January 2023 Transfer Window

mcbendy

32 minutes ago, Chez said:

we all know the buyer doesn't control the speed of these things, yet on here its our management that are useless if things don't happen yesterday.

I just can't get worked up about the speed of a deal for a player I don't know and don't know will work out. I care more about the quality of player than the speed they arrive.

When has YouTube ever failed us 🤣

25 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Juve have had issues with him in the past re his attitude and behaviour. He's also has weight problems due to his snacking 😂. Sounds like an american Lemina, no thanks

Seems like he’s matured about, although unlike an American to be overweight 🤣

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2021/05/09/mckennie-pirlo-juventus-usmnt/

26 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

Don’t know much about him other than he’s about 5 foot tall and ran around a lot in the World Cup. 

From memory he was ok but nothing special. Would be a good squad filler for a mid to lower table team (i.e. Bournemoutn) but not someone who will set the league on fire. 

He’s over 6 foot!! https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/weston-mckennie/profil/spieler/332697

I reckon he’d be a decent signing but who knows. We didn’t do well signing squad players from big Italian club. Lemina, Hoedt, Ramirez, Gabbiadini 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

Don’t know much about him other than he’s about 5 foot tall and ran around a lot in the World Cup. 

From memory he was ok but nothing special. Would be a good squad filler for a mid to lower table team (i.e. Bournemoutn) but not someone who will set the league on fire. 

I just watched his highlights video and it doesn't give me great vibes. He doesn't look terribly quick across the ground - he's stretching all the time. He has skills, but there are a lot of tricks in tight spaces where he kind of loses it and gets it back through pure luck. Too many times he's is trying to loop it over peoples heads.  I can't remember him in the world cup. 

Edited by Chez

Even the Racing directors seem confident of doing a deal - https://www.ole.com.ar/racing/alcaraz-premier-southampton-oferta_0_1MFLMqykcb.html

From the side led by Víctor Blanco they are negotiating to try to get a little more money (the player's exit clause is 25 million euros) but, according to what they told Olé , there is optimism that the pass can crystallize. The talks and the tug of war continue and we will have to see if it closes in the next few hours.

5 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Worth noting that Lavia and Moffi (and Aribo) use Elite Sports Management.

Stories regarding both Moffi and Lavia are likely to be intertwined and part of negotiations and/or leverage.

are you saying we wont be able to sign Moffi unless we agree to sell Lavia?

He's (McKennie) always given me big Lemina vibes, as someone else has already said.

Clearly talented but will check out mentally at any given moment.

I think a move to Bournemouth would make more sense given their US link.

Edited by SambaMaverick

1 minute ago, Raging Bull said:

My bad. I was obviously thinking of someone else. 

it will sound silly, he kind of plays like a small guy. Lots of stretching and toeing the ball away from opponents. He's quite stocky, so maybe gives the impression that he's short. I must say, when I watched his youtube video I thought he was short too. Weird. Villa,West Ham and Spurs all linked.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Worth noting that Lavia and Moffi (and Aribo) use Elite Sports Management.

Stories regarding both Moffi and Lavia are likely to be intertwined and part of negotiations and/or leverage.

This is what is known on planet earth as "over thinking". There is no leverage or intertwined-ness there whatsoever.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

Racing Club have told Saints they want €10m for Alcaraz plus a 10% sell on clause.

In this article before xmas on an Inter website it said Racing wanted €15m outright or €10-12m plus a percentage:

https://www.fcinternews.it/esclusive/i-fcin-i-conferme-su-carlos-alcaraz-promosso-a-pieni-voti-dall-inter-il-ragazzo-apprezza-ma-c-e-concorrenza-912432

5 hours ago, egg said:

Yep. I doubt they'd have scanned the same evening, and before the swelling had subsided. 

Sorry my mistake, just checked back to when I posted the message and it was Friday night which is when I asked him what was happening. I didn't actually ask him when the scan was done so could easily have been in the 48 hours between the game finishing and me posting. Apologies for the mis information. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Sorry my mistake, just checked back to when I posted the message and it was Friday night which is when I asked him what was happening. I didn't actually ask him when the scan was done so could easily have been in the 48 hours between the game finishing and me posting. Apologies for the mis information. 

No drama, thanks for clarifying, and for passing on what you hear 👍

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Alcaraz (Release clause €25m)

(Asking price £25m)

If these are the players we want, we better pull our finger out.

I do not get this fascination with transfer values.

West Ham are currently struggling as badly as we are, yet spent £35 million on Scammaca a player many on here said we should be getting, a 'proven' goalscorer but apparently we are 'cheap' so wouldn't sign him.   3 goals in 15 in the league so far.

They also got Paqueta for a fee reportedly costing over £50 million, yet he's also struggled and produced 1 goal and 2 assists in the league so far.  That is less goals and assists than Perraud has managed for us. 

Rodrigo was £27 million for a 30 year old and he's managed 16 in 47, and only 6 goals last season in 31. 

If middling PL clubs are paying £30-40 million plus for players not in the PL and not wanted by one of the big clubs, then based on the amount of transfer flops from other leagues, they are over paying. We were clearly ready to go at this price bracket for someone like Gakpo, who looks pretty special and he ends up going to Liverpool, so that seems more the level of player we should be going for if we are spending £25-30 million plus. 

I am not saying we shouldn't be paying these levels of fees for the right player but a 20 year old who has only ever played in Argentina and 24 year old striker with a 1 in 3 record in the not very strong French league we shouldn't be paying £25 million for them or anything close. Of course those clubs want those fees, but if it wasn't PL clubs looking at them then I can guarantee the quoted fees would be lower.  

January is a tricky time to buy and plenty of clubs end up over paying. Plus there are still plenty of undiscovered players out there that represent good value. (Orsic is a good example of one)  These players we are looking at are not proven PL players, they are not internationals for top sides or proven themselves in top European competition so they are gambles based on raw talent that we hope will be effective. I think negotiating the right price is sensible for players like this. 

If a top quality proven player is somehow interested in us then sure go all out, but likely none is. I am surprised they managed to get someone like Orsic to join considering our current state, he's an international with a good international team who has proven his quality in top competitions. 

• Like 13

Good thread on how alcaraz plays for Racing - last tweet of thread summarised below

'In summary, he’s a big talent. He’s potentially a 10-15 goal a season midfielder, he’s clearly a European level player. Teams like Wolverhampton, PSV, Atlético, Inter, Arsenal, Tottenham & Sevilla have shown interest in him. His release clause is 25m€, he’s a potential bargain

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Alcaraz certainly looks a talent but its also a big gamble given his age and playing in a foreign league for the first time will take him out of his comfort zone.

That being said, there have been recent PL successes from South America like MacAllister, Caicedo and Martinelli. Although this has taken time through loans etc. We need a player who is capable of making an impact now, a bit like Alvarez at City, not somebody we have to be patient with as being in the Championship next season is a real possibility.

Our player recruitment has been decent in recent windows, and with the calibre of teams interested in Alcaraz, fingers crossed we've got ourselves a gem

• Like 1

I remember when Mckennie was first linked to us a couple of years ago. The Athletic reporter, Carl Anka said he wasn’t worth it and that Harrison Reed was better. Always watched out for him since then and hasn’t struck me as anything special. Very workmanlike and that’s about it. Been linked with premier league clubs every window but telling that it’s never happened. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I do not get this fascination with transfer values.

West Ham are currently struggling as badly as we are, yet spent £35 million on Scammaca a player many on here said we should be getting, a 'proven' goalscorer but apparently we are 'cheap' so wouldn't sign him.   3 goals in 15 in the league so far.

They also got Paqueta for a fee reportedly costing over £50 million, yet he's also struggled and produced 1 goal and 2 assists in the league so far.  That is less goals and assists than Perraud has managed for us. 

Rodrigo was £27 million for a 30 year old and he's managed 16 in 47, and only 6 goals last season in 31. 

If middling PL clubs are paying £30-40 million plus for players not in the PL and not wanted by one of the big clubs, then based on the amount of transfer flops from other leagues, they are over paying. We were clearly ready to go at this price bracket for someone like Gakpo, who looks pretty special and he ends up going to Liverpool, so that seems more the level of player we should be going for if we are spending £25-30 million plus. 

I am not saying we shouldn't be paying these levels of fees for the right player but a 20 year old who has only ever played in Argentina and 24 year old striker with a 1 in 3 record in the not very strong French league we shouldn't be paying £25 million for them or anything close. Of course those clubs want those fees, but if it wasn't PL clubs looking at them then I can guarantee the quoted fees would be lower.  

January is a tricky time to buy and plenty of clubs end up over paying. Plus there are still plenty of undiscovered players out there that represent good value. (Orsic is a good example of one)  These players we are looking at are not proven PL players, they are not internationals for top sides or proven themselves in top European competition so they are gambles based on raw talent that we hope will be effective. I think negotiating the right price is sensible for players like this. 

If a top quality proven player is somehow interested in us then sure go all out, but likely none is. I am surprised they managed to get someone like Orsic to join considering our current state, he's an international with a good international team who has proven his quality in top competitions. 

I'm talking about attaining our transfer targets. I'm not advocating for a club like us to spend £35m+ on individual players but spending well doesn't have to equate to spending less. You identify players that have underwhelmed after high transfer fees but I could also point you towards players like Maddison (£22m), Bowen (£18.5m), Benrahma (£20m), Fofana (£35m sold for £80m), Guimaraes (£40m) and Jimenez (£33m) as fees above £15m that have been good investments. Likewise I could point you to countless cheap buys that end up being dead wood taking up wages and squad places. It's about good scouting and then picking up those players when we find them before our rivals do.

As you say, January is a tricky window to buy players. We have no leverage in negotiations. Bottom of the league, everybody knows we're desperate and nobody is going to sell a good player at market value. If we've identified these players as the ones we want, we'll have to negotiate on the selling clubs terms.

The Primera Division and Ligue 1 are not of the same level as the Premier League but that's why their asking price is not even higher. Moffi is linked with Everton and West Ham. Alcaraz is linked with Wolves. We need to be capable of competing with our direct rivals in the transfer market. If our scouting is good and we believe they are genuinely capable of performing at Premier League level, they'll be worth their asking price to someone in this league. Presumably, if we found alternatives equally as capable for half the price, we wouldn't still be "pursuing" these two. I might add, I'm personally unsure Alcaraz is the right player for our circumstances but supposedly the club have identified him as someone that improves our team. I suggest that if we believe they'll improve our first 11, they are worth the outlay.

According to Croation reporter Ižak Ante Sučić, Zagreb wanted €7m plus addons for Orsic. They got exactly what they wanted from us. Selling clubs sell on their terms this window. It's very difficult to identify players good enough for our level. When you find one, they won't always come cheap. Often they don't. It's slim pickings at the best of times and that's just amplified this time of year.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Someone else on twitter is suggesting Livramento has injured his other knee. 

I'm sure Saint Garrett posted something the other day about needing a new right back - I wonder if this was in reference to Tino or KWP leaving or a combination of both.

I would be surprised if we sold KWP then if Livramento is also unavailable long-term.

50 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Someone on Twitter is claiming Kyle Walker-Peters is unhappy and wants to leave. First I've heard of this, any truth to it?

I wouldn't be surprised, he's been messed about--right and then left, then right again--then on the bench, he was in the England team just before the World Cup, now he's not in the Saints team. What's gone wrong?

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Has Kyle told you personally? He was happy to face the cameras after the Forest defeat. If he wanted out I doubt he would be putting himself forward for that

If you don’t believe it that’s your choice 

The problem KWP has is the plethora of decent right backs around. Clubs that can afford him probably already have one and the ones that would want him will struggle to afford him. Think it’ll be a summer move rather than January unless someone like West Ham stump up some cash. 

6 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

The problem KWP has is the plethora of decent right backs around. Clubs that can afford him probably already have one and the ones that would want him will struggle to afford him. Think it’ll be a summer move rather than January unless someone like West Ham stump up some cash. 

Spurs need one. 

46 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Someone else on twitter is suggesting Livramento has injured his other knee. 

I'm sure Saint Garrett posted something the other day about needing a new right back - I wonder if this was in reference to Tino or KWP leaving or a combination of both.

Unless he got the injury on Friday that’s complete bullshit 

32 minutes ago, Pat from Poole said:

He’s a class act, KWP.

Would be a big loss to us; he’s been a superb signing. Loved his blatant foul on Zaha near the end yesterday; took a yellow card for the team.

I’d be more concerned if he was happy with the way things are at the moment.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’d be more concerned if he was happy with the way things are at the moment.

Indeed. As arguably our best player and someone with actual experience of playing in a top team, he probably feels more than most what a complete shitshow it is at present. Losing him in January will undoubtedly weaken us however so I'd prefer to let him go in the summer. Maybe the calculation is we would get a fair wedge for him now which we wouldn't get if we got relegated so I can see the logic. 

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

I wouldn't be surprised, he's been messed about--right and then left, then right again--then on the bench, he was in the England team just before the World Cup, now he's not in the Saints team. What's gone wrong?

Okay... He was briefly in the senior England team due to injuries, and only really has a shot at the RB slot when others are injured - he has TAA, Reece James, and Trippier all above him in that pecking order.

As for being messed about and being unhappy at playing left back:

‘If you want to play for England, it’s important you show them you can play on the left as well,” Walker-Peters says. “He said: ‘Look at Trippier. At the Euros, he played left-back some of the time.’ I’d say versatility is definitely a quality that Gareth appreciates.”

“I feel just as comfortable in either position,” Walker-Peters says. “It was a bit of a surprise to people when I started playing left-back this season but I’ve been doing it for a long time, throughout the England youth ranks – including at the Under-20 World Cup.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/24/kyle-walker-peters-england-call-up-southampton

If he does want to leave then fair enough; he's a good player and always puts in a solid shift for Saints - consequently he deserves far better than to be scrapping it out at the bottom of the premier league table. Football careers are short, he's a fair way into his, and Saints have done very little re squad strengthening to justify any player committing to us long term... Which is another reason we should be grateful for JWP... he is arguably our best player (I would personally say he edges out players like KWP) and someone who loves the club.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

As for being messed about and being unhappy at playing left back:

‘If you want to play for England, it’s important you show them you can play on the left as well,” Walker-Peters says. “He said: ‘Look at Trippier. At the Euros, he played left-back some of the time.’ I’d say versatility is definitely a quality that Gareth appreciates.”

“I feel just as comfortable in either position,” Walker-Peters says. “It was a bit of a surprise to people when I started playing left-back this season but I’ve been doing it for a long time, throughout the England youth ranks – including at the Under-20 World Cup.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/mar/24/kyle-walker-peters-england-call-up-southampton

If he does want to leave then fair enough; he's a good player and always puts in a solid shift for Saints - consequently he deserves far better than to be scrapping it out at the bottom of the premier league table. Football careers are short, he's a fair way into his, and Saints have done very little re squad strengthening to justify any player committing to us long term... Which is another reason we should be grateful for JWP... he is arguably our best player (I would personally say he edges out players like KWP) and someone who loves the club.

It's this sort of thing which makes me think KWP is a good egg who wouldn't leave us in the middle of a relegation battle

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer