January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I'd rather play permanently with ten men.

We did v Lincoln with Armstrong I am struggling to remember a worse performance against a league one team!

He hid and took up positions he didn’t have to risk missing. He lost tackles and was abysmal. I was a big supporter of him as he was trying hard to turn it round that wasn’t true other night and if he starts against Brighton says it all about our squad.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I like Ryan Kent. He was the star of Rangers' run to the Europa League Final, which showed that he can play at the highest level.  He always gives 100%. Although he's a left winger, he'd be a Steven Davis type signing, who'd offer work rate and guts to the team.

3 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

I like Ryan Kent. He was the star of Rangers' run to the Europa League Final, which showed that he can play at the highest level.  He always gives 100%. Although he's a left winger, he'd be a Steven Davis type signing, who'd offer work rate and guts to the team.

Kind of Endozie's position, yes?

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Kind of Endozie's position, yes?

True, although Kent is more of an old-style left winger. My guess is that he's a player Nathan Jones has had his eye on since Kent's Barnsley days. Admittedly, a striker is more of a priority for us but at £5 mill, I'd say he's a bargain.

2 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

True, although Kent is more of an old-style left winger. My guess is that he's a player Nathan Jones has had his eye on since Kent's Barnsley days. Admittedly, a striker is more of a priority for us but at £5 mill, I'd say he's a bargain.

The few times I have seen Rangers on the TV, he always looks very good....but that is a very inferior league.

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:
1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

We did v Lincoln with Armstrong I am struggling to remember a worse performance against a league one team!

He hid and took up positions he didn’t have to risk missing. He lost tackles and was abysmal. I was a big supporter of him as he was trying hard to turn it round that wasn’t true other night and if he starts against Brighton says it all about our squad.

Agree except it doesn’t say it all about our squad, it says a lot about who our manager picks and against Lincoln that was a poor selection. We have choices, and even kids deserve a chance in place of AA. 

10 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bought him on my FM career recently. I wasn’t impressed.

I blame MLG for his poor character and not my man management of him. 👍🏻🤣

Im not sure why, look at the potential, he's a wonderkid! He's championship standard now according to scouts but Man City want him. Im going to buy him for my Wealdstone team which has currently won 8 titles in a row and now sitting 2nd in the Premier league thanks for the heads up 🙂 

Liel Abada FM23 Wonderkid • Football Manager Story

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

Luis Suarez.

Well, the attack does need more bite for 6 months. Then finish his career in the Romanian League for Transylvania FC. Rather than rubbing Vicks on their shirts, the opposition will be rubbing garlic instead to avoid getting chomped.

• Haha 1

Karlsson would be a decent signing! Sign him up.

I always thought Kent looked good when I’ve watched Rangers, high energy and aggressive. My Rangers supporting mate said when we signed Aribo he was pleased it wasn’t Kent as he was their best attacking player.

• Like 1

On the surface, both Karlsson and Kent look like they would be an upgrade on what we've got, so it's a "yes" from me.

Doubt we would get Kent for only £5m though (?), given Rangers bought him for £6.5m (+ add-ons, + sell-on fee to Liverpool) 3 years ago, and he's (seemingly) improved since then....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

Karlsson wanted to leave AZ in the summer, don't think they'd let him go in January, especially as they are near the top of the table.

Looks like he would be a good signing though.

Him or Kent + a striker Gyokeres/Wood/Sports Republic choice seems the most realistic we could hope for.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

On the surface, both Karlsson and Kent look like they would be an upgrade on what we've got, so it's a "yes" from me.

Doubt we would get Kent for only £5m though (?), given Rangers bought him for £6.5m (+ add-ons, + sell-on fee to Liverpool) 3 years ago, and he's (seemingly) improved since then....

looks like he's out of contract in the summer, which would explain the low fee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Im not sure why, look at the potential, he's a wonderkid! He's championship standard now according to scouts but Man City want him. Im going to buy him for my Wealdstone team which has currently won 8 titles in a row and now sitting 2nd in the Premier league thanks for the heads up 🙂 

Liel Abada FM23 Wonderkid • Football Manager Story

That's an impressive claim. But do you have any fans? What's your ground like?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Kent has always impressed me when I have seen Rangers and thought he was the guy we should have gone for, rather than Aribo. He always seems lively, direct and causes problems for fullbacks. Hopefully not another McCant.

Bloody hell Chez, don’t invoke the SFC Macbeth 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SambaMaverick said:

image-9.jpg

Not exactly the most concrete link ever. I think I'd much prefer Karlsson, Kent has proven himself to be quite ordinary.

Its also not very accurate. The back 4 is the strongest part of the team 😂. We are going down of we don't start scoring our chances. The end. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ryan Kent I don’t see joining. He’d add a bit of thuggery but not much else. He’s done very well at Rangers but then again so did Aribo, and look how that’s turned out.

Jesper Karlsson, no idea. I think it’s just the “Danish link”, probably no more than that.

Both seem to fit our style of transfer (value, wages, etc) and overall position in the football pyramid. It's really hard to see who we will get in this window. Kent might sit tight until the summer Karlsson might just fancy grabbijng the opportunity/contract when he can.

Think we were linked with Karlson in the summer. 

Karlson, or Kent though, from what I've read are creative -players who might make something happen. Still leaves us with the problem of someone to score from the chances they might create. Unless of course the idea is to give Che more chances to spurn.

19 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Ryan Kent I don’t see joining. He’d add a bit of thuggery but not much else. He’s done very well at Rangers but then again so did Aribo, and look how that’s turned out.

Jesper Karlsson, no idea. I think it’s just the “Danish link”, probably no more than that.

He's Swedish. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I dont get the weird negativity towards Aribo. Hes only been here a few months, definitely has something about him. I guess because he doesn't charge around the pitch he's got the lazy, useless tag that used to be stuck on Guly.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, The Kraken said:

I’d be very happy to see Chris Wood come in but I don’t see how we’ve got a chance of getting him, if we did it would surely have to be massive wages. Newcastle have recently signed a new striker, Isak, but Calum Wilson seemed to get injured at the World Cup and has always had a flaky injury record. Wood has played 14 league games at Newcastle this season, albeit 12 appearances as a sub. I can see Newcastle wanting better than him, of course, but they’d be risking it a little letting him go without having a replacement. Nice idea but I can’t see it.

I nominated Chris Wood in close season and reasoned the way you have. I can't see Newcastle letting him go, and what are his wage demands now? Ideal for us though.

Yes, I'd probably take Rondon on a 6 month deal. Beggars can't be .. and all that.

We can't afford Suarez ... or Ronaldo. Have to take who we can get.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

I dont get the weird negativity towards Aribo. Hes only been here a few months, definitely has something about him. I guess because he doesn't charge around the pitch he's got the lazy, useless tag that used to be stuck on Guly.

No its because he's been pretty shit and that's coming from someone that has suggested we sign him while he was at Charlton, so would love to see him be a star for us.

He's got skills on the ball, especially in tight areas, but he's been absolutely woeful IMO in the four or five games running up to the world cup.  His `display' at Bournemouth was terrible. I don't expect him to charge around, but I do expert him to come alive when he gets the ball. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I nominated Chris Wood in close season and reasoned the way you have. I can't see Newcastle letting him go, and what are his wage demands now? Ideal for us though.

Yes, I'd probably take Rondon on a 6 month deal. Beggars can't be .. and all that.

We can't afford Suarez ... or Ronaldo. Have to take who we can get.

A target man would certainly be nice. I don't know Wood's game all that well. I know he's a big guy that wins some headers and scores some `ugly' goals, often against us, but is his hold up play any good? 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

He is lazy though, same as AMN. Which is why I think it’s a shame when certain people use scapegoats such as moaning at Elyonoussi and djenepo the other night because athough I don’t exactly rate them ability wise, at least they put in a shift and get all over the pitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I agree. I don't think he's been brilliant but I'd still have him in the 11 I'd want out there. Him, Edozie and S. Armstrong would be my weekly choice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Well if these two are the level SR are putting their faith in to keep us up, it’s goodbye Prem IMO. Totally underwhelming.

TBF it’s links from the Mirror so we will have to wait and see but getting anyone in January will be tough. We had all summer and fucked that up wasting time on players never coming here when all we needed was better than Long! Ings level really remembering Broja only scored 6 not much to beat but we made it hard as usual we will pay for that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I don’t know if you get to see him in the flesh? He’s an extremely lazy git in my opinion with average talent. I can see why people may think he has something, but having watched him closely I have no time for him.

3 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

Ryan Kent, a winger from Rangers…………when I read that I went cold and immediately thought of Neil McCann!!

Promising youngster, Neil McCann, 48 ... 🙂

I remember him being linked with moves for years before finally leaving Scottish football for Saints. While he had injuries, he might have done better with an earlier move to help him improve.

9 hours ago, Badger said:

He's Swedish. 

My mistake 😅

“Scandinavian link”* 

There almost needs to be a mini overhaul. But given our league position it makes our pulling power much harder, unless we stump up larger sums of money to attract the players here.

I wouldn’t say we are an appealing project anymore. Not currently anyway.

This will be a very tough transfer window.
I think it’ll be underwhelming and the players obviously won’t be world beaters or game changers. I fear it’ll be more of your Sekou Mars’s, Romeo Lavia’s etc - let’s just hope they end up like the latter.

what i hate about football these days, is the knee jerk reaction to new players, if they don't light up the stage immediately they get written off, i actually think we have a good young team, we don't have the money to compete at the top of the Prem. maybe it will take a relegation and time to get the best out of the squad, it is after all a TEAM game, changing parts of that squad every time it gets a bit shite is hardly conducive to players moral or team spirit...… its nearly 2.00 Christmas morning I am a bit pissed, but those are my thoughts! Merry Christmas all :)