Liam Delap

Matthew Le God

Everyone must rate him highly all around for this sort of deal, though I'd reckon it's probably heavily performance dependent knowing us? 

What must be the buy back, I'd would have to be in the £60 million at least. 

Also think this is going to need him to want to push for this for first team football. I mean he must see Haaland, barely two years older than him and think first team football is not going to be on the horizon for a while and probably saw last year with no real strikers, but still no real opportunities as further confirmation of that. 

I wish people would stop banging on about Broja. 
he really wasn’t all that for the money it would take to get him in. 
even on loan I don’t think we would see anything spectacular. 
we were lucky for a couple of months when he could be arsed. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Absolutely spot on

• Like 9
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Sure 

as a youth striker delap looks the best youth talent striker on the market Imo. You don’t score 32 goals in 32 games by accident, his goal record was above broja’s in youth football.

when he got on fringes of city team he scored a great goal in cup , he’s big, not slow for a big man packs a shot and great movement.

Joe shields also knows all about him if he’s convinced delap is say as good as broja or even close to this looks a mint signing..

im not the type that gets happy over every signing mara looks kinda meh for me but I think delap can be a absolute superb signing 

The things you look for in trying to figure out whether a young striker can succeed at a higher level are his standard of control in tight spaces, his awareness of those around him (whether he's giving or receiving), and his ability to strike without needing a ton of time. They are the key prerequisites for success at any level. Delap appears to tick all those boxes. We haven't had a striker who ticks all of them for a long time - and Broja didn't.

His lack of PL experience is not due to a lack of the required skills, but to being at City.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, saint lard said:

On the money there, he has an attitude problem.

From what I have seen of them Delap at around that price looks better than Broja at the price Chelsea seem to be wanting, despite Delaps lack of top flight games.

Remains to be seen if that bid gets accepted though. Neither Chelsea or City seem to want to sell these young strikers. In Broja's case it seems he wants to play and you wonder whether the same might true of Delap.

Also interesting who Man City's targets are this year, as they have currently reaped in quite a lot of sale proceeds with the sales of Jesus, Sterling and Zinchenko, as well as the sales of Lavia and Bazunu to us, I think their sales must be approaching £160 - 170 million, with around £120 million purchases and they don't strike me as club who will sit on unused funds. 

If they were to sell Delap to us they would be approaching £200 million in sales this summer and would have lost 4 regular players and 3 promising youngsters, with only 3 players in, maybe that is why they are reluctant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Rory Delap - Southampton club record fee £4m in 2001

Liam Delap - Southampton potential club record fee £23m in 2022

Poor little sod did well to make it to adult life with his limbs intact and without serious brain damage if his old man was using him for throw in practice as that photo suggests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Rory Delap - Southampton club record fee £4m in 2001

Liam Delap - Southampton potential club record fee £23m in 2022

getting ready to launch Liam into the pram a few gardens away.................(or should it be the prem a few years into the future).😜

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

Can shields get delap to agitate for a move to help grease the wheels #levystyle

Does feel like that's the most logical way of doing it.  City have made some good money selling youth/frindge players.

• Like 1

Given that we had a previous bid turned down (if that was true), this sounds like a new bid based on what City have hinted would be acceptable, or close to it. You don't just go putting new bids in unless you have some inkling that it will be accepted. We seem to be on good terms with City, so I imagine talks over the original bid were constructive, rather than laughed at.

• Like 3

I think that the Broja project worked very well for Chelsea and that will have an appeal to City. I would still argue that Broja (if he stays fit) could be worth 12-15 goals for us and that would keep us in the top flight so we should be pursuing that but Delap looks to be exciting. I regret now that his Dad was booed when he took the long throw ins! I hope he has an affection for our club.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Given that we had a previous bid turned down (if that was true), this sounds like a new bid based on what City have hinted would be acceptable, or close to it. You don't just go putting new bids in unless you have some inkling that it will be accepted. We seem to be on good terms with City, so I imagine talks over the original bid were constructive, rather than laughed at.

Agree with this. Shields knows the lad, he knows his parents, agent and the Man City hierarchy. I can’t see us submitting two or more bids without getting some encouragement. Wonder when we start getting the reports of Delap wanting more regular game time?

Seems they are either bluffing for a higher bid or they want to loan him out. I hope we put in a couple more bids even if it is just to test City’s resolve. If they hold out they see a future for him at City, so a loan it will be. 

On a slightly related note, does Pep actually have a record of playing kids from the academy? Apart from Foden I can’t think of any. Appreciate why he wouldn’t as they play at a higher stakes game but kind of undermines a stance on keeping players you’re unlikely to use.

West ham get Scamacca for £30m. 23 year old Italian international, who just scored 16 league goals. 

Perhaps we had no chance of getting him, but if we are considering paying that kind of money for a striker, isnt that the kind of CV we would want?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

West ham get Scamacca for £30m. 23 year old Italian international, who just scored 16 league goals. 

Perhaps we had no chance of getting him, but if we are considering paying that kind of money for a striker, isnt that the kind of CV we would want?

I remember we were linked quite a lot with him a year or two ago, so I'm sure he was on our radar. Had probably gone beyond our reach though.

17 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I remember we were linked quite a lot with him a year or two ago, so I'm sure he was on our radar. Had probably gone beyond our reach though.

Agreed. He's never gonna to sign for us. 

But when you compare the two, the reported £30m fee seems high for Delap. I guess our head of recruiting has the inside track and can see he could be the next Harry Kane.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Didn't Delap have a decent number of injuries last season? Bit of a worry if so at that age and especially for the cash he will cost us, no point being injured half the season.

Doesn't sound like he fits the Saints mould.

Sounds like he IS the mould.

12 hours ago, CanadaSaint said:

His lack of PL experience is not due to a lack of the required skills, but to being at City.

The reason doesn't matter. The fact is he doesn't have it. Indeed, he has no experience of men's football. People getting excited about pinning our hopes on this kid getting the goals to keep us up need to give their heads a wobble. 

• Like 3

Just now, egg said:

The reason doesn't matter. The fact is he doesn't have it. Indeed, he has no experience of men's football. People getting excited about pinning our hopes on this kid getting the goals to keep us up need to give their heads a wobble. 

So where does he get this ‘experience’, he has to start somewhere, and if he is good enough he is old enough.

13 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

So where does he get this ‘experience’, he has to start somewhere, and if he is good enough he is old enough.

Look where Broja got it, Kane, others. Not at another premier league club after a £30m move. Absolutely ridiculous that people think that a fee of over £20m for an unproven kid is sensible business, but that similar money for Broja who'd proved himself at premier league, Dutch league and international level is too much. We need a proven striker.

• Like 3