Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

4 minutes ago, gecko said:

Not that I wish to defend him, but I'd say it'd be ill advised to divulge his game-plan and specific tactics prior to the match, no?

We'd rightly be slating him if he'd pointed out a bunch of flaws in the typical Wolves formations, and thus informing the opposition of how he's going to set us up to exploit it...

In reality though, nothing in the previous games seems to suggest that he's ever come up with useful tactics for specific teams, so he couldn't spill the non-existent beans if he tried.

Absolutely and I wouldn't expect him to provide everything. An overview of the types of things we would be looking to combat from wolves and an idea that he knows them as a team and their key attributes to be wary of would give more confidence that he actually knows what he's talking about to the required detail to be a Premier league manager. 

• Like 1

Jones' performance in press conference is completely trivial while his points per game average remains at less than half of Ralph Hasenhuttl's record in the run of games which led to his sacking. Nobody would mind so much if he came from Timbuktu or worshipped the devil, if only he got us onto an even keel. As it is, we are literally twice as bad as we were since we sacked the last incumbent, so it's not entirely surprising that just about anything he says ends up grating on the fanbase.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wild-saint said:

To be fair he probably is more intelligent than the average fan. I wonder if you would be prepared to have a head to head of career achievements? 

My point is that he's not as clever as he makes out or many believe him to be or why would he appoint Nathan Jones? Right there he loses all credibility with me and ,many others by the sound of it and he exacerbates that by being arrogant enough to allow Jones to continue as though this is some sort of Moneyball film rather than the destruction of our football club.. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Jones' performance in press conference is completely trivial while his points per game average remains at less than half of Ralph Hasenhuttl's record in the run of games which led to his sacking. Nobody would mind so much if he came from Timbuktu or worshipped the devil, if only he got us onto an even keel. As it is, we are literally twice as bad as we were since we sacked the last incumbent, so it's not entirely surprising that just about anything he says ends up grating on the fanbase.

also arguably easier runs of games. 

Ralphs last 7 league games included 3 of the current top 4

Newcastle h

Palace A

Arsenal H

Bournemouth A

West Ham H

Man City A

Everton H

Jones last 7

Liverpool A

Brighton H

Fulham A

Forest H

Everton A

Villa H

Brentford A

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

3 points out of 21 on the weakest run of league fixtures we will have this season

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I think it's really unfair to criticise him for this. Aggression stats are definitely much higher now than at any other point this year. Particularly amongst the fans and we may be seeing record levels of aggression at 5pm on Saturday. 

There is only one stat that counts and the fanbase is remotely interested in!

33 minutes ago, JRM said:

Sounds like you need to go for a walk and take some deep breaths of fresh air Francis, so much hate and anger isn't good for you. 

Hi JRM

Good advice. Think I will take it. Apologies for the emotion in my post as I'm usually a very mild mannered bloke.

But he is so unlikeable isn't he ! I was just about coming around to listening to the match on Saturday and maybe ....just maybe....giving him a little leeway and then I watched this press conference and all the weirdness, the phrases and answers that actually mean nothing came out. Just utter bloody gibberish !

I will calm down. It's not good for me at my age !

I just keep asking the same question. How the hell did we end up with this man !!!!! 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

also arguably easier runs of games. 

Ralphs last 7 league games included 3 of the current top 4

Newcastle h

Palace A

Arsenal H

Bournemouth A

West Ham H

Man City A

Everton H

Jones last 7

Liverpool A

Brighton H

Fulham A

Forest H

Everton A

Villa H

Brentford A

Pretty damning. Now imagine that run with a decent manager to include a unique ‘pre-season’ and one of the biggest January spends in Europe. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Just watched the press conference. One issue is when he's asked how he we will look to counter Wolves specifically. He just says by being front footed, aggressive and potent. That's basically the same answer he gives every week so then not really anythibg unique about our preparations this week to counter wolves. He does come across like he's a very basic tactician without a Premier league level knowledge of tactics. 

It would obviously have been far better to have come out and say exactly what the team is going to do to counter Wolves this week, that would have been really cool. Then we would all have been absolutely clear (if we aren't already) that he is a knob.

Just now, VectisSaint said:

It would obviously have been far better to have come out and say exactly what the team is going to do to counter Wolves this week, that would have been really cool. Then we would all have been absolutely clear (if we aren't already) that he is a knob.

I already answered that. I wasn't expecting him to outline in detail precisely what he was planning but there's a level of detail in between outlining the minutiae of our performance and repeating "front footed and aggressive" at every press conference. It makes him look a bit thick quite frankly.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just watched it. Not as much of a car crash as I was expecting at all. He’s clearly trying his best to keep a lid on his emotions, he almost let it go 2 or 3 times then reined himself in.

His lack of specifics is the troubling thing for me. He keeps repeating ‘be aggressive, be front footed’ but it’s the same nonsense he’s been trotting out for weeks that has only seen us get worse. He skated around his ‘I’ve compromised’ statement to try and massively downplay it. And the question about ‘which stats’ at the end had him flummoxed, he knew he’s been caught out talking bollocks with that one.

Im not inspired that this will herald a new dawn. Though, somehow, I can see us getting 3 points out of this game so that we continue limping along.

This is absolutely spot on - and the biggest concern for me. Adam Blackmore names the entire Wolves midfield, referencing them as a threat and asking for information on how NJ plans to set Saints up to counter them. But you are right - it was just vague waffle that he repeated elsewhere. I am not convinced he even knows who Wolves midfielders are let alone how they play. Post Brentford was an absolute car crash, but you might give him half a chance if he showed today he had done his prep and was setting up with a specific game plan to beat Wolves. But the bloke doesn't have a clue. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I think you know what he was trying to say....clearly nobody wants him to reveal the exact game plan. But what he came out with didn't even come close to looking like he knew what to do / say other than the bland trite clichés that he trots out every time about "front-footed" and "aggression". He clearly has not a single clue.

Edited by InvictaSaint
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Yep, it was. 

I think people should stop using his faith to bash him, personally. Think it’s out of order. 

Many of the best sportstars and coaches are religious. It has no bearing on his ability to manage. It’s a bit embarrassing to use it as a stick to beat him with. 

He's the one that brings it into the debate. Fine everyone has the choice of a God but bringing it into your professional life is unnecessary.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He's the one that brings it into the debate. Fine everyone has the choice of a God but bringing it into your professional life is unnecessary.

But he doesn't. He says things like "God willing" which may have Abrahamic connotations but is frequently used by atheists as a throwaway.

If he said "touch wood" instead would you accuse him of forcing pagan beliefs on us or bringing his pagan religion in? No because it's just a phrase.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

I have to cling to the hope that the Board were genuinely taken aback by the depth of feeling against Jones after the forum and that it may have focused a few minds. Not sure Semmens isn’t there already to be fair.

Probably just wishful thinking however.

It’s kind of where I’m at, I hope it was something of a massive shock to them to see such depth of feeling. I doubt it though.

• Like 1

Don’t really see any issues with that press conference.

Seems he was very conscious not go down the emotional rabbit holes he did in previous ones and only really got caught up when Luton and his metrics there was brought up.

That said and like The Kraken said, there is a worrying lack of specifics which is what concerns me. Maybe he’s just not that type of guy.

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Well I've watched it, and for the life of me cannot see why fans are getting het up about it!! Crikey he says its down to him etc etc. Not sure what more he can say.

If he was Adkins you'd be lapping it up saying how humble to is lol

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and say that's like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted.  Seems a little bit late for him to say it's all down to him after Saturday's press conference where he started to say the same thing but then went on to blame every man and his dog instead.

Maybe, and I could be wrong, that's why some fans are getting het up about it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldNick said:

Well I've watched it, and for the life of me cannot see why fans are getting het up about it!! Crikey he says its down to him etc etc. Not sure what more he can say.

If he was Adkins you'd be lapping it up saying how humble to is lol

I’m still not convinced as to whether he is the correct man. However having listened to the press conference and having listened to the fans forum from the other night I think there’s room for optimism. We all make mistakes, not everyone is a great orator, we’d all take a great opportunity if it was presented to us and probably most wouldn’t set out to do a poor job if they had such an opportunity. I genuinely think NJ realises he may have reacted wrongly and maybe just maybe what he said was lost in translation. Yes I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt but it helps nobody to keep berating him and from what I’ve heard and certainly from player reactions when we’ve got results in games they like playing for him. That in itself means an awful lot and if on Saturday it’s clear they’re prepared to run through brick walls for him then perhaps we could pull a rabbit from a hat and dig ourselves out of this mess. One thing’s for sure though, the team will need the fans onside…………oh and one more thing…….I’m not part of NJ’s family or close circle of friends!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jack said:

Fuck me that presser was painful. It’s going to be a long and ill tempered battle to force him out, and SR’s reputation will go down the pan too. 

What stats Nathan? “The positive ones”. 

Cool

This was the worst bit for me. Talk about cop out and not being able to explain a single thing in that press conference with any detail and confidence. You have to think of managers of a football club as football experts, you wouldn’t expect a Scientist or any one in the top of their field giving out answers like these. 

Edited by SaintJakko

7 minutes ago, SaintJakko said:

This was the worst bit for me. Talk about cop out and not being able to explain a single thing in that press conference with any detail and confidence. You have to think of managers of a football club as football experts, you wouldn’t expect a Scientist or any one in the top of their field giving out answers like these. 

He backed himself into a corner by quoting made up stats. Of course it’s going to be scrutinised so why lie, just makes you look a cunt. 

Same goes with claiming to take full responsibility and denying blaming anyone else, which is exactly what he did after Brentford. Complete clown, has no idea what he’s doing and should never have been given a job here. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HKsaint said:

I foresee after heavy defeat by Wolves on this Saturday, NJ will admit that relegation is inevitable (which is not his fault) but he will commit to stay and rebuild the team for immediate return to Premier League. 

I sincerely hope your not unreasonable prediction is incorrect HK my old pal.

25 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

I’m still not convinced as to whether he is the correct man. However having listened to the press conference and having listened to the fans forum from the other night I think there’s room for optimism. We all make mistakes, not everyone is a great orator, we’d all take a great opportunity if it was presented to us and probably most wouldn’t set out to do a poor job if they had such an opportunity. I genuinely think NJ realises he may have reacted wrongly and maybe just maybe what he said was lost in translation. Yes I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt but it helps nobody to keep berating him and from what I’ve heard and certainly from player reactions when we’ve got results in games they like playing for him. That in itself means an awful lot and if on Saturday it’s clear they’re prepared to run through brick walls for him then perhaps we could pull a rabbit from a hat and dig ourselves out of this mess. One thing’s for sure though, the team will need the fans onside…………oh and one more thing…….I’m not part of NJ’s family or close circle of friends!!

But all we keep hearing from both Jones and Ankersen is how well things are going on the training ground - unfortunately you don't get any points for the work you did on the training ground. Furthermore, if that work is so good why is it not reflected on what we see on the pitch? It's nothing more than, fluff, excuses and bullshit.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, SaintJakko said:

TBF to him I think he gave that answer because he didn't want to elaborate any further and it was a quick way to get the guy to move on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

I have to cling to the hope that the Board were genuinely taken aback by the depth of feeling against Jones after the forum and that it may have focused a few minds. Not sure Semmens isn’t there already to be fair.

Probably just wishful thinking however.

Though I agree to an extent, do we really want a board that does what the fans want all the time? Isn't that how them down the road got into their mess 12 years ago that they're still nowhere near recovered from?

• Like 1

I just think Jones is being badly advised at the moment, or the club isn't taking the situation seriously enough. A bit of humble pie, some back tracking, hold his hands up and admit he's been a bit of a wally, would have built some bridges and taken the sting out of the situation.

If Jones and the club really think he has a future, that's what he should have done. It would have taken so little effort to do and stopped the hypa scrutiny. I know that results are the ultimate panacea, but a bit of effort on the PR front would certainly help, especially if they want the best chance to succeed on Saturday.

4 hours ago, Mr Nimbus said:

4 hours ago, goodymatt said:

For those struggling to watch it back, I find the Twitter replay easier than the Saints website.

Didn't listen to it all but he said "In terms of stuff" at least twice in the bits I did listen to. I'll leave it there.

Edited by stknowle
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Blackmore asked him a leading question. There was nothing wrong with what he said. 

Exactly, a cynic could speculate that Blackmore did that knowing Jones would give such an answer.

• Confused 1

Just seen the presser. Firstly, utter joke the way he's being crititised for "bringing God into it" when he was asked about it himself. As someone else said on here earlier, there are many reasons to dislike Jones and want him gone, his faith is not one of them. He was asked how he coped with what happened. He answered. If you ask a Muslim on Saturday what they did the day before and they say "I went to the mosque" they aren't "bringing that into it" and if you ask Richard Dawkins what the title of his most well known book is and he says "The God Delusion" - He isn't forcing his Atheism on you, he's factually answering the question.

Secondly, Jones lost further integrity by claiming that he was "trying to take full responsibility" for things by what he said. He wasn't, that was a feeble attempt at justification. Why he couldn't just say "Yeah, about that, I was so angry at the defeat and performance, I said a stupid thing I didn't mean and I'm sorry. It was no one's fault but mine"? He may have clawed a tiny bit of respect back there.

Thirdly, on a lighter note, anyone else notice that he didn't say "With the greatest of respects" once? I'm thinking he made a conscious effort not to do so!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

A bit of humble pie, some back tracking, hold his hands up and admit he's been a bit of a wally, would have built some bridges and taken the sting out of the situation.

No chance. Wouldn’t make a blind bit of difference. People would be saying “what sort of manager admits he’s a Wally?”. 

• Like 1

I want us to get three points against Wolves but for him to throw a V sign at us all and then resign. That would be ace. A close second would be for us to lose by just enough for the owners to have a viable excuse to sack him, or for the people behind Rasmus' ego to pull at his shirt and say 'come on, mate, surely even you can see it now'. Then for Ankersen to murmur into his gin and tonic, 'okay, but let's say it's for the sake of his health'. Then everyone can take a breath and do the decent thing, appoint someone who is half capable of picking a good team and not appearing like a wiry psychopath from the back of the pub at press conferences, crucifying team spirit by throwing everyone under the bus and stroking pictures of himself in Luton kits and baby oil. And then we can finally move on from this most crushingly embarrassing, tragic period of the club that I and many on here can remember. All by 6pm on Saturday night please. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just want to get back to the actual football. The hatred and conflict surrounding Saints at the moment is doing my head in. Maybe it's a sign of old age but if I were still able to take to me seat on Saturday then I'd be fully behind the team even if I thought they were crap.

• AlexLaw76 changed the title to Nathan Jones - Sacked (Official)!
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones