The Nathan Jones Appreciation Thread

St Chalet

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He’s gone, wrong man wrong job but let’s at least let him leave with a bit of dignity. He did what he thought was right but it wasn’t and I hope he reflects on things. 

Just a shame he didn't seem to have reflected on his time at Stoke. 

NJ, You get my Sympathy, after your big oppertunity failed badly, only if you do not take the compesation pay, take the pay you have been here, accept it didn't work out and request to be paid for the hours you were here. Then you will get my respect. 

Now, back to reality, you will be  a millionare from a few month of shite work. Get paid for work you will never do, or could do and not give ashite on how you have f$#@ked this club. 

Good riddance, charlatian.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I'll give him this - I was quite struck by what is now his final interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64616084

If you can ignore the infuriatingly persistent use of "aggression" and the maddeningly meaningless "front-footed", AND the "God willing" at the end, what you see here is a terrified little bloke who at least has the balls to front up to the camera and clearly, if nothing else, is giving his all and really, really cares. His eyes right at the start, I admit, do pull my heart strings *a little*. I find it hard not to sympathise with what must have felt like the most monumental plight, to an extent.

Plus, he's fundamentally right in this instance - we were good enough for long enough in the game to have won had we have been more ruthless in front of goal. In that respect, for an hour at least, Nathan had done his job.

Obviously he ignores the terrible game management that ultimately contributed to the loss, and I'm clearly not buying the 'going down to 10 was bad for us' nonsense. And none of this changes the fact that I despise the bloke and that this has been a dark, dark chapter. But as God was clearly not willing, seeing fit to shat all over him on God's day, in the name of charity I shall grant him thus - he tried. Very, very hard. He gave his all to our club, though fell so far far short. And the players most definitely let him down, because a lot of them are very nearly as shit as Nathan is.

I hope whatever you go onto next works out better for you, Nathan. I would perhaps not hold out for another Premier League offer.

Yes, this. The players HAVE let him down. Whatever we think of his buzzwords like front-footed and aggression, once the players are on the pitch, it's on them. They can either do as the manager instructed, or overrule it with a better plan. They didn't make and take chances for a second goal yesterday. And yes, he cares passionately in wanting to succeed, albeit for his own glory.

Sadly he didn't have the gravitas to command the respect of the players, and he had no experience in media handling, and his game tactics were amateur and Sunday-park-Dad, so it was unlikely to succeed. Yes, Saints headhunted him, and it is said he declined and Saints pursued him until he agreed to join us. It was an error on the Club side. Jones should have been left at Luton where it was working for him. When that job comes available again, he'll likely go back there.

Until then, I would say "Thanks for giving it a go, Nathan. I didn't like a lot of your interviews and attitude, but I do appreciate your effort."

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

Yes, this. The players HAVE let him down. Whatever we think of his buzzwords like front-footed and aggression, once the players are on the pitch, it's on them. They can either do as the manager instructed, or overrule it with a better plan. They didn't make and take chances for a second goal yesterday. And yes, he cares passionately in wanting to succeed, albeit for his own glory.

Sadly he didn't have the gravitas to command the respect of the players, and he had no experience in media handling, and his game tactics were amateur and Sunday-park-Dad, so it was unlikely to succeed. Yes, Saints headhunted him, and it is said he declined and Saints pursued him until he agreed to join us. It was an error on the Club side. Jones should have been left at Luton where it was working for him. When that job comes available again, he'll likely go back there.

Until then, I would say "Thanks for giving it a go, Nathan. I didn't like a lot of your interviews and attitude, but I do appreciate your effort."

JWP needs to answer a lot of questions IMO. He is one of the only consistent faces in the group which has lost two games 9-0, collapsed in many other games and has captained the team to have the worst season in our history.

I'm not discounting his ability, as his free kicks and technical ability on the ball is top draw - but as an on field leader I think he's been a disgrace, he's led us through a period where we simply have no backbone. I can't imagine captains of the past letting the situation get like this (Fonte/Hammond/VVD etc). He is out of his depth as a captain of this group in my opinion.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Not really. But I do have a feeling he reads the messages on here, so on the off chance he does read it. This is twice in his career he has gone into a club and totally alientated the fan base. Not to mention pissing off Luton fans the first time he left them. So there is a real issue there with his relationship with the fans that he really needs to reflect. We aren't the enemies, and ultimately want to see the club succeed. A couple of things can really change this 

1. Stop going on about our previous struggles. You can mention it sure. But don't keep going on about them. Your job is to fix them. We as fans know the struggles cos we fucking watch our team week in week out. We know exactly what they are, so don't keep going on about them. Fix them! We will be able to see the fixes, and get on board. None of our previous issues were even remotely fixed. It just makes you look desperate when you keep referring back to the previous management.

2. Don't refer to us and the players as 'they'. Like you would do when they say 'they've been letting in goals like this for ages' or 'they've barely won a game this year'. It's a simple language thing, but creates a division between yourself and everyone else. It immediately looks like you are deflecting responsiblity. Refer to everyone as 'we'. Show you care about the players and the club, not just yourself!

3. Meaningless phrases like 'front footed' and 'aggressive' aren't gonna get you very far in the top flight. If results are poor, you are gonna need to show some actual substance of the where you want to play. I don't think many could see a real plan on how we would score goals. Maybe there was, but we couldn't see it on the pitch, and we certainly couldn't see it in interviews because we just keep hearing the same meaningless phrases. Not every manager is going to get a new manager bounce, but at least bring a proper blueprint on the way we want to play. 

You need the fans to succeed, that's just simple. You can not alienate them right from the beginning. You need to come in far more humble. Even a number of our better managers over the last decade, including the likes of Ralph and Koeman, came in humble, despite the fact they have far more standing in the game than yourself. Relax, recognise not every fan is going to love you, but more humility and empathy with the fans will help them. Confidence in your ability is great, but arrogance and obsessing with pointing our your abiltiies is not. If you are confident, the results will speak for themselves

Edited by sydney_saint
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

He gave us Bree and Bednarek back. Whoopee.

That's an interesting point , Bree spoke about his good relationship with Jones, wonder how this will impact his Saints career. (KWP will be fit again next week) 

Trying to think of a positive thing to say...

All I can think of is that, unlike with Pellegrino, we didn't have to break our transfer record sign 'his' man shortly before sacking him. We could even end up making a profit on Bree when he inevitably leaves to go to wherever Jones ends up managing next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

JWP needs to answer a lot of questions IMO. He is one of the only consistent faces in the group which has lost two games 9-0, collapsed in many other games and has captained the team to have the worst season in our history.

I'm not discounting his ability, as his free kicks and technical ability on the ball is top draw - but as an on field leader I think he's been a disgrace, he's led us through a period where we simply have no backbone. I can't imagine captains of the past letting the situation get like this (Fonte/Hammond/VVD etc). He is out of his depth as a captain of this group in my opinion.

Obviously I love JWP like a son but, hand on heart, I don't think he's a great captain.

• Like 3

Absolutely terrible appointment by a smart arse who thinks he is so much smarter than anyone else.  The warning signs were there when it was announced Crocker would be leaving at the end of the season.

Terrible manager, completely unsuited to the Premier League and clearly not a leader - not his fault he was appointed.  But continuing with 5 at the back against 10 men was unconscionable.

And the players should be ashamed of themselves.  For far too long they have been s***e - lets not forget how many defeats we had prior to Jones being appointed.

But Jones playing Bednarek (amongst other serial underperformers) beggared belief and he lost the fans from pretty much day 1.

A very dark period in the history of SFC and who is going to want to come in an manage this s*** show with, no doubt, plenty of interference from the oh so smart one?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Do you think he even understands where he went wrong?

He'll be taking full responsibility, and then throw everyone else into traffic, matching his press conferences here.

I understand why he wanted the job, and why he felt that the time was then right for it, having not felt ready first time. He's been very well compensated for not being ready for it the second time either.

He can dust himself down for the next chance, somewhere between us and Havant. I'm sure one of the statistically best managers, capable of the best on a shoestring, will have no trouble.

He may we'll be able to build up another side, given enough time. And if the players there have respect for him, after this shambles.

In the meantime, he has no shortage of lessons to learn on tactics, squad management, man management and communication skills to keep him ticking over.

Then he do that looking into the mirror thing he was wittering about, to see if the best version of himself stares back.

He'll have learned lots of lessons about this level, and on being brought into a club in certain situations, rather than building one over time.

On the OP, no sensible person wanted him to fail, regardless of varying reservations. It's not sympathy for him as much as for the whole self inflicted shambles.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Jones being the manager when we finally won at Goodison is a bit like Truss being the PM for the Queen’s funeral.

I look forward to Jones explanation in 100 days time on how his tactics worked, but the fault was in the “total football orthodoxy” of our players refusing to hoof it up the pitch. 

• Haha 3

On 12/02/2023 at 11:51, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He’s gone, wrong man wrong job but let’s at least let him leave with a bit of dignity. He did what he thought was right but it wasn’t and I hope he reflects on things. 

He deserves no dignity because he showed none himself, he was an obnoxious, arrogant and an utterly clueless prick with a chip the size of a bus on his shoulder.

I am absolutely delighted he fucked off although it was far from soon enough, horrible little twat

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

That’s what I don’t get though. Why did he immediately change it again after that game? We were fantastic in that match and played one of the best teams in the world off the park. It felt like he’d actually found a system that worked so why on Earth not just stick with that? 

It was a week after the Forest debacle, which was very much Jones's team and tactics. Reports were that the players and Selles had a huge influence in the next few games, which would explain the City (and lesser extent Everton) anomaly. Those wins emboldened the muppet to assert himself back in full control with his "front foot aggression" hoofball, and the following performances and results speak for themselves.

• Like 1

Some of the reaction to him has been pretty embarrassing to be honest - I said it on here before, it’s not his fault he isn’t at the level required, he should never have been appointed by the board. It was the wrong man at the wrong time, and his career will pay the price for it so it’s not like he’s played us and going to ride off into the sunset. He came with good intentions, tried his best, and just wasn’t good enough ultimately. I’m not sure why people are trying to create some feud with the guy, the fans weren’t great to him and he wasn’t great to them back, it is what it is. The board need to get the next one right otherwise faith will be well and truly lost, if it hasn’t been already for most. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

I'll give him this - I was quite struck by what is now his final interview.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64616084

If you can ignore the infuriatingly persistent use of "aggression" and the maddeningly meaningless "front-footed", AND the "God willing" at the end, what you see here is a terrified little bloke who at least has the balls to front up to the camera and clearly, if nothing else, is giving his all and really, really cares. His eyes right at the start, I admit, do pull my heart strings *a little*. I find it hard not to sympathise with what must have felt like the most monumental plight, to an extent.

Plus, he's fundamentally right in this instance - we were good enough for long enough in the game to have won had we have been more ruthless in front of goal. In that respect, for an hour at least, Nathan had done his job.

Obviously he ignores the terrible game management that ultimately contributed to the loss, and I'm clearly not buying the 'going down to 10 was bad for us' nonsense. And none of this changes the fact that I despise the bloke and that this has been a dark, dark chapter. But as God was clearly not willing, seeing fit to shat all over him on God's day, in the name of charity I shall grant him thus - he tried. Very, very hard. He gave his all to our club, though fell so far far short. And the players most definitely let him down, because a lot of them are very nearly as shit as Nathan is.

I hope whatever you go onto next works out better for you, Nathan. I would perhaps not hold out for another Premier League offer.

Absolutely this. He didn’t come here with a view to it ending like this. NJ and Saints were a very poor fit but I certainly don’t bear him any ill will. There’s ten of thousands of people dead from an earthquake not many hours from here so really in the great scheme of things NJ’s shambolic reign isn’t the end of the world. 

• Like 2

I wish him all the success (apart from when he plays Saints), and no doubt his and the clubs paths will cross again (probably next season), which he will relish getting a win over us.

This appointment was totally wrong.  Wrong manager, wrong club and it will always be the wrong time.  Shame on those at Saints who 'scouted him'

I am sure Jones will get another Championship job by the start of next season...

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

"The foolishness of God is wiser than men."  1 Corinthians 1:25

It only gets worse for poor nat:

Deuteronomy 23:2

"No one whose testicles have been crushed or whose penis has been cut off may be admitted into the community of the LORD."

• Haha 1

He said he wasn't ready when we very first approached him - he certainly got that dead right. And filled his pockets in the process of proving his opinion of himself to be correct.............. Driving away from St Marys, he probably had a wry smile as he thought "I told you, but you just didn't listen the first time".

• Haha 1

I’ve posted before that I know people who’ve dealt with him.

This is a case of Schadenfreude.

He’s a nasty, duplicitous, charlatan. I could go into detail of what I’ve been told.  If he has morally good family members reading this site, they don’t need to hear it.

He doesn’t deserve sympathy. He simply found himself on a platform for intense scrutiny…. & it exposed what I’d been told about the chap.

If he was capable, humble, likeable, honest, loyal - then he wouldn’t be the laughing stock he is today.

He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Colin Saint said:

I’ve posted before that I know people who’ve dealt with him.

This is a case of Schadenfreude.

He’s a nasty, duplicitous, charlatan. I could go into detail of what I’ve been told.  If he has morally good family members reading this site, they don’t need to hear it.

He doesn’t deserve sympathy. He simply found himself on a platform for intense scrutiny…. & it exposed what I’d been told about the chap.

If he was capable, humble, likeable, honest, loyal - then he wouldn’t be the laughing stock he is today.

He’s not the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy.

I'd be interested if you could elaborate. What were you told and by whom? Like I said it's clear he's a narcissist, would be interesting to know anything else about him. 

On 12/02/2023 at 13:44, S-Clarke said:

Because, free-kicks aside, he might be out of his depth as a Premier League footballer? 

How many poor seasons did he (and more recently we) go through before his free-kick ability became something to acknowledge, while he was on the pitch for every single minute of the ride with the armband? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, melmacian_saint said:

Because, free-kicks aside, he might be out of his depth as a Premier League footballer? 

How many poor seasons did he (and more recently we) go through before his free-kick ability became something to acknowledge, while he was on the pitch for every single minute of the ride with the armband? 

I wouldn't say he's out of his depth in an ability sense, but he needs to have the right players around him otherwise he can be gobbled up.

If he's got that protection around him and he has the space to operate, technically, he's superb. He can spot a pass, play a pass, has a great engine, great long range shot on him and is a great technician of the football - but his physicality means that he gets gobbled up if we're weak in there, i.e. he's a alongside Diallo or a half fit kid!

We missed a trick not keeping Romeu, and Rasmus did admit that was something they wouldn't have allowed if they could turn back the clock.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I wouldn't say he's out of his depth in an ability sense, but he needs to have the right players around him otherwise he can be gobbled up.

If he's got that protection around him and he has the space to operate, technically, he's superb. He can spot a pass, play a pass, has a great engine, great long range shot on him and is a great technician of the football - but his physicality means that he gets gobbled up if we're weak in there, i.e. he's a alongside Diallo or a half fit kid!

We missed a trick not keeping Romeu, and Rasmus did admit that was something they wouldn't have allowed if they could turn back the clock.

He can spot a pass sideways or back but rarely forward,he really doesn't have a great engine and what is a great technician of the football mean.ive always thought of him as an average player but smart enough to create a specialism in free kicks as he realised he wasn't that talented.

• Like 2

On 12/02/2023 at 15:36, SotonianWill said:

I look forward to Jones explanation in 100 days time on how his tactics worked, but the fault was in the “total football orthodoxy” of our players refusing to hoof it up the pitch. 

You mean the Liz Truss approach? Everybody our of step except me

36 minutes ago, haddock22 said:

Hhe really doesn't have a great engine

JWP does, he is always covering and making himself available, he never hides like some players: what he doesn't have is acceleration or pace and there's not much you can do about that. Sometimes I get the feeling that he is trying to do too much to cover, but the first half display against Wolves with Lavia and Alcaraz showed promise for our midfield.

• Like 1