Worst performance on the season?

Dusic

This is a very difficult question to answer.

I am certain I have missed viable candidates but surely shouts for these:

Villa away under Ralph

Newcastle home under Ralph

Lincoln home under Jones

Brighton home under Jones

Forest home under Jones

Brentford away under Jones

West Ham away under Selles

Some absolute dross in these. I think Brighton at home wins for me because of the amount of prep time and semi-expectation that we might have developed something in the 6 weeks training only for there to be no dicernable plan.

We've had so many dreadful performances this season and I would add both Leeds away and Brentford (x2) to the pot. 

Looking through the league results this season we've hardly had any decent performances over 90 mins. The games below stood out from memory. 

Leicester away

Chelsea home

Utd home 

All the above were with Ralph. 

Under Jones - v City in league cup

Under Selles perhaps Chelsea away but Chelsea missed a lot of chances so on another day we could have lost that easily. 

Our wins against Bournemouth, Everton and Leicester were patchy performances. 

• Like 1

It has to be Grimsby, to be that dreadful against a struggling League 2 team at home was an all time low. I don’t think we even managed that under Burley or Poortvliet. Lincoln, Forest, Bournemouth and Wolves are solid nominations for varying reasons. Anyone who says Newcastle at home clearly wasn’t watching. On another day that game’s 2-2 and they’re a decent side.

• Like 1

So many contenders, but I think Forest at home was the worst. Up against the worst team in the league (bar ourselves) in a vital game with a new manager and all we did was hoof it aimlessly for 90 minutes and didn't even have a shot on target. There have been so many games this season where we just haven't turned up or had any discernible pattern of play.

Bournemouth at home for me without a doubt. Whilst it may not have been the worst from a technical point of view, the sheer lack of effort and urgency in a must win game was truly unforgivable. I’ve genuinely seen more effort in pre-season friendlies than what was on display in the Bournemouth game.

• Like 1

Had to be wolves home, the game was won, Jones then managed to un-win it by going ultra negative, (there is a recurring  theme here - looking at you Rasmus)! against 10 men.

It was a critical part of the season, we could have pushed on from there, instead we allowed Wolves some breathing space, as we have done with all of the other relegation contenders, except Leicester. 

• Like 1

I think the most disappointing for me was Bournemouth at home, we should have been fighting for our lives but were so flat for over two thirds of the game.

Objectively it's a toss up for worst performance between Forest and Wolves at home. Forest looked poor yet managed to win comfortably whilst losing to a Wolves team who played with 10 men for over an hour (and were 1-0 down !) is indefensible

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

It has to be Grimsby, to be that dreadful against a struggling League 2 team at home was an all time low. I don’t think we even managed that under Burley or Poortvliet. Lincoln, Forest, Bournemouth and Wolves are solid nominations for varying reasons. Anyone who says Newcastle at home clearly wasn’t watching. On another day that game’s 2-2 and they’re a decent side.

Newcastle game wasn’t a bad performance on the ball, but I don’t think I’ve been more embarrassed in my life at the state of the defending in that game. 

• Haha 1

From the games I've seen... Forest at home. No shots on target - Forest had one and they scored from it. Forest were as bad as anything I've seen this year - we were somehow worse. 

Grimsby in the cup was embarrassing but a cup upset can happen (even if it was League 2 vs Prem) - whereas we've stunk out the Premier League all season so I have to go for a league defeat.

• Like 3

Worst performance - Forest at Home. That was when it became obvious that the NJ experiment was never going to work.

Worst result - Chelsea away. Got RS the job and we’ve wasted the rest of the season, when it wouldn’t have taken much to stay up.

• Like 2

Wasn’t the worst but WH away was so insipid and slow and boring - it was unwatchable at times and just so desperately shit 

Think I gave up then as I could barely watch 

it’s scary there have been so many shit games and we are so far off premiership quality it’s unreal. 

8 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Wolves H or Grimsby.

Both of those deserve to be in the clubs all time hall of fame of pathetic performances, players who took part should be ashamed to show their faces , hard to take even now , those bloody blow up fish making us a laughing stock 

There are a few which stand out, sadly!

The ones for me are Forest at home, to this day I still don't know what we were trying to do. Forest hadn't won an away game all season prior to that, and funnily enough they haven't won another since. Says it all really.

Grimsby was just a shitter, awful. No real idea of how to break down a lower half L2 side, it was painful.

But for me the worst one is probably Wolves, to be playing against 10 men and with a 1-0 advantage at 70mins...but to STILL contrive to lose the game is nothing short of shambolic really, sums up the weakness of the players more than anything else.

• Like 3

Performance wise, I'd rank the displays something like this: 

Forest H
Wolves H
Grimsby (C) H
Villa A
Leeds A
Brentford A
Brentford H
Bournemouth H
Lincoln (C) H
West Ham A
Sheff Wed (C) H
Leicester H
Palace H
Spurs A
Newcastle (C) A
Brighton H
Villa H
Wolves A
Palace A
Fulham A
Everton H
Newcastle A
West Ham H
Palace (C) A
Blackpool (C) H
Cambridge (C) A
Leeds H
Newcastle H
Liverpool A
ManU A
Spurs H
Arsenal H
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
ManU H
Bournemouth A
Newcastle (C) H
Everton A
Leicester A
Chelsea H
Man City (C) H

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 04/05/2023 at 14:29, Saint Garrett said:

No contest - Forest at home.

Didn't have a shot on target. Passed the ball to Lyanco for him to lump it to nobody. Absolutely atrocious performance.

Forest at home was indeed the worst of the season. Loads of bad performances but that is I think the worst I've ever seen and I'd include the 9-0 games. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chez said:

Forest H
Wolves H
Grimsby (C) H
Villa A
Leeds A
Brentford A
Brentford H
Bournemouth H
Lincoln (C) H
West Ham A
Sheff Wed (C) H
Leicester H
Palace H
Spurs A
Newcastle (C) A
Brighton H
Villa H
Wolves A
Palace A
Fulham A
Everton H
Newcastle A
West Ham H
Palace (C) A
Blackpool (C) H
Cambridge (C) A
Leeds H
Newcastle H
Liverpool A
ManU A
Spurs H
Arsenal H
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
ManU H
Bournemouth A
Newcastle (C) H
Everton A
Leicester A
Chelsea H
Man City (C) H

Wow, that was a lot of work. I'm impressed with your patience and diligence in sorting through the huge pile of turds and ranking all of them. 👏

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Forest H
Wolves H
Grimsby (C) H
Villa A
Leeds A
Brentford A
Brentford H
Bournemouth H
Lincoln (C) H
West Ham A
Sheff Wed (C) H
Leicester H
Palace H
Spurs A
Newcastle (C) A
Brighton H
Villa H
Wolves A
Palace A
Fulham A
Everton H
Newcastle A
West Ham H
Palace (C) A
Blackpool (C) H
Cambridge (C) A
Leeds H
Newcastle H
Liverpool A
ManU A
Spurs H
Arsenal H
Arsenal A
Chelsea A
ManU H
Bournemouth A
Newcastle (C) H
Everton A
Leicester A
Chelsea H
Man City (C) H

As monumentally impressive as it is to actually be bothered to put that endless stream of sewage into some sort of order, I’ll have to disagree with the Arsenal games. The home game was a hard fought draw against a team who’d literally won every league game except Liverpool at that point, they were on fire. The recent trip to the Emirates by contrast was against a team badly lacking confidence who’d basically bottled it. They handed us two very soft goals and we still transpired to chuck a 3-1 lead in the 88th minute and looked almost certain to lose it thereafter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SoberSaint said:

What sums up the whole turgid season is the pure number of contenders. But for me, Forest at home was the worst I’ve seen in 55 years of watching Saints!

Questioning my sanity in attending the return on Monday!

Good for you for going. It’ll be like visiting a beloved friend who’s on their deathbed.

I am lucky, not in having a season ticket and seeing all the home games but managing to raze all detail from my brain. I was trying to remember when I last saw us win a league game and leave the ground in a positive state of mind but can't manage that either, but as Whitey said earlier, we've only won two at home all season.

Surpressing the memories is probably bad for me and the PTSD will hit next season..