Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, mitch01 said:

I'm actually surprised Scott is going for that little. Think he'll be a fixture in England's midfield in a few years. £30m.for JWP slightly on the low side for me but combined with (hopefully) £50m for Lavia and it rounds out OK.

Potentially 120m for three players is a good base to start again from.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Cannot help but be concerned about the instability wholesale changes to the 1st team (I.e. the 14 odd best players) may bring. However, the key is in the word team…they’ve not been that for three seasons now and the hope must be that Martin will be able to re-shape the squad in a positive manner and keep everyone on side with the re-build plans. Likewise Wilcox.

And that brings me to my biggest concern. Players come and go, but it’s the chopping and changing of the key management figures during a long term project that can be super damaging. What’s keeping Wilcox here? It’ll only take a decent offer from a Prem or Euro club to tempt him away from Saints and that would leave the project in tatters (just like Shields). And if Martin starts having a modicum of success this year and there’s a Prem club struggling looking for a new Manager near Christmas, they might prise him away before the project is complete, leaving us once again with a squad shaped by a Manager no longer here. Then there’s the risk of further poor managerial changes, but recruiting in the Championship.

The future is certainly looking somewhat ‘grey’ at the moment and to be honest I can foresee more than one season in the Championship - there’s too much change to expect promotion. The success or otherwise of the next 3-4 weeks will determine our fate, including whether another relegation is on the cards. It’s happened to other clubs our size…it’s not out of the question. SR’s new found wealth needs to be spent and very wisely too.

#jurysout

Eee. It's bein' so cheerful what keeps me goin'!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

But he only got a high five of goals in 29 league games. Unless he scored 5 a game in cup games? How many assists did he get? That may sway me.

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore
Hold me close, sway me more

I had to get the next verse…. 
6 assists 

7 minutes ago, cf saint said:

I had to get the next verse…. 
6 assists 

Poor amount.

Like a flower bending in the breeze
Bend with me, sway with ease
When we dance, you have a way with me
Stay with me, sway with me

*Edit You don't actually have a way with me 😳

Edited by Master Bates
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Think the same was said the summer they bought Brooks, Ibe Solanke, Mepham etc. All good young players on paper but didnt do it at PL level and eventually resulted in relegation

Agree, to me they look like, “if we go down, let’s come straight back up again,” transfers, more than anything else. None of them screams ‘PL player’.

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In less than 24 hours Alex McCarthy will be the new highest paid player at Southampton. 

His wage was cut significantly due to not playing enough games last season. Let's just pretend he got an additional 40% relegation reduction too. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Pretty sure they did sell their best players (Pope, Tarkowski, McNeil, Mee, Weghorst etc) and learn a new possession based style after Dyche-ball. Stylistically they had a lot of similarities to Swansea, lots of the ball, lots of shots, few shots against. In fact they were the only team that had more possession and shots than Swansea. Seems a fairly logical comparison to me.

You could argue our squad was much better, certainly in terms of asset value and that gives us more freedom in the market than they had. It’s a shame the teams we are competing against for promotion are stronger this time around.

OK so style wise they may be similar, but their squad was and is quite different. Defensively they were one of, if not the best in the Championship under Kompany. We were and still are far from that, with little prospect of a new pair of CB’s making a difference. And I would wager if we played them now we’d be no match whatsoever.

We desperately are crying out for height, experience and mental toughness... 

Are we in the market for a few ard tough tackling b##strds 

That was the issue last season squad had a weak mentality soon as the opposition scored.

Heads would drop and we would fold like deckchairs in a rainstorm...🤣🤣🤣

Forget talent and poncing around get Piroe in up top and a couple of enforcers in midfield and defence....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

We desperately are crying out for height, experience and mental toughness... 

Are we in the market for a few ard tough tackling b##strds 

That was the issue last season squad had a weak mentality soon as the opposition scored.

Heads would drop and we would fold like deckchairs in a rainstorm...🤣🤣🤣

Forget talent and poncing around get Piroe in up top and a couple of enforcers in midfield and defence....

Like Lyanco. Yep that’ll do it. 😉

• Haha 3

Just now, SaintTex said:

mmhmm, there was a lot of bedwetting in here last season, too - and look, nothing bad happened.

Exactly! People were told off last summer for expressing any concerns and that we'd get everything we needed by the end of the window. That ended terribly... 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

OK so style wise they may be similar, but their squad was and is quite different. Defensively they were one of, if not the best in the Championship under Kompany. We were and still are far from that, with little prospect of a new pair of CB’s making a difference. And I would wager if we played them now we’d be no match whatsoever.

Agree defensively we have concerns. 4 shots on target against us so far this season and all were goals. Martin’s Swansea also conceded more than expected from few chances given away. Let’s see where we are on September 1st, we should have a better idea if we can emulate Burnley’s successful season or not by then.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Bournemouth having a good window. Alex Scott, Justin Kluivert and now Max Aarons.

Kluivert is massively overrated imo. I think he'll be a poor bit of buisness. Scott is obviously untested at that level but looks a decent signing and I highy rate Aarons. 

I still think they'll struggle though, but will likley have enough as the leauge is going to be really weak next year. 

Sheff Utd seemingly going down without a fight. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Agree defensively we have concerns. 4 shots on target against us so far this season and all were goals. Martin’s Swansea also conceded more than expected from few chances given away. Let’s see where we are on September 1st, we should have a better idea if we can emulate Burnley’s successful season or not by then.

To be honest last season we had the same problem. Seemed to concede most times the opposition had a chance. I don't doubt Martin's style will leave us a bit exposed, I just feel the one thing that's been a constant is the same set of defenders/goalkeepers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

To be honest last season we had the same problem. Seemed to concede most times the opposition had a chance. I don't doubt Martin's style will leave us a bit exposed, I just feel the one thing that's been a constant is the same set of defenders/goalkeepers. 

