Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

10 minutes ago, Dman said:

I'm going to start to measure inflation by the cost of a James Blunt ticket. £85 each, blimey.. makes the fee paid for Tall Paul look a bargain

Just hope your daughters aren’t obsessed with Taylor Swift. Eye watering gig prices 

56 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Bit of info on him here: https://themastermindsite.com/2023/04/29/why-tajon-buchanan-is-perfect-for-inter-milan-tactical-analysis/

Seems like he's an attack minded wingback.  Could be decent cover for full back and winger roles especially if someone like Bree leaves.

Remember him from the last World Cup where he played right wing/mid. Rapid and looked very good from what I saw

A quick trawl of the interwebz suggests

Onuachu on loan to Metz
Mara to stay
ABK to stay (not sure I believe this one as I suspect Dortmund are trying to negotiate on price)
Roberts bid made
Che to Wolves
Stewart in (bid accepted)
Aribo to Verona

If all that comes to pass then I'd be pretty happy as we could end up having a first team of

GK: Bazunu
RB: KWP
LB: Manning
CB: Harwood-Bellis, ABK
CM: Downes, Charles/Smallbone
AM: AArmstrong/Alcaraz
Wingers: Edozie/Fraser, Roberts/Amo-Ameyaw
CF: Stewart

That already looks a whole lot more balanced than last season with some real quality in the spine of the team. That's a team that's going to be exciting to follow. Not sure how Bednarek, Stephens or SArmstrong get a look in

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, coalman said:

Onuachu on loan to Metz
Mara to stay
ABK to stay (not sure I believe this one as I suspect Dortmund are trying to negotiate on price)
Roberts bid made
Che to Wolves
Aribo to Verona

If all that comes to pass then I'd be pretty happy as we could end up having a first team of

That already looks a whole lot more balanced than last season with some real quality in the spine of the team. That's a team that's going to be exciting to follow. Not sure how Bednarek, Stephens or SArmstrong get a look in

Personally, I'd like to see Bednarek as far away from St Mary's as humanly possible. Looks a lot better and hopefully some character in there as well. Who's your captain from that XI??

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coalman said:

Onuachu on loan to Metz
Mara to stay
Roberts bid made
Che to Wolves
Aribo to Verona

That would be a cracking squad.   Still prefer an upgrade on Manning; would be surprised if a deal isn't brokered for ABK and I can see S. Armstrong still playing a major role.     KWP staying remains the jewel in the crown for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Welcome THB! 

So squad summery and movement on deadline day, does it look something like this -

GK: Fine, we probably need to ship out McCarthy but I think he stays. If he went we'd need to source a 3rd keeper and I think we have too much going on in other positions.

RB: PLEASE KEEP KWP!!! Him with Bree as back up will be fine. We've been looking at RBs though I wonder if we're trying to ship Bree out rather than KWP. I will keep everything crossed tonight that KWP stays. 

LB: Manning, Larios and Meghoma. Fine. Can't see any movement there.

CB: Bednarek, Stephens, THB and Holgate. Should be enough with Charles as 5th choice. Bednarek goes? We need another. I can't see it but you never know. ABK to go.

CM: Charles, Downes, Smallbone, Armstrong, Doyle, Alcaraz. I think we're done here.

AM/Wing: SAA, Edozie, Fraser, Aribo, Djenepo, Sulemana. We've said we want to replace Tella. Aribo and Djenepo surplus to requirements? Roberts in? Sulemana out? 

Striker: Well fuck me if this needs work today. AA, Adams, Onuachu, Mara, Ballard as it stands. Adams, Mara, Onuachu and Ballard could all go today leaving us with AA. Stewart in. SURELY we need a third striker. I'm really surprised we seem to be loaning Ballard out. Risky IMO. If we go into the meat of this season with AA and Stewart as our only two strikers we are in big trouble. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen. AA is not a striker (though he'll get a few) and Stewart's fitness is questionable. In SFC we trust!

