James Ward-Prowse

harvey

1 hour ago, egg said:

Our posts crossed! Newcastle would be a great move for him. Champions league, playing in a time not fighting at the bottom, etc. I could see a squad role at lots of clubs, but he's a workhorse and if hate to see him go and do a Kalvin Phillips somewhere. The Newcastle fans would love him. 

Limited value to Newcastle though surely? Not better than Bruno or Joelinton for the roles they perform, and they have Trippier for set pieces.

Edited by Saint86

15 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Limited value to Newcastle though surely? Not better than Bruno or Joelinton for the roles they perform, and they have Trippier for set pieces.

Wouldn't he slot next to bruno instead of one of longstaff or willock? In the 433 formation they play?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Forest perhaps might not be a bad shout for him?

Its a really shit move for him, much like suggestions of Palace, Everton and even Villa / Brighton are. He's a big fish in a small pond here. Villa aside, he wouldn't be significantly increasing his salary by moving to any of those clubs and might get the odd season in the europa / conference league.  

A move to any of those clubs would literally be just to play in the PL - he's swapping being the captain and poster boy for the PL. I don't see any of them buying him either, given the price we'd demand. 

I've said before, I might be biased, but genuinely I think he'd be better off sticking around 1 extra year to try and get us back, than join any of those clubs.. Like Grealish did at Villa. 

He'd fit in well at Newcastle (for now), he's a typical Eddie Howe type of player and would get minutes due to the additional demand of the CL. However, when Eddie gets the boot, he would fade away into obscurity. There's no longevity at Newcastle. 

He's a bang average mid-table PL player, he suits us. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Completely different player to both Bruno and Joe Linton. Probably more similar to Longstaff, or maybe Willock. Newcastle have some great players but probably are a bit light in holding midfield. Declan Rice would be their ideal choice but I can’t see him going there so JWP might be a good one for them for a season or two until they can attract some really big names.

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Completely different player to both Bruno and Joe Linton. Probably more similar to Longstaff, or maybe Willock. Newcastle have some great players but probably are a bit light in holding midfield. Declan Rice would be their ideal choice but I can’t see him going there so JWP might be a good one for them for a season or two until they can attract some really big names.

Without trying to spark the debate again, but failing Rice would Phillips not be a better option? For me he would (if he can stay fit). More longevity there and for me, he is a genuine top 6 player. 

Edited by Dman

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Without trying to spark the debate again, but failing Rice would Phillips not be a better option? For me he would (if he can stay fit). More longevity there and for me, he is a genuine top 6 player. 

I think Phillips is a better player, certainly. Whether Newcastle can get him and afford his wages, don’t know. It would be a better signing but not sure if I see it happening.

17 minutes ago, Dman said:

Its a really shit move for him, much like suggestions of Palace, Everton and even Villa / Brighton are. He's a big fish in a small pond here. Villa aside, he wouldn't be significantly increasing his salary by moving to any of those clubs and might get the odd season in the europa / conference league.  

A move to any of those clubs would literally be just to play in the PL - he's swapping being the captain and poster boy for the PL. I don't see any of them buying him either, given the price we'd demand. 

I've said before, I might be biased, but genuinely I think he'd be better off sticking around 1 extra year to try and get us back, than join any of those clubs.. Like Grealish did at Villa. 

He'd fit in well at Newcastle (for now), he's a typical Eddie Howe type of player and would get minutes due to the additional demand of the CL. However, when Eddie gets the boot, he would fade away into obscurity. There's no longevity at Newcastle. 

I guess what I'm saying is that Forest might be the type of club that would be willing to stump up the kind of money we would demand (they have form for it, plus are paying Lingard an absolute fortune in wages).  I'd personally like him to stay, but not convinced there's much chance of that. 

38 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

JWP's strengths aren't holding midfield though - he's better as all round central midfielder or playing further forward. He's played there for us because needs must (alternatives being diallo or AMN). If a team is out for a holding/defensive midfielder they shouldn't be going all out for JWP imo given what we'll ask. Newcastle already have Bruno and Joelinton as CMs, yes they are different players, but i can't see the value for Newcastle in signing JWP when they already have two very good central midfielders. I agree though, they might well go out and sign a ready made holding midfielder - like philips or say... lavia.

Edited by Saint86

1 hour ago, HKsaint said:

Is it possible for JWP to have a  loan move next season and  then come back when we return to the premier leagues after next season? 

I'd thought this, maybe a team in Europe who need squad depth for league matches, because they'd be able to afford his wages, but aren't outlaying a substantial fee for someone who wouldn't have a re-sale value. Then if we aren't promoted, we look to move him on.

Feels nailed on for him to go to Spurs to be with his bestie Fraser Forster. That and they like players like JWP (style over substance, generally, but pretty damned good for a season back there with Oriel to do the hard stuff next to him). Takes a good free-kick, but can't get hold of a game and boss it. Hope we can still get top dollar for him by playing the show-reel and editing out the crab-like side to sides.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

JWP is too slow for a team that expects to be in the top 6.

Is Gundogan not just as slow as JWP? he doesnt do to bad at city. didnt he get a brace againts Real too? Busquets at Barca - Jorginho also says hi - Toni Kroos is slow as hell too

Muller doesnt do to bad at bayern either.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mosin said:

Is Gundogan not just as slow as JWP? he doesnt do to bad at city. didnt he get a brace againts Real too? Busquets at Barca - Jorginho also says hi - Toni Kroos is slow as hell too

Muller doesnt do to bad at bayern either.

I wouldn't put JWP in quite the same bracket as those players!

24 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wouldn't put JWP in quite the same bracket as those players!

That wasnt the point being made, i quote " JWP is too slow for a team that expects to be in the top 6." those i mentioned are all just as slow as JWP, some was considered the best in the world when in top form. and tbh, JWP makes top 6 creators whilst playing at Saints with a team mostly devoid of any footballing talent, If you dont think he would perform even better with a team full of much better players, well thats upto you.

Some thing tells me, JWP playing with out the pressure of the whole club on him, and with a team full of players expected to win games on their own and not him tells me he would perform far better at a club like United / Liverpool / City / Newcastle / gunners and chelsea where he would have far far more belief in those around him it would free teh shackles he has to wear playing DM at Saints.

Edited by Mosin
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, Mosin said:

That wasnt the point being made, i quote " JWP is too slow for a team that expects to be in the top 6." those i mentioned are all just as slow as JWP, some was considered the best in the world when in top form. and tbh, JWP makes top 6 creators whilst playing at Saints with a team mostly devoid of any footballing talent, If you dont think he would perform even better with a team full of much better players, well thats upto you.

JWP is too slow and is not an elite footballer like those you mentioned to make up for it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, HKsaint said:

Is it possible for JWP to have a  loan move next season and  then come back when we return to the premier leagues after next season? 

I'd put that in the possible but quite unlikely category HK my old pal.

Edited by stknowle

11 hours ago, Dman said:

I struggle to agree with most of your post.

Any move he makes will earn him about £2.5m a year more than at our place. If that is not a significant increase in salary, I don't know what is.

"just to play in thePL". What do you mean `just'. That's what professional footballers strive for their whole lives to play at the top level. It's not a small thing.

Captaincy is not the be all and end all. Being a poster boy is great, bit so too is playing in a side going somewhere, with top quality players that may elevate your game.

You might be right about him going nowhere, but who knows what our price is and whether it presents value elsewhere.

He wont be better off staying here. Not in a financial or footballing sense. 

`He'd fit in well at Newcastle' but he is `bang average mid table PL player'?  Tell me how that works.

11 hours ago, Dman said:

different type. Phillips is much more dynamic. He's all about the high energy press, hassling opponents, preventing them settling. JWP doesn't cover the ground quickly enough or get close enough to opponents to do that job. JWP more of a crab, get it and move it on type. He keeps things ticking over. Not sure which Newcastle need more.  

• Like 3

My opinion of him has dropped significantly in the last couple of days.

Not because of real world stuff, but because he’s kicking off a stink in the dressing room on my FM save.

Transfer window has just slammed shut as I begin my fourth season and he is angry that we “haven’t got enough depth at LB” despite having three and the fact we’re in the Champions League.

Apologies James, that Aaron Hickey, James Justin and Juan Larios are not good enough cover for you.

Ungrateful sod.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

My opinion of him has dropped significantly in the last couple of days.

Not because of real world stuff, but because he’s kicking off a stink in the dressing room on my FM save.

Transfer window has just slammed shut as I begin my fourth season and he is angry that we “haven’t got enough depth at LB” despite having three and the fact we’re in the Champions League.

Apologies James, that Aaron Hickey, James Justin and Juan Larios are not good enough cover for you.

Ungrateful sod.

hahahahahhahaha legit - now spend today playing russell martin tactics with his assumed squad for next year and let us know how we get on.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

hahahahahhahaha legit - now spend today playing russell martin tactics with his assumed squad for next year and let us know how we get on.

12th placed finish, 6th place finish, 3rd place finish on GD (three points separated 3rd to 8th).

But no, three fucking LB’s isn’t enough for him.

Might just demote him. 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Chez said:

different type. Phillips is much more dynamic. He's all about the high energy press, hassling opponents, preventing them settling. JWP doesn't cover the ground quickly enough or get close enough to opponents to do that job. JWP more of a crab, get it and move it on type. He keeps things ticking over. Not sure which Newcastle need more.  

Newcastle's success all season has been built on being quick, powerful, athletic and just playing at a tempo that teams haven't been able to cope with. The antithesis of JWP. I also can't see why West Ham would seem him as a replacement for Rice who has all of these qualities too.

He's off though and it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Brighton as a MacAllister replacement maybe (a significant downgrade though)? I struggle to see him being a success at any of the top 7 or 8

14 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

Newcastle's success all season has been built on being quick, powerful, athletic and just playing at a tempo that teams haven't been able to cope with. The antithesis of JWP. I also can't see why West Ham would seem him as a replacement for Rice who has all of these qualities too.

He's off though and it will be interesting to see where he ends up. Brighton as a MacAllister replacement maybe (a significant downgrade though)? I struggle to see him being a success at any of the top 7 or 8

You say Brighton is a downgrade, but they are in Europe for the first time next season. Also easily commutable from Winchester. Lots to like about Brighton at the moment from a players perspective, even though I can't stand them. JWP going to them or Bournemouth is a sobering thought.

24 minutes ago, Verbal Kint said:

That kind of "athletic" football is not the "antithesis" of JWP at all. Its exactly what he can do, the guy's a bloody machine. He'd fit in at Newcastle or wherever.

It's just pathetic to filter all the shit that the rest of the club has been for the last two and half years at one players door and imply everything we've been terrible at is down to him - just because the team can't do it doesn't mean JWP can't do it.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Chez said:

what Crab or Crock.......................

JWP certainly deserves a send off tomorrow. He's been an outstanding professional for us and would probably start for a lower half prem team next season. I think he is a decent player but no more than that. Unfortuntely he hasn't been the leader we needed this season and it's best that he moves on. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Newcastle will be an amazing move for him if that happens, he should take that with both hands.

I reckon we'll get a decent $$ if they're the bidders too, given that they thought it was a good idea to spend £46m on Gordon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

That kind of "athletic" football is not the "antithesis" of JWP at all. Its exactly what he can do, the guy's a bloody machine. He'd fit in at Newcastle or wherever.

It's just pathetic to filter all the shit that the rest of the club has been for the last two and half years at one players door and imply everything we've been terrible at is down to him - just because the team can't do it doesn't mean JWP can't do it.

He's far too slow for it unfortunately. He has his strengths, keeping the ball well when playing at a slower tempo, but he is easily outpaced and outmuscled. Not his fault, he just isn't built that way.

I don't blame him at all for the last couple of seasons, just don't think he fits in with the way Newcastle play.

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

As long as the other wastes of space dont think its for them as well 🤣

Perhaps they should come over one at a time so we can show them our appreciation individually. What a pantomime that would be. There again, the whole season has been one big pantomime.

3 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

So far he's been linked with Spurs , West Ham , Newcastle , Villa , so fair chance he'll stay in the Prem . Of course these may be no more than being on these club's list of english players to keep their home grown players % in the limits .

why would any of those clubs need to worry about that?

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Are we allowed to clap him off tomorrow for the years of service, goals and great memories, or will that be frowned upon?

Sub him off with a minute to go. A rousing applause for a dignified exit for arguably a great servant to Saints

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Jonnyboy said:

He's almost past it now, it's a real shame he didn't break the free kick record whilst at Saints. He had plenty of time these last 3 months. A turd cherry on top of a shit heap of a season. 

There’s still tomorrow…..

• Like 1

On 26/05/2023 at 19:06, Convict Colony said:

JWP is too slow and is not an elite footballer like those you mentioned to make up for it.

JWP is too slow, but other players just as slow or slower are not to slow because they are elite mids? LOL was jorginho an elite mid before or after he joined chelsea or was it when he then gunners for 12 mill?? Kroos wasnt even considered a top player when bayern brought him, then sold him to real where he florished and became an elite mid...... Muller is hardly an elite mid when he is a striker. but same applys, he was not a top player for a long time after he joined bayern. Grealish couldnt buy an england cap BEFOR he joined City ( Not that he is slow, but this highlights my point ).

Ive never seen any player be regarded as Elite before they played at an elite club. Even KDB was not regarded as good till years after he left Chelsea, and only when City brought him did he turn out to be one of the best. How can you say how good a JWP would play surronded by players 3 - 5 times better than that at this club? If he had a decent striker up front, and he put 70 odd good chance into the box, how many assist you think he would get? here, a mere 4, but some thing tells me that having a player with finishing ability up front he would have far more than 4.

Even Tadic never got his deserved praise till he joined Ajax, after just half a season, he was considered one of the best....

Jose Fonte was slower than JWP, didnt stop him becoming a top top defender, some might even say he was world class, as he only got better and better with age, and went on to put in consistantly amazing performances both at club, and on the international stage, winning the euros, his lack of pace against some of the worlds fastest players certainly didnt hinder Portugal, or him.

I think you use his lack of pace as a stick to beat him with for no reason, He has been and is by far our best player, has created more chances than all of our attacking players put together ( Taking out Che though ) and is our top goal scorer, all from playing out of pisition, in the worst team in the league, that was scared to have possesion.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Played a blinder today.  Gutted he’s going.

Yes, but might ease the disappointment depending on how much we get for him, and how it is invested to bolster the team. (Not optimistic on that front given our piss poor recruitment and those making the choices). 

• Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse