James Ward-Prowse

Roger

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

Its quite literally your only example of him being a wimp, given his tackle and aerial contest % are really good. If you have another, other than you just reckon he is, then I'm all ears.

Aerial contest %- pony, just like all your other pony stats. 

The fact supporters accept the captain bottling getting it in the mush, says it all. The clubs soft as shite from top to bottom, Noddy. It’s why we get beat by 9 twice, it’s why average sides batter us sometimes, it’s why we went out the cup with a whimper. Players without the required cajones, perfectly summed up by “The Skipper”.  I don’t need stats to see that. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Aerial contest %- pony, just like all your other pony stats. 

The fact supporters accept the captain bottling getting it in the mush, says it all. The clubs soft as shite from top to bottom, Noddy. It’s why we get beat by 9 twice, it’s why average sides batter us sometimes, it’s why we went out the cup with a whimper. Players without the required cajones, perfectly summed up by “The Skipper”.  I don’t need stats to see that. 

So to confirm, it's the ducking a ball once thing you basing this on? As you still have literally nothing else, except one incident you clearly can't let go. Numbers are useless but that one time he ducked really upset you I guess. Maybe being beaten is football related rather than not being hard enough.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TWar said:

So to confirm, it's the ducking a ball once thing you basing this on? As you still have literally nothing else, except one incident you clearly can't let go. Numbers are useless but that one time he ducked really upset you I guess. Maybe being beaten is football related rather than not being hard enough.

Of course it’s not you plank. I posted long before that incident that the bloke lacks mental toughness. That just summed it up and confirmed it. 

the fact you can’t see it, despite the multiple times we’ve given up leads, been out fought, bottled big moments and suffered horrendous defeats, sums your statistical obsession up. 

29 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Of course it’s not you plank. I posted long before that incident that the bloke lacks mental toughness. That just summed it up and confirmed it. 

the fact you can’t see it, despite the multiple times we’ve given up leads, been out fought, bottled big moments and suffered horrendous defeats, sums your statistical obsession up. 

So still nothing aside from that, no other incidents or evidence. You have one incident which you think confirms that he is too soft despite his great tackling and aerial duel wins.

I think you don't like statistics because back in the day you could just chat nonsense and there would be no way to disprove it. Now it is blatantly obvious when someone has no idea what they are on about from looking at the underlying numbers, which obviously doesn't favour you.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, TWar said:

So still nothing aside from that, no other incidents or evidence. 

Are you for real, or is it an act. The evidence is our 9 nil thrashings, other horrendous defeats, the leads we give away, the soft arsed way we lost the semi final, the way sides carve our midfield up. Anyway, this is about the interest in him, not his abilities. Let’s put a fork in it, and go back to discussing which average mid table team is interested in signing him. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Are you for real, or is it an act. The evidence is our 9 nil thrashings, other horrendous defeats, the leads we give away, the soft arsed way we lost the semi final, the way sides carve our midfield up. Anyway, this is about the interest in him, not his abilities. Let’s put a fork in it, and go back to discussing which average mid table team is interested in signing him. 

All that is team stuff though, blaming an individual for that requires you proving it is his fault. Our midfield is mostly not the bit carved up, we mostly are weak down the flanks with our fullbacks not fully fit or firing. We lost the semi because we couldn't create anything, we were pretty good defensively realistically.

But yeah you are right in one regard, this conversation is going nowhere and, fortunately, neither is JWP so lets get behind him next season as with all our players.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Very controversial, but I'd sell Romeu at the right price. He is a good hunter of the ball but if we can get ~£20m for him while he is at the peak of his value and reinvest cleverly then I think it's decent business. Especially since he turns 30 in September. Something like Romeu out for £20m, Delaney in for £8.5m.

Delaney is the same age but making >£10m on a swapping out our backup would be nice as with any luck Diallo will be our first choice by the end of next season. Might as well sell while value is high and replace. Alternatively, someone like Matt Grimes in as a replacement would be pretty good too. I suspect Villa wouldn't give us £20m though so it is kind of a moot point.

Edited by TWar

sounds to me like villa have moved on from trying to sign JWP to now trying it on for Romeu.

Normally when these sort of things reach the press, talks have gone on behind closed doors with agreements already in place, has this happened with villa, or are they really trying to use the media to unsettle our players, if so I would think it would take a bigger club than Villa to be successful with that tactic.  They're coming across as a tin pot club who think they're way bigger than they are, acting way above their station.

20 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

sounds to me like villa have moved on from trying to sign JWP to now trying it on for Romeu.

Normally when these sort of things reach the press, talks have gone on behind closed doors with agreements already in place, has this happened with villa, or are they really trying to use the media to unsettle our players, if so I would think it would take a bigger club than Villa to be successful with that tactic.  They're coming across as a tin pot club who think they're way bigger than they are, acting way above their station.

Depends on the reliability of the press. I believe the original quote was "Villa are admirers of Romeu" which is sufficiently non-commital that it is probably just lazy clickbate with a wedge of plausible deniability if it doesn't happen.

Edited by TWar

38 minutes ago, Millbrook Saint said:

I won't believe until Noel Whelan says it's happening. 

As far as I can tell, most of the stories are coming from ex players, are they being briefed by villa to try and unsettle our players, is it just a wish list from these players trying to 'do their bit' for villa, or trying to be relevant, either way villa and the ex players are acting way above their station, providing none of this is true

1 hour ago, Millbrook Saint said:

As far as I can tell, most of the stories are coming from ex players, are they being briefed by villa to try and unsettle our players, is it just a wish list from these players trying to 'do their bit' for villa, or trying to be relevant, either way villa and the ex players are acting way above their station, providing none of this is true

About time Glenn Cockerill came on and told us when Grealish is having his medical at staplewood?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Very controversial, but I'd sell Romeu at the right price. He is a good hunter of the ball but if we can get ~£20m for him while he is at the peak of his value and reinvest cleverly then I think it's decent business. Especially since he turns 30 in September. Something like Romeu out for £20m, Delaney in for £8.5m.

Delaney is the same age but making >£10m on a swapping out our backup would be nice as with any luck Diallo will be our first choice by the end of next season. Might as well sell while value is high and replace. Alternatively, someone like Matt Grimes in as a replacement would be pretty good too. I suspect Villa wouldn't give us £20m though so it is kind of a moot point.

I keep banging on about Grimes, think he is a decent player

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TWar said:

Romeu is not and never will be back up to Diallo. This stuff from Villa is all nonsense anyway, but would rather sell JWP than Romeu. Selling probably our best 3 players in a position that we need to strengthen and with little or no backup would be utter madness. As I said its all media talk anyway. 

6 hours ago, TWar said:

Absolutely, Romeu for anything over £15million is much more replaceable than JWP even at £30million. 

• Like 1

It's proper embarrassing the way Birmingham live operates. They keep interviewing or posting interviews from random ex players about JWP and they say things like "it's happening" or "he will push through a move" with 0 basis for saying it, which they admit in the body of the article, then Birmingham live puts that in the headline with no suggestion who said it or in what context. Meanwhile, we have a respected tier 1 report that it's all bollocks and they don't mention that once anywhere, not even as a counterpoint. After all, they know that a journo from the athletic who is proven to be trusted is more trustworthy than some old player saying "well if I was him, I'd go, so he will I reckon", and publishing all the facts would spoil the fun. Just painfully weak journalism. Anyway, rant over. 

Edited by TWar
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, TWar said:

It's proper embarrassing the way Birmingham live operates. They keep interviewing or posting interviews from random ex players about JWP and they say things like "it's happening" or "he will push through a move" with 0 basis for saying it, which they admit in the body of the article, then Birmingham live puts that in the headline with no suggestion who said it or in what context. Meanwhile, we have a respected tier 1 report that it's all bollocks and they don't mention that once anywhere, not even as a counterpoint. After all, they know that a journo from the athletic who is proven to be trusted is more trustworthy than some old player saying "well if I was him, I'd go, so he will I reckon", and publishing all the facts would spoil the fun. Just painfully weak journalism. Anyway, rant over. 

To be fair, I think even the Villa fans have been cringing at Birmingham Live.

On 22/06/2021 at 14:01, Matthew Le God said:

Because uprooting your young family is a big thing for what is only a slightly upwards move. It won't make a big difference to his career like a move to the big 6 would.

He has already finished 6th, 8th, 7th and 8th in the Premier League with Saints. Villa at best will only match that. He may as well wait and see if a really big team ever want him.

Yes of course you are right but people do change jobs because they are in a rut and want new challenges.

It cannot be easy for JWP preparing for another season with the Saints in a team which in all probability is going to struggle especially with the fixtures in the first few weeks.

I expect he will stay because of what you originally wrote but their is a possibility that he will not but it is lucky for him that he can chose

On 22/06/2021 at 19:33, SKD said:

I genuinely put that just to get a bite, but edited to make an actual point. But thanks for taking the bait. 

Thanks for confirming that you are a troller. We knew that anyway but it's always good to have confirmation from the donkey's mouth.

As for Lord Duckhunter, having such rabid views about one player, expressed so often and especially with all the homophobic overtones, really makes one wonder what they're like in real life.

Both tiresome posters are reasons why I only dip in here occasionally and I'm sure there are many others with similar views.

• Like 35

14 hours ago, TWar said:

Just painfully weak journalism...

...that achieves what it sets out to achieve, i.e. getting people to bite and talk about them on football forums etc...

#nosuchthingasbadpublicity

#clickbait

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Thanks for confirming that you are a troller. We knew that anyway but it's always good to have confirmation from the donkey's mouth.

As for Lord Duckhunter, having such rabid views about one player, expressed so often and especially with all the homophobic overtones, really makes one wonder what they're like in real life.

Both tiresome posters are reasons why I only dip in here occasionally and I'm sure there are many others with similar views.

Really great post that, Sue. 

Until next time you ‘dip in’. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trousers said:

...that achieves what it sets out to achieve, i.e. getting people to bite and talk about them on football forums etc...

#nosuchthingasbadpublicity

#clickbait

Yeah I get that me moaning about it is exactly the outrage they thrive off. Just couldn't help myself that once.

20 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

😂

image.thumb.jpeg.01eee73c8a0c1e344d183fc046a64dd1.jpeg

What an idiot, the only thing this guy is an expert in is ruining his career because he couldn't lay off the pies. Either way, I'm excited to see who football insider cart out next to tell us JWP would love to leave for the behemoth that had their last top half finish over a decade ago.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

What an idiot, the only thing this guy is an expert in is ruining his career because he couldn't lay off the pies. Either way, I'm excited to see who football insider cart out next to tell us JWP would love to leave for the behemoth that had their last top half finish over a decade ago.

I knew you’d love that.

• Haha 1

On 25/06/2021 at 19:31, SuperSAINT said:

😂

image.thumb.jpeg.01eee73c8a0c1e344d183fc046a64dd1.jpeg

Alternate headline: Sensationalist ex-Footballer now paid by sensationalist radio broadcaster TalkSport to say sensationalist stuff says some sensationalist stuff to sensationalist website to rile people up. 😁 (Actually it's a bit wordy for a headline...)

Personally I wouldn't expect Saints to pay more than £20 million for Grealish. But that's more because we don't have a pot to pee in than because he's worth that!

Edited by SNSUN
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, TWar said:

All of Reach's websites basically want quantity over quality.

Luckily the Hampshire Live page has a pretty decent journalist in Tom Leach.

21 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Only dipped in but more true content than you can muster in a year. Troll no more no less 

You and Sue are trying to throw this subject off topic with petty insults, yet I’m the troll 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Nolan said:

All of Reach's websites basically want quantity over quality.

Luckily the Hampshire Live page has a pretty decent journalist in Tom Leach.

Yeah Leach definitely reposts far far too much to fill the quantity thing but fortunately he seems pretty well connected, being the first to break the timescale of the Perraud deal when french outlets were giving it within the week.

3 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yeah Leach definitely reposts far far too much to fill the quantity thing but fortunately he seems pretty well connected, being the first to break the timescale of the Perraud deal when french outlets were giving it within the week.

Asks good questions at press conferences too.  They do way too much rehashing of stuff, but at least use actual quotes from previous press conferences.

I think I've seen about 500 Minamino articles in the last 2 months, though.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Nah come on, be fair - he’s also nailed the look of someone permanently on the verge of a sneeze.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWar said:

Be fair, he did absolutely clatter one of the One Direction gimps too.

11 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Post of the summer thus far Sue!

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

On 22/06/2021 at 18:39, SKD said:

Because he is significantly better than those listed at them, so to use that as some kind of comparison to almost suggests he’s a better player than them is daft. In open play he creates nothing. 

So, let’s ignore Grealish’s dribbling ability in the comparison then, as he is much better at this than JWP. Your argument is ridiculous.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Getting back to the Abgon quote, in what kind of fucked up universe does he think we will sell for 20m??

My thoughts. I'm not his biggest fan, but he's worth more than that. 

21 hours ago, John B said:

Yes of course you are right but people do change jobs because they are in a rut and want new challenges.

It cannot be easy for JWP preparing for another season with the Saints in a team which in all probability is going to struggle especially with the fixtures in the first few weeks.

I expect he will stay because of what you originally wrote but their is a possibility that he will not but it is lucky for him that he can chose

JWP is as much part of the problem at Saints as any other player. It is cnonsense to imply that he is a class above and disdainful of his colleagues and the way we play so wants to move on. .

Edited by Charlie Wayman

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

JWP is as much part of the problem at Saints as any other player. It is cnonsense to imply that he is a class above and disdainful of his colleagues and the way we play so wants to move on. .

He is a class above, but I very much doubt that makes him disdainful, every club has better and worse players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

1) JWP is as much part of the problem at Saints as any other player.

2) It is nonsense to imply that he is a class above and disdainful of his colleagues and the way we play

3) so wants to move on. .

1) What problem are you claiming he is an equal part of?

2) Why is it nonsense to think some players in a squad are better than others? Is Danny Ings in the same class of striker as Shane Long? Ings and Ward-Prowse are our best players.

3) On what is that based?

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, TWar said:

He is a class above, but I very much doubt that makes him disdainful, every club has better and worse players.

If a class above is only enough to warrant interest from a newly (within last 2 years) promoted team who’ll likely finish mid table, then we really are more fucked than I originally thought. 

That being said, most of our squad really is a load of shite, so being a class above isn’t hard. 

I don’t think there’s any disputing that Ings (probably pretty easily our best) & JWP, Armstrong, KWP are above the rest of the crap we have. 

Ings is a player who could easily play for a top 4 side, the others, imo, are top half type of players. Which is where we should be aiming. 

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic