Nathan Tella

washsaint

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He'll still get a medal. Jealousy is ugly my friend.

Seriously where do you get 'jealousy' from my reply? Really odd reaction to a list of facts about Tella's contribution to Leverkusen's Bundesliga season. Will be chuffed for him if he gets a Bundesliga winners medal, not many players achieve that unless they play for Bayern. Certainly gonna be a lot better than a 'relegation' medal he would have picked up at Burnley or a Championship runner-up medal at Saints. He's actually played more part in their European games. But do think he really hasn't had the impact we or he thought he would, to have played the equivalent of 1.5 league matches by mid January, nearly half of which was in the last match.  

Edited by VectisSaint

5 year contract on £45k a week. £12 million odd (pre-tax) before sponsorships and bonuses. That's "never have to work again" money and well done to him for getting it based on a good Championship season with Burnley.

And here's me sitting on my 700 odd quid a week like some chump. 😁:facepalm:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Seriously where do you get 'jealousy' from my reply? Really odd reaction to a list of facts about Tella's contribution to Leverkusen's Bundesliga season. Will be chuffed for him if he gets a Bundesliga winners medal, not many players achieve that unless they play for Bayern. Certainly gonna be a lot better than a 'relegation' medal he would have picked up at Burnley or a Championship runner-up medal at Saints. He's actually played more part in their European games. But do think he really hasn't had the impact we or he thought he would, to have played the equivalent of 1.5 league matches by mid January, nearly half of which was in the last match.  

It was tongue in cheek. 

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

5 year contract on £45k a week. £12 million odd (pre-tax) before sponsorships and bonuses. That's "never have to work again" money and well done to him for getting it based on a good Championship season with Burnley. ..😁:facepalm:

Where did it all go wrong for Tella? 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

He got an assist in a 3-0 win, which leaves Leverkusen 5 points clear.  Long way to go but looking good!

Bizarrely Bayern's GK went up for a corner in the last minute of stoppage time, despite them being 2-0 down so even if he scored it's unlikely to affect anything... As it was Leverkusen went straight up the other end and put the ball in the unguarded net

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

He got an assist in a 3-0 win, which leaves Leverkusen 5 points clear.  Long way to go but looking good!

Bizarrely Bayern's GK went up for a corner in the last minute of stoppage time, despite them being 2-0 down so even if he scored it's unlikely to affect anything... As it was Leverkusen went straight up the other end and put the ball in the unguarded net

So Kane moved to Bayern for Trophies, a pretty guaranteed result if you look at recent history, but seemingly they are struggling. Surely he's not going to go to Bayern and STILL end trophyless? He's got the same curse as Poch.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So Kane moved to Bayern for Trophies, a pretty guaranteed result if you look at recent history, but seemingly they are struggling. Surely he's not going to go to Bayern and STILL end trophyless? He's got the same curse as Poch.

Not sure this is fair to be honest. Bayern having a good season points wise and Kane is scoring for fun, Leverkusen are just flying. Suspect they'll regress as well at some stage. 

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

They're not struggling, they're 5 points behind Leverkusen who are still unbeaten this season. Scored 59 goals and got well over 2 points a game. 

To be honest I'll find it annoying it Bayern don't win the league because all the Arsenal morons I know will use it to gleefully exclaim that he's not a world class striker, when he clearly is. 

Edited by Saint_clark

think that Nathan's luck maybe changing.    Of course he was a " new boy" in the Leverkusen squad in the Autumn and their existing team was 

... (and still is ) ...unbeaten in the Bundesliga, so he was on the bench for most games. Those Euro games I watched saw him getting game time and he

recently started ...and scored twice ....in a League game,  and at the weekend he laid on a great assist, and was unlucky not to score himself.

However, the one factor I noted (but had forgotten) was the incredible pace he can generate.  He could easily match anyone we have on the books at present

and easily outpaces defenders when he has the ball at his feet.  I'm pleased that he has finally got some recognition after an uneven start, but it must be hard to

get into a side that is so successful, and their fans must be rejoicing every week they stay above Bayern .. 

• Like 1

I wonder how we'd have done this season had Nathan stuck around - Given AA has played off the right and is up there as the leauges top scorer, its arguable that not much difference. I guess we'll never know, but if he was the difference between promotion or not, £25m doesn't look a great deal for us! 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dman said:

I wonder how we'd have done this season had Nathan stuck around - Given AA has played off the right and is up there as the leauges top scorer, its arguable that not much difference. I guess we'll never know, but if he was the difference between promotion or not, £25m doesn't look a great deal for us! 

This type of what-iffery could be applied to every decision made.  I don't recall many complaining at the time that selling Tella for £25m was going to be the difference between promotion or not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

This type of what-iffery could be applied to every decision made.  I don't recall many complaining at the time that selling Tella for £25m was going to be the difference between promotion or not.

Absolutely……..what if we’d kept Lavia and not had that money to invest? We’d be fuming given he’s always injured. On a plus side we’d not have had enough to buy Ross Stewart!!

• 4 weeks later...

it's taken time for Nathan to get regular game time at Leverkusen as he'd been restricted to a long succession of sub. appearances

- which is perhaps not surprising for a team that is top of the Bundesliga - by 10 points - and remains unbeaten this season.

But everything comes to he who waits and he got his chance a few weeks ago when starting and scoring his first League goal to add to

numerous assists he's made in other games, but since one of their regulars was recently injured Nathan has become a starter of late and

scored the opening goal in a 2-0 win at the weekend. 

It's purely hypothetical as to whether he'd have improved our squad had he stayed, or that Burnley might be better placed in the Prem.

had they not been so tight-fisted in refusing to pay our price.   As it was we got better deal with the German side paying well over 20 million

last summer, and NT probably getting a better deal than we might have offered. 

Good luck to Nathan....although it might not be too long before a Prem. side  recognises his succees and brings him back to the UK --

.....for an even bigger fee.     Did we have a sell-on clause, I wonder? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah but the bundesliga is a bit shit

It is funny Tella will be lifting the trophy instead of Harry Kane at Munich. 

Probably makes sense that we sold Tella when we did and fingers crossed we get a bonus if they win it. 

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Yeah but the bundesliga is a bit shit

Lets not throw stones too much, Freiburg who are 8th in the bundesliga beat West Ham last week.

I cant believe Leverkeusen can keep up this unbeaten streak but I saw they have managed to get a man sent off from the opposition over their last 3 games, thats gotta help.

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

they have managed to get a man sent off from the opposition over their last 3 games, thats gotta help.

Not according to the self proclaimed bestest coach in the world.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, JRM said:

It is funny Tella will be lifting the trophy instead of Harry Kane at Munich. 

Probably makes sense that we sold Tella when we did and fingers crossed we get a bonus if they win it. 

Fair play to him. Bet he's glad we didn't free him to go to Burnley 

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Lets not throw stones too much, Freiburg who are 8th in the bundesliga beat West Ham last week.

I cant believe Leverkeusen can keep up this unbeaten streak but I saw they have managed to get a man sent off from the opposition over their last 3 games, thats gotta help.

Ok let’s judge a league based on one result. 

7 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

And their manager doesn't follow the Nathan school of management, where that would be tougher. Always nice to see Munich not win it, just for a change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, david in sweden said:

it's taken time for Nathan to get regular game time at Leverkusen as he'd been restricted to a long succession of sub. appearances

He tends to replace Frimpong on the right in a 3-4-3 (essentially a wing back) although they used him further forward at the weekend. It’s going to be difficult to get ahead of Frimpong on a regular basis, he’s up there with the best at the moment. 

34 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Has there ever seen a player to score in the Championship and win the Bundesliga in the same season?

Good future pub-quiz question, that.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Good future pub-quiz question, that.

Totally along with "what player left England in 2023-24 and went on to win the Bundesliga".  Amusing Kane wins it next season that'll be a shoe in for wrong answers in even 5 years.

• Haha 3

I said it at the time, and repeat it now.... I'm baffled as to why we sold a prolific Championship striker when we (seemingly) didn't need to. Given how profligate we can be in the final 3rd at times, I can't fathom why we let Tella go (yes, we got a decent fee for him but what's that worth if we don't go back up at the first attempt...?)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm pleased for him that he's done well but it does feel that a player like him would have been the missing piece for us this year. What might have been... 

Indeed. The pre-season's most baffling transfer IMO...

5 hours ago, trousers said:

I said it at the time, and repeat it now.... I'm baffled as to why we sold a prolific Championship striker when we (seemingly) didn't need to. Given how profligate we can be in the final 3rd at times, I can't fathom why we let Tella go (yes, we got a decent fee for him but what's that worth if we don't go back up at the first attempt...?)

My guess is that he pushed to leave as he didn’t fancy another season in the Championship !!

Knowing that he had a healthy value it put Saints in a quandary, keep an unhappy player or take good money for him…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eurosaint said:

My guess is that he pushed to leave as he didn’t fancy another season in the Championship !!

Knowing that he had a healthy value it put Saints in a quandary, keep an unhappy player or take good money for him…

Yeah, fair point

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trousers said:

Well he's not really a striker he's a winger, and we have plenty of those. The finances recently released show we did need to sell to some extent at least, and an offer of more than £20M for someone who had proved nothing outside the Championship was probably too good to turn down. That, plus I think it's clear Tella didn't want to hang around in the Championship again, especially with a top Bundesliga club in for him.

• Like 1

I:m slightly bemused where this sudden love in for NT has come from. Don't get me wrong, I really rated the guy and wish him all the success he deserves. But the facts are that so far for Leverkusen he has started 4 League matches (stats actually say 3 but that looks wrong), has played 90 minutes once only in the League and has 2 assists in all competitions. I get that he has scored 4 in the Bundesliga, but to be frank he has hardly broken through as yet, and he will do well to do so with Frimpong ahead of him. It is great that he will likely pick up a Bundesliga winners medal, but the hype seems a bit over the top at the moment. Just an observation.

17 hours ago, trousers said:

My feeling from the summer is that there was a selling value for all our players, no one was off limits. KWP, Bednarek, Armstrongs, Adams, Tella, Sulemana etc - as long as a team matched our valuation of them. They matched the valuation for Tella and that was that.

I suspect if a club offered us what we wanted for the other guys they'd have gone as well. (Think we were after £40m for KWP). I still believe Tella would have got his head down and done well for us if we didn't get the fee we wanted, but we did and the rest is history.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, trousers said:

Because we had Sully, Edozie, SAA, Fraser, AA, Stu, Alcaraz, Mara and Adams all vying for four spots in the team. We were always going to have to ship a couple out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, trousers said:

Indeed. The pre-season's most baffling transfer IMO...

Not sure it’s that baffling.

1) he got to join a club challenging for the title and play in Europe

2) did you see our financial results last week?

We needed the money and got a good fee.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Not sure it’s that baffling.

1) he got to join a club challenging for the title and play in Europe

2) did you see our financial results last week?

We needed the money and got a good fee.

Added to  the fact he was considered a HG player from an FFP perspective and the total fee would hit the books straight away then it was far from baffling and very logical, especially after the January window splurge.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

I:m slightly bemused where this sudden love in for NT has come from. Don't get me wrong, I really rated the guy and wish him all the success he deserves. But the facts are that so far for Leverkusen he has started 4 League matches (stats actually say 3 but that looks wrong), has played 90 minutes once only in the League and has 2 assists in all competitions. I get that he has scored 4 in the Bundesliga, but to be frank he has hardly broken through as yet, and he will do well to do so with Frimpong ahead of him. It is great that he will likely pick up a Bundesliga winners medal, but the hype seems a bit over the top at the moment. Just an observation.

What we cant be happy for someone ? 

I like to see people do well, haters hate upwards look at how much grief the COT get every transfer window.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

" ...e's bin and gawn an' dunnit again. "         You can't keep a good man down, no matter how much you try.

More than a few of us who follow the fortunes / misfortunes of former players have noted the influence of Nathan Tella's contributions to 

Leverusen's phenomenal success in the Bundesliga this season.  ..now 27 League games unbeaten and 10 points ahead of Bayern Munich.

Tella's  starting games have been few and far between but he normally get's a few minutes every game by replacing the highly influential

Jeremie Frimpong who is an automatic choice in every game.   Yesterday's home game v. midtable Hoffenheim saw the hosts go behind after 

half an hour and the visitors were still leading in the 88th minute when Hoffenheim equalised from a corner, and the game went into added time. 

Tella  had made his usual sub. contribution to the game when he replaced Frimpong in the 86th minute, but having hardly broken into a sweat ,

Nathan provided a perfect assist in the 91st min. for Schick to score and win the game 2-1. 

Tella's contribution to Hoffenheim's success has been far more than his limited minutes on the pitch, nor the handful of goals he has scored,

but the number of assists he has made throughout the season so far are quite notable and helped Hoffenheim to stay in the top spot.

Perhaps the team is spurred on by manager Xabi Alonso's statement this week... that he is not seeking to replace Klopp as a manager of Liverpool

and so German fans are not only awaiting to see how many points Hoffenheim win the title by, but if they can do so undefeated for the entire season.

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

" ...e's bin and gawn an' dunnit again. "         You can't keep a good man down, no matter how much you try.

More than a few of us who follow the fortunes / misfortunes of former players have noted the influence of Nathan Tella's contributions to 

Leverusen's phenomenal success in the Bundesliga this season.  ..now 27 League games unbeaten and 10 points ahead of Bayern Munich.

Tella's  starting games have been few and far between but he normally get's a few minutes every game by replacing the highly influential

Jeremie Frimpong who is an automatic choice in every game.   Yesterday's home game v. midtable Hoffenheim saw the hosts go behind after 

half an hour and the visitors were still leading in the 88th minute when Hoffenheim equalised from a corner, and the game went into added time. 

Tella  had made his usual sub. contribution to the game when he replaced Frimpong in the 86th minute, but having hardly broken into a sweat ,

Nathan provided a perfect assist in the 91st min. for Schick to score and win the game 2-1. 

Tella's contribution to Hoffenheim's success has been far more than his limited minutes on the pitch, nor the handful of goals he has scored,

but the number of assists he has made throughout the season so far are quite notable and helped Hoffenheim to stay in the top spot.

Perhaps the team is spurred on by manager Xabi Alonso's statement this week... that he is not seeking to replace Klopp as a manager of Liverpool

and so German fans are not only awaiting to see how many points Hoffenheim win the title by, but if they can do so undefeated for the entire season.

Hoffenheim 😳🙄😁 !

59 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

According to Transfermarkt yesterday was just his 2nd assist in the League, he also had one in the Europa league. Has scored 5 goals though. He is doing a good job and pleased for him and will end up with a Bundesliga winners medal to add to his Championship winners medal. Not bad really. Shocking the way Saints threw his talent away.

By the way Leverkusen are 13.clear, Munich lost 0-2 last night to Dortmund, another blank for Harry Kane. 13 ahead with 7 to play, it could be wrapped up in a couple of games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

Are we going to get into bother, when they find out we've sold him twice?

• 2 weeks later...