The 'New Manager' thread

Bad Wolf

if we are paying 6mil for ralph then to be honest we could get a lot of very very good coaches.

More from pep on Gallardo - “What Gallardo has done with River is incredible. Some things are inexplicable. Every year three coaches are named as the best in the world, and he's never among them. I can't understand it."

Ok I have convinced myself we are getting him, I am now preparing to be underwhelmed

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Japan season just finished...Kevin Muscats team won the league. Familiar with the English game. Won't take any shit as he is a bit of a cnut. Flopped while managing in Belgium but we will ignore that.

He's a lot of a cnut. Followed his career in Australia a bit, but I have a faded memory of him doing something heinous to one of our players when he was playing for Everton, I think, can't remember what, but i still detest him all the same!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Dreadful analogy - there are foreign managers scrapping about in the Championship and (to a lesser extent) L1 and I wouldn't want them either. Currently he is doing the best he has ever done and he is 8th in the Championship. And we know he failed at Stoke a bigger club with bigger expectations than Luton. He can be called Jose McGuardiolason and that ain't some amazing record.

We've had Dave Jones and Sturrock and Adkins so we know what lower league managers can do.

This guy pukes on away travel coaches after 2 bottles of wkd so I wouldn’t take much notice 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Nathan Jones.

We approached him in the summer and he said he was not ready to take the job.

I have no idea if we are back in for him and that he’s agreed this time round. I actually never heard of him when my source told me at the start of September.  Luton at the time were second bottom of the championship when I put it on this message board.

Lots of speculation around this, even the very credible Fabrizo Romano is saying he is our leading candidate, so looks like there are legs in this.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

if we are paying 6mil for ralph then to be honest we could get a lot of very very good coaches.

More from pep on Gallardo - “What Gallardo has done with River is incredible. Some things are inexplicable. Every year three coaches are named as the best in the world, and he's never among them. I can't understand it."

Ok I have convinced myself we are getting him, I am now preparing to be underwhelmed

Indeed, we will go for Nathan 'Inigo' Jones, the only similarity being that they are both 5ft 7ins short arses...

• Lighthouse changed the title to The 'New Manager' thread
32 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Indeed, we will go for Nathan 'Inigo' Jones, the only similarity being that they are both 5ft 7ins short arses...

That’s a concern as it suggests they want someone who can be told what to do AND how to do it. Someone who will carry on playing with the same pass it backwards/sideways/possession is everything, style loved by Ralph. Let’s hope not and let’s hope he’s better than his Championship position suggests. Stranger things have happened but this seems too big a risk for SR.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

Well my guess of Stankovic from page 1 is off, he joined Sampdoria last month and has only won once since. 😬

If youth is what the powers that be want to invest in, then we should be bringing in a manager that believes in playing youth. Someone that's not scared to play Edozie or Mara or Ballard which I always got the impression Ralph was.

So we've supposedly been tracking managers for years no matter what, intensified the search when it went even more wobbly with Ralph, and Nathan Jones is the best we can come up with?

It just screams to me that we want someone who will stay with us no matter what happens this year and that the club are a worse attraction than they ever have been.

From going after Gapko in the summer to heading to Luton for our new manager in the space of 4 months.  Wild.

• Like 4

I am just a fan.  I have no clue about 90% of the names of managers or players that get banded around on here as if it should be common knowledge.

I hope that whoever comes in brings a fresh air of positivity and builds on (doesn't knock down at least) the systems introduced by the club in the past few years.

I will back the new manager 100%.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Could do a lot worse. Luton fans are gutted.

If the worst does happen, I'd rather have him than some unknown who just plays "nice football"

Could we? This is right up there as the worst we could hope for. It’s also nothing at all like Adkins. For starters, we were in L1. He only lasted 5 months in the PL. 

This is just more of the ‘we’re Southampton and we’re just happy to be here’ which is infecting the club at the moment. Championship manager (and not even that if you ask Stoke fans!) for a soon to be Championship team. 

Edited by LGTL
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’d have rather have kept Ralph if we’re getting this Jones fella.

Makes me feel even worse about our predicament if we’re delving yet again into the cheap depths of the lower leagues - that’s worked out well these last few years on strikers 😒

Whoever comes in, it’ll be about the man-management, I think that’ll be key.

Ralph clearly had little to none left.

For example I don’t think tactically Eddie Howe is anything special, but he is a man-manager, and with that (and £200m) he is now getting the best out of his players. The majority of which have been shit under the previous few managers.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Nathan Jones, a young inexperienced manager managing a young inexperienced team. What could possibly go wrong?

Did well at Luton, failed at Stoke, did well at Luton again, probably the right level / club for him. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Nathan Jones, a young inexperienced manager managing a young inexperienced team. What could possibly go wrong?

i'll get behind him if and when he is announced.

However the appointment must be bad when i'd literally take Nigel Adkins over him and he has more credentials than Indiana to manage a young team with a positive mindset. Jones on the Luton budget has had to rely on old players from what I know, what experiance is this with young players.

Edited by SotonianWill

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

i'll get behind him if and when he is announced.

However the appointment must be bad when i'd literally take Nigel Adkins over him and he has more credentials than Indiana

6 wins in 38 games at Stoke 🤣🤣

they’re winding us up surely?

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

He's a lot of a cnut. Followed his career in Australia a bit, but I have a faded memory of him doing something heinous to one of our players when he was playing for Everton, I think, can't remember what, but i still detest him all the same!

Detest Muscat.  Complete knob. If we have to hire an Aussie then Big Ange Postecoglu will do nicely 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The funny thing is 90% of fans hadn’t heard of Gallardo until about three weeks ago, and yet there are some that’ll be devastated if we don’t get him. 😅

Welcome to the world of hipster football pal

• Like 1

Whoever we end up with you have to assume that whoever is hiring him has done a lot of due dilligence as they have known for ages that a change was likely to be needed.

Also if we have learned anything from the managerial speculation this season involving Forest, Wolves, Bmth, Villa etc it that until something is announced things change fast in football.

27 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Well my guess of Stankovic from page 1 is off, he joined Sampdoria last month and has only won once since. 😬

If youth is what the powers that be want to invest in, then we should be bringing in a manager that believes in playing youth. Someone that's not scared to play Edozie or Mara or Ballard which I always got the impression Ralph was.

Perhaps he didn't feel they were ready or up to it. Whose judgement would you rely on his, or Semmens ?

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The funny thing is 90% of fans hadn’t heard of Gallardo until about three weeks ago, and yet there are some that’ll be devastated if we don’t get him. 😅

I'm not devastated about that, I've never heard of him until about three weeks ago.

Recruiting Nathan Jones shows the scope of ambition of the club. The Les Reed culture of "look how awfully clever and different we are" lives on. Inexperienced squad + Inexperienced manager in a league season where it is really hard to see 3 other clubs clearly worse than us.

This is not the recruitment move we need right now. 

He got to the play offs last season, great. Look at the team and manager who won the frigging play offs right now.

It might work out but the overwhelming most likely scenario is relegation.

A couple of days of exciting speculation would be nice but the Bananarama Sturrock it is.

• Like 1

Personally i take Jones' time at Stoke with a pinch of salt. Like taking Moyes time at Sunderland as evidence of that being his standard.

As far as i can see he's done an excellent of getting a team playing greater than the sum of its part, which feels like a big plus.

No clue if he's in for job, or if there are better candidates but definitely feel the anyone but Jones' cries are OTT.

Where has this Nathan Jones rumour come from exactly?

I'm wondering if Ankersen is actually looking to try and replicate the success Brentford have had by promoting from within and is considering giving the job full time to Selles. Would be a massive gamble, but I expect all the Brentford fans said the same about Frank when he was given the top job and that has worked out well for them.

• Like 1