Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread

whelk

For some reason I think we’ll get a draw. The only way we score goals is from free kicks or winning the ball high when teams play out - which Spurs will.

So I think we’ll score, but we will almost certainly concede - probably from a corner as they have players good in the air and we can’t defend corners at all.

it’s all a bit moot - we need wins and we don’t score enough to get them. I think it’ll be a good game though.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Thursday evening and no thread for a Saturday game? We all must have had enough

0-2 

Optimistic. I suppose we may keep it to two if spurs can't be bothered. 

Edited by Saint86

5 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Roll on next year and winning the championship at a canter 🙂

That's the spirit, get out of the PL circus and winning more games in a proper league. All together now...

"EI-EI-EIO up the football league we go, when we get promot..." ..................ah I see the problem here

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

That's the spirit, get out of the PL circus and winning more games in a proper league. All together now...

"EI-EI-EIO up the football league we go, when we get promot..." ..................ah I see the problem here

The other problem is presuming we go up the football league. This team probably has more chance of staying in the premiership than being promoted back up again next year.

I'm sure the players and manager still believe in survival but I've thought it's  een too late since the limp Leeds performance. The fact that a win against Spurs STILL doesn't rule us out of survival means the manager and players are probably right to believe safety can be achieved but it's very hard to believe that right now. 7 points from 4 games seemed decent and then we put in a shitty performance against Brentford. Is it any wonder why the fans feel defeated this season. It's like getting some punches in against Mike Tyson and dreaming we're going to smash his face in only for one punch to drop us to the canvas. Still, let us be the fart in the lift and linger a bit longer. Saints win. (Where's my white coat...)

Put the strongest side out every game for the rest of the season (not Diallo, Bree, Moi, Adam) and at least we can try to go out on a high.

Saints 1-0 Spuds just to wind us up and get us dreaming of survival again. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

1-4.

We will huff and puff, Ruben will tell us he loves the club and is working very hard to get us out of this.

Fans will have given up and sing lots of songs about hating Pompey, with a few gestures thrown towards the directors box.

Will you be there or just judgemental on your keyboard 

(1) So no Walker/Peters, Half a game for Walcott and Lavia.

(2) The strikers won’t score from shitty floating crosses.

(3) Elynoussi, Adam Armstrong, Mara and Diallo will probably play some part of this game.

(4) Kane, Richarlson & Son love playing us.

(5) We are utter shit at home (utter shit away too)

(6) Played on Wednesday while Spurs are rested.

(7) We have not scored more than 2 goals at home since 1998.

2-1 to Saints!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I believe the opposition makes little difference when we are at home. The players clearly have issues playing in front of the home crowd. Nervous, lacking confidence and hearing those negative remarks from some in the crowd. All these factors means we are crap at home and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

FWIW, I think we could well win this if we get Spurs on one of their flaky days and we are up for it. But with our negative bunch at SMS we really need to go in front early on to get the crowd onside.

If I had to call it, I would go 1-2 sadly.

48 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I believe the opposition makes little difference when we are at home. The players clearly have issues playing in front of the home crowd. Nervous, lacking confidence and hearing those negative remarks from some in the crowd. All these factors means we are crap at home and that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

FWIW, I think we could well win this if we get Spurs on one of their flaky days and we are up for it. But with our negative bunch at SMS we really need to go in front early on to get the crowd onside.

If I had to call it, I would go 1-2 sadly.

Not sure our poor home record has much to do with the fans. More likely it's caused by our inability to play against teams who employ a low block. We are incapable of breaking them down as we play far too slowly and mainly pass sideways and backwards. We then just get picked off on the break or concede from a set piece - it really is easy for away teams. Until we learn a system that works against a low block it will continue but not sure we have the players capable of doing it.

• Like 1

Selles will start with Moi and Diallo to prove a point. Maybe even change the formation that has seen us spawn the odd lucky win. We will lose. Teams around us will pick up points. The gap will open up. That will be that.

0-3 Spurs.

I hope I’m wrong. I hate Spurs.

12 minutes ago, saintant said:

Not sure our poor home record has much to do with the fans. More likely it's caused by our inability to play against teams who employ a low block. We are incapable of breaking them down as we play far too slowly and mainly pass sideways and backwards. We then just get picked off on the break or concede from a set piece - it really is easy for away teams. Until we learn a system that works against a low block it will continue but not sure we have the players capable of doing it.

Nothing to do with the fans. You’d hardly notice that they were there.

3-0 Spuds 

Why would anyone pay to watch us at home....

You get more of a atmosphere having a Pot Noodle, quick tug and watching Homes under the hammer.

St Fairy's is like a graveyard 😅 

Edited by ally_uk
Spell
  • Haha 2

When we can’t beat Grimsby, or any other number of mediocre teams, you know the games up. We can’t score goals…there’s very little indication that the team know how to utilise each other to score goals. With the slow ponderous pace Saints play in possession, Spurs will easily counter any attack to the point where we’ll perhaps muster 1 or 2 shots on goal and even those might not be on-target.

I can see Selles setting us up not to lose rather than trying to win, so the best result I might imagine in that scenario would be 0-0, but we all know that’s not going to happen unless the game is cut down to 15 minutes per half.  Spurs however have goals in abundance in their side, so in reality I’m expecting a 0-3 embarrassment and the usual post match excuses.

Reckon the team will be…

Bazunu

AMN. Bednarek. ABK. Perraud.

JWP. Diallo

Alcarez. Ely-no-usey.

Che. Theo.

Only possible change to the above is that Lavia may start as they will be thinking he’ll need to be in the shop window against a top 6 side starting around now ready for a summer sale.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
Typo

Personally i’ve always fancied us more in this game than the Brentford game. Spurs are absolutely wedded to the 5 at the back they use, so much so that they took off an attacker in order to bring a fifth defender back on when Romero got sent off against Milan despite trailing. They have to beat us, so they won’t be sitting back, I think it suits us far more. 

• Like 1

Can't see us touching them tomorrow, could be a spanking. Still going (fairly begrudgingly) but as much for a beer and moan as for the game itself.....and we won't be in this league long so need to enjoy while we can.

Watching the game on Wednesday, looking up at the rain and floodlights.....had a real EFL mid-week feel to it. Won't be long now chaps/chapesses.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic