wotton levels of terrible. Because he cost so much back then I think some were expecting a refined superstar, so he always had that monkey on his back.

That's why i agree with a post further up re: the fee on such a young player. If we saddle his 19 year old son with our record transfer fee then that's heaping so much pressure onto him before he's even developed, and we all know how impatient fans are as they expect instant returns. (Pelle was given 2 games before he was booed for example).

With our model we'll never get instant returns though, not when we're signing 18/19 year old kids. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dellman said:

I hope he gets better treatment from 'fans' than Sadio Mane got, anyway Sadio gor the last laugh 100+ goals and loads of trophies with someone else

BS. i am stick of this trope - the assertion that some are above all that and everyone else is at fault.

1) Mane was a big boy - like he would even care.

2) Our fanbase is no different than any others. Supporters give stick when a player is stinking it up, they give praise him when its going well. You don't think Liverpool supporters don't do the same?

Mane got way more praise than criticism during his time here.

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dellman said:

I hope he gets better treatment from 'fans' than Sadio Mane got, anyway Sadio gor the last laugh 100+ goals and loads of trophies with someone else

Idiotic rewriting of history based on a literal handful of comments on here after one early game. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Idiotic rewriting of history based on a literal handful of comments on here after one early game. 

Maybe its not the biggest or best sample group, but Mane, Tadic and Pelle used to get abuse every week from where I was sat, for being 'gaaarbage'. Used to really p*ss me off. Some fans will never be happy unless we win the league unbeaten.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

To be fair, I remember the biggest amount of vitrol coming after a cup game away at Sheffield United (i think?), which was in November time that year.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Maybe its not the biggest or best sample group, but Mane, Tadic and Pelle used to get abuse every week from where I was sat, for being 'gaaarbage'. Used to really p*ss me off. Some fans will never be happy unless we win the league unbeaten.

When I was on the Northam, Ricky Lambert got a bit of abuse, Lazy fat bast@@@  was one comment.

Pelle got loads on here, as well as Tadic, although he got a bit less

13 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

He was you know, pretty dire. Never understood what we saw in him to justify the £4m fee.

He won't come here just because his Dad played for us either. He has a manager and agents who are probably ignorant of that kind of old school sentimentality.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair, I remember the biggest amount of vitrol coming after a cup game away at Sheffield United (i think?), which was in November time that year.

Yes it was. The whole team was shite and he missed a sitter, got back from the game and it was the day of the famous "worst player since Ali Dia" "Fuck off back to where he came from" Comments.

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Now that is some serious revisionism hypo! The doubting and criticism of mane went on for a while. But agree with others, all fanbases and a lot of fans have have players they do that to, saints aren't special in that regard. 

Doesn't matter now, but some were on his case all the time early on - every game, every mistake. I remember we played arsenal early on in his saints career - I watched it with an arsenal fan who said straight away he was quality, and we ended up discussing the negativity he got from saints fans in a mixture of amusement and bewilderment. Look back at it now, and he's probably the best attacker we've had since le tissier for me. Was a great team that, bizzare to think back and remember people were so negative about one of our best ever prem players, we'd bite someone's hand off for another mane at that kind of price! 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Personally, to give a 19year old the responsibility to score enough goals to keep us in the PL is ridiculous.

It seems we have all of a sudden thought that we can turn 19year olds into seasoned pros in a few months. We need a proven goalscorer, who is powerful enough to stand up to the nous of PL defenders. 19yr old footballers are decent but most are out of their depth until they are in their mid 20's and the majority fade away and never make it.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yes it was. The whole team was shite and he missed a sitter, got back from the game and it was the day of the famous "worst player since Ali Dia" "Fuck off back to where he came from" Comments.

He was pretty awful up until that point. Then we played Chelsea at home, and he took the piss out of John Terry, and then went to the ACON. There is no doubt someof our fans were OTT with comments regarding him, but he did look miles out of his depth at the start of that season.  Some patience was definitely needed.

• Like 2

All this talk of hatred aimed at players is almost entirely just internet stuff that I doubt they themselves even read, let alone cared about. In the whole time I’ve been going to saints matches I’ve seen very little abuse aimed at someone actually playing in a Saints shirt. A few groans when they do something sh*t, for sure but hardly anything I’d call actual abuse.

Puncheon got a bit in League 1 but even he admitted a few years later that his own attitude was way off. Kelvin got some stick at Wednesday one year, having just let in five and there was the whole Boruc/water bottle incident.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It was a midweek game a week before Christmas, 5-6,000 had travelled north, most of us had probably suffered the same gridlocked M1 getting there and we’d just been knocked out by a League One side. He came over to the fans at the end and faced the vitriol, others were at least as guilty but he copped the collective angst. Probably made it easier for him to fook off to the scousers.

Just now, alehouseboys said:

It was a midweek game a week before Christmas, 5-6,000 had travelled north, most of us had probably suffered the same gridlocked M1 getting there and we’d just been knocked out by a League One side. He came over to the fans at the end and faced the vitriol, others were at least as guilty but he copped the collective angst. Probably made it easier for him to fook off to the scousers.

Yep i was there, we were shite, typical gutless Saints cup performance when we had, on paper, an easy route to the semi final. Didn't Sheffield United also have about 6 first teamers out? Mane copped it but they were all equally as bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Now that is some serious revisionism hypo! The doubting and criticism of mane went on for a while. But agree with others, all fanbases and a lot of fans have have players they do that to, saints aren't special in that regard. 

Totally agree and I was one of them. I was pretty happy when Mane went. Shows what I know but I'm not afraid to admit it. He was pretty dreadful for large parts of that Koeman season. So were many of the players. I remember slagging off lots of performances. We could/should have got Europe that season. When we were on it we were great. But we were off it for almost the whole middle third of the season.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

All this talk of hatred aimed at players is almost entirely just internet stuff that I doubt they themselves even read, let alone cared about. In the whole time I’ve been going to saints matches I’ve seen very little abuse aimed at someone actually playing in a Saints shirt. A few groans when they do something sh*t, for sure but hardly anything I’d call actual abuse.

Puncheon got a bit in League 1 but even he admitted a few years later that his own attitude was way off. Kelvin got some stick at Wednesday one year, having just let in five and there was the whole Boruc/water bottle incident.

Ricardo Fuller didn't get much love at St.Marys. He's the only one that really stands out as getting a real hard time from his own fans in my time watching.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

There was also Man U home. He definitely settled and got better after Xmas, Tadic was flying in his first season which didn’t help Sadio but you could see the potential that emerged. He still ripped Arsenal a new one in the League Cup game and it was only really the Sheffield Cup game and MU where there was moaning on here. He allegedly had some falling out with Ronald about timekeeping etc. 

59 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Austin certainly got some abuse in the away end, and rightly so, for his pitiful display at Craven Cottage.

a few drinks, attending the game and seeing a complete lack of effort are not a good mix for `balanced and measured' comments from fans.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yep i was there, we were shite, typical gutless Saints cup performance when we had, on paper, an easy route to the semi final. Didn't Sheffield United also have about 6 first teamers out? Mane copped it but they were all equally as bad.

also attended. Big Saints following, big expectation, woeful display.

Mane was rubbish and you wondered what the hell we had bought, but the likes of Fonte and Gardos were equally poor. We played Bertrand in midfield and he was crap too. I think Mayuka and Isgrove came on and were even worse than the starters. It was a complete and utter shit show both from players and management. 

I think criticism was right. They were outworked and outplayed by a league 1 side. There was absolutely no quality shown by any player. The skill/forward players were just a waste of space. They looked like the league 1 players...at best.

I don't dare look at what I posted about Mane. He didnt look like a Prem footballer that night, thats for sure. I was seething afterwards too. I suspect I gave plenty of players stick on here though. It wasn't just Mane. Gardos...jesus, fucking useless.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Austin certainly got some abuse in the away end, and rightly so, for his pitiful display at Craven Cottage.

a few drinks, attending the game and seeing a complete lack of effort are not a good mix for `balanced and measured' comments from fans.

TBF I think he might have had a few jars himself before that ‘performance’.

• Like 1

Was chatting to a United fan over the weekend and discussing the signing of young talent. He mentioned Rooney being the obvious success at their place and that it was a no brainer decision to sign him as he was a rare talent, but pointed out that he had played well over 50 games for them showing that talent off. The flip side of the coin was Amad Diallo, who had only played three or four games for Atalanta before United spent £25m (and a huge amount of add ons) and he obviously has yet to shine.  I think both were 19?, so both young, but with very different amount of senior experience.  I find it hard to get my head around United spending that much on a player with s few games...and not being immediately brilliant after making the move.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

TBF I think he might have had a few jars himself before that ‘performance’.

It was like he had just eaten a massive Sunday roast and needed an hour and a half to `walk it off'

• Like 1

I agree Rory wasn’t a record signing sort of player - but that was more to do with our spending rather than any problem on his part.

It was pretty much the going rate for a solid reasonable proven premiership player who still had age on his side. Exactly the sort of player we rarely sign because they are too expensive for us. 

I think we got what we paid for. 

Probably doesn’t even come close to any list of our worst record signings. 

On 23/07/2022 at 18:12, Matthew Le God said:

Rory Delap - Southampton club record fee £4m in 2001

Liam Delap - Southampton potential club record fee £23m in 2022

I don’t want to be branded as negative, so I’ll start with a positive. Rory has aged remarkably well,  now for the elephant in the room you are all avoiding, so I am going to stick my neck out. At barely 2 foot Liam is far too small! 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t want to be branded as negative, so I’ll start with a positive. Rory has aged remarkably well,  now for the elephant in the room you are all avoiding, so I am going to stick my neck out. At barely 2 foot Liam is far too small! 

We do get them both for the £23million. We'll, until social services step in to stop Delap senior hoisting a small child in the air to win headers at corners. Unsurprisingly the FA will remain silent regarding potential concussion issues. 🙂

8 hours ago, jabei said:

Totally agree and I was one of them. I was pretty happy when Mane went. Shows what I know but I'm not afraid to admit it. He was pretty dreadful for large parts of that Koeman season. So were many of the players. I remember slagging off lots of performances. We could/should have got Europe that season. When we were on it we were great. But we were off it for almost the whole middle third of the season.

I always liked Mane. He was a player that always looked like he could create something out of nothing,

I never understood why some didn’t rate him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I always liked Mane. He was a player that always looked like he could create something out of nothing,

I never understood why some didn’t rate him.

Because a hefty portion of our fans are morons. 

• Like 5

On 23/07/2022 at 13:12, Matthew Le God said:

Rory Delap - Southampton club record fee £4m in 2001

Liam Delap - Southampton potential club record fee £23m in 2022

The thing i like about this photo is that it looks like Rory is winding up for another long throw and is about to launch Liam into orbit

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Kelvin was awful that day in one of the worst saints displays I’ve ever seen he stood out for all the wrong reasons. The goals were incredibly soft and when the fans gave him stick he gave us the bird. I never rated him as a keeper and still haven’t forgiven him for that attitude moment.

Back on topic I would love to see Delap here but record transfer fee’s for youth prospects is a gamble to far for me. If we are talking mega bucks it should be a loan with an option otherwise we could easily be stuck with a crazy expensive asset on high wages we can’t shift for 5 years.

Edited by a1ex2001