Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread

Midfield_General

Right. Blank sheet of paper and let's start again. 16 matches to play and we probably need something like 21-22 points.

Take Bazunu out of the firing line, go 4 at the back, compact three in the middle to try and protect the defence a bit more and get some attackers with goals in them to play off Onuachu. 

Caballero

KWP (Bree if KWP out)   Caleta-Car   Salisu   Perraud

JWP        Lavia      Alcaraz

Sulemana    Onuachu    Orsic

Subs: Bazunu, ABK, Maitland-Niles, S. Armstrong, Edozie, Adams, A. Armstrong, Mara, and Bree if KWP fit (Djenepo if he's not). 

Dropped from the squad without trace, never to darken the shirt again: Bednarek, Lyanco, Elyonoussi, Diallo, Walcott, Aribo. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 22

1 minute ago, Midfield_General said:

Right. Blank sheet of paper and let's start again. 16 matches to play and we probably need something like 21-22 points.

Take Bazunu out of the firing line, go 4 at the back, compact three in the middle to try and protect the defence a bit more get and some attackers with goals in them to play off Onuachu. 

Cabellero

KWP (Bree if KWP out)   Caleta-Carr   Salisu   Perraud

Subs: Bazunu, ABK, Maitland-Niles, S. Armstrong, Edozie, Adams, A. Armstrong, Mara, and Bree if KWP fit (Djenepo if he's not). 

Dropped from the squad without trace, never to darken the shirt again: Bednarek, Lyanco, Elyonoussi, Diallo, Walcott, Aribo. 

The front three have very limited experience of this league and have only been here a couple of weeks.

But I’m not sure who would be a better choice.

Chelsea's attack is electric, so I don't see a scenario where they don't score against our lot.

I think we could worry them in defence though, stick Sulemana on Cucarella's side - he's had the worst start to Chelsea than you can imagine. Ounachu will need to be a lot cleverer though up against Thiago Silva, he's going to need a lot more to his game against experienced CB's like him.

I'm not expecting anything,  so anything we do get will be an extra bonus. It does feel like we're going into this game with a bit of fresh air though.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea vs Saints - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
8 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Hopefully we finally get a new manager bounce. Chelsea haven’t been great for a while, so in theory we could get something. 

Although I wouldn’t bet on it. Chelsea 3-0 or 4-0 is more likely unfortunately. 

Chelsea have scored 4 goals in their last 8, so i'd be gutted if we let them score 3/4.

It's a case of first do no harm in the team selected.

Above all else maintain discipline and don't panic.

Caballero

KWP DCC Salisu Perraud

Orsic Lavia JWP Alcaraz

Sulemana Adams

Stay aggressive but maintain discipline, press off the ball, pass fast and accurate, encourage movement. Pull Chelsea around as much as possible.

S Armstrong Edozie, and Onuachu at the ready to keep Chelsea thinking.

I'd also protect Lavia. Sub with Diallo after 65 mins.]

I'd also have Ballard on the bench. Send a positive message. He can have Bendareks place.

Oh and levels of shithousery at an all time high.

• Like 2

Why the hell is anyone wanting our biggest waster of chances, Adams anywhere near the team. I knew Jones didn't have a clue when he brought Adams on yesterday to try and get an equaliser. He is bloody hopeless as a striker. We've just paid £20ish m for a goalscorer so play him. As for Orsic he tore Chelsea apart not so long ago. Personally I'd go Bazunu, KWP ABK DCC Salisu, JWP Lavia Alcazar, Sulemana Onuachu Orsic. Play the full backs as out and out defenders. No more Kamikaze fullbacks leaving acres of space behind them to be exploited. Keep a solid five defenders including Lavia holding in front of the centre backs.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, derry said:

Why the hell is anyone wanting our biggest waster of chances, Adams anywhere near the team. I knew Jones didn't have a clue when he brought Adams on yesterday to try and get an equaliser. He is bloody hopeless as a striker. We've just paid £20ish m for a goalscorer so play him. As for Orsic he tore Chelsea apart not so long ago. Personally I'd go Bazunu, KWP ABK DCC Salisu, JWP Lavia Alcazar, Sulemana Onuachu Orsic. Play the full backs as out and out defenders. No more Kamikaze fullbacks leaving acres of space behind them to be exploited. Keep a solid five defenders including Lavia holding in front of the centre backs.

My reason is that first I don't consider him useless, and his link up/holding/pressing is pretty good. I see him as a creator not scorer. I'm pretty sure Sulemana will score soon.

Onuachu is still acclimatising, I'd bring him on early second half to cause havoc.

My team selection was all about control and discipline. Something that has been missing for a few years!

• Like 2

Caballero

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

Diallo Lavia 

Sulemana JWP Orsic

Onuachu

Defend deeply and use counter-attack. The back 4 and 2 DM are the same as that we won 2-1 in last Aug. We have the fastest players to run down the two flanks and feed the tallest striker in the primer league. Use all our strengths. Most important, Caballero in goal to get some mercy. 

• Like 2

Caballero

KWP (or Bree)  DCC. Salisu. Perraud

Lavia

Sulemana. JWP. Stu A

Tall Pall. Arma.

Subs: Baz, Che, Orsic, Edozie, Mara, ABK, Lyanco, KWP/Bree, Djenepo, Ely

Attack is best form of defence against Chelsea right now and fuck it, what have we got to lose - don’t score, don’t win games?  We need masses of pace and I’ve not seen that from Orsic yet so he’s benched. Edozie on for Stu at about 60mins to run at tired legs. I’ve noticed Tall Paul (like Crouchy) is actually better with his feet than his head, so would tell them to only hoof it when clearing defensive lines…i.e. don’t risk tip-tap passing it out at the back unless it’s clear Chelsea are not pressing.

I hope Selles doesn’t try anything too radical otherwise it’ll be too much for the team and it’ll be another shitshow. Something tells me though that we’ll see 5 at the back again with Bednarek in place…reckon that’s his thing. A win would be a huge moral booster. It might also see Selles stay in post until end of season and frankly I wouldn’t mind that.

10 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Caballero

KWP (or Bree)  DCC. Salisu. Perraud

Lavia

Sulemana. JWP. Stu A

Tall Pall. Arma.

Subs: Baz, Che, Orsic, Edozie, Mara, ABK, Lyanco, KWP/Bree, Djenepo, Ely

Attack is best form of defence against Chelsea right now and fuck it, what have we got to lose - don’t score, don’t win games?  We need masses of pace and I’ve not seen that from Orsic yet so he’s benched. Edozie on for Stu at about 60mins to run at tired legs. I’ve noticed Tall Paul (like Crouchy) is actually better with his feet than his head, so would tell them to only hoof it when clearing defensive lines…i.e. don’t risk tip-tap passing it out at the back unless it’s clear Chelsea are not pressing.

I hope Selles doesn’t try anything too radical otherwise it’ll be too much for the team and it’ll be another shitshow. Something tells me though that we’ll see 5 at the back again with Bednarek in place…reckon that’s his thing. A win would be a huge moral booster. It might also see Selles stay in post until end of season and frankly I wouldn’t mind that.

Have you just completely forgotten about Alcaraz or do you just not like him?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Have you just completely forgotten about Alcaraz or do you just not like him?

Good point well made! Trouble is I’m not sure where he’d best fit in, although I might be tempted to play him instead of JWP…I know, controversial. Perhaps start him instead of Stu A or push Sully up front and have Alcatraz on the right.

14 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Free hit this one IMO…

Bazunu; KWP (Bree) DCC Salisu Perraud; JWP Lavia Alcaraz; Sulemena Onuacho Elyounoussi 

Elyohnoussi to play the “defensive winger” role in this one.

Mostly I think you’re a decent poster … and then you go and select Ely. ???

He shouldn’t be anywhere near a premier league team.
Otherwise I mostly agree with the team. I might move Salisu to left back and play ABK. I don’t rate him as a left back, but I don’t rate Perraud defensively either. FWIW I’d pick any of Armstrong, Armstrong, Orsic, Djenepo, Edozie, KWP, Walcott, Diallo or Perraud ahead of Ely. Probably even Lyanco 😂

• Like 2

From my seat I thought in the first half on Saturday - we actually had, for once, some presence in midfield with Lavia, Charly, Sulemena, with JWP tidying up. Someone was always showing for the ball receiving it, keeping it and recovering it when lost.  (where it vanished to second half - goodness knows) That quartet needs polishing into a unit, as they are all able footballers.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Mostly I think you’re a decent poster … and then you go and select Ely. ???

He shouldn’t be anywhere near a premier league team.
Otherwise I mostly agree with the team. I might move Salisu to left back and play ABK. I don’t rate him as a left back, but I don’t rate Perraud defensively either. FWIW I’d pick any of Armstrong, Armstrong, Orsic, Djenepo, Edozie, KWP, Walcott, Diallo or Perraud ahead of Ely. Probably even Lyanco 😂

Tbf, I'm only picking Elyounoussi because it's Chelsea away and he's probably the best defensively out of all our wide players. Tbh, I don't care massively

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Bazunu;

KWP, DCC, Salisu, Perraud;

Lavia, JWP;

Stuey, Alcaraz, Sulemana;

Onuachu. 

Like this a lot. Choice between stuey/orsic/edozie on that wing for flavour. If it’s going to be Marsch soccer I think I’d start with Edozie for the press. Big Paul the target outlet when they try to press us back. Sulemana plays trigger. Mara on later when big Paul tires so we have a pacy outlet to run the channel.

Easily beat Chelsky 3-1 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Southner said:

Chelsea's form gives me a little bit of hope. Plus they've got Dortmund tomorrow, so might be tired and sleepy on Saturday.

Screenshot_20230214-192018_Chrome.jpg

That form practically matches ours. And with our expected 'manager leaving' bounce, I'm looking forward to this game more and more. Should be a good positive atmosphere because Chelsea always give us a fair allocation. 

32 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

That form practically matches ours. And with our expected 'manager leaving' bounce, I'm looking forward to this game more and more. Should be a good positive atmosphere because Chelsea always give us a fair allocation. 

I'm quietly confident that we'll get something out of this. Don't tell anyone though. I'll deny it. 

• Haha 2

On 12/02/2023 at 11:22, Midfield_General said:

Take Bazunu out of the firing line, go 4 at the back, compact three in the middle to try and protect the defence a bit more and get some attackers with goals in them to play off Onuachu. 

Caballero

KWP (Bree if KWP out)   Caleta-Car   Salisu   Perraud

Like this though somewhat inexperienced in the front 3. Agree its a free hit but don't want the new players confidence to get destroyed this early, plenty of time for that later!

I'd keep Lyanco (for when we need someone to do some kicking and winding up of opponents), Diallo (to replace a tiring CM with 10 to go) and Aribo (there is something in there, hoping the new manager can find it) but the rest can disappear on a free transfer somewhere, anywhere in fact.

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 1

On 13/02/2023 at 05:13, HKsaint said:

Caballero

KWP ABK Salisu Perraud

Diallo Lavia 

Sulemana JWP Orsic

Onuachu

Defend deeply and use counter-attack. The back 4 and 2 DM are the same as that we won 2-1 in last Aug. We have the fastest players to run down the two flanks and feed the tallest striker in the primer league. Use all our strengths. Most important, Caballero in goal to get some mercy. 

Alcatraz instead of Diallo.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Chelsea 0-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic