Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

If true, let's forgive and forget for Ankerson. Everyone makes mistakes and whilst this is a big one, it's a positive that he has recognised the error and looked to rectify it quickly. 

Yes, of course.   He (Ankersen) will have majority goodwill if he removes Jones (Monday) and replaces him with someone credible - even if Selles is caretaker v Wolves.     The preparedness to spend that money in the transfer window has already gone down well with the fan base.   It would also release a lot of frustration and angst ahead of Tuesdays fans forum.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

How we shortlisted down to Jones will forever confuse me.

Answer, I think, was in Jones rant.

Statisically there weren't better than me around Europe in terms of clean sheets, defending the box, balls in the box, xG, all those things”

He was a money all appointment by, Rasmus Ankersen

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

If true, let's forgive and forget for Ankerson. Everyone makes mistakes and whilst this is a big one, it's a positive that he has recognised the error and looked to rectify it quickly. 

I'm afraid I have zero faith in him to get it right second time round. He spent months and months evaluating Jones and was even prepared to pay millions in compensation to get him, despite him being so utterly hopeless.

I struggle to believe the next manager can be worse than Jones, but I'm still worried about who he comes up with

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

I'm afraid I have zero faith in him to get it right second time round. He spent months and months evaluating Jones and was even prepared to pay millions in compensation to get him, despite him being so utterly hopeless.

I struggle to believe the next manager can be worse than Jones, but I'm still worried about who he comes up with

Corporal Jones!  Don't Panic!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Tbh I still feel for him a bit, fans have been on his back instantly from about the second game in charge.. in return he’s getting all defensive trying to shift blame whilst trying to point out his strengths.. the more he talks the more everyone rips his post match interviews apart ..couple that with we had massive issues with the squad both in attack and defense which in a way is a result of four years of Ralph ball where creativity isn’t as important as off the ball .. you can understand why it’s not easy just to come in and turn it around - dyche at least has solid defenders like tarkowski etc so it’s something to work with….

still hoping he can turn things myself although looks like I’m in the severe minority 

Why do you think they were?

He had 6 weeks then to see us totally outplayed by Lincoln!

We had completely baffling team selections. Outplayed by Sheffield Weds and Blackpool also in his time here. The Forest shit show. 

A nice little run beating Palace with 2 gifts, Everton under siege and brilliant against City.

Explain that team selection against Newcastle. Playing Bednarek and Bree . One who had played one game all season getting beaten by Stevenage another not played a Prem game at all. 
Best midfielder dropped and for me our best defender yet it’s the fan’s fault?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why have your posts disappeared, Nath?

If hotsaint is Nathan Jones then maybe we should collectively hope that he's getting the right support right now. He looked like he was at breaking point after the game.

If you're not in a good headspace one might argue that spending time reading a fan forum isn't the best use of your time.

• Like 9

8 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Tbh I still feel for him a bit, fans have been on his back instantly from about the second game in charge.. in return he’s getting all defensive trying to shift blame whilst trying to point out his strengths.. the more he talks the more everyone rips his post match interviews apart ..couple that with we had massive issues with the squad both in attack and defense which in a way is a result of four years of Ralph ball where creativity isn’t as important as off the ball .. you can understand why it’s not easy just to come in and turn it around - dyche at least has solid defenders like tarkowski etc so it’s something to work with….

still hoping he can turn things myself although looks like I’m in the severe minority 

I agree with everything you said apart from the last sentence. It’s past the point of no return for NJ

• Like 1

It's absolutely crazy that

> the season we absolutely blow our "net spend" records sky high in both windows

> we actually go out and pay a compensation fee for a manager the club really wanted

Both these things happen and we're bloody bottom of the league and nailed on relegated.

Couldn't make it up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Kaiser Soze said:

Very good authority he will be gone by the morning.

Paddy Power are offering 3/1 if you want to make some easy cash on it.

I think the mysterious posts from Hotsaint last night (now deleted, even more of a sign) talking about how we would be "happy now" told me enough.

By ten this morning I reckon.

The replacement is key - we haven't got a load of games for a caretaker/Selles etc. Really need someone to get in there.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Looks like the Saturday night Sunday morning meetings at SMS might have been conclusive. Selles in for Wolves with the new man in the stand, worth a punt on Bruno Lage. 

Ankersen gets some credit if he has been decisive here, and our season won’t be over. Saints can build and restore some self respect. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I think the mysterious posts from Hotsaint last night (now deleted, even more of a sign) talking about how we would be "happy now" told me enough.

The replacement is key - we haven't got a load of games for a caretaker/Selles etc. Really need someone to get in there.

That's 100% NJ or a member of family hey

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's absolutely crazy that

> the season we absolutely blow our "net spend" records sky high in both windows

> we actually go out and pay a compensation fee for a manager the club really wanted

Both these things happen and we're bloody bottom of the league and nailed on relegated.

Couldn't make it up.

Also in a season where cup draws have been kind to give us a real chance of Wembley but not in a position to take advantage of it 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It'll be someone called 'Jones'.

Then this whole saga can be blamed on some kind of clerical error with one of the typists being offered up for sacrifice as we get a muffled apology about mistaken identities.  But don't worry, this is the correct Jones that we've been tracking diligently for 18 months!

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What was the gist of the posts?

5 minutes ago, whelk said:

I quoted them and others did so they are still there.

Generally berating the fans etc, but with a resignful "you'll all be happy now" at the end.

