Nathan Tella

washsaint

5 hours ago, derry said:

A hat trick today in the league following two in the cup and has 14 goals so far. How anybody could think we couldn't use him is beyond me. We couldn't score against ten men today and we don't need him:mcinnes:

You've met our fans right? 🤣😂

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

At least 1 saints player will be playing in the next round.

Apparently he's not good enough to play for us, lol.

He isn’t. Most of our players would look decent playing in that team, at that level. Last year he was, if anything, worse than Redmond, Walcott and Moi.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He isn’t. Most of our players would look decent playing in that team, at that level. Last year he was, if anything, worse than Redmond, Walcott and Moi.

Calling BS on this one.  Our players are a bloody disgrace with no passion, plan or discernible talent.  They would look terrible in the Burnley side as their players are committed, know what they are doing and have a manager who knows what he is doing.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

You keep judging Tella on the raw player he was last season under Ralph. Others are judging him in the improved player that he is this season during which he's had decent coaching and management. Last seasons version of Tella is irrelevant. He's much improved and he would have improved us last night, at the weekend, and at various times this season. Do you honestly think, for example, that he'd have offered less down the ledy last night than Orsic did?

Edited by egg
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, egg said:

You keep judging Tella on the raw player he was last season under Ralph. Others are judging him in the improved player that he is this season during which he's had decent coaching and management. Last seasons version of Tella is irrelevant. He's much improved and he would have improved us last night, at the weekend, and at various times this season. Do you honestly think, for example, that he'd have offered less down the ledy last night than Orsic did?

The entire point in sending him on loan to play at a lower level, lots of people seem to be missing that as well!  Had we not totally arsed up this season he would have returned in the summer a much better more confident player perhaps ready to be a premier league player.  Sadly we totaly arsed up the season and will be relegated so he is unlikely to want to return, this doesn’t mean he is good enough for us this season or that next season he will be a premier league star for Burnley the gap between the league is large and we have a couple of great examples in the squad of how difficult it is to turn championship form into premier league form!

Well done to the lad for taking his chance now let’s move on Tella wouldn’t have kept us up no matter how much people like to pretend!

3 hours ago, egg said:

He is literally playing in a different league.

11 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He is literally playing in a different league.

As have all of our recent signings... Scotland, league 1, kids leagues, France, Croatia, etc. The championship is stronger than many of them. 

• Like 1

Balogun only got 3 for Middlesbrough last season, and is now outscoring MBappe in Ligue 1. Not saying Tella is in that class, and he's 2 years older, but he could just be a relatively late bloomer finally kicking on. 

What's not in dispute is that he already has more technically decent finishes in his account this season than all our strikers combined.

6 hours ago, egg said:

As have all of our recent signings... Scotland, league 1, kids leagues, France, Croatia, etc. The championship is stronger than many of them. 

That doesn’t prove anything at all. Maybe he has taken a step forward, maybe he hasn’t. Hopefully he will be useful next season in getting promoted. To have improved us this season, he’d have to have been here, which means he wouldn’t have been on loan at Burnley and have been able to score those goals against weaker opposition. In other words, nothing would have changed; he’d still have been the same substandard player he was last year.

8 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Balogun only got 3 for Middlesbrough last season, and is now outscoring MBappe in Ligue 1. Not saying Tella is in that class, and he's 2 years older, but he could just be a relatively late bloomer finally kicking on. 

What's not in dispute is that he already has more technically decent finishes in his account this season than all our strikers combined.

Balogun is of no relevance to anything. His technically decent finishes all came with more time, space and against weaker opponents than he will ever face in the Premier League. That’s where he difference lies, I could get a non league player to smash it into the top corner from 20 yards out, if he was stood there on his own with nobody around him.

19 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

I’d also argue he was often misused by Ralph tactics.

still had moments like Brighton away last year where he was very threatening. 

To me was bizarre we loaned him out and brought in someone (edozie) hugely less ready for premier league football. Then we’ve wasted more time and money on the likes of orsic rather than recall him in Jan, when he was impressing so highly at Burnley.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That doesn’t prove anything at all. Maybe he has taken a step forward, maybe he hasn’t. Hopefully he will be useful next season in getting promoted. To have improved us this season, he’d have to have been here, which means he wouldn’t have been on loan at Burnley and have been able to score those goals against weaker opposition. In other words, nothing would have changed; he’d still have been the same substandard player he was last year.

Balogun is of no relevance to anything. His technically decent finishes all came with more time, space and against weaker opponents than he will ever face in the Premier League. That’s where he difference lies, I could get a non league player to smash it into the top corner from 20 yards out, if he was stood there on his own with nobody around him.

You're still basing your opinion on last year's version of the lad. If you've watched him this season, you'll have seen a much improved player. Your post also focuses on what player we'd have had if he hadn't been loaned, but ignoring the player we'd have got had we recalled him in the new year. 

Who would you have preferred on the left last night. Orsic or this seasons Tells? Off the bench - the improved Tella or Aribo? Edozie with his step overs and nothing else, or Tella? 

He should have been coached properly and developed , not loaned out. His performances this season have shown that he’s a better prospect than players we’ve paid good money for. I don’t doubt that had VK been his manger here the past 2 seasons,  he’d be better than Djennpo or Moi every day of the week 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/03/2023 at 17:43, Lighthouse said:

e to anything. His technically decent finishes all came with more time, space and against weaker opponents than he will ever face in the Premier League. That’s where he difference lies, I could get a non league player to smash it into the top corner from 20 yards out, if he was stood there on his own with nobody around him.

I think you're missing the point he's making. Balogun is on course to hit 20+ goals this season and if we signed him, we'd be optimistic about how he'd do for us. 

Well that same player scored 3 goals in the Championship. 

And Tella has scored 12 goals in the Championship.

Another classy goal from Tella. Comes off the wing and gets across the centreback and keeper and heads it in. I still can't believe we didn't bring him back, instead buying for £8m a player that isn't even performing in the B team.

• Like 2

I don't know why people seem to think the club will sell Tella. Him massively improving in the Championship is exactly why we sent him on loan. If we go down then having a cheap player with two years left on his contract and is a proven goal scorer at that level is a no-brainer.

He has two years left on his contract and with Walcott and Elyounoussi's contracts expiring, plus the potential selling of underperforming players like Djenepo and Orsic, I cannot understand people's thinking here. Times have changed and we don't need the money from selling players like Tella for £10m - look how Fulham held onto Mitrovic, Watford held onto Sarr, Norwich onto Pukki etc. We have more money than all of those clubs. The only players the club will probably sell are ones who's contract only has a year left and are Prem standard (Salisu, Stu Armstrong, Che) or those that will get offers from big 6(7?) teams (JWP, KWP, ABK, Lavia). Unless teams fuck up their finances (which we haven't, we have been incredibly frugal for years) then there isn't the need to sell like 10 years ago. The PL money is so big, as are the parachute payments, that the club could hold onto every player, sign a few more, and still be OK under FFP. How many players are sold depends on how much of a financial hit SR want to take next year in the hopes of us bouncing straight back up and how much of a factor moral of the dressing room will be (e.g. Lavia wouldn't enjoy being in the Champ when he has played like one of the best CMs in the PL this season). Again, this is due to us basically spending nothing under Gao.

Secondly, I have no idea why people think he would have saved our season. Our team is filled with attacking players that dominated the Championship and they can't score goals in the Premier League. I don't think Tella after a few months in the Championship would be any different. For his development, it was absolutely the right decision to keep him at Burnley getting regular minutes. Orsic being a bad buy doesn't mean bringing back Tella would have been a good idea. Would he be playing ahead of Sulemana? I doubt it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I don't know why people seem to think the club will sell Tella. Him massively improving in the Championship is exactly why we sent him on loan. If we go down then having a cheap player with two years left on his contract and is a proven goal scorer at that level is a no-brainer.

He has two years left on his contract and with Walcott and Elyounoussi's contracts expiring, plus the potential selling of underperforming players like Djenepo and Orsic, I cannot understand people's thinking here. Times have changed and we don't need the money from selling players like Tella for £10m - look how Fulham held onto Mitrovic, Watford held onto Sarr, Norwich onto Pukki etc. We have more money than all of those clubs. The only players the club will probably sell are ones who's contract only has a year left and are Prem standard (Salisu, Stu Armstrong, Che) or those that will get offers from big 6(7?) teams (JWP, KWP, ABK, Lavia). Unless teams fuck up their finances (which we haven't, we have been incredibly frugal for years) then there isn't the need to sell like 10 years ago. The PL money is so big, as are the parachute payments, that the club could hold onto every player, sign a few more, and still be OK under FFP. How many players are sold depends on how much of a financial hit SR want to take next year in the hopes of us bouncing straight back up and how much of a factor moral of the dressing room will be (e.g. Lavia wouldn't enjoy being in the Champ when he has played like one of the best CMs in the PL this season). Again, this is due to us basically spending nothing under Gao.

Secondly, I have no idea why people think he would have saved our season. Our team is filled with attacking players that dominated the Championship and they can't score goals in the Premier League. I don't think Tella after a few months in the Championship would be any different. For his development, it was absolutely the right decision to keep him at Burnley getting regular minutes. Orsic being a bad buy doesn't mean bringing back Tella would have been a good idea. Would he be playing ahead of Sulemana? I doubt it.

Its quite straightforward really. We will sell Tella because he doesn't want to come back and that is the only way we can come out of it with anything. We wanted to get him back in January but neither the club (Burnley) or the player wanted to end the loan early (as I understand). Tella has become very important to Burnley, and they will be in the PL next season, why would he want to come back? The only slight issue is that Burnley may not be able or willing to pay very much. Its not that we want to sell him, but we will have very little choice.  

• Like 1

On 11/02/2023 at 19:35, Colinjb said:

This will be a wonderful player who we have let slip. 

Burnley go up, we go down. He won't want to come back...... A major what could have been.

I don't get what happened with him. Ralph was playing him and he looked really promising. Then the next season rolled around and he seemed to have been frozen out. 

8 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

I don't get what happened with him. Ralph was playing him and he looked really promising. Then the next season rolled around and he seemed to have been frozen out. 

Thought he was ok under Ralph but nothing special. Got pushed far too easily off the ball. Hopefully, this stint with Burnley has added a little more steel, and what games I've seen of Burnley, he does look a much better player. Whether he wants to come back to us is a different matter. He seemed to look out for his mates and give them a wave most games so maybe he's got a solid base down here.

13 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Its quite straightforward really. We will sell Tella because he doesn't want to come back and that is the only way we can come out of it with anything. We wanted to get him back in January but neither the club (Burnley) or the player wanted to end the loan early (as I understand). Tella has become very important to Burnley, and they will be in the PL next season, why would he want to come back? The only slight issue is that Burnley may not be able or willing to pay very much. Its not that we want to sell him, but we will have very little choice.  

Might be wrong but I'm no convinced Tella will cut it in the Premier League - Championship is his level for me.

• Like 1

Whatever Burnley or Tella want his loan agreement finishes at the end of the season and he reverts to being another Southampton player. If Southampton want to keep him that will probably be the outcome. The more goals he scores the more likely we will keep him.

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Might be wrong but I'm no convinced Tella will cut it in the Premier League - Championship is his level for me.

Elyonoussie, A Armstrong we're already scraping the bottom. Tella is better than most of the forwards we have been playing. I suggest anybody who wants to have a valid opinion forget historical views and watch him play regularly for Burnley and take a view from that. I am watching him every game that doesn't clash with a Saints game and he is easily one of the top forwards in the Championship. He can play all across the line and spends most of the time coming in off the back post side. When did Elyonoussie or Armstrong ever do that?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, derry said:

Elyonoussie, A Armstrong we're already scraping the bottom. Tella is better than most of the forwards we have been playing. I suggest anybody who wants to have a valid opinion forget historical views and watch him play regularly for Burnley and take a view from that. I am watching him every game that doesn't clash with a Saints game and he is easily one of the top forwards in the Championship. He can play all across the line and spends most of the time coming in off the back post side. When did Elyonoussie or Armstrong ever do that?

A Armstrong for Blackburn in the championship.

point is there is a gulf in class between the championship and the premier league, doing well in the chpionship doesn t mean you are going to cut it in the premier league.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, derry said:

Whatever Burnley or Tella want his loan agreement finishes at the end of the season and he reverts to being another Southampton player. If Southampton want to keep him that will probably be the outcome. The more goals he scores the more likely we will keep him.

If we somehow stay up hopefully we could keep him and offer him assurances.

If we go down i can't see a situation other than us selling him to a prem club(most likely Burnley). We may have him under contract but keeping a very unhappy player isn't always a wise move.

On 12/03/2023 at 11:53, stevy777_x said:

A Armstrong for Blackburn in the championship.

point is there is a gulf in class between the championship and the premier league, doing well in the chpionship doesn t mean you are going to cut it in the premier league.

Nathan Tella's scoring record in the Championship is better than Adam Armstrong's by quite a big margin.

Adam Armstrong scored  a goal every 3.3 games in the Championship.

Nathan Tella has scored a goal every 2  games there.

Update: Tella's latest hat-trick means he's now averaging a goal every 2 games.

Edited by Nordic Saint

4 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Nathan Tella's scoring record in the Championship is better than Adam Armstrong's by quite a big margin.

Adam Armstrong scored  a goal every 3.3 games in the Championship.

Nathan Tella has scored a goal every 2.3 games there.

That's a bullshit comparison.

Armstrong obviously learned his trade in the lower league.

He scored 28 in his last season in the Championship.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, derry said:

We should keep him as he has already confirmed he can score freely in the championship and that is where we will be. So we should keep him so he can help us to come back up the same as Burnley. As Champs!

Weird how some are getting their knickers in a twist, I would say the loan has worked out exactly as all parties would have wanted. 

Tella clearly wasn't ready for PL football last season so a season of playing regular football in the league below to learn his trade and develop was a no brainer. If he'd stayed his game time would have been limited and he wouldn't have pushed on as he has at Burnley. There is also a big difference between scoring goals in the Championship and the PL, see Adams and Armstrong. Tella still has everything to prove at PL level.

Now Saints have a decision to make in the summer, either we get a player return who is rejuvenated and full of confidence and proven he can score goals in the Championship (where we'll likely be) or we get a nice healthy fee for selling him. Win win.

• Like 1

The perfect scenario for Saints is that he returns to us, has a good mindset, determined to play to his highest level for us, and scores lots of goals, being a valued player.

However - in reality - I fear if we insist he returns as we own him - he will not want to be back here, will play within himself, not get regular games, end up as a sub for final 5 mins of games, and we'll regret having him back.

This is likely going to end with Tella preferring Burnley, and we'll probably accept £15m, Burnley saying 'take it or leave it'.

We sent him out on loan to improve, and he has done just that, such that he will likely want to stay with Burnley.

On 14/03/2023 at 12:32, the saint in winchester said:

The perfect scenario for Saints is that he returns to us, has a good mindset, determined to play to his highest level for us, and scores lots of goals, being a valued player.

However - in reality - I fear if we insist he returns as we own him - he will not want to be back here, will play within himself, not get regular games, end up as a sub for final 5 mins of games, and we'll regret having him back.

This is likely going to end with Tella preferring Burnley, and we'll probably accept £15m, Burnley saying 'take it or leave it'.

We sent him out on loan to improve, and he has done just that, such that he will likely want to stay with Burnley.

It's ironic that his goals will see Burnley in the Premier League next season and our lack of them, us out of it.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Tella