I reckon they have a striker lined up. No way they will leave it this late.

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

Personally, I'd like to see Bednarek as far away from St Mary's as humanly possible. Looks a lot better and hopefully some character in there as well. Who's your captain from that XI??

Either KWP or Downes. Probably KWP as Downes is a loan in.

Johnson is a back up full back for a Premier league team now, don't see why he'd drop a division to be a back up full back for a Championship team. He's the KWP replacement or not coming IMO.

KWP is going to happen bloody quickly and out of absolutely nowhere now, 12 hours to go and not a single link of him going away for the entire 8 weeks of the window. But still feels like he will go.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 8

I know it’s short term thinking, but wonder if Mara staying is largely down to the fact we’d have no proper centre forward tomorrow at this rate. It’s looking very unlikely we’ll have someone in by the cut-off for tomorrow (12/1pm i think?) and Arma was much better when moved deeper last weekend. 

Edited by saintwbu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

People are clutching at straws if they think that Johnson coming doesn't mean KWP will be going. It's a bummer but I think it was always expected.

There’s no evidence at all to suggest KWP is going anywhere. He’s not been linked with anyone at any stage and no offers or enquiries have been made as far as we are aware

• Like 2

To @manji and all of 'cash sloshing about' mob who were saying the club was in great financial shape, even with relegation and didn't really need to sell that many players.

To date we have sold around £160m worth of players (with more to go today!)

and spent around £10m on new ones (4 loans, 2 free transfers and 1 player signing).

Edited by once_bitterne
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

Shocked! This is one of those "Never meet your heroes" moments. Trousers.....what HAVE you done? No coming back from this.....😔

To be honest i saw ryan fraser get to know him video yesterday and he said he liked taylor swift and i didnt think i could be more disappointed but yet again i've been proved wrong.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, manji said:

I reckon they have a striker lined up. No way they will leave it this late.

You've been telling us for the past 4 weeks we have someone better than Piroe and Adams coming in. Almost like you we're completely making it up.. who'd have thought it aye. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Hopefully Ben Johnson in is cover for KWP.

Both can also play left back and with Perraud gone and Meghoma largely untested (and Larios only back from a year out), there is definitely room for a versatile RB to slide across.

39 minutes ago, coalman said:

Onuachu on loan to Metz
Mara to stay
Roberts bid made
Che to Wolves
Aribo to Verona

Bednarek was superb for most of the game against QPR  - he had Sinclair Armstrong in his pocket once he’d figured out how to play him. His commitment has been great so far this season - and he has the experience we need at the back. He’s a level above the Championship - and maybe he’s become the leader at the back we have always needed him to be. I think the Villa experience taught him a lot. I’d play him over ABK all day long.

Maybe ABK has a higher ceiling - but all he’s really shown us is he’s a quitter when things get hard.

Now we could have said the same thing about Bednarek in the past - I’ll give you that.

if we don’t sell ABK I more or less expect him to go on strike until January.

Edited by Rebel
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Johnson is a back up full back for a Premier league team now, don't see why he'd drop a division to be a back up full back for a Championship team. He's the KWP replacement or not coming IMO.

KWP is going to happen bloody quickly and out of absolutely nowhere now, 12 hours to go and not a single link of him going away for the entire 8 weeks of the window. But still feels like he will go.

Absolutely - no player goes from a PL reserve to a championship reserve. Throughout the window I've said that KWP or Tino will stay, but instinct says that he'll go today. Weirdly I think Man Utd will take him. 

7 minutes ago, once_bitterne said:

To @manji and all of 'cash sloshing about' mob who were saying the club was in great financial shape, even with relegation and didn't really need to sell that many players.

To date we have sold around £160m worth of players (with more to go today!)

and spent around £10m on new ones (4 loans, 2 free transfers and 1 player signing).

Jacob from the Athletic being the main culprit saying we would be the championship team that would spend the most this summer. Just goes to show sometimes this isjust guess work