Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread

Turkish

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I remember the days when we were on an unstoppable March to the champions league with our team of academy graduates who would never leave us as they’d want to be part of our special journey. What went wrong?

Well the redevelopment of the marina area didn't happen for a fucking start ☹ why would they stay?

2 hours ago, waterlooville saint said:

I'm not expecting anything except a defeat, and hope we keep the score down. However, there is the fact that they didn't beat us last season either home or away, so there is a straw to cling to ... for a few minutes at least.

Other straws include that we got thumped by Chelsea at home last season and beat them this season ...

They did stuff is 4-1 in the cup.

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well the redevelopment of the marina area didn't happen for a fucking start ☹ why would they stay?

Good point. Even Goa bought the club so he could get his hands on the Marina, seems like yet another false dawn

1 hour ago, farawaysaint said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/06/manchester-city-erling-haalands-mind-blowing-weekly-salary-revealed-17518743/

So Haaland is on 900,000 per week. I appreciate he is a generational talent but football is sick and broken. I’m not sure what you do as a club in this environment to stand a chance against the super clubs.

Jeez. He earns more for a two second fart than I got per hour at my first job...

• Haha 1

This could be an absolute Ralph masterclass or an absolute Ralph overthinking-fuck up; and I think it will be the latter.

If we kept the score below five I would be impressed. If we kept it below seven it would be a shame. If we keep it below ten it’ll slightly dampen the weekend.

Il’ll be throwing a lot of money at this in favour of City dominance.

This isn’t what I want but this is what I think he’ll do team-wise:
Bazunu (but it would be funny if McCarthy started just for this drubbing;
KWP, ABK, Caleta-Car, Salisu, Perraud;
JWP, Diallo, AMN;
Mara, A. Armstrong (needless counter-attacking pace)

51 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Haaland is going to score four. Foden will score two. Gundogan will get one. Prowse or Edozie will get a consolation. 

We'll start well and have flashes of brilliance. 

Thanks. Saves us having to watch the slaughter tomorrow. keeping it to 7-1 will be hailed as a victory in the Ralphiesphere

• Like 1

A comfortable 4-0 to Saints, Adam Armstrong poaching masterclass hat trick and Moi screamer from 30 yards.  Armstrong and Moi embraced by Pep at the final whistle and compared to Romario and Johan Cruyff.  Dragan on the blower to Thomas Frank by half four telling him to fuck off!    

• Haha 2

I'd be tempted to go back to a back 5. Keep two men on Haaland and one spare for whoever gets on the end of his flick ons and layoffs. It's not going to work for the whole game and we'll probably still concede at least 3 but cut your losses...

Seriously I would play Caballero behind a 3-5-2 formation with Che and AA up front to run the channels/wings and try to get as many throw ins as possible time wasting and disrupting the flow of the game 

All about sensible game management and try and keep the ball in their half as long as possible whilst not committing too many men forward 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Makes sense for pep to take it easy on us. We are his pond. Be nice. 

Not much chance he'll take it easy on us and Haaland will just want to keep on scoring goals. Looking at their recent average goals per match we'll do well to restrict them to four or five.

Aside from someone absolutely crunching Haaland early doors I don’t see anyway that we don’t get beaten badly tomorrow. Did a build-a-bet at 46/1 I’m that confident of a drubbing. Don’t like to bet against Saints but I’m so fed up of being let down by this shower, and the clueless manager that I’m past caring anymore. Here’s hoping tomorrow is Ralph’s last game 🤞

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Aside from someone absolutely crunching Haaland early doors I don’t see anyway that we don’t get beaten badly tomorrow. Did a build-a-bet at 46/1 I’m that confident of a drubbing. Don’t like to bet against Saints but I’m so fed up of being let down by this shower, and the clueless manager that I’m past caring anymore. Here’s hoping tomorrow is Ralph’s last game 🤞

Wouldn't be the first time in Manchester we've been asked to play 89 minutes with 10 men.

Who's the ref tomorrow by the way ? If it's Mike Dean ....

Anyone put any wild bets on for this?

I’m going to wait for the teams announced and then naturally lump a load on Haaland hat-trick, De Bruyne and Foden to get some assists and Salisu to be booked; as well as the minimum of five goals in the game. 😂

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

I know we've been leaking goals but I actually think our back 4 or 5 is now stronger than last season - they just need to get a bit of confidence. Without Lavia in front of them though we lack a shield and that doesn't help issues. I genuinely think he'll go with DCC, ABK and Salisu today which on paper looks pretty good. Keeping the score down could be the difference between staying up and going down at the end of the season as we've seen before. At some point soon we're going to need to see a performance from Bazunu - he's still young but he's going to be facing plenty of shots today so it would be great to see him keep up us in the game. Not sure of the team but something like: Baz, DCC, ABK, Salisu, KWP, JWP, Diallo, Perraud, Aribo, Moi, Adams is what I think Ralph might plump for.

What we need in attack are people that can hold on to the ball for more than a couple of seconds. Personally I'd also like to see a bit of pace up there and people that go ball chasing for the entire 90 minutes - the stuff Long used to do but our options there are Mara, Edozie and AArmstrong, non of which I think will start today.

Sure it could get embarrassing today but I still don't think it'll be the twatting people think it could be - a 4-0 or 4-1 perhaps. Their defence is still their weaker area and the best form of defence is attack so maybe we can get at them early. 

Betting? Maybe, I think there will be at least 4 goals in the game so City win with 4 goals or more scored in the game may be my bet.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Anyone put any wild bets on for this?

I’m going to wait for the teams announced and then naturally lump a load on Haaland hat-trick, De Bruyne and Foden to get some assists and Salisu to be booked; as well as the minimum of five goals in the game. 😂

This is my build a bet that I put on,can’t see us not getting beasted so might as well try and make a few quid.

C387D238-7EF7-4A01-8F75-1BD056C5B0A0.png

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This is going to be like watching a blind man shave your balls, you have to watch but you know there is going to be damage.

You couldn’t dm me his number could you? I have been searching everywhere with no joy

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 06/10/2022 at 18:04, farawaysaint said:

https://metro.co.uk/2022/10/06/manchester-city-erling-haalands-mind-blowing-weekly-salary-revealed-17518743/

So Haaland is on 900,000 per week. I appreciate he is a generational talent but football is sick and broken. I’m not sure what you do as a club in this environment to stand a chance against the super clubs.

I have done a U turn, I’m now in favour of the super league and would like the Uber-rich super clubs to eff off so we can have a reasonably competitive league again along with real, invested, fans.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I have done a U turn, I’m now in favour of the super league and would like the Uber-rich super clubs to eff off so we can have a reasonably competitive league again along with real, invested, fans.

Well the idea certainly ain't dead, some powerful people still pushing for it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63110317

...fingers crossed then.

20 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

2-2. We are just the kind of consistently inconsistent team to get something out of this.

We will somehow get a result which will keep Ralph going yet again, then we will proceed to lose against West Ham and Bournemouth. 

1 hour ago, Cabrone said:

2-2. We are just the kind of consistently inconsistent team to get something out of this.

That would be marvellous. Just not sure how we will manoeuvre into goalscoring positions. What is the plan, how will we `hurt' them? 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 4-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic