Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

15 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Sky Sports reporting that the Liverpool bid for Lavia was actually 40m and not the 37m that was reported earlier.

It’s Sky, probably just rounding it up to sound better. 
Still, pleasing we appear to be holding out for more, as we should. Let’s hope Chelsea join the party. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Brightside said:

It’s Sky, probably just rounding it up to sound better. 
Still, pleasing we appear to be holding out for more, as we should. Let’s hope Chelsea join the party. 

Would expect Arsenal and possibly even city/united to sniff around as well tbh.

Actually for a team like Liverpool, 37 Mill isn't a bad opening bid. Unlike West Ham's typical low ball offer for JWP. I can see us getting 50 mill for Lavia but I think around 35mill (with or without clauses) would be about right for JWP. Bang in 15mill for Salisu or Adams and that's 100 mill right there, not to mention what we'd get for other players.

My biggest concern this summer is that we are going to sell too much talent and end up with another mediocre team relying on youth. We absolutely need to be keeping the likes of Tella and Sulemana if possible, as well as one of Tino or KWP. We need a couple more incomings too. Piroe would be huge.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

KWP rumours had gone very quiet. It sucks to have a few of our players linked to Fulham, first time in a very long time they are more attractive than us.

Will swap positions by next season especially if they lose their striker to the middle east.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

KWP rumours had gone very quiet. It sucks to have a few of our players linked to Fulham, first time in a very long time they are more attractive than us.

I remember when we loaned players from Reading, that sucked 

• Like 2

We are caught between a rock and a hard place right now. 
for Martin to achieve what he wants too, the shortlist of players to bring in is drawn up,….however can’t be done until some are shifted out out.

but we are not going to roll over at the first bid for any of our saleable assets. 
it’s going to get just a tad frantic over the next couple of weeks.

In which in the short term,on the pitch, it will be detrimental and frustrating.
time is not on our side to get off to a flyer this coming season.  

As above, we aren’t going to roll over and accept the first offer that comes our way.

Equally, people aren’t going to be paying mega bucks for the likes of Djenepo, Lyanco, Perraud, Onuachu etc because of their wages. 

Cut losses on the deadwood, the regular players are the ones we need to stay strong on.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Small point. The first team squad has 29 players. I wander who he's disregarded to only consider it 27 players? 

On the general point though, we need a massive clear out, and sharpish. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, egg said:

Small point. The first team squad has 29 players. I wander who he's disregarded to only consider it 27 players? 

On the general point though, we need a massive clear out, and sharpish. 

Onuachu hasn't had a look in. Not injured as he's been training so he's presumably one. 

Salisu seems to have disappeared as well.

39 minutes ago, egg said:

Possibly just made a mistake or perhaps we've sold two players this week that have yet to be announced.

We lost Willy, who we allegedly offered a contract, so there must be room in the squad for a new keeper? McCarthy down to 3rd choice (bloody expensive 3rd choice, but he simply cannot play), Baz / new keeper battling for no1. 

Arguably the most important signing we could make all summer. 

• Like 1

I was a bit shocked to see Charles in at CB last night…did an ok job, but it’s clear ABK and Salisu are out in the cold. The GK situation is a disaster in waiting - neither Baz or McCarthy have what it takes. At times there were huge holes left in central midfield which will be ruthlessly exploited by most of the teams in the Championship, but the introduction of Smallbone helped.

Think Che and Arma we’re not great last night, although I lost count of the number of times Che could have been fed the ball but was ignored. The team are obviously under strict instructions not to change the system and resist changing from a pass it out from the back method, which I personally think is a big mistake as it stifles invention and creativity. They must have an opportunity to put one over the back for Tella or AAA to run onto occasionally (in fact this happened a couple of times in the 2nd half and it worked). Intro of Stu Armstrong really turned the game for us…he’s such a good influence on the ball and his goal was superbly taken. He should be a starter as (at his best) he’s more effective than Alcarez.

Overall we could be a very effective and successful side, however I can see that there are big risks to how Martin wants us to play. There will be many turnovers in midfield leading to breakaway goals. It will be a season of ups and downs, but I doubt it will be one that ends in promotion unless a decent striker and a better no.1 are brought in.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dman said:

We lost Willy, who we allegedly offered a contract, so there must be room in the squad for a new keeper? McCarthy down to 3rd choice (bloody expensive 3rd choice, but he simply cannot play), Baz / new keeper battling for no1. 

Didn't we sign that new U21 Keeper from City's B Team to effectively replace Willy?

There is more chance of us keeping Lavia than us signing a GK this summer. We'll have to buckle up and make sure we score lots of goals!

21 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I was a bit shocked to see Charles in at CB last night…did an ok job, but it’s clear ABK and Salisu are out in the cold. The GK situation is a disaster in waiting - neither Baz or McCarthy have what it takes. At times there were huge holes left in central midfield which will be ruthlessly exploited by most of the teams in the Championship, but the introduction of Smallbone helped.

Think Che and Arma we’re not great last night, although I lost count of the number of times Che could have been fed the ball but was ignored. The team are obviously under strict instructions not to change the system and resist changing from a pass it out from the back method, which I personally think is a big mistake as it stifles invention and creativity. They must have an opportunity to put one over the back for Tella or AAA to run onto occasionally (in fact this happened a couple of times in the 2nd half and it worked). Intro of Stu Armstrong really turned the game for us…he’s such a good influence on the ball and his goal was superbly taken. He should be a starter as (at his best) he’s more effective than Alcarez.

Overall we could be a very effective and successful side, however I can see that there are big risks to how Martin wants us to play. There will be many turnovers in midfield leading to breakaway goals. It will be a season of ups and downs, but I doubt it will be one that ends in promotion unless a decent striker and a better no.1 are brought in.

Even though KWP made a mistake losing the ball in the centre circle there is no way we sould have been caught on the counter like that especially at that late stage in the game. We had numbers behind the ball but so high up the pitch meaning our slow defenders were exposed. If we intend to play such a high line there is no way we can play bednarek, Stephens and DCC as the are all very slow. Lyanco the quickest but he is a liability with his regular brain farts. So ideally two new CBs, a GK, CDM (can't just have Charles) and a striker (replace Adams). We obviously need to move out a few to make way. I'm sure saints have players lined up in key areas but can't move until we ship some more players out. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Didn't we sign that new U21 Keeper from City's B Team to effectively replace Willy?

I don't want to reprise the `expectation' discussion we had regarding the City signings from last summer, but the official website said this about Josh McNamara:

The 19-year-old joins the club on a two-year deal and will link up with Dave Horseman's Under-21s for the 2023/24 season.

which suggests he is not expected to be playing for the first team this season. However, should he or any of the other young keeper impress, perhaps they could fill in on the event of injury.

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

It's not so much the turnovers in midfield that worry me I'm more worried about the constant turnovers close to our goal! Some of our play last night was nothing short of suicidal. We will never be so good that a healthy boot up the park won't be the best option. If the players are being drilled that they must never do this then we're going to really struggle because teams will get wise quickly and press us high.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dman said:

There may be room for a cheap third choice. We're not going to be able to afford to have Mccarthy(probably 1 of the highest paid keepers in the league) as 3rd choice.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

There may be room for a cheap third choice. We're not going to be able to afford to have Mccarthy(probably 1 of the highest paid keepers in the league) as 3rd choice.

So we're stuck between a rock and a hard place then because if we don't bring in a new number one keeper, thus pushing McCarthy down to number three, we won't get near the play-offs never mind automatic promotion. If those in charge have not realised this they are very short sighted in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

If we overspend on GKs to the detriment of other areas that's what we need to do.  I was hoping Baz would come good this season (and he still might) but silly mistakes in preseason are making me nervous.  A solid gk should be our top priority, and not be able to shift McCarthy shouldn't change that

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

If we overspend on GKs to the detriment of other areas that's what we need to do.  I was hoping Baz would come good this season (and he still might) but silly mistakes in preseason are making me nervous.  A solid gk should be our top priority, and not be able to shift McCarthy shouldn't change that

Wonder if the club will seek a cheap veteran replacement for Caballero. Could Joe Lewis be on their radar.  Given the investment in Bazanu i'm pretty sure he'll be given the nod as the 1st choice. They may re-think if he starts horribly in the league. In no way would i consider GK a top priority.

20 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Wonder if the club will seek a cheap veteran replacement for Caballero. Could Joe Lewis be on their radar.  Given the investment in Bazanu i'm pretty sure he'll be given the nod as the 1st choice. They may re-think if he starts horribly in the league. In no way would i consider GK a top priority.

Totally agree and it’s a relief no one has come in for bazanu 

22 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Key to a good transfer is not just getting in good young players but to strengthen the positions that we are most weak .. there was a lot of aspects to getting relegated last year but having a Gk who doesn’t save anything and a striker who misses sitters as our first choices certainly was a big factor in us not getting anything from tight games .

we need to look at the weakest links and upgrade there, it’s obvious the weakest links are gk and striker just like last year .., and also cb .. tbh I think we are fine atm with the cms even if it’s smallbone and Charles , the wingers and fullbacks also fine..

goalkeeoer position absolutely needs addressing  we can’t let the fact we have McCarthy and baz who we can’t shift ruin our season .. a nice solid experienced keeper who Is good at championship level shouldn’t cost the earth .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Not as much as knocking Blackpool out of the cup and having pundits call it a ‘giant killing’.

Whilst singing ‘Premier League your having a laugh’ and subsequently upsetting their manager (Holloway?)

2 hours ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Even though KWP made a mistake losing the ball in the centre circle there is no way we sould have been caught on the counter like that especially at that late stage in the game. We had numbers behind the ball but so high up the pitch meaning our slow defenders were exposed. If we intend to play such a high line there is no way we can play bednarek, Stephens and DCC as the are all very slow. Lyanco the quickest but he is a liability with his regular brain farts. So ideally two new CBs, a GK, CDM (can't just have Charles) and a striker (replace Adams). We obviously need to move out a few to make way. I'm sure saints have players lined up in key areas but can't move until we ship some more players out. 

I actually said this in one of the other threads

I like this RM system, think it potentially will be very effective in the Champ… BUT… we are going to be subjected to team’s attempting to quickly break behind out high press, and so we’ll need defenders/No.6 that is able to react quickly

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Would the mental gymnastics the Liverpool fans would do if Chelsea or someone else beat them to lavia.

Ohhh the humanity! How unfair that would be to the little darlings.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

I see Morgan Schneiderlin is a free agent at age 33. Heart says he could still do a job for us but head says probably not.

Would a 33 year old MS in our midfield be a beter option than a 40 year old Fonte at CB?

44 minutes ago, Dr. Kucho said:

Whilst singing ‘Premier League your having a laugh’ and subsequently upsetting their manager (Holloway?)

That was it. He took real umbrage to it after the game.

Then promptly disappeared from the PL never to be seen again. 

• Like 1

Strange summer so far. None of our most valuable players have left. Will all be crammed at the end I guess.

And we've failed to sign a goalscorer. I accept AA and Che have been prolific at this level before but their form has been so bad it may be unrecoverable.

Feel like we still needed to freshen things up. 

• Like 1