If you’ve got bazanu in goal you are going to concede goals. The stats bear that out. The fact he’s still number one is  a good indicator to me that SR haven’t learnt from last season 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Kluivert is massively overrated imo. I think he'll be a poor bit of buisness. Scott is obviously untested at that level but looks a decent signing and I highy rate Aarons. 

I still think they'll struggle though, but will likley have enough as the leauge is going to be really weak next year. 

Sheff Utd seemingly going down without a fight. 

And without kicking a ball yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cf saint said:

One player I actually know.  Was pretty good at Estoril last year, few tricks, fairly quick and contributed well.  Estoril fans wanted him back.  Feels like he needs a breakout season which is why he is off on loan - maybe worth a punt as a loan with option.  He seems to have enough to make a step up (quite a strong player for a winger) but I don’t think his level last year would be enough. 

Do you support Estoril or see their games? I was at Estoril vs Belenenses (my Portuguese team) in the cup two weeks ago. Cute little stadium in town, fun evening out.

4 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

We can't afford that you freaking idiot. Go stand in the mirror and slap yourself.

Ok let me be more realistic, loan offer for Mpabbe, 100m for his wages for the year.

Edit. Sorry this edit took so long I switched my keyboard to Aramaic language and believe it or not I am not the Messiah I'm just a very naughty boy.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Ok let me be more realistic, loan offer for Mpabbe, 100m for his wages for the year.

Edit. Sorry this edit took so long I switched my keyboard to Aramaic language and believe it or not I am not the Messiah I'm just a very naughty boy.

Where you getting £100m from? Bit Coin or Monopoly?

No edits were needed in this transaction.

5 hours ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Some serious bedwetting in here after one player, that the club expected to leave since the window opened, has left. Only the second player to go that fans wanted to keep, and some are acting like its a fire sale.

There is no indication that SR are selling all our players and hoping for midtable. Everyone at the club has said the target this year is promotion. We have held firm in our evaluation of good players to get the maximum fees. We have rejected bids for multiple players who have had interest from the Premier League: Stephens (Bournemouth), Smallbone (Sheff Utd), Alcaraz (Brighton) and Tella (Burnley).

Lavia, Bella-Kotchap, Walker-Peters and Adams are the only players that now seem very likely to go and not all of them are a certainty.

SR have been clear for their model of selling players like Lavia for five times their cost to work, we have to be in the Premier League. The squad is far too big, and once more of the players who aren't up to standard (many played on Tuesday) are moved then we will see incomings.

Some of you are delusional about the state of the Championship. The gulf between the Championship and the Premier League has grown exponentially since we were last here. We have an extremely talented team for this level, that was poorly managed last season. It will take a couple of months for the players to get the system and the results to follow.

Our squad, currently, is far better than Burnley's that won the league last season. This year will be tougher, but the Championship has never seen squads of the quality that us and Leicester have before. It would be insane for SR to not try and go up, when the chances of bouncing straight back are always far better in the first year.

There is three weeks of the window left. I don't feel like we have missed out on anyone, except possibly Aarons (who we don't want or need if the club feel they can keep KWP). Lets try and wait until we have sold some more dross and Wilcox has had a chance to bring players in before judging him.

Hopefully we still sell KWP and ABK, they were 2 of the biggest culprits of gutless, lazy, minimum effort performances from last season, along with Salisu, Aribo, Orsic, AMN and Mara. As talented as they are we don’t need big time charlie pricks this season. If we can get rid of dismal Lyanco, Onuachu and McCarthy, maybe Bree as well as the above then it’s a good job done. 
Then we can hopefully rebuild with people that actually want to be here.

I wouldn’t give a shite if Tella was sold either, his Instagram congrats to Livramento for moving and his comments about wanting to celebrate with Aribo but only finding the manager indicate he’s probably not invested in Saints. 

If it takes this season to rebuild without the baby Bentleys and go up next year with good lads that want to wear the shirt then so be it, hopefully Wilcox stops the recent trend of car crash scouting though 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, LegalEagle said:

Now that would put the cat amongst the pigeons. I thought JWP was having his medical in the morning?!

Just a random thought. Maybe the Flynn Downes part of the deal is a bit of a non-starter and either they or us have pulled the plug on it. Or Wet Spam playing silly buggers, "You fuck around with us and we'll fuck around with you" in a good old East End tradition. In my opinion, if they haven't bought him by tomorrow night we should play him against Norwich.

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

I think some people on this forum need to lay off the crack pipe of social media clickbait.

What do you mean?! These tweets are brilliant - it means we're keeping Lavia AND JWP. 

• Haha 3

When you get to this stage of the window, twitter is even more of a cesspit for wannabe ITKs making up shit for a laugh.

Then you have SSN's chuckle brothers, and Fabrizio sensationalising things for no reason. Fans lap it up though, the state of the replies to some of the tweets make me feel worried for humanity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Fuck all this transfer shit.  Let’s smash those fucking carrot sucking cunts on Saturday.

I concur. My wife does indeed suck on carrots and she can be a cunt. Fucking? Been married for years so... 😁

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

When you get to this stage of the window, twitter is even more of a cesspit for wannabe ITKs making up shit for a laugh.

Then you have SSN's chuckle brothers, and Fabrizio sensationalising things for no reason. Fans lap it up though, the state of the replies to some of the tweets make me feel worried for humanity.

I’m no longer worried - much easier if you just give up entirely. Bit like how I gave up on last season after the Wolves game. 
Surrender early, it’s less painful that way.