Nathan Tella

washsaint

On 18/03/2023 at 22:08, Dusic said:

Whwn Burnley sign him in the summer we will make a massive profit and get the kind of fee nobody would have imagined about 3 months ago.

A rare loan that has worked out very well.

You think? What level of offer are you expecting? I'm expecting £10M. Tella will want to go there; we will have one customer and have to take it. Unless .... he picks up a host of suitors and a bidding war ensues. Then you'll be right, but I fear it could be Burnley bidding alone.

• Confused 1

On 18/03/2023 at 22:03, woodsaint1 said:

Was it even possible to recall Tella? I thought for loan cancellations either both clubs had to be in agreement (i.e. Bednarek where it wasnt working out or if the player picked up an injury lasting most or all of the loan term), or if we had a flurry of injuries and needed emergency cover (applies more to GKs). Neither applied to Tella so not sure it was as straight forward as some make out. Perhaps MLG could return to shed some light

19/20 FA Rules

From section 6.6 (pg21):

"If the original Loan agreement contains a pre-agreed recall clause, a Player may be recalled
by the loaning Club submitting written confirmation to the borrowing Club, the Competition and
The FA. Where no pre-agreed recall clause exists, the cancellation must be agreed between the
loaning Club, the borrowing Club and the Player."

We don't know if there was a recall clause. If there was then neither Burnley nor Tella could stop us recalling him. If there wasn't, and we did try and recall him, then either Burnely or Tella could have blocked it.

I assume, given the quotes from Kompany in late December, such as:

"I think you enter these deals with an understanding of what has been agreed, we know what has been agreed and a deal is a deal."

That we did have a recall clause and he was hoping that we wouldn't use it - "a deal is a deal", to me implies they agreed to loan him for the season and that's what they wanted. If we didn't have a recall clause, then Burnley would have certainly blocked any attempted recall as he has been vital for their promotion push and it certainly wasn't wrapped up back in January.

I doubt it ever got to the stage where anyone asked Tella's opinion. Either, with a recall clause or not, we chose not to bring him back, or Burnley blocked it.

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

You think? What level of offer are you expecting? I'm expecting £10M. Tella will want to go there; we will have one customer and have to take it. Unless .... he picks up a host of suitors and a bidding war ensues. Then you'll be right, but I fear it could be Burnley bidding alone.

That sounds straight out of the Les Reed school of negotiation. If we value him at £20m (for example) then we tell Burnley take it or leave it. We aren’t (I presume) in the same situation as 2004 when we were skint. 

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 1

It’s very likely that Tella will be in the Championship team of the year. It’s possible he’ll even be player of the season but i’d expect that’s unlikely. Either way, with some of the prices people have paid for Championship players in recent years, particularly English ones, there is absolutely no way we should be accepting £10mil ffs.

• Like 9

On 18/03/2023 at 22:08, Dusic said:

Whwn Burnley sign him in the summer we will make a massive profit and get the kind of fee nobody would have imagined about 3 months ago.

A rare loan that has worked out very well.

Its hardly worked out well when he should have been playing for saints and improving our criminally blunt attack this season.

• Like 1

Did anyone watch Tella against City? I know they got battered but did he trouble them, or look like a Premier League forward? Mara and Djenepo both scored good goals against them for us in the cup, so we know that defence is far from impenetrable.

On 15/03/2023 at 23:07, Whitey Grandad said:

He’s not playing in the Premier League yet. Plenty of players have done well in the Championship yet failed to deliver in a higher league.

I am not a betting man but there must be more than an evens chance that there will be a lot of interest in Nathan Tella from PL sides in the close season, not least from Arsenal where he started his career. In that sense matters could be taken out of our hands and Burnley's.

The best outcome from Saints point of view could be a bidding war as it is very unlikely he will want to settle back here - whatever division we happen to be in nest season - to the uncertainty of selection that forced him out in the first place. Another player who fell out of favour with the myopic Austrian Flopp.

If we hauled in £35 million for the lad it would no doubt be hailed as a success story rather than the reality of actually having let a half polished gemstone slip through our fingers.

Money, money, money!

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I am not a betting man but there must be more than an evens chance that there will be a lot of interest in Nathan Tella from PL sides in the close season, not least from Arsenal where he started his career. In that sense matters could be taken out of our hands and Burnley's.

The best outcome from Saints point of view could be a bidding war as it is very unlikely he will want to settle back here - whatever division we happen to be in nest season - to the uncertainty of selection that forced him out in the first place. Another player who fell out of favour with the myopic Austrian Flopp.

If we hauled in £35 million for the lad it would no doubt be hailed as a success story rather than the reality of actually having let a half polished gemstone slip through our fingers.

Money, money, money!

Be nice if he created a bidding war but I expect something like 15 million to Burnley will be the outcome.

I just see the owners seeing 15 million dangled in front of them from Burnley and they'll hungrily bite their hand off. They're not very smart after all.

Edited by LVSaint
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Money, money, money!

That shows the value of the loan mechanisms. We breed success, just not for our first team.

11 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Fair enough? Most clubs in the EFL are quoting bigger money to take a striker on form. We should be asking £30m at least otherwise do one

How many of those clubs actually get that? Said Benrahma and Danjuma both left the Championship for about £20m - I think it's about right.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

How many of those clubs actually get that? Said Benrahma and Danjuma both left the Championship for about £20m - I think it's about right.

Ollie Watkins and Morgan Gibbs-White both went for £30mil+. Beyond that there’s quite a few that have gone from Championship to Prem for over £20mil. Maddison, Webster, Sessegnon to name a few. I’m not suggesting Tella would hit anywhere near £30mil, but he’s English so I think that will always add a bit onto his transfer fee.

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Ollie Watkins and Morgan Gibbs-White both went for £30mil+. Beyond that there’s quite a few that have gone from Championship to Prem for over £20mil. Maddison, Webster, Sessegnon to name a few. I’m not suggesting Tella would hit anywhere near £30mil, but he’s English so I think that will always add a bit onto his transfer fee.

Gibbs-White is probably the closest comparison to make but Burnley aren't likely to splash anywhere near the cash that Forest did.

I think it will all come down to whether Tella wants to follow Burnley up that badly, and whether we think he can actually make it in the Prem if/when we return.

Whatever happens to us regardless of staying up or going down, I hope we put our foot down and get tella back for next season.

burnley seem to be getting a bit cocky thinking they are going to keep a player we did them a favour by loaning to them.. 

but at the end of the day the way he’s developed this season he could be a huge asset to us next year, who doesn’t want a lightning fast pacy clinical finisher .. if we let them mug us off taking him off us we are beyond pathetic 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

I feel sorry for Nathan, he thinks he's on his way to the Premier League...

Unless of course his loan was an act of genius - send him and Smallbone out there early so they're up to pace as first team starters next season...

The SR way. Ploughing £100m+ into a club that you want to go down doesn’t seem like a great business plan to me.

Given the number of youngsters we've been willing to throw into the Premier League when they clearly are not ready (Mara, Edozie etc.) is seems absolute insanity that we did not try and recall Tella in January. Or is it the SR way that any youngsters we play have to be from their fancy spreadsheet?

On 27/03/2023 at 13:03, pimpin4rizeal said:

Whatever happens to us regardless of staying up or going down, I hope we put our foot down and get tella back for next season.

burnley seem to be getting a bit cocky thinking they are going to keep a player we did them a favour by loaning to them.. 

It's clear Burnley are the ones that have done us a favour here.... Tella will likely be worth £15m at least at the end of the season.  At the start of it we would have been lucky to get £5m for him

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Barsiem said:

It's clear Burnley are the ones that have done us a favour here.... Tella will likely be worth £15m at least at the end of the season.  At the start of it we would have been lucky to get £5m for him

One way to look at it, another way is his goals have got them promotion and guarantees £100M income next season so they've done pretty well out of the deal as well 

• Like 2

On 03/04/2023 at 09:27, Barsiem said:

But now he actually looks a player that could walk into our side . He’s got his confidence up and could be a important player for us . 
unless it was a loan with a option to buy we shouldn’t let burnley push us around on this or the player ..

it’s bad enough knowing we will lose the likes of lavia etc .. now we have to be scared of loaning players to a championship club  in case they do well and we can’t get them back .. this is a new low even for us 😕

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

14 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

But now he actually looks a player that could walk into our side . He’s got his confidence up and could be a important player for us . 
unless it was a loan with a option to buy we shouldn’t let burnley push us around on this or the player ..

it’s bad enough knowing we will lose the likes of lavia etc .. now we have to be scared of loaning players to a championship club  in case they do well and we can’t get them back .. this is a new low even for us 😕

There's no option to purchase and Tella's loan agreement expires after Burnley's last regular season match. They would even have to get a new agreement from Saints if they needed to play in the play offs and wanted him to play for them. Tella immediately reverts to his Saints contract so there is no way Burnley can get him unless we want to let him go.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, derry said:

Another assist, Burnley win 2-1 and are promoted.

Excellent hope he gets to enjoy the moment. Is there an emergency recall clause Saint's can activate? Would be quite the achievement to help in the promotion of one team and help save another team from relegation in the course of a single season!

One of the few occasions where a loan move has actually been brilliant for us.

Either we tell Burnley to cough up in excess of £20m for a player who wasn't good enough for us at the time, or we get a player who's just torn apart the Championship to hopefully do the same here.

Smallbone's looks to have gone okay as well. Would imagine he'd have a role here next year with JWP and Lavia being two who are almost certain to depart, interested to see how they've both developed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

£20m asking price. We should be Kings at Championship asking prices considering how much we've wasted on shite like Armstrong and Adams. 

Very harsh on Adams who imo has justified his price tag. He's done ok. He needs a more natural finisher of a striker alongside him but his all round game is excellent. He and Ings were excellent together and complimented eachother perfectly.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

One of the few occasions where a loan move has actually been brilliant for us.

Either we tell Burnley to cough up in excess of £20m for a player who wasn't good enough for us at the time, or we get a player who's just torn apart the Championship to hopefully do the same here.

Smallbone's looks to have gone okay as well. Would imagine he'd have a role here next year with JWP and Lavia being two who are almost certain to depart, interested to see how they've both developed.

Sod the price tag a front three with him and sulemana wide with edozie for back up would be scary ..we are gonna struggle enough with losing prem proven players on high wages like jwp lavia etc.. really think we should put our foot down tell him he’s a big part of our plans and tell Burnley to do one 

gotta be easier to keep him then to sign someone as good as him 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Sod the price tag a front three with him and sulemana wide with edozie for back up would be scary ..we are gonna struggle enough with losing prem proven players on high wages like jwp lavia etc.. really think we should put our foot down tell him he’s a big part of our plans and tell Burnley to do one 

And if he doesn’t score in the first 3-5 games for us, then what? Dropped, and deemed not good enough, value gone, out on loan again? The lads put himself in a high status at Burnley so unless he wants to stay we should be taking the money. He’s not a rare player or a goal machine we can’t afford to lose. Clearly talented and if he wants to make it here then great but if not then 10-15 million feels fine and reinvestable. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Fair play to him and well done - we piddled away money on someone  like powder puff Edozie 

Edozie is 4 years younger than Tella and yet they’ve probably performed as well as each other at the top level. 

Edozie is also considered one of his countries best players of his age group and playing for England accordingly. He’s also started a Charity Shield match for one of the best sides in the country. Tella as far as I’m aware was not considered at that level. 

I don’t think comparing them is particularly fair, but if you’re going to do it, at least do it properly. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

And if he doesn’t score in the first 3-5 games for us, then what? Dropped, and deemed not good enough, value gone, out on loan again? The lads put himself in a high status at Burnley so unless he wants to stay we should be taking the money. He’s not a rare player or a goal machine we can’t afford to lose. Clearly talented and if he wants to make it here then great but if not then 10-15 million feels fine and reinvestable. 

Don’t think what happened for us before matters.. one it looks like we will be playing in the championship .. so keeping him is like having a proven 20 goal wide forward .. also he never really got much of a chance with us before.. now he has his confidence up it might even translate in to being a decent prem player .. Bowen stepped up well if he can transfer half of that form to the prem we will be absolutely kicking ourselves.

10-15 m would be a insult 

we obviously rated him with all the star boy hashtags., this move should on our part be to get him experience, not a move 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Don’t think what happened for us before matters.. one it looks like we will be playing in the championship .. so keeping him is like having a proven 20 goal wide forward .. also he never really got much of a chance with us before.. now he has his confidence up it might even translate in to being a decent prem player .. Bowen stepped up well if he can transfer half of that form to the prem we will be absolutely kicking ourselves.

10-15 m would be a insult 

we obviously rated him with all the star boy hashtags., this move should on our part be to get him experience, not a move 

The goals don’t just transfer over you know. He’s got to get himself in the team, the team has to be set up to suit him and give him chances and then he’s got to take them again. I repeat, what happens if he doesn’t start well? Confidence shot to pieces and he’s still itching for a move at the end of August. All assuming we go down and he wants to move of course. 

And we aren’t getting much more than 15m fwiw. Take a moment to think how pissed off you would be if we spent 15 million one a guy who scored less goals than Che and Armstrong in the Championship.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Just watched him celebrating and enjoying last night with the Middlesbrough lads,  he won't fancy coming back.

Maybe he will if he has fallen out that badly with his Burnley team mates, on last night of all nights.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Maybe he will if he has fallen out that badly with his Burnley team mates, on last night of all nights.

🤣🤣.  Oops, I got that well wrong.  Burnley of course it should have said 🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In today's paper it says Burnley were shocked that Saints didn't have him back in January as he has arguably been the best player in the Championship !! That goal Sulemina missed yesterday in the first half is the type that Tella is gobbling up this season, albeit it the Championship and ok !! yesterday we were against one of the best club teams in the world ....even so !!!!

Edited by 64saint
  • Like 2

He absolutely won’t be coming back, and also he doesn’t deserve to be stuck with us in the Championship.

He’s proved he’s good enough, and had we known we’d go into the season with no wingers he’d have featured in most games for us this season.

I wish him all the best. 👏🏻

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

He absolutely won’t be coming back, and also he doesn’t deserve to be stuck with us in the Championship.

He’s proved he’s good enough, and had we known we’d go into the season with no wingers he’d have featured in most games for us this season.

I wish him all the best. 👏🏻

Can see the " we don't want an unhappy player around the club " bollox being trotted out very soon.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 14:48, the saint in winchester said:

Why would we have to take it if they only offered 10m? if that was the case they could offer a packet of crisps and we would have to take it.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’ll be interesting to see how Sports Republic spin the whole relegation to be honest.

We had a few 1-0 defeats along the way, had we turned some of those round we were challenging for Europe. We were that close to a successful season. Fine margins # and all that.

~ from Planet Rasmus, and his marginal gains in a relegation season critical assessment talk.

(No mention of appalling recruitment, and the lunacy of the Jones appointment). 

7 hours ago, 64saint said:

That goal Sulemina missed yesterday in the first half is the type that Tella is gobbling up this season, albeit it the Championship and ok !! yesterday we were against one of the best club teams in the world ....even so !!!!

Didn't see the easy chance Tella fudged yesterday then 😆

Edited by skintsaint

On 08/04/2023 at 09:23, Fabrice29 said:

The goals don’t just transfer over you know. He’s got to get himself in the team, the team has to be set up to suit him and give him chances and then he’s got to take them again. I repeat, what happens if he doesn’t start well? Confidence shot to pieces and he’s still itching for a move at the end of August. All assuming we go down and he wants to move of course. 

And we aren’t getting much more than 15m fwiw. Take a moment to think how pissed off you would be if we spent 15 million one a guy who scored less goals than Che and Armstrong in the Championship.

West ham paid £18million plus £7million add ons for Bowen who was the same age as tella is now and scored 3 less goals than Tella has (so far). 

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

West ham paid £18million plus £7million add ons for Bowen who was the same age as tella is now and scored 3 less goals than Tella has (so far). 

Which would be somewhat comparable if Bowen hadn't scored his 16 goals by January when he was sold and also hadn't come off two other seasons in the Championship scoring 14 and 22. 

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

Which would be somewhat comparable if Bowen hadn't scored his 16 goals by January when he was sold and also hadn't come off two other seasons in the Championship scoring 14 and 22. 

Offset by the fact prices have inflated even further since then.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Tella