Nathan Tella

washsaint

On 29/10/2022 at 15:15, wadesmith said:

Is it not possible that ‘The form he is in’ is because we loaned him out to Burnley?

I've been thinking this, sliding doors, if we keep him he doesn't start the season playing much, so isn't confident when we then do give him game time so doesn't score or play like he has at Burnley.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would leave him where he is.

We need to sign someone who comes straight into the team and has an element of proven ability.

Tella has yet to show that he is PL quality, hence the correct decision to loan him out in the first place.

Great that he is doing well though, so many of our loans don't seem to work out well.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

I would leave him where he is.

We need to sign someone who comes straight into the team and has an element of proven ability.

Tella has yet to show that he is PL quality, hence the correct decision to loan him out in the first place.

Great that he is doing well though, so many of our loans don't seem to work out well.

Guaranteed we won’t sign anyone of proven PL quality…….it’ll be a punt.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, redkeith said:

Watched this and Tella looked a step up from AA, although that is not much of a statement after yesterday.  Diaz didn't lok great but it was hard to judge as Blackburn were clueless 

AA is absolute rubbish, some people saying we should be after diaz but after watching him today we really shouldn’t sign another blackburn player. he’s sluggish. 

• Like 1

Can we actually recall him anyway?  Thought it was a season long loan and we could only bring him back if both parties agree - can't see Burnley being too keen. 

I'd rather he stayed - from what I've read the lad needs confidence and he's getting that at Burnley alongside game time.  The loan is working perfectly so would be loathe to change it although I'd be tempted if we don't strengthen the forward and wide areas in January.

• 1 month later...
On 17/12/2022 at 23:31, captainchris said:

Tella is still along way short of Premier League standard and is not worth recalling. It is one of the very few good ‘Ralph’ calls…. Not good enough, watched him a few times now and way off this standard.

Any worse than Armstrong? For me Tella offers more. Probably not enough, but more. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Any worse than Armstrong? For me Tella offers more. Probably not enough, but more. 

All that means is that we have two decent Championship players who are thoroughly inadequate at this level. Tella did absolutely nothing last year, whereas Armstrong scored a couple of goals. Neither are worth having in this league.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

All that means is that we have two decent Championship players who are thoroughly inadequate at this level. Tella did absolutely nothing last year, whereas Armstrong scored a couple of goals. Neither are worth having in this league.

As I said, I'm not convinced that Tella offers enough. I think he offers more than Armstrong though and if I had to have one, it'd be Tella. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Sell while his stock is high.

I’m not for minute suggesting that Tella is the answer, but then what is the question exactly? What I mean is, perhaps he’s doing better now because he’s more suited to the system and tactics Burnley play. After seeing an NJ side basically operate exactly the same as Ralphball, I have to say I’m doubtful even a really decent forward player would see more than 3-4 goals a season at best such is the limp nature of our attacking moves.

48 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Needs another chance at saints,

The only reason I would keep is if we went down as it is his level. As someone said above, sell at the end of this season after a good season in the championship if we don't go down. Would prob get 10m'ish for him from Burnley if they want to keep him.

There is clearly a significant gap between championship and premier league these days - we’ve seen it with Adams and Armstrong, Ollie Watkins hasn’t done it at Villa. Mitrovic only succeeded at the third attempt.

I don’t think Tellla’s recent form suggests to me he’s suddenly going to be a premier league standard finisher.

That said, a lot of football, and especially goal scoring, is a confidence thing. Given our dire need for goals and the complete lack of options I’d honestly be tempted to risk recalling him this January.

I don’t think it would be best for the player - I think a permanent move to championship level or a less competitive European league would do his career wonders, but selfishly I think we’re pretty f•coed right now and would rather see him on the pitch than Armstrong, Mara or Walcott.

This is one of the positives I’m clinging on to if we go down. We seem to have a good number of players too good for the championship but not good enough for the Prem, and a manager who knows the division. Whilst we would inevitably lose ABK, JWP, Salisu, Lavia - I think we’d have the talent to go straight back up (ie Adams, Tella and Armstrong should be able to score plenty of goals) once we mentally learn to win again

6 hours ago, Chewy said:

That said, a lot of football, and especially goal scoring, is a confidence thing. Given our dire need for goals and the complete lack of options I’d honestly be tempted to risk recalling him this January.

Plus he seems to enjoy being out on the pitch. Maitland-Niles on the other hand looked like he'd won a prize to be there on Tuesday and would rather have won second prize of a night in a hospitality box.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Plus he seems to enjoy being out on the pitch. Maitland-Niles on the other hand looked like he'd won a prize to be there on Tuesday and would rather have won second prize of a night in a hospitality box.

Can't really blame him, I'd be pissed off if I was dragged from league leaders Arsenal to Southampton.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I’m not for minute suggesting that Tella is the answer, but then what is the question exactly? What I mean is, perhaps he’s doing better now because he’s more suited to the system and tactics Burnley play. After seeing an NJ side basically operate exactly the same as Ralphball, I have to say I’m doubtful even a really decent forward player would see more than 3-4 goals a season at best such is the limp nature of our attacking moves.

Bizarre thing to say when Adams already has 8 goals this season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Needs another chance at saints, and Is a better player than Armstrong. Can’t see him coming back early though. problematic age really. 

IF we go down I'd imagine he will be part of our plans with Smallbone as well 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If the Stoke message boards are anything to go by, we probably shouldn’t be basing too much around Smallbone, he’s not proving to be too popular there.

https://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/306819/why-smallbone-keep

the word `lightweight' comes up a few times and no one seems to think his ability on the ball compensates. Pretty much the same things I've said abut him when playing up a level.

7 hours ago, Hodgey said:

This is one of the positives I’m clinging on to if we go down. We seem to have a good number of players too good for the championship but not good enough for the Prem, and a manager who knows the division. Whilst we would inevitably lose ABK, JWP, Salisu, Lavia - I think we’d have the talent to go straight back up (ie Adams, Tella and Armstrong should be able to score plenty of goals) once we mentally learn to win again

I'm sure Stoke thought as much when they went down, but they're never anywhere near.

Relegation in the current financial climate with the PL getting richer and richer will be an unequivocal disaster for us, no other way to dress it up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Bizarre thing to say when Adams already has 8 goals this season.

Not really when I was not specifically discussing Adams, although I accept I didn’t make that clear. Adams may have scored 8 goals, but that’s in all comps against some fairly low ranking teams.  He’s the best of a poor bunch, but I would still contend that there’s a good chance our system/tactical approach is responsible for at least half the predicament we find ourselves in.

It would be a disaster in that we spent £50m added to a team who stayed up and still went down. Get the Stoke point, but last 3 seasons Watford, Fulham, WBA, Bompey, Norwich and Sheffield Utd have gone down. 2 of those are back in the Prem, 2 have gone up and down again, and 4 of those teams are currently in the top 5 of the Championship. So as a pc we are much more likely to be in the mix for an immediate return than wallow in mid table or worse.

All that said this is Saints we are talking about so we’ll probably do a WBA/Stoke, but we clearly have a good number of championship players and a manager who knows that division, so the raw materials are there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't have been unhappy to see him brought back in January - seems to have stepped up nicely in a well organised Burnley. Whether he'd make an impact in our (currently) disjointed team, is up for debate.

But as that wasn't the plan, every goal he scores this season is adding a healthy chunk to his sale value - 11 in 29 so far this season; better stats than a lot of the names we were linked with over the transfer window. Hope he goes on to score a load more

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Burnley will be all over trying to sign him for the PL imo. They'd be daft not to.

Could be a bit of an earner there for us, as I'm not sure he's a true world beater.

Was disappointed when he was loaned out. Even last season there were moments where he impressed and he was often just used badly in ralph's set up. He's never playing for us again sadly. Not sure we are going to get big money unless it turns into a bidding war.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Tella