I never thought it was Jones himself, just a connected person.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59761-nathan-jones-out/?do=findComment&comment=3133315

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The more I think about it, the more I think his position is untenable.

I just cannot see a way back from sticking 4 first team players in the u23’s a day before a huge game where you get spanked 3-0. Especially as one of those 4 is fully fit and arguably our best CB.  

Then there is the throwing players, staff, fans under the bus. 

There’s simply no way back. 

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

image.png.85e1ad974d544653682fc582fa6ca8e1.png

FWIW, I don't think there has been non-stop hate bullying and insults. There have been a few snide comments online questioning his pedigree, his ethnicity and religious beliefs, but aside from a couple of chants about the quality of the football, the fans at games have been very patient so far, despite the pathetic performances he has served up.

Unfortunately there is always a degree of malignancy online, mostly on Twitter, but also on here to a much lesser extent. It's disappointing, of course, but that's the world we live in now and if a premier League manager isn't thick-skinned enough to tune that out then he has no business being a premier league manager.

What I do see here in this post, though, is yet another example of refusal to accept responsibility. To blame 'the fans' (as if we are all just one homogenous entity) when the vast majority of us are paying customers who are entitled to voice our opinions and criticisms, is typical of the NJ mentality of blaming everyone but himself.

We haven't broken and destroyed him. As soon as he set foot in the door it was obvious he was a prickly, disturbed man with a nervous disposition who claims to thrive on that kind of adrenaline, but who clearly can't control his emotions. He blatantly needs to get some help with that, and I hope he recognises that and seeks out the right support, but this is a situation entirely of his own making IMO.

Blaming the fans is a cop out.

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

The bullying thing is nonsense anyway.

Newcastle fans towards Pardew were for example were far more vitriolic. We hadn't reached the stage of printing off banners etc.

I don't think it's a matter of comparison. It depends on how stable the person receiving it is. Some people would accept football fans are likely to have strong feelings they are going to express directly as part of the job. Others might feel they have to answer any criticism or that disagreement is a personal attack.

We hired someone out of their depth who doesn't handle criticism well. I would imagine that the constant repetition of past achievements has been a self defence mechanism on the part of our manager.

The club should look at how the manager handles criticism or dissent as part of hiring them. Because you can bet your bottom dollar it's not going to be unicorns and candyfloss the whole time. And you can't be in a leadership position if you're not comfortable with yourself.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, coalman said:

I don't think it's a matter of comparison. It depends on how stable the person receiving it is. Some people would accept football fans are likely to have strong feelings they are going to express directly as part of the job. Others might feel they have to answer any criticism or that disagreement is a personal attack.

We hired someone out of their depth who doesn't handle criticism well. I would imagine that the constant repetition of past achievements has been a self defence mechanism on the part of our manager.

The club should look at how the manager handles criticism or dissent as part of hiring them. Because you can bet your bottom dollar it's not going to be unicorns and candyfloss the whole time. And you can't be in a leadership position if you're not comfortable with yourself.

It is a job without comparison and not a place for anyone without a massively thick skin. I do reflect sometimes that football brings out the nasty side like screaming abuse at a shit ref etc that would never do in any other walk of life

• Like 6

Just now, Ted Bates Statue said:

Going to guess OP might be well-intentioned, but is relying on betting odds for his source. Trouble is, everyone in football has seen or heard that post-match interview so I reckon that will be due to neutrals making reasonable assumptions.

Happy to return and eat humble pie in 2.5 hours.

It was still 10/1 yesterday. Only late evening yesterday did it start moving in.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

It is a job without comparison and not a place for anyone without a massively thick skin. I do reflect sometimes that football brings out the nasty side like screaming abuse at a shit ref etc that would never do in any other walk of life

Yeah. Every time the ref gets mobbed and nothing happens it gives the green light to more of the same.

Football would be a nicer place if refs just carded anyone screaming in their face and that would ripple through the whole culture.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It'll be someone called 'Jones'.

Then this whole saga can be blamed on some kind of clerical error with one of the typists being offered up for sacrifice as we get a muffled apology about mistaken identities.  But don't worry, this is the correct Jones that we've been tracking diligently for 18 months!

Nazario El Jones, manager at Argentine second division side RCD Watfordio. ‘With all due respect, one of the best in South America’…

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I quoted them and others did so they are still there.

Generally berating the fans etc, but with a resignful "you'll all be happy now" at the end.

I never thought it was Jones himself, just a connected person.

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59761-nathan-jones-out/?do=findComment&comment=3133315

Indeed, if it’s a connected person it’s not Nat 🙂

1 minute ago, coalman said:

Yeah. Every time the ref gets mobbed and nothing happens it gives the green light to more of the same.

Football would be a nicer place if refs just carded anyone screaming in their face and that would ripple through the whole culture.

The loss of control is incredible.  In the France Italy egg chasing yesterday, there was one incident with a player trying to kick off.  The ref looked at him and said "there's no need for your shouting, decision made, move on" and everyone did.  No mobbing, no crying like spoilt little kids.

• Like 13

I normally prefer to be patient and give people a chance to prove themselves and I was even in the “be careful what you wish for” with Ralph !

Unfortunately with this guy his arrogance supersedes all other considerations. It’s all about him and his constant use of the word “I” rather than “us” tells you everything !

He seems to think that relating his experience at Luton is impressive but actually only makes him look “small time” in my eyes !!

He’s the last person I’d like to get stuck with in a pub discussion as I’d find him cocky and irritating !

So, personality coupled with lack of proper football pedigree singles him out for the sack right now…

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!