Nathan Tella

washsaint

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Tella will want to go and be part of the Burnley side he helped get promoted. But that doesn't mean he'll be unhappy at saints, down tools, and refuse to play / jeopardise his career. Those are very different things. Ultimately this isn't one of the big 6 or 7 squads, its Burnley... they might have a decent season next year, but they'll be back battling relegation after that at best.

I've never said that Tella will down tools, other people have suggested that he might. Personally I think he'll want to go, that he will, and that the fee will be nothing like £25m.

If I'm wrong and he goes for something close to £25m, or he stays and sulks in the B team, I stand to be corrected. 

• Like 1

Might not be a matter of sulking.  If Tella wants to join a PL team and get a PL wage, but instead is forced to play in the Championship on a reserve team wage, then he might (I only say might) be just fed up enough that it takes the edge off his game.  Not deliberately, but just human nature - do we put in the extra mile when we don't respect your employer?

Naturally I hope he comes to Burnley, but Burnley are not all that flush with cash because the owners haven't finished paying for the club so will probably want a chunk of the TV money.  We might have to sell before we can buy, certainly before we can buy for £25m.

Edited by dsr-burnley

• 3 weeks later...

Think we need to put our foot down to be honest, we can raise funds elsewhere, Tella has just proven himself in the division we'll be playing in and will have a much more positive mentality than any of our current squad because of it so we should be bringing him back and making him first choice as part of an attacking three. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Think we need to put our foot down to be honest, we can raise funds elsewhere, Tella has just proven himself in the division we'll be playing in and will have a much more positive mentality than any of our current squad because of it so we should be bringing him back and making him first choice as part of an attacking three. 

Agree. Is he allowed to play for us again now as Burnleys season has ended?

On 13/05/2023 at 12:04, Saint_clark said:

yes, I also want him back but will lour management know how to get the best out of him? We've talented players already whose ability remained hidden on match days. It would be good if he brought Kompany with him 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hopefully this is true.

Screenshot_20230611-120212_Samsung Internet.jpg

I would still be very surprised if he's here come the start of the season.  (I would be very happy if I'm wrong on that).

I would imagine a newly promoted side to the Prem can afford a £15m+ attacker if he's top of their list & if they really want him.

7 minutes ago, CityRanger said:

I was told by someone who works at the club that Nathan wants to stay.

If Burnley, or any other PL side were to have an offer accepted then he would move, almost certainly.

But imagine the price we are rightly quoting will make Burnley wonder if they can find better value elsewhere.

Anybody who thinks that Saints are going to let Tella go to Burnley for other than an exorbitant fee and too expensive for Burnley, is living in cloud cuckoo land. With his recent record in the Championship it's not about a fee it's about what we would have to pay to get one of the top Championship strikers. Coventry are quoted as asking north of £40m for their striker and unlike Tella he hasn't played Premier football. Adams and Armstrong come to mind. Goals win matches, we can't have too many regular goalscorers. In my view he's going nowhere as quick goal scoring wide players are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Edited by derry
  • Like 12

17 minutes ago, derry said:

Anybody who thinks that Saints are going to let Tella go to Burnley for other than an exorbitant fee and too expensive for Burnley, is living in cloud cuckoo land. With his recent record in the Championship it's not about a fee it's about what we would have to pay to get one of the top Championship strikers. Coventry are quoted as asking north of £40m for their striker and unlike Tella he hasn't played Premier football. Adams and Armstrong come to mind. Goals win matches, we can't have too many regular goalscorers. In my view he's going nowhere as quick goal scoring wide players are as rare as rocking horse shit.

Yes, I don't see anyone offering enough to make it worth us selling

Hope we keep him. Before he went out on loan I saw glimpses from him which suggested he would make it, but he seemed to lack confidence. I think sending him out on loan to Burnley has proved to be a brilliant move for all concerned. He certainly helped Burnley get promoted, proved to himself he can score goals regularly and as a result, we hopefully get the finished product back. 

When I see the name Nathan mentioned in relation to Saints I still have a nasty nervous twitch, but that's down to Nathan Jones. With a bit of luck, next season when we see or hear the name Nathan mentioned it with bring a warm glowing feeling and that will be down to Nathan Tella,

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 11:16, egg said:

I've never said that Tella will down tools, other people have suggested that he might. Personally I think he'll want to go, that he will, and that the fee will be nothing like £25m.

If I'm wrong and he goes for something close to £25m, or he stays and sulks in the B team, I stand to be corrected. 

You will be corrected

Pointless Tella moving to Burnley with them likely favourites to drop back down next season. If we can sort our shit out next season I’m confident we can bounce back, and stay up for at least a few years which will work out better for Tella in the long run anyway.

1 hour ago, bpsaint said:

Pointless Tella moving to Burnley with them likely favourites to drop back down next season. If we can sort our shit out next season I’m confident we can bounce back, and stay up for at least a few years which will work out better for Tella in the long run anyway.

Nothing to say Burnley will not stay up and certainly nothing to say we will go up. It's a tough league and at the moment we are not in the mindset for it. The manager delay isn't a good sign either.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Yes, I think the Club should hold their ground with Tella.  A required player who has the recent Championship pedigree to help us try for an immediate return to the Prem.    Morgan Schneiderlin is one of the last Saints players I can remember the Club holding to his contract for a season prior to joining Man U.   Different situation I know, but Saints don't have a strong record of holding required players to their contract....disgruntled or not.

Surely enough funds can be raised with our Lavia, JWP, KWP, ABK, Salisu sales without the 15 -20m Tella would probably fetch.

11 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

When I see the name Nathan mentioned in relation to Saints I still have a nasty nervous twitch, but that's down to Nathan Jones. With a bit of luck, next season when we see or hear the name Nathan mentioned it with bring a warm glowing feeling and that will be down to Nathan Tella,

D8CB8DF1-7B79-436A-8A70-090B0764C797.gif.3eaeaad19fd29707d18a1b6192235aff.gif

• Like 1

We now have Tall Paul, Adams, Armstrong, Mara and Tella all competing for 1 or 2 places. I'd be surprised if any Championship club can afford to have 3 or 4 strikers sitting on the bench or not even making the squad.

1 or 2 may have to go and unfortunately Adams and Tella the only 2 that anybody would want to buy.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

We now have Tall Paul, Adams, Armstrong, Mara and Tella all competing for 1 or 2 places. I'd be surprised if any Championship club can afford to have 3 or 4 strikers sitting on the bench or not even making the squad.

1 or 2 may have to go and unfortunately Adams and Tella the only 2 that anybody would want to buy.

Come on rasmus - at least put together a more subtle username

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

Onuachu will definately leave, Mara will have interest especially on loan. I don't buy the whole no one would want our players.

• Like 1

On 16/05/2023 at 05:17, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

He'll go to Burnley for £12m

Cannot see that myself. We paid way more for Adam Armstrong and Tella has proven himself better. If SFC sell him for under 20m then they are fools. Going by the rate other championship players have gone for, he is worth 22-25m I think personally.

18 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Onuachu will definately leave, Mara will have interest especially on loan. I don't buy the whole no one would want our players.

Onachu has 2.5yrs on his contract and probably on a decent wage. It'll cost anybody looking to buy him, could be a turn-off for the level of club that would otherwise be interested

15 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

Onachu has 2.5yrs on his contract and probably on a decent wage. It'll cost anybody looking to buy him, could be a turn-off for the level of club that would otherwise be interested

I'd be shocked if he's still at the club come the end of August. He's not very good, doesnt fit the way we want to play at all, and we don't need him. He'll either go at a loss, or he'll go out on loan somewhere. Lets be honest, we thought he was worth about £10m as thats what we offered for him to start with.  We then got desperate and offered £18m and they accepted it. Absolutely bonkers money when you think about it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, southamptonfc said:

We'll have to take a big loss on him. Like we did Carillo. Useless lump of shit, the pair of them.  

The comparison between the 2 is staggering really - Hugely over paid, last minute panic buy for a manager who was clearly out of his depth and going to get the boot anyway. 

There's no point in keeping him around eating up a wage bill and a place in the squad. 

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd be shocked if he's still at the club come the end of August. He's not very good, doesnt fit the way we want to play at all, and we don't need him. He'll either go at a loss, or he'll go out on loan somewhere. Lets be honest, we thought he was worth about £10m as thats what we offered for him to start with.  We then got desperate and offered £18m and they accepted it. Absolutely bonkers money when you think about it.

Are you kidding? We went from £10m to £18m for a player who is worth probably about £5m. And this is the transfer window Rasmus boasted he was looking after personally? :lol:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, southamptonfc said:

I assume he has a wage cut on relegation, otherwise he will be going nowhere other than out on loan with us paying half is wages.

Maybe after seeing a team like West Ham win something he feels another title challenge/win in the championship would be the much more enjoyable and sensible option to take as opposed to relegation dog fight, at least until January I guess. Be a cracking result if he stayed.

26 minutes ago, Saint IQ said:

Maybe after seeing a team like West Ham win something he feels another title challenge/win in the championship would be the much more enjoyable and sensible option to take as opposed to relegation dog fight, at least until January I guess. Be a cracking result if he stayed.

Two Championship winners medals in a row. Wonder if that's been done before?

7 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Two Championship winners medals in a row. Wonder if that's been done before?

The closest I can think of is Eddie Kelly (former Arsenal player) who won the second division championship with Leicester in 1980 and was then a second division runner up with Notts County in 1981

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jonnyboy said:

Can't blame him, we never should've loaned him out to Burnley in the first place.

If we hadn't, he'd have been a bit part player in a mess of a team that got relegated. The loan to Burnley has effectively nailed us £20 million odd when we would have got very little for him otherwise. I don't blame him for leaving for a team in the Bundesliga, I do think it's a shame we couldn't keep a valuable asset in our promotion push. I still hope we sign another first choice winger, even with Fraser on board, but with the numbers we have I don't see it.

• Like 7

Whatever way you look at it we really ballsed this up. He always had the talent to be a top player and we messed him around with a bit part role for ages. 

At least we're getting a good fee for him but it's karma that having to let him go now is significantly weakening us after we showed such little appreciation for his ability for so long.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Whatever way you look at it we really ballsed this up. He always had the talent to be a top player and we messed him around with a bit part role for ages. 

At least we're getting a good fee for him but it's karma that having to let him go now is significantly weakening us after we showed such little appreciation for his ability for so long.

Don't see it as that great a fee. Seems rather average to me.

Also don't agree at all with others comments on his body language being off.

26 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't see it as that great a fee. Seems rather average to me.

Also don't agree at all with others comments on his body language being off.

Didn't say great fee, I said good fee. I compare it to the fees we paid for Adams and Armstrong both of whom scored a lot more than Tella did.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